shape
carat
color
clarity

Atlantic Hurricane Season in full swing - Please check in folks!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And apparently from what I'm seeing, Florence is going to be pretty major. (DC and below please start your prep!)
On a personal safety note, I worry more about whats behind Florence as I'm in South Florida.
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/?atlc

hurricaneseason1.png

There's something north of Florence which worries me a bit.

Hawaii is in the way of Hurricane Olivia but forcasts are saying it may be a tropical storm by the time it gets there.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian, I was just looking at my world satellite map for that very reason. Right now Helene looks pretty big. I’m in Wyoming so I’m safe but worry about all of those living near the coast. Stay safe everyone.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate to wait until the last minute. I had my hurricane kit (food and flashlights) done by June because people do indeed panic buy. I'm going to call the company I ordered the whole house generator from to see when I'm scheduled for the install, but I'm hoping its soon. Thankfully I still have the smaller one here.

Last year I'm sure I wore everybody out....lol But Irma turned out to be pretty bad.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sailing from NY to Bermuda the first week of October :eek2:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sailing from NY to Bermuda the first week of October :eek2:

You SHOULD be fine but maybe never say never? I've sailed along the edges of a hurricane (October 2007), and we missed one of our islands because it got hit. it was unsettling only in the interior of the ship, though the swells where about 35ft? (that made from a lot of rocking and rolling on deck 8!:lol-2:)

Keep close eye out on the forcasts for sure. Generally though they won't sail out there if they can't get around it safely.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nine became Isaac
hurricaneseason2.png

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely a good idea to be prepared. We were renting a beach house near Myrtle Beach 2 summers ago and had the eye of a tropical storm go over us. It started as a hurricane that hit Florida and then traveled up the coast; I don't remember the name of it though. That was pretty amazing for a girl from Wyoming. I'm more used to blizzards. LOTS of rain and wind.

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
And here we go again. (NE Florida resident here. About 10 miles or less to the Atlantic for us.) Time to stock up and make sure we check our generator.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are fortunate in CT and especially where we live (the center) that hurricanes tend to go around us. However this looks like an especially active season so worth keeping an eye on.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been watching closely as I am flying to France on Tuesday. We are 2 hours from the coast. Should be OK for the flight, but praying there is no damaging weather for my horses.
My thoughts go out to all of you who are on the East coast front line, and let’s hope this one decides to make that curve out and away to sea!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely a good idea to be prepared. We were renting a beach house near Myrtle Beach 2 summers ago and had the eye of a tropical storm go over us. It started as a hurricane that hit Florida and then traveled up the coast; I don't remember the name of it though. That was pretty amazing for a girl from Wyoming. I'm more used to blizzards. LOTS of rain and wind.

Going through an eye is an incredible experience that I have had a few times in my life!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hurricane season comes so fast. I’ll never feel ready. Keeping all those affected in my thoughts and prayers and hoping everyone remains safe during this turbulent season. :pray:

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I grew up in earthquake territory. As a young adult, I moved to tornado country. In my 30s, I was dealing with blizzards. Now I live in hurricane land. I have experienced them all.

Mother Nature needs to give me a freaking break! :lol:

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope everyone stays safe...I just got back from South Carolina a week ago....I love that area and have started to think about retiring down there...I just never really think about hurricane's....makes me stop and really think about it all....

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hurricaneseason3.png

So this is the update at the moment for those who are following:

Florence is a Cat1
Issac still a Tropical Storm
Helene is a Cat1
Something is forming near the gulf (according to what I was reading it might not turn into anything)

I remember seeing that they're dropping some predictions for Florence. Again, it will still be a major hurricane by landfall likely so please be prepared. If anything Florida might see some wind, as long as they don't upgrade predictions for us.

@diamondringlover Don't let a few hurricane's freak you out ;)) You can go for years without one actually making landfall, and SC is absolutely beautiful.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I grew up in earthquake territory. As a young adult, I moved to tornado country. In my 30s, I was dealing with blizzards. Now I live in hurricane land. I have experienced them all.

Mother Nature needs to give me a freaking break! :lol:

Ohsomethingshiny; you certainly have felt Mother Nature's wrath. I've had my share of blizzards, hail and wind.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Going through an eye is an incredible experience that I have had a few times in my life!
Whitewave, it was pretty impressive to a Wyoming girl. Hours and Hours of torrential rains and wind. We have the wind here in Wyoming but the heavy rains last 20 minutes then they are gone.

