shape
carat
color
clarity

At what size does a 3-stone lose it's lovely aesthetic?

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04 - The diameter ratio of my new 3-stone is 65.1%. I put a quickie picture here: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...nto-a-3-stone-what-color-prongs.248529/page-2 (scroll down for dimensions. My finger is a 4.5 but the ring is a size 5 with sizing pads.)

The spread is wide enough so that I can't see any shank on either side from the top down, but if I look at it from the side, I do see a tiny sliver of gold. I feel my side stones are quite substantial and it's most definitely a 3-stone ring and not a soli with accent stones! When I was searching for my side stones, Caysie advised that I go with 5mm x 4mm, but these are a little larger than that and I think it still works!

I wanted substantial side stones but I did NOT want a "wall of bling" where they were so large that it would be hard to see each stone's distinct shape. I'm relieved to say that I think I achieved that. :geek2: I believe you can too and make it all fit, especially if you can "tuck" the side stones under the stone and at an angle.

Last edited:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04 - The diameter ratio of my new 3-stone is 65.1%. I put a quickie picture here: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...nto-a-3-stone-what-color-prongs.248529/page-2 (scroll down for dimensions. My finger is a 4.5 but the ring is a size 5 with sizing pads.)

The spread is wide enough so that I can't see any shank on either side from the top down, but if I look at it from the side, I do see a tiny sliver of gold. I feel my side stones are quite substantial and it's most definitely a 3-stone ring and not a soli with accent stones! When I was searching for my side stones, Caysie advised that I go with 5mm x 4mm, but these are a little larger than that and I think it still works!

I wanted substantial side stones but I did NOT want a "wall of bling" where they were so large that it would be hard to see each stone's distinct shape. I'm relieved to say that I think I achieved that. :geek2: I believe you can too and make it all fit, especially if you can "tuck" the side stones under the stone and at an angle.

First, let me say that your new ring is an absolute DREAM!!! Seriously, it is perfection.
Is this the same stone with measurements of 9.44 x 8.04 mm? I wonder if the difference in mine would be that big a deal at 9.8 x 9.75 mm?? I also love that the elongation of your stones makes it so pleasing to the eye and shows off each stone perfectly! Ugh! So beautiful!

Wanna trade?? ;-)

Last edited:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why don't you keep your existing diamond solitaire (it is one one my favorites) and start fresh with 3 WF ACAs so that you can get the balance you want with a larger center stone.
I forgot your ring size but there IS limited real estate to work with for it to look harmonious with your finger size.

I still have my 3+ F pear and a 2.79 F-VS1 CBI in solitaires that I swap around with my 3-stone ring for variety.

Good luck with your journey.

I would love to do this, but there is no way I can afford two rings... unfortunately. And even if I could, I have learned the hard (read: expensive) way that I don't wear RHRs. Boo! I'm pretty much a ORTRTA type of gal. :)

Maybe I'll reach out to WF to see if they might consider buying by current stone. I fear they won't, since it is closer to 60/60 specs, but it can't hurt to ask, I don't guess...

Honestly, I don't even have to have an ACA... I'd be perfectly happy with one of their extremely well cut in-house stones, so long as I can get in on their upgrade plan! ;-)

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First, let me say that your new ring is an absolute DREAM!!! Seriously, it is perfection.
Is this the same stone with measurements of 9.44 x 8.04 mm? I wonder if the difference in mine would be that big a deal at 9.8 x 9.75 mm?? I also love that the elongation of your stones makes it so pleasing to the eye and shows off each stone perfectly! Ugh! So beautiful!

Wanna trade?? ;-)
Yes, it's the same stone that I got from Mark Turnowski 8 years ago! (He's also the one who found my needle-in-a-haystack matching antique side stones.) Remind me, what's your finger size again? Rounds are so spready...are you at all considering other shape side stones?

An obvious option could be pears (here's my former LM 3-stone with pear sides shown on my much younger and slimmer size 3.5 finger)? Pears lend themselves well to being steeply angled.

What about some exotic old-new "hybrid" ideas. I wonder how your modern round would look with Yoram's custom-cut elongated OMCs, OMCs, Peruzzis, or antique emeralds? Other out-of-left-field ideas: ovals set north-south, step-cut traps, epaulette/cadi's, step-cut half moons, or elongated caesar cuts? Some of these might "fit" on your small finger.

