shape
carat
color
clarity

Atlantic Hurricane Season in full swing - Please check in folks!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Northern VA here, and we've been feeling the effects already for a few days here. It went from 100 degrees on Thursday to 60 degrees this weekend. Lots of wind and rain... neither heavy, but still there. Forecast has us with rain and thunderstorms all week as Florence gets closer.

I'm NoVA too! My yard is a mud pit and we have a ton of very mature, tall trees. Hoping none decides to exit this world via my roof.

My parents live in Charleston, SC. The good news is that they're out of town on a trip and are actually flying into DC tonight instead of back home, so they don't have to deal with the evacuation. The bad news is that they've been gone for 2 weeks and didn't hurricane-proof their home before they left.

My husband, my sister, her husband, and I are supposed to head to NYC this weekend. I have no idea if Amtrak will still be running north; I saw they've cancelled routes south of DC already. The reason my parents are flying into DC and not to Charleston is that they're my babysitters for this weekend. Even if we can head up there, I'm concerned about leaving them, my kids, and our dog who's recovering from surgery in terms of potential power outages.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm NoVA too! My yard is a mud pit and we have a ton of very mature, tall trees. Hoping none decides to exit this world via my roof.

My parents live in Charleston, SC. The good news is that they're out of town on a trip and are actually flying into DC tonight instead of back home, so they don't have to deal with the evacuation. The bad news is that they've been gone for 2 weeks and didn't hurricane-proof their home before they left.

My husband, my sister, her husband, and I are supposed to head to NYC this weekend. I have no idea if Amtrak will still be running north; I saw they've cancelled routes south of DC already. The reason my parents are flying into DC and not to Charleston is that they're my babysitters for this weekend. Even if we can head up there, I'm concerned about leaving them, my kids, and our dog who's recovering from surgery in terms of potential power outages.
Yay! Another DMV person :dance:.

Sorry to hear about your parents though. Is there anyone they can contact to assist with prepping their home?? And, if it were me, I'd not go to NY. This thing is looking really bad and it's not the going UP I'd worry about so much as difficulty getting back. Maybe just make it a "whole family" weekend??

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending good thoughts to all and praying and hoping everyone stays safe. Super scary storm and hoping they got the prediction wrong and it won't be as awful as they say. :pray:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Down here we have tax free hurricane prepardness week the first week of June, which I take advantage of! But you'd be surprised by how many that dont and panic buy at the last minute. I go out to augment the emergency kit if I need to.

@Logan Sapphire glad that your parents won't be in the middle of the mess. Boarding windows and such...well...that only works if the roof dosen't get ripped off! The reality is, wood at big box stores isn't the best stuff for windows anyway. Did they have metal hurricane shutters? Any neighbor that can check on their place maybe?

The worst of it will be flooding, especially in flood prone areas, and tornadic activity/wind. The wind and the way it howls is something else.

Your folks will be safest at your place it sounds like. Def. keep checking amtrak they will cancel routes if too much flooding on the tracks.

Not many changes that I can see from the Hurricane Center, so will wait for the next update.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
National_Hurricane_Center_-_2018-09-11_21.02.06.png_-_2018-09-11_21.19.45.png

That area in the gulf is at 50% so at worst (maybe) a tropical storm. Texas is already getting lots of water and may be on the way to getting some more.

Flo is still a cat 4 but Isaac continues to weaken still will hit Lessor Antilles as a TS.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When is Flo supposed to hit?

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
WOW , Florence is HUGE. If you are in the evacuation areas PLEASE go to safety. Whitewave, the danger really starts Wednesday evening it looks like. the eye sometime Thursday.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This mroning Flo took a turn, interesting.
092830_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png
I kinda figured it would do this.
09-12-2018-092830_key_messages_sm.png
Down here its been very cloudy, some pretty interesting rain showers.
Here's the eastern side picture
09-12-2018-two_atl_2d0.png
The one thats now 60% looks like its going to concern mostly those in the gulf. Unless its unusually slow moving, I can't see that being more than a TS or TD. You can't always trust Mother Nature though.
1. Cloudiness and showers associated with a trough of low pressure over
the south-central Gulf of Mexico have decreased since yesterday
and the Air Force reconnaissance plane scheduled to investigate the
system for today will likely be cancelled. However, upper-level
winds are forecast to become a little more conducive for
development, and a tropical depression could still form Thursday or
Friday before the system reaches the western Gulf Coast. Regardless
of development, heavy rainfall and gusty winds are expected across
portions of northeastern Mexico, Texas, and Louisiana late this
week, and interests there should monitor the progress of this
system.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...medium...60 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...medium...60 percent.

