shape
carat
color
clarity

At what size does a 3-stone lose it's lovely aesthetic?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think with a big center stone, you need big side stones. I think side stones that are too small look off. Smaller sides are more of a "cutesy" look, but not elegant IMO. Your BIL'S sister's ring is gorgeous and looks like the sides are a good size.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in the minority here, but I would keep it as a solitaire. I think your "gasp" thought of sizing it down to do a three stone is probably what would allow you to have that ring which also shows the curvature to the band. I think your finger size makes it difficult to do that with your big beautiful diamond on your small finger. I wish I had that problem!

I don't think I'd be very happy going down in size... besides, what if I wanted to go back to soli??

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think with a big center stone, you need big side stones. I think side stones that are too small look off. Smaller sides are more of a "cutesy" look, but not elegant IMO. Your BIL'S sister's ring is gorgeous and looks like the sides are a good size.

I agree with you, @Laila619... the smaller sides kinda lend more to "accent stones" than a true 3 stone ring. Her ring is gorgeous, and the size is perfect on her. :)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why don’t you do a pave band with the one stone or do two very small stones like 20 pointers?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This brings me to another question... @mrs-b, @dreamer_dachsie, @yssie, @SimoneDi, @diamondseeker2006

At what ratio does the "3-Stone" become just a "Soli w/ Accents Stones"?? Gosh, life is so tough with all these pressing decisions... ;-) #firstworldproblems #stillproblemstho

Ok I see you all discussed this lol.

I don’t see a problem with soli with accent stones.

It seems to me that you want to jazz it up a tad. What does it matter if it’s a true 3 stone or accent stones? (Just asking, you do you)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why don’t you do a pave band with the one stone or do two very small stones like 20 pointers?

I changed to a solitaire from a heavily paved halo to a solitaire because I got tired of the extra bling... crazy, right??!! I don't really like smaller stones bc then it just looks like they're accent stones and not part of a 3 stone ring, KWIM?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok I see you all discussed this lol.

I don’t see a problem with soli with accent stones.

It seems to me that you want to jazz it up a tad. What does it matter if it’s a true 3 stone or accent stones? (Just asking, you do you)

It really doesn't matter... that's just the aesthetic I love. And if I can't really achieve that look, I think I'd rather just stay *Team Soli*... ;-)

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your solitaire is amazing! Sometimes we tend to get bored and crave something different. It’s fun to change it up! Sometimes we go round and round (not suggesting you are :P2) thinking something else is better. It’s fun to dream, but is it what you really want?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the 62% (or maybe a bit smaller)... dang, I wish I had my fake ring to show ya'll. I feel like there's no way to do those proportions without it looking crazy. :(

@msop04 -

That 62% represents sides that are about 17% of the center stone. That's EXACTLY what I'll have when I upgrade - in my opinion, the perfect proportions.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
....and just because I thought you might find this interesting - I have an upgrade project I'm working on for a soli. I want a cluster (check - x 2!), a 3 stone (check - AND getting an upgrade!), and a soli (getting there...and will possibly end up a different shape - EC or cushion maybe). My soli is so far only 1.4ct, but it will grow over time. :))

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Controversially, I really love the look of the small-medium side-stones for your particular ring. :shifty:

Why? Well, I think your solitaire is delicious, and it's obviously huge. I like the fact that the smaller stones add an element of extra attention but they don't actually take away from the central stone. It's almost like you look at it and go - "oh, it's a three stone, but oh, it's also a solitaire!". I think it looks sophisticated and classical and really nicely proportionate on your hand. I think you can get away with those proportions because you already have so much finger coverage from your central stone.

My mum has a three stone ring that suits her so well. When I try it on it does not suit me at all. I think it's because, as @mrs-b was saying, on her you can see just the barest hint of band from the top down, but on me, there's no finger visible - it looks ridiculous and squared off. Basically what @mrs-b was saying. :geek2: I therefore kind of think whatever proportions would work to allow that would be something that suited your hand. I guess you just have to like the visual look yourself. I don't remember the Whiteflash chart - which I have admired myself, too - having the more extreme proportional changes between the central and side stones. Maybe it does. And in general I wouldn't have said I liked the more extreme size differences, but there's something about it on you that I am really loving. :D

I think we are all looking forward to photos of your travel ring, too. :geek2:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I would actually like to have larger sides, but it seemed impossible unless they were a lot more tilted