I would love to do this, but there is no way I can afford two rings... unfortunately. And even if I could, I have learned the hard (read: expensive) way that I don't wear RHRs. Boo! I'm pretty much a ORTRTA type of gal. :)

Maybe I'll reach out to WF to see if they might consider buying by current stone. I fear they won't, since it is closer to 60/60 specs, but it can't hurt to ask, I don't guess...

Honestly, I don't even have to have an ACA... I'd be perfectly happy with one of their extremely well cut in-house stones, so long as I can get in on their upgrade plan! ;-)

I think it's worth a try for sure!! It doesn't hurt to ask! And I'm the same way about cuts -- for me, it doesn't always HAVE to be a perfectly cut stone. I've had ACAs, Ideal cuts, and Good cuts (and everything in between) and TBH, the difference is so slight to my naked eye. My original e-ring is a round GIA Good cut and it is unbelievably sparkly and fiery! My appraiser was really surprised at how great the light return was.

(PS - I'm also the same way about RHRs -- I've tried, and I simply can't wear them. The only thing I MIGHT wear on my RH is fun fashion rings!)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it's the same stone that I got from Mark Turnowski 8 years ago! (He's also the one who found my needle-in-a-haystack matching antique side stones.) Remind me, what's your finger size again? Rounds are so spready...are you at all considering other shape side stones?

An obvious option could be pears (here's my former LM 3-stone with pear sides shown on my much younger and slimmer size 3.5 finger)? Pears lend themselves well to being steeply angled.

What about some exotic old-new "hybrid" ideas. I wonder how your modern round would look with Yoram's custom-cut elongated OMCs, OMCs, Peruzzis, or antique emeralds? Other out-of-left-field ideas: ovals set north-south, step-cut traps, epaulette/cadi's, step-cut half moons, or elongated caesar cuts? Some of these might "fit" on your small finger.

I think it's worth a try for sure!! It doesn't hurt to ask! And I'm the same way about cuts -- for me, it doesn't always HAVE to be a perfectly cut stone. I've had ACAs, Ideal cuts, and Good cuts (and everything in between) and TBH, the difference is so slight to my naked eye. My original e-ring is a round GIA Good cut and it is unbelievably sparkly and fiery! My appraiser was really surprised at how great the light return was.

(PS - I'm also the same way about RHRs -- I've tried, and I simply can't wear them. The only thing I MIGHT wear on my RH is fun fashion rings!)

I thought that was the same stone - lucky lady! My finger size is 4.75. I really hadn't considered another shape, but I really did love your old LM ring with pears. I worry that they'd be hard to match and not give the sparkle factor of rounds. That said, I'm not really opposed to the idea of pears, considering they can be angled so well. I don't think I'll mix old and new cuts. If my center was a big honking AVR or other old cut, then, well... absolutely!! ;-)

I'm really hoping WF will consider buying my stone for trade-in... but I have a bad feeling they won't. Keeping my fingers crossed though! I'd love to get my foot in the door there!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought that was the same stone - lucky lady! My finger size is 4.75. I really hadn't considered another shape, but I really did love your old LM ring with pears. I worry that they'd be hard to match and not give the sparkle factor of rounds. That said, I'm not really opposed to the idea of pears, considering they can be angled so well. I don't think I'll mix old and new cuts. If my center was a big honking AVR or other old cut, then, well... absolutely!! ;-)

I'm really hoping WF will consider buying my stone for trade-in... but I have a bad feeling they won't. Keeping my fingers crossed though! I'd love to get my foot in the door there!

LOL, just thought I'd throw out a few off the beaten path ideas out there. :P2

I actually wouldn't be surprised if it ends up working out with WF -- your stone is just beautiful, not to mention iconic here on PS! If they do accept it, what would be the ideal specs for your new stone?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
9186AF80-5D9B-401B-B97F-FB509851C30B.jpeg From what I recall, you negotiated an awesome deal in your last upgrade. Based on that, I don’t think you would take a huge loss on Whiteflash. That said, you also love love your stone and are you really ready to go down in size?
One last thing. Is there a way that you can create your dream sized 3 stone IF you size the ring up a bit and insert sizing beads? Would that solve your problem?
ETA; my 3 stone setting is now housing a gemstone that is the size of a 3 carat and I still see band. Sidestones are .50 carats each. It’s a size 5 or 5.25. Let me post a pic. Posted pic.

Last edited:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL, just thought I'd throw out a few off the beaten path ideas out there. :P2

I actually wouldn't be surprised if it ends up working out with WF -- your stone is just beautiful, not to mention iconic here on PS! If they do accept it, what would be the ideal specs for your new stone?