Isaac will be thankfully a TS when it hits Lesser Antilles

Helene is doing some really interesting stuff. Maybe a depression if it reaches Europe?
09-12-18-083721_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We and our family are all in NC and SC, but none closer than 2 hours from the coast. However, we remember Hurricane Hugo very well, and we had Category 1 hurricane winds in our area after it came through Charleston and headed north. We had lots of trees down and no power for a week and our family in SC was without power longer. So yes, we take hurricanes seriously even though we are away from the coast. I am not worried about it, though, since we know what to possibly expect. Hoping it won't be like Hugo, though.

We have friends in Wilmington who are staying because her elderly parents refuse to leave! I'd give them a choice of going with me or being on their own.

Last edited:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We and our family are all in NC and SC, but none closer than 2 hours from the coast. However, we remember Hurricane Hugo very well, and we had Category 1 hurricane winds in our area after it came through Charleston and headed north. We had lots of trees down and no power for a week and our family in SC was without power longer. So yes, we take hurricanes seriously even though we are away from the coast. I am not worried about it, though, since we know what to possibly expect. Hoping it won't be like Hugo, though.

We have friends in Wilmington who are staying because her elderly parents refuse to leave! I'd give them a choice of going with me or being on their own.

Hugo was a monster. Hopefully it won't be anything like that. There's lots of people who won't leave for various reasons. It can be extremely expensive to do so or, they just don't think its worth it. Some live to tell the tale and I hope they're in that category.

I was only semi confident in Irma because of my location. Any closer to the coast I would have been gone. My friend in Palm Beach has a beachfront house and her and her partner went to Orlando... of course stayed in some very swanky hotel!!

Nothing to report at the moment.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have friends in Port Charlotte and I think it was Irma that came to that area? They stayed and we were worried about them, but that was a case where things weren’t quite as bad as predicted, thankfully. I surely that’s the case this time.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
0912-2018_two_atl_0d0.png

I'm tracking that thing in the Gulf intensly because its strenthening pretty fast. Also the other one in the middle of the atlantic is at 90%

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Florence is huge! She’ll be strenghtening as she hits warmer water as we speak. The flooding she’ll cause is going to be immense! Stay safe southeastern peeps!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Subtropical Joyce appeared. Thats my mom's name so I called her and told her to reign it in on the world stage:lol-2:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Subtropical Joyce appeared. Thats my mom's name so I called her and told her to reign it in on the world stage:lol-2:

My aunt’s name too lol

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm all over the place this morning. So Flo is a Cat2 which is good and I hope it stays that way! still, its a very big storm and the central pressure is still under 1000. A lot is riding on what that high pressure ridge is going to do today.

PPL in these areas, have your phone on you likely you'll get some alerts to get off the roads. A prayer for those who decided to stay, and a prayer for those who left. Neither decision is an easy one to make.
091318093018_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Where I am, the surf is pretty high. Winds are not too bad though, but lots of clouds/rain. Northern FL will get way more than we will down here.

Isaac is pushing through as a Tropical Storm. However everything north of the eye is going to feel it, including Puerto Rico (like they need that!)

Helene might hit as a Tropical Storm but it won't be anywhere near the US
helene085037_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Our friend in the gulf, I don't have a lot of info on. (local folks what are you being told about it?)
09132018two_atl_2d0.png

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So this is Flo at the moment. Praying it stays a cat2! I turned off the wind so its easily visible where it is right now being so close to the coast.
09-13-18152247_5day_cone_with_line.png

Def. Wilmington is going to take this one on the chin.

Interested folks can get the NHC podcast briefings
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/audio/

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are already getting some rain and wind here in Virginia. Should be an interesting few days!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I remember Hugo all too well... I grew up in Davidson, which was ravaged by Hugo. I was in undergrad in the Triangle area at the time and my dad decided to come up for an impromptu visit just to escape from the devastation. It took a few months to regain a sense of normalcy in the Charlotte area. Here's hoping that Florence does not follow suit!