Or the middle stone much smaller.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the 62% (or maybe a bit smaller)... dang, I wish I had my fake ring to show ya'll. I feel like there's no way to do those proportions without it looking crazy. :(

My 3-stone HPD Trilogie is exactly 62% for a size 4.5 ring. Didn't want to go larger.
It contains:
2.18 E-VS1 CBI
0.53 F-VS1 CBI
0.53 F-VS2 CBI

The two side stones are within. 01mm of each other and have the same CA and PAs.
I recently traded in my 2.22 F-SI1 that was within .01mm of the 2.18 so we could reuse my existing mounting and have a mind clean ring. With a size 4.5 ring, I am pretty much maxed out for center stones.

Photos taken in the shade to show size proportions not sparkles.

20190510_111432.jpg

20190510_111436.jpg 20190510_111508.jpg

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This brings me to another question... @mrs-b, @dreamer_dachsie, @yssie, @SimoneDi, @diamondseeker2006

At what ratio does the "3-Stone" become just a "Soli w/ Accents Stones"?? Gosh, life is so tough with all these pressing decisions... ;-) #firstworldproblems #stillproblemstho

@msop04 I remember you mentioning before that a three stone has been on your mind, so it’s nice to see that you are entertaining the idea again!

My side stones are 0.23ct each and center is 2.1ct. I do love the proportions, but when I first started my three stone journey, I was looking at much larger side stones. I definitely think that my side stones are closer to accent stones, but imo the ring is still very much still a three stone.

I do love the small to medium proportions on you. I think that they provide the extra finger coverage while still allowing your center stone to be the focal point. The proportions will also work well with your small finger. Also, definitely don’t think about going down in size, unless there are other things that bother you about your current stone (which I think it beautiful btw).

If you decide to go down the three stone path, I would advice you to set the ring a bit higher. I had a really hard time finding a band to work with my three stone and you will definitely want to be able to wear all of the pretty bands that you have. Perhaps you can order some studs from lightbox and play around with the ratios win real diamonds since they have a good return policy.;)2

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
975D0FC5-5F12-4D75-A6EF-06854B9827A5.jpeg
A 2.53 center with .33 sides on a 5.25 finger. I think I have just about maxed out a three stone on my finger size. If I ever upgraded in size I would probably have to go back to a solitaire but I just don’t them as much on me somehow. I think that your diamond may just be too large as a three stone on your finger size. You wear the solitaire well though!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your solitaire is amazing! Sometimes we tend to get bored and crave something different. It’s fun to change it up! Sometimes we go round and round (not suggesting you are :P2) thinking something else is better. It’s fun to dream, but is it what you really want?

I think you've really hit the nail on the head here...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04 I remember you mentioning before that a three stone has been on your mind, so it’s nice to see that you are entertaining the idea again!

My side stones are 0.23ct each and center is 2.1ct. I do love the proportions, but when I first started my three stone journey, I was looking at much larger side stones. I definitely think that my side stones are closer to accent stones, but imo the ring is still very much still a three stone.

I do love the small to medium proportions on you. I think that they provide the extra finger coverage while still allowing your center stone to be the focal point. The proportions will also work well with your small finger. Also, definitely don’t think about going down in size, unless there are other things that bother you about your current stone (which I think it beautiful btw).

If you decide to go down the three stone path, I would advice you to set the ring a bit higher. I had a really hard time finding a band to work with my three stone and you will definitely want to be able to wear all of the pretty bands that you have. Perhaps you can order some studs from lightbox and play around with the ratios win real diamonds since they have a good return policy.;)2

I was thinking this as well... but for a different reason. LOL If I were to do a 3 stone, I'd have to set the center higher to accommodate the size sides I'd want (for the angle).

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
975D0FC5-5F12-4D75-A6EF-06854B9827A5.jpeg
A 2.53 center with .33 sides on a 5.25 finger. I think I have just about maxed out a three stone on my finger size. If I ever upgraded in size I would probably have to go back to a solitaire but I just don’t them as much on me somehow. I think that your diamond may just be too large as a three stone on your finger size. You wear the solitaire well though!!

Your ring is beautiful, and I have to agree about maxing it out! My fake ring is a bit smaller then yours, but the aesthetic of both are stunning. I'm really thinking this may be a tangent I'm on and should stick with solitaire... Why, oh WHY, do we crave change when we're perfectly happy with what we have??