Wow! That is an amazing compliment, especially coming from you, @KristyDarling! I sure hope you're right!

Honestly, I am pretty happy with my stone, but being on PS, I think I could handle a higher crown and more fire. I would also like a cleaner stone (mine's SI2, albeit a pretty dang good one). I'm not super strict, as long as the numbers work well. If they do agree to buy it, I will likely not go the ACA route at first. ;-) I've been looking at their Expert Selection and they look FAB... and if it came down to an ACA and an ES with the same color/clarity, I would most likely choose the one that would be larger, because, well... size ho. ;-)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From what I recall, you negotiated an awesome deal in your last upgrade. Based on that, I don’t think you would take a huge loss on Whiteflash. That said, you also love love your stone and are you really ready to go down in size?
One last thing. Is there a way that you can create your dream sized 3 stone IF you size the ring up a bit and insert sizing beads? Would that solve your problem?

I did get a good deal on my current stone... and I do love it. However, I had to REALLY work on them to get to see stones with the specs I wanted and then be very shrewd about negotiating the price.

Was it worth it in the end? Yes. Could the diamond be improved? Of course. Am I bothered when I look at it? Not at all. But this is PS, and we are crazy as hell about our diamonds, so... there ya go! LOL At this point, I just don't know if they can check all the boxes for me... or at least in a timely manner. WF is a no-brainer, and although I know what to look for, I just don't want to worry about what "could be found if I just waited a bit longer", KWIM? WF's inventory is ALL great, so I feel like they have much more selection for what I want... and always will for future upgrades.

I'm not wanting a larger diamond. I'm happy in the 9.6-9.8 mm range, for sure. I just want to improve cut, clarity, and possibly color (although I'm happy with an I).

RE the 3 stone... It would be really hard to get it to work on my finger. I really don't want to size up just to put in beads, even if it meant making it work. I want it to be perfect.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@KristyDarling I also have stalked your Leon with pear sides. It was an absolutely amazing ring. I love the proportions of your pears to center. I have wanted a three stone for the longest time but could not commit to three rounds because there is something about the look that does sit quite right on my finger. I want more substantial sides and hat doesn’t work with rounds for my 4.5 finger. I also love your cushions because you can get more substantial side stones and it doesn’t look awkward. I love your new ring so I’m dreaming hard. A 3 carat center is not in my budget now but I’m trying to figure it out. Your beautiful new ring is inspiring.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@KristyDarling I also have stalked your Leon with pear sides. It was an absolutely amazing ring. I love the proportions of your pears to center. I have wanted a three stone for the longest time but could not commit to three rounds because there is something about the look that does sit quite right on my finger. I want more substantial sides and hat doesn’t work with rounds for my 4.5 finger. I also love your cushions because you can get more substantial side stones and it doesn’t look awkward. I love your new ring so I’m dreaming hard. A 3 carat center is not in my budget now but I’m trying to figure it out. Your beautiful new ring is inspiring.

See??!! The struggle is real!! ;-)

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Full disclosure: I did not take photos of the ring I am about to describe, but it was glorious and makes me quite confident you can pull off a three stone.

A few months ago I had a ring sized at a local jeweler who specializes in a lot of estate pieces. They had a truly fantastic OEC three stone that I tried on. I was in a hurry to pick up my kids from a birthday party and honestly, completely blinded by the sheer carat weight on my finger so like a dummy, forgot to take a photo.

But.

This ring was 7 carats of three stone amazingness. Probably not the ratio you are going for as the side stones were, um, quite large, (as was the center!!!). My memory is really not doing well with specifications, but I think the center was about 3.5.

It fit my hand snugly, so I’m guessing a size 6. Now, would I have been comfortable walking around town with this wall of bling? Probably not initially.

Could I have acclimated? You bet.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since I think you stated you like switching it up - I vote for really investigating with the two vendors you mentioned about a wrap.

I agree about accent stones vs sidestones. Only exception, IMO, would be this specific beauty:
72F0B2F0-A0B6-4C14-A743-07C6131BC574.jpeg
Just something about it.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Full disclosure: I did not take photos of the ring I am about to describe, but it was glorious and makes me quite confident you can pull off a three stone.

A few months ago I had a ring sized at a local jeweler who specializes in a lot of estate pieces. They had a truly fantastic OEC three stone that I tried on. I was in a hurry to pick up my kids from a birthday party and honestly, completely blinded by the sheer carat weight on my finger so like a dummy, forgot to take a photo.

But.