I cannot imagine being in Wilmington and refusing to leave... Florence is a phenomenon in her own right and poses a serious thread. She is certainly nothing to trifle with! We live in eastern NC and although we are no longer directly in the path, we took a spontaneous trip to Williamsburg, in part to hedge our bets and move away from the storm and in part to give the kiddos a change of scenery. With three little boys ages 10 and under keeping them entertained is key and extended periods without power can be challenging (as we discovered during Hurricane Irene back in 2011!).

Please stay safe everyone... it looks like Florence could be one for the record books...

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are already getting some rain and wind here in Virginia. Should be an interesting few days!
My son and daughter in law are in Virginia too..They both work in DC..I hope it doesn’t get too bad for you guys..

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, I remembered that @mastercutgems is in the carolinas. I believe SC? anyone hear from them?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Stay safe people. HOLD FAST!

kind regards--Sharon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember Hugo all too well... I grew up in Davidson, which was ravaged by Hugo. I was in undergrad in the Triangle area at the time and my dad decided to come up for an impromptu visit just to escape from the devastation. It took a few months to regain a sense of normalcy in the Charlotte area. Here's hoping that Florence does not follow suit!

I cannot imagine being in Wilmington and refusing to leave... Florence is a phenomenon in her own right and poses a serious thread. She is certainly nothing to trifle with! We live in eastern NC and although we are no longer directly in the path, we took a spontaneous trip to Williamsburg, in part to hedge our bets and move away from the storm and in part to give the kiddos a change of scenery. With three little boys ages 10 and under keeping them entertained is key and extended periods without power can be challenging (as we discovered during Hurricane Irene back in 2011!).

Please stay safe everyone... it looks like Florence could be one for the record books...

Oh wow, your family was close to us! I am glad you took a little trip north since it looks like NC and SC will get the brunt of it. I am with you on it not being fun at AT ALL with little kids, no power, and storms outside!!! (If you ever come my way, I NEED to see your beautiful diamond rings and pendant!)

You know, I remembered that @mastercutgems is in the carolinas. I believe SC? anyone hear from them?

I believe NC. He's not on the coast. It's pretty much affecting the coastal counties most right now. We are supposed to have wind tomorrow, but the rain bands won't get here, they say, until early Saturday. Our schools are closed tomorrow.

Last edited:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm just joining this thread and trying to catch up. I'm in Connecticut, but my house (currently occupied only by my husband) is in northern Virginia. Not on the coast. The problem is that huge trees fall on our property all the time. One fell down and broke our Great Room widow. One came into-right across-our swimming pool. I am not afraid of water, as long as my husband is not stupid enough to leave the house, because it is on very, very high ground and not very near a body of water. But the wind and trees can be deadly. I'm due to go down there the last week of September to see one of my doctors; I hope the house is habitable by then!

I wish everyone in Florence's path the best of luck.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just saw this. Anyone else thinking about climate change and global warming?

Hurricane.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Praying for everyone's safety.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, your family was close to us! I am glad you took a little trip north since it looks like NC and SC will get the brunt of it. I am with you on it not being fun at AT ALL with little kids, no power, and storms outside!!! (If you ever come my way, I NEED to see your beautiful diamond rings and pendant!)

I believe NC. He's not on the coast. It's pretty much affecting the coastal counties most right now. We are supposed to have wind tomorrow, but the rain bands won't get here, they say, until early Saturday. Our schools are closed tomorrow.

Thank you for the info and keep us informed as to whats going on where you are in the coming days when you're able.

I'm a worryer...lol

alexah

Brilliant_Rock

You're so sweet to remember & be concerned about them! This is posted on their home page:

Wednesday, September 12th

Preparing for Hurricane Florence to hit the NC Coast this Friday

Dana and I have been receiving phone calls and e-mails about the storm and I just wanted to give you all an update. We are located about 240 miles inland from where they are predicting the storm will make landfall in Wilmington, NC.

We are preparing for high winds, flooding and the possibility of losing services for a few days. The stores have run out of emergency supplies. It is difficult to find bottled water, batteries or generators. Dana and I are always prepared so we are just making sure we have items picked up around the farm. I will keep you up to date as best as I can and if I lose internet service, it may be a few days before I am able to get back on-line.

Thank you all for your kind words and prayers.

Please be safe everyone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results