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 3-stone HPD Trilogie is exactly 62% for a size 4.5 ring. Didn't want to go larger.
It contains:
2.18 E-VS1 CBI
0.53 F-VS1 CBI
0.53 F-VS2 CBI

The two side stones are within. 01mm of each other and have the same CA and PAs.
I recently traded in my 2.22 F-SI1 that was within .01mm of the 2.18 so we could reuse my existing mounting and have a mind clean ring. With a size 4.5 ring, I am pretty much maxed out for center stones.

Photos taken in the shade to show size proportions not sparkles.

20190510_111432.jpg

20190510_111436.jpg 20190510_111508.jpg

Yep, I believe you're right about maxing out too... I don't think I can achieve the look I want with my center stone, and I'm not willing to go smaller! #sizehorighthere #aintchanging

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04 -

That 62% represents sides that are about 17% of the center stone. That's EXACTLY what I'll have when I upgrade - in my opinion, the perfect proportions.

GOD, I cannot WAIT to see this ring!!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
....and just because I thought you might find this interesting - I have an upgrade project I'm working on for a soli. I want a cluster (check - x 2!), a 3 stone (check - AND getting an upgrade!), and a soli (getting there...and will possibly end up a different shape - EC or cushion maybe). My soli is so far only 1.4ct, but it will grow over time. :))

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I'd REALLY like to do is sell my stone and start upgrading via WF - but I'd take a huge loss... I guess one can dream.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is beautiful, and I have to agree about maxing it out! My fake ring is a bit smaller then yours, but the aesthetic of both are stunning. I'm really thinking this may be a tangent I'm on and should stick with solitaire... Why, oh WHY, do we crave change when we're perfectly happy with what we have??

I think it is the human condition. If we could be happy with this, wouldn't we be even happier if it was just a little bit MORE? Lol! It's fun to imagine different things and I am sure we all get a bit bored from time to time with whatever we have. I guess sometimes we need to step back, be grateful for what we have and learn to be content with it. Easier said than done most of the time though!

I do think your solitaire in its lovely setting looks great on you. Like you said, if you downsize for a three stone, you'd regret it if you ever went back to a solitaire. I think I could perhaps love a solitaire again if it was the right setting but I know I would miss the look of a three stone. Hubby loves the three stone too and that means a lot to me as well. On my diamond journey, however, I've learned to never say never!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is the human condition. If we could be happy with this, wouldn't we be even happier if it was just a little bit MORE? Lol! It's fun to imagine different things and I am sure we all get a bit bored from time to time with whatever we have. I guess sometimes we need to step back, be grateful for what we have and learn to be content with it. Easier said than done most of the time though!

I do think your solitaire in its lovely setting looks great on you. Like you said, if you downsize for a three stone, you'd regret it if you ever went back to a solitaire. I think I could perhaps love a solitaire again if it was the right setting but I know I would miss the look of a three stone. Hubby loves the three stone too and that means a lot to me as well. On my diamond journey, however, I've learned to never say never!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I'd REALLY like to do is sell my stone and start upgrading via WF - but I'd take a huge loss... I guess one can dream.

It was a dream of mine for years too. Something I thought would NEVER happen. However, the opportunity arose to be able to trade it in with them and while I lost money on the trade, I decided to take the loss, enjoy a dream come true and go for it. A year later, I utilized the upgrade policy! It is a huge decision and there are times in life it is not the right one and times when it just might be doable. The beauty of the stones and the end of second guessing everything really took the bite out of the financial aspect. I've never regretted it for one minute.

Life turns on a dime - you never know when the opportunity might be right for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was thinking this as well... but for a different reason. LOL If I were to do a 3 stone, I'd have to set the center higher to accommodate the size sides I'd want (for the angle).
Ha! It makes perfect sense. Honestly, you might love your stone with larger side stones, even if they are larger than recommended based on your finger size.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Why don't you keep your existing diamond solitaire (it is one one my favorites) and start fresh with 3 WF ACAs so that you can get the balance you want with a larger center stone.
I forgot your ring size but there IS limited real estate to work with for it to look harmonious with your finger size.

I still have my 3+ F pear and a 2.79 F-VS1 CBI in solitaires that I swap around with my 3-stone ring for variety.

Good luck with your journey.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results