This ring was 7 carats of three stone amazingness. Probably not the ratio you are going for as the side stones were, um, quite large, (as was the center!!!). My memory is really not doing well with specifications, but I think the center was about 3.5.

It fit my hand snugly, so I’m guessing a size 6. Now, would I have been comfortable walking around town with this wall of bling? Probably not initially.

Could I have acclimated? You bet.

Jesus! I wish I could've seen that monster!!! Holy sh!t. I need to visit several stores and ask to see the largest three stone rings they have. ...and just as I had almost written it off. LOL

Reactions: AV_

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since I think you stated you like switching it up - I vote for really investigating with the two vendors you mentioned about a wrap.

I agree about accent stones vs sidestones. Only exception, IMO, would be this specific beauty:
Just something about it.

I have this saved on my phone, work computer, and personal laptop. It is glorious. However, I think a lot of the appeal of this ring is the amazingly beautiful set that accompanies it. Still beautiful though.

ETA: regarding the wrap... it's not totally off the table. I know it's not an ideal "three stone", but I feel like it might be a nice alternative for my fickle self... just to scratch the itch without fully committing. ;-)

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just something about it.

Do you know the diamond sizes in this three stone? I think the knife edge shank really lends itself to this three stone ring!!

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Just something about it.

That is my favourite set!! I’ve had it saved for about 2 years. Maybe I’ll go custom with my next HPD upgrade! :whistle:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Jesus! I wish I could've seen that monster!!! Holy sh!t. I need to visit several stores and ask to see the largest three stone rings they have. ...and just as I had almost written it off. LOL

I know, right? I thought I didn’t like three stones until I saw it. And now I know.

I think the store sold it because I don’t see it in their online catalog. I really am kicking myself for not taking a photo.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MissGotRocks the side stones in the inspiration pic are appx 15pt each or 30pt ctw. Your side stones are much larger in comparison, but they do look lovely on you and especially with your current center stone!

I tried to find old photos of 3 stone proportions that I had compared. The below center stone was 1.8ct.

As far as memory serves me;

4mm or appx 0.25ct each side stone

IMG_4768.JPG

0.5ct each side stone
IMG_4691.JPG

0.6ct each side stone
IMG_4693.JPG

0.7ct each side stone
IMG_4695.JPG

Here is a pic of a 3ct Center stone with pear side stones. I am forgetting the stats on the side stones.

4932C761-E7F8-4DC5-B063-F06154499A3B.jpeg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MissGotRocks the side stones in the inspiration pic are appx 15pt each or 30pt ctw. Your side stones are much larger in comparison, but they do look lovely on you and especially with your current center stone!

I tried to find old photos of 3 stone proportions that I had compared. The below center stone was 1.8ct.

IMG_4768.JPG

0.5ct each side stone
IMG_4691.JPG

0.6ct each side stone
IMG_4693.JPG

0.7ct each side stone
IMG_4695.JPG

Here is a pic of a 3ct Center stone with pear side stones. I am forgetting the stats on the side stones.

Oh, OK, I assumed they were .30 each but looking at the pictures again, .15 makes sense.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just FYI these are .50 CZs with
9.5mm, 10mm and 10.5mm centers

20190701_103010.jpg

Wow! Thank you - that is super helpful!! My stone is 9.8, so the 10 mm would be very close!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMG_4768.JPG

0.5ct each side stone
IMG_4691.JPG

0.6ct each side stone
IMG_4693.JPG

0.7ct each side stone
IMG_4695.JPG

Ya'll are seriously the BEST!! I'm loving all these pics!!! Thanks, @SimoneDi!!! I also think that I'd want rounds instead of pears... maybe. ;-)

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lol, my hand! Not my hand all day every day (especially not in the summer) but still mine :D

ETA: Glad that the pics were helpful! I also toyed around the idea of pears vs rounds, but in the end I felt that I appreciated the unified look of all rounds and the versatility of the side stones should I ever reset.

Well, I am surely jealous, ma'am! ;-)

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lol, my hand! Not my hand all day every day (especially not in the summer) but still mine :D

ETA: Glad that the pics were helpful! I also toyed around the idea of pears vs rounds, but in the end I felt that I appreciated the unified look of all rounds and the versatility of the side stones should I ever reset.
This is an excellent point. I still have the pear sides from my Leon 3-stone and they've been languishing in my jewelry box for years! (I don't want to make them into earrings)

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread is making me want to go back to my 3 stone.....sigh...thankfully I still haven’t upgraded my 2 Sidestones.

Have you inquired about WF yet? Any developments?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results