shape
carat
color
clarity

Atlantic Hurricane Season in full swing - Please check in folks!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
093211_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Flo is just now coming ashore

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thinking of you all stay safe everyone!!!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
an update on Flo https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCUAT1+shtml/141559.shtml?

WTNT61 KNHC 141559
TCUAT1

Hurricane Florence Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL062018
1200 PM EDT Fri Sep 14 2018

...FLORENCE WOBBLING SLOWLY WESTWARD OVER EXTREME SOUTHERN NORTH
CAROLINA...

NOAA Doppler weather radar data and surface observations indicate
that the center of Hurricane Florence has turned back toward west.
An erratic motion between westward and west-southwestward is likely
today.

During the past hour, a station operated by Weatherflow at Federal
Point, North Carolina, reported a sustained wind of 56 mph (90 km/h)
and a gust to 72 mph (116 km/h), a sustained wind of 53 mph (85
km/h) and a gust to 72 mph (116 km/h) was observed at Mercer Pier in
Wrightsville Beach, and a sustained wind of 51 mph (82 km/h) and a
gust to 75 mph (121 km/h) was measured at the Wilmington offshore
buoy. In addition, an Amateur Radio operator in Oak Island near
Cape Fear, North Carolina, recently reported a sustained wind of 68
mph (109 km/h) and a gust to 87 mph (140 km/h).

Some Hurricane Florence heavy rainfall reports received thus far --

18.53 inches Oriental, NC
14.07 inches Surf City, NC
13.81 inches WFO Morehead City, NC
13.07 inches Jacksonville, NC

SUMMARY OF 1200 PM EDT...1600 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...34.0N 78.2W
ABOUT 25 MI...45 KM WSW OF WILMINGTON NORTH CAROLINA
ABOUT 45 MI...75 KM ENE OF MYRTLE BEACH SOUTH CAROLINA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...80 MPH...130 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...SW OR 270 DEGREES AT 6 MPH...9 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...964 MB...28.47 INCHES

$$
Forecaster Stewart

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stay safe everyone:!:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker-

Do you have power? Are you OK?

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are already getting some rain and wind here in Virginia. Should be an interesting few days!

How has it been for you, ILikeShiny? I don't think it is bad in northern Virginia where our house is and Washington, DC. Florence turning towards South Carolina made them cancel some warnings there. But I am not there to see and you are apparently in southern Virginia.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are about 180 miles west of the NC coast and it's largely been a wind gust & rain event here with a few tornado warnings mixed in. Also a few trees down in our area, but so far, it's only property damage here.

Words cannot describe the flooding taking place along our coast and areas just inland from there due to the storm surge.

Three deaths were confirmed in NC just a bit ago - a woman suffered a heart attack and rescuers could not get to her in time due to the conditions in that area; and a mother and infant died following a tree falling on their home. All 3 were at/near the coast. While sad - given the devastation there - I am surprised and glad there aren't more being reported. It seems many followed the evacuation orders which is good; however, this storm is far from over.

Stay safe everyone!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Correction - just as I hit 'post', the governor announced they are not including the woman/heart attack victim in their 'hurricane-related death toll'; but there was another 3rd victim who died plugging in a generator.

I personally don't get how one is/is not related, and regardless, lives are lost. :(2

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How has it been for you, ILikeShiny? I don't think it is bad in northern Virginia where our house is and Washington, DC. Florence turning towards South Carolina made them cancel some warnings there. But I am not there to see and you are apparently in southern Virginia.
I’m in northern VA. So far it’s pretty quiet. Still the breeziness and spittles of rain off and on. The air feels different though... kind of ominous in a way. The sky is staying gray and cloudy too. From what I’m reading, it’ll be a long time... maybe 4-5 more days... before we get the worst of what we’ll get (whatever that is).

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Correction - just as I hit 'post', the governor announced they are not including the woman/heart attack victim in their 'hurricane-related death toll'; but there was another 3rd victim who died plugging in a generator.

I personally don't get how one is/is not related, and regardless, lives are lost. :(2

I agree. It's all related and very, very sad. It could be any of us or anyone we loved. Thank you for caring.

AGBF

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now 5 deaths in NC. And many rescues still are pending as the rescue crews cannot get into some areas. The people who did not heed the evacuation orders and/or who drive through obviously flooded areas requiring rescue anger me to no end. We had PLENTY of warning about this storm, so there is no excuse, IMO. It’s selfish and pisses me off because they put others’ lives at risk when they do that.