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
North East Florida here. About 5 minutes to the Coast. We are prepared and watching the storms. The hardest part for us is the horses. We have to keep a close eye on that. It can be problematic to evacuate because of that.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hm... a 3 way? :lol-2: (I know but its late!!)

Anybody know when is the last time this happened?
hurricaneseason4.png

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Earthquakes don’t much scare me. We have been in them at the epicenter, although they could definitely be worse than what we have experienced. Hurricanes and tornados freak me out. Hoping everyone stays safe and dry!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
from NOAA
090119_key_messages_sm.png

Right now Florence is a 2. The current trajectory is Virginia/NC/SC mainly. Does not mean that outside of that cone that folks won't feel it. And as it goes inland, the winds will be quite high (they don't just die at the coast!)

I'm told that from collegues that work around DC that the area has had a lot of wet weather lately and this will just add to that.

@luv2sparkle I have to admit, I really hate and am extremely scared of earthquakes. I've been through them, lived through that monstrosity in 1989 in SanFran. That was my first. The aftershocks are what made it worse for me.

with a hurricane there's at least some warning.

Tornadoes...well I grew up in the alley so I got used to that...lol

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Northern VA here, and we've been feeling the effects already for a few days here. It went from 100 degrees on Thursday to 60 degrees this weekend. Lots of wind and rain... neither heavy, but still there. Forecast has us with rain and thunderstorms all week as Florence gets closer.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave thats impressive! And scary!...lol
I tend to stick with NOAA. I know its not as lively looking...lol...but they keep it very factual.

So according to NOAA, its now a cat 4. great. here's the bulliten
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCUAT1+shtml/101556.shtml

below is the bulliten for those who don't really want to click through to a .gov site (yeah its too late for me, save yourselves...lol)
WTNT61 KNHC 101556
TCUAT1

Hurricane Florence Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL062018
1200 PM AST Mon Sep 10 2018

...FLORENCE BECOMES A CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE...

Data from a NOAA Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicate that Florence
has continued to rapidly stregthen and has maximum sustained winds
near 130 mph (195 km/h). The latest minimum central pressure based
on data from the aircraft is 946 mb (27.93 inches).

SUMMARY OF 1200 PM AST...1600 UTC...INFORMATION
---------------------------------------------------
LOCATION...25.0N 60.2W
ABOUT 575 MI...925 KM SSE OF BERMUDA
ABOUT 1230 MI...1985 KM ESE OF CAPE FEAR NORTH CAROLINA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...130 MPH...195 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...W OR 280 DEGREES AT 13 MPH...20 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...946 MB...27.93 INCHES

$$
Forecaster Blake

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Disturbance in the gulf now with 40% chance of development by Texas/Louisiana. DH is home today and going to service the generator for good measure.

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There still hasn't been much of a Northward shift. I hope that the areas South of the cone are watching this closely.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
And apparently from what I'm seeing, Florence is going to be pretty major. (DC and below please start your prep!)
On a personal safety note, I worry more about whats behind Florence as I'm in South Florida.

hurricaneseason1.png

There's something north of Florence which worries me a bit.

Hawaii is in the way of Hurricane Olivia but forcasts are saying it may be a tropical storm by the time it gets there.
I live in Pa but have a second house in Maryland close to the water that says we have a chance of a tropical storm. My house was built in 1905 so hope the old girl can withstand the winds if we do get the tropical storm. Downtown is already flooded from all the rain. My son and daughter in law live in northeast va and works in DC. I’m praying it misses them..:pray:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The current 5 day cone for Florence.
092646_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

and this is the total of whats going on.
09-11-18-two_atl_2d0.png

Isaac is a tropical storm at the moment but who knows if it will strenthen (lets hope not!)
Helene is a Cat 2 still

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A quote from this morning’s update:

“The last time the midsection of the East Coast stared down a hurricane like this, Dwight Eisenhower was in the White House and Marilyn Monroe and Joe DiMaggio were newlyweds.”

Great o_O

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
A quote from this morning’s update:

“The last time the midsection of the East Coast stared down a hurricane like this, Dwight Eisenhower was in the White House and Marilyn Monroe and Joe DiMaggio were newlyweds.”

Great o_O
Oh boy..:shock:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results