shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher Halo with Split shanks.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2006 10:50:23 PM
Author: Gypsy

Date: 5/19/2006 10:43:43 PM
Author: isaku5

Date: 5/19/2006 10:24:38 PM
There are 12 diamonds in the canary halo (which will be the most expensive setting of the three, I think. Unless you get baguettes all around the shanks of the split shanks in a full eternity style. Which I wouldn''t recommend doing anyway).

There are eight in the in other halos.

Both diamond counts are not counting the center diamond.

Split shanks....Sounds like a PAINFUL medical condition...lol.
Boy, I''d better go for a vision test post haste. I enlarged the ''canary photo'' and I see 8 traps and either 8 long bags or 16 shorter bags on thr halo portion itself plus 2 traps or bags on either side of the halo plus 1 staight bag on each side of the shank. YIKES!!!

If I went with the split shanks(ouch), I definitely would not put the bags all the way around.

Oh this is hilarious. I see:

1 trap on either side of the halo.
1 straight baguette set in the shank below that trap on either side.
12 trap/ baguettes in the halo itself.
1 canary diamond.

18.gif
I''ve had 1/2 a bottle of wine... but I just counted 4 times in a row... so... erm... how much have you had to drink, honey??? LMAO.

CAN ANYONE ELSE HELP US WITH THE DIAMOND COUNTS???

ROFLMAO
That''s my problem right there!!!!! I need wine and lots of it to correct my faulty vision!

Thanks to PS and kaleigh for the sleek and classy picures of the MM. Is this ring actually on the site, or has irina pit her magic to work again???

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh BTW... I forgot to answer your question about the single baguette set shank...

You are going to have a BLOODY HUGE HEAD on that puppy. So while I think a single shank would be alright I think it should be a VERY substantial one, like the canary ring''s. The dainty 2 mm sucker I was talking about would just NOT cut it for your design. 4-5 mm at least I''m thinking.... or two 2mm split shanks. So if you want ONE shank with just baguettes set into it... those are gonna be some FAT baguettes. about 3mm in width if they are set perpendicular to the shank... or smaller ones set parallel to the shank... like the one in the saphire ring in my AV...

Isaku.. have you looked at the shank of the ring in my AV? It might be something you''d like...

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2006 11:02:06 PM

Thanks to PS and kaleigh for the sleek and classy picures of the MM. Is this ring actually on the site, or has irina pit her magic to work again???
I replaced the head isku5, original was cushion claw set - gorgeous like everything MM have made. Here''s the link

markmorrellGorsplitcushion.jpg

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Gypsy...Much as I like the look of the narrow shank, it''s going to be top heavy and probably the halo will keep rolling to the side...hence a wider shank. I dunno.....

The shank on your avatar looks great Gypsy with that size of stone. BTW, how large is it?

I really don''t want an overly cumbersome look in the ring; I''d like the centrestone to be the highlight.

PS irina... I have looked at MM''s site many times, but hadn''t seen the halo design you created with the baguettes, now I know why. Thanks very much.

After "sleeping on it ", The canary setting with a gazillion baguettes hehe, or the double shank with baguettes on the splits (part way around) might be the way to go.

Thank you all for your ideas so far, and if there are any other opinions floating around, I''d really like to see or hear about them....
36.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Hi again, Gypsy, sorry to belabour the trap/bag count on the canary setting, but please point out where I''m mis- calculating...

-2 traps, or 1 larger trap at each corner?

-? baguettes top, bottom, and sides???

-2 or 4 traps on each side of the halo?

-1 or 2 baguettes on each side of the shank?

How wide do you estimate the shank and the halo should be to look "right" with the 7.38 x 7.41 mm asscher?

Anyone''s help would be appreciated on this!!
33.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2006 11:03:43 AM
Hi again, Gypsy, sorry to belabour the trap/bag count on the canary setting, but please point out where I''m mis- calculating...

-2 traps, or 1 larger trap at each corner?

-? baguettes top, bottom, and sides???

-2 or 4 traps on each side of the halo?

-1 or 2 baguettes on each side of the shank?

How wide do you estimate the shank and the halo should be to look ''right'' with the 7.38 x 7.41 mm asscher?

33.gif
Oh Lord. Okay. This is funny. I a going to see if there is anything I can do with Microsoft Paint to put the numbers in on the pic... will be a few minutes as a result. LOL.
2.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay.. so

The two orange diamonds are straight baguettes.

The two green ones are big traps.

The 12 blue ones are custom cut trap baguettes.

Hope this clarifies!
3.gif

ISAKU D-COUNT.JPG

pricescope

Ideal_Rock

How wide do you estimate the shank and the halo should be to look 'right' with the 7.38 x 7.41 mm asscher?

Anyone's help would be appreciated on this!!
33.gif
Isaku, before making this model you need to choose halo model because plain view proportions will depend on the angle b/w baguettes's and asscher's tables.
Make sense?

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hee hee...here I am joining a thread late, not having read all of it, and confused by what I have read! LOL...

Nevertheless, here's an opinion that may not have been asked for:

I MUCH prefer a tapered shingle shank over a spllit shank for a fabulous baguette halo. To me the split shank seems like a distraction from the center rather than an enhancement of it.

All of these configurations would look great to me: fat or double tapered bags pointing down from the center, stacked graduated horizontal ones like Gypsy's avatar, or even a trap/tapered bag combo similar to the last ring shown.

I know that skinny "delicate' shanks are all the rage right now, but I like slightly heavier shanks so that the entire ring looks more balanced and less top-heavy...

Just one ol' lady