Jim Cantore and the Weather Channel coverage show you what the weather is doing where, where roads are washed out, etc., and that is informative. But the real human side of this story that gets missed on the national channels really comes by watching the local coverage. I am so touched by all of the community care by those who live in the impacted areas helping their neighbors as well as people who have come from out of state to volunteer help with rescue efforts. A large gathering of people who came to a church in Lumberton (that was just rebuilt after Matthew destroyed it) to help fill sandbags in an effort to protect it from damage from another flood. A local broadcaster and the FEMA workers helping rescue dogs that were stranded, one of which was the service dog of a boy who’s birthday is today.

The flooding, destruction, damage, and loss of life sucks ... but the people - police, rescuers, firefighters, EMS, neighbors, strangers - are truly beautiful and inspiring. And our local broadcast journalists have been doing an outstanding job IMO of showing the human side of natural disasters like this. I wish those who aren’t local but interested in what’s going on could see that news coverage.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now 5 deaths in NC. And many rescues still are pending as the rescue crews cannot get into some areas. The people who did not heed the evacuation orders and/or who drive through obviously flooded areas requiring rescue anger me to no end. We had PLENTY of warning about this storm, so there is no excuse, IMO. It’s selfish and pisses me off because they put others’ lives at risk when they do that.

Jim Cantore and the Weather Channel coverage show you what the weather is doing where, where roads are washed out, etc., and that is informative. But the real human side of this story that gets missed on the national channels really comes by watching the local coverage. I am so touched by all of the community care by those who live in the impacted areas helping their neighbors as well as people who have come from out of state to volunteer help with rescue efforts. A large gathering of people who came to a church in Lumberton (that was just rebuilt after Matthew destroyed it) to help fill sandbags in an effort to protect it from damage from another flood. A local broadcaster and the FEMA workers helping rescue dogs that were stranded, one of which was the service dog of a boy who’s birthday is today.

The flooding, destruction, damage, and loss of life sucks ... but the people - police, rescuers, firefighters, EMS, neighbors, strangers - are truly beautiful and inspiring. And our local broadcast journalists have been doing an outstanding job IMO of showing the human side of natural disasters like this. I wish those who aren’t local but interested in what’s going on could see that news coverage.
I understand your frustration about folks who didn’t heed the mandatory evacuation warnings. My DD is a paramedic and her safety is always on the line helping others. It really breaks my heart for all the animals caught in the flood waters. Stay safe @the_mother_thing!:wavey:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Bonfire First responders like your DD are a special, selfless breed, and I hate seeing them put in harms way so unnecessarily.

Just heard on the local news: 360 rescues in the town of New Bern alone so far, and another 140 rescues there ‘in the queue’ waiting ... that is 500 ‘opportunities’ where others’ lives are put at risk (in most cases) unnecessarily ... in ONE town. :nono:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just heard on the local news: 360 rescues in the town of New Bern alone so far, and another 140 rescues there ‘in the queue’ waiting ... that is 500 ‘opportunities’ where others’ lives are put at risk (in most cases) unnecessarily ... in ONE town. :nono:
This is what angers me the most in these situations. You want to be stupid and ignore the warnings, fine. But don’t expect anyone to come save you when you finally realize what a terrible mistake you made. People who did the right thing in leaving shouldn’t have to put their lives on the line to save those who didn’t.

wetsawblade

Rough_Rock
I remember Hugo all too well... I grew up in Davidson, which was ravaged by Hugo. I was in undergrad in the Triangle area at the time and my dad decided to come up for an impromptu visit just to escape from the devastation. It took a few months to regain a sense of normalcy in the Charlotte area. Here's hoping that Florence does not follow suit!

I cannot imagine being in Wilmington and refusing to leave... Florence is a phenomenon in her own right and poses a serious thread. She is certainly nothing to trifle with! We live in eastern NC and although we are no longer directly in the path, we took a spontaneous trip to Williamsburg, in part to hedge our bets and move away from the storm and in part to give the kiddos a change of scenery. With three little boys ages 10 and under keeping them entertained is key and extended periods without power can be challenging (as we discovered during Hurricane Irene back in 2011!).

Please stay safe everyone... it looks like Florence could be one for the record books...

Hi! I work in Davidson, live north a bit. It's still calm in iredell, some gusts & small rain sprays. We're prepared here, everyone remembers Hugo, as well as ice storms, a tornado & even an earthquake! Expecting lots wind & rain over weekend, will update when I can.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Checking in and hoping everyone is doing OK. Stay safe!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My house is outside Raleigh. Anyone here in that area who could report what it is like there?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My house is outside Raleigh. Anyone here in that area who could report what it is like there?

@Jimmianne here's what I found. Sending you good vibes and hugs. Hoping everyone including your animals remain safe and that the Hurricane doesn't do any damage. (((Hugs))).

https://abc11.com/weather/florence-how-much-damage-to-expect-in-the-triangle/4243467/

https://abc11.com/weather/watch-liv...s-ts-florence-drenches-the-carolinas/4229794/

Winds will be the highest in the Sandhills.

It will be wet most of the day with heavy rain at times and flash flooding will be possible along with more power outages.

Sunday should be a soggy day, but winds will die down.

Full coverage of Hurricane Florence

But so far, some damage has already been seen across Wake County.

On Misty River Drive in Raleigh, a home had a large tree fall directly on top of it, splitting the home in two.

The family who owns the house had not even lived there for more than a month when the storm crushed it.

Luckily, the family of five was unharmed.

...THE FLASH FLOOD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1100 AM EDT
SATURDAY FOR SOUTHEASTERN MOORE...SCOTLAND...WAYNE...SAMPSON...
HARNETT...CUMBERLAND...WAKE...JOHNSTON...WILSON AND HOKE COUNTIES...
At 157 AM EDT, Doppler radar indicated heavy rain across the warned
area. Flash flooding is already occurring. There also remains many
road closures currently ongoing across the warned area. Some of these
include:
Harnett
1) SR-1139 @ Tingen Rd
2) SR-1131 @ Autry Rd
3) SR-1203 @ Eva Marie Ln
4) Barbecue Church Rd @ Hoover Rd.
5) Mcdougald Rd. @ Falcon Rd.
6) Lawrence Rd @ Hollies Pines Rd.
7) Abattoir Rd. @ Johnston County Rd.
8) SR-1701 @ NC-27
9) SR-1705 @ May Ln.
10) SR-1705 @ Hobson Rd.
11) SR-1705 @ Brookleaf Dr.
12) SR-1720 @ Ashe Ave.
13) SR-2005 @ NC-27
14) SR-2009 @ NC-55
15) SR-2021 @ SR-2016
16) SR-2030 @ SR-2031
17) SR-2050 @ SR-2049
18) SR-2065 @ SR-1120
19) SR-2064 @ SR-2046
20) Rainey Dr. @ McKay Dr.
21) Darroch Rd. Nursery Rd.
Johnston
1) NC-242 @ SR-1116
2) NC-96 @ NC-50
3) Devils Racetrack Rd.
4) SR-1009 @ SR-1185
5) Beasley Rd. @ Raynor Rd.
6) SR-1201 @ SR-1007
7) Stephenson Rd. @ Penny Rd.
8) SR-2310 @ Brogden Rd.
9) Red House Rd @ Braswell Rd.
10) Quarterhorse Rd. @ Brogden Rd.
11) SR-2530 @ SR-2523
Moore
1) SR-1007 @ NC-24
2) SR-1805 @ Shaw Rd.
3) SR-1814 @ NC-24
4) Airport Rd @ Texas Ln.
5) Cypress Church Rd @ Boys Camp Rd.
6) SR-2014 @ SR-2015
7) Saunders Rd @ Churchill Downs Dr.
Scotland
1) NC-79 @ Spring Mill Rd.
2) Railroad St. @ Church St.
3) Main St. @ Church St.
Wayne
1) NC-581 @ Rosewood Rd
2) SR-1003 @ SR-1556
3) James Hinson Rd @ Stevens Mill Rd
4) SR-1236 @ NC-581
5) SR-1361 @ US-117
6) Antioch Rd. @ Wayne Memorial Dr.
7) Royall Avenue @ Cuyler Best Road
8) SR-1705 @ SR-1700
9) US-117 @ SR-1547
10) U.S. 70 @ North Herman St.
Some locations that will experience flooding include...
Raleigh, Fayetteville, Cary, Goldsboro, Laurinburg, Smithfield,
Clinton, Raeford, Lillington and Fort Bragg.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Generally speaking, the Triangle isn’t near as bad as the coast obviously, but has had a mixed bag of impacts from ‘just’ steady rain and ‘mild’ (comparatively) gusts to more severe wind gusts, trees down and heavy rains/flooding (e.g., the usual Crabtree Creek rise). It really just depends on where exactly your home is outside Raleigh (not suggesting you post that here; it’s just that the conditions are so varied with this storm even from neighborhood to neighborhood).

Do you - by chance - use the Nextdoor app? I have found that to be invaluable in knowing what is going on in my immediate area in terms of road closures, flooding, trees down, etc.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker-

Deb
Assuming she must be out. Praying she and her loved ones are ok.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been out of the pocket as its steam the floor day. Yuck. (and who knew how hard it was to get up dog slobber?)

I've never seen a storm move so slow.

The latest track
9-15-18152250_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fayetteville & all of Cumberland county just issued a mandatory evacuation for one mile on each side of the Cape Fear River, and the Fayetteville mayor said "if you choose not to evacuate, notify your next of kin now because this will quite possibly be a deadly event for those who choose to stay."

For those not in/familiar with the area, all of the rain that has come down north of that area as well as other tributaries feed into that river (and another to the east), and it is near the point of cresting at 62’ (four feet higher than Matthew). It will devastate that area and Fayetteville.

Also, two more deaths reported due to flash flooding.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today was interesting here. We took our dogs to DC, which is about 30 from where we live. We have been completely overcast for the last four days with lots of cloudy gray skies, winds, and periods of rain, and yet once we got near DC the sun came out and all clouds were white! Makes me think we’re just on the cusp of getting any real effects from the storm and should escape relatively unscathed :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker-

Deb

Assuming she must be out. Praying she and her loved ones are ok.

Y'all are so sweet, thank you! We are fine so far. We are expecting 5-8" of rain tonight and tomorrow. The storm has been agonizingly slow which has been devastating near the coast. So we've been just waiting. We have never had that much rain that I know of (Hurricane Hugo was faster moving and still category 1 when it got here so I don't know rain totals), so I don't know if we will lose power or not. I thought we might not be able to go out at all today, but the rain has been light thus far so I did run a couple of errands earlier today.

Glad to meet a few other NC people on this thread!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I, too, am frustrated with people who stayed and did not evacuate in mandatory evacuation areas. This is the saddest story I have heard. This was posted on the Weather Channel site. A tree fell on this home and killed a young mother and her baby and the husband was taken to the hospital. The emergency workers tried so hard to save them and it was pretty devastating for them that they couldn't. I don't know the situation and why they didn't leave, so I won't even go there. It's still heartbreaking.

Screenshot (35).png

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coast Guard choppers have rescued at least 50 in and around the New Bern and Jacksonville area. Forecasters have predicted all along that Florence would be a very slow moving storm that would dump 20-30 inches of rain in some areas along with 6-10 foot storm surge. The danger would be the flooding. It’s extremely sad that people either don’t believe the warnings or aren't in a position to evacuate. The effects of Florence is covering a large area. The damage to property is going to be immense, but lost lives is beyond sad. :cry2::(2

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bonfire I think its a case for some of not being able to evacuate. Same thing happened here. I'm behind the last manditory evacuation zone in my city (literally its at the freeway), did talk to those who lived in zones A and B... so many couldn't leave because they would end up losing jobs, or, just didn't have money or transportation to do so.

Plus getting out of harms way was...chaotic. I-95 was a nightmare (as was the turnpike) out of South Florida and more than a few people ran out of gas. And while speaking of gas, that was in pretty short supply. This is why I try to have enough by June1 when the season starts, then put it in my car if I don't use it during the season.

And the realtor that I purchased this house through left Sunshine and went to Tampa. Tampa got hit way worse than Sunshine did:eek-2: Irma was all over the place though. Same thing happened to one of my friends, they when to what was supposed to be a safer place and well....wasn't!

Yes indeed you SHOULD leave if you're able to especially for manditory zones, but is not always black and white and its also not always about being stubborn either. So I try to be empathetic to that fact.

I stayed during Irma because it was a cat 3 and not a 4 (I would have left if it had been cat4), and we lost power but otherwise did ok (some were not as lucky and lost roofs even in non manditory zones).

@diamondseeker2006 I'm glad you're doing well. Thanks for checking in:wavey:, some of us got kinda worried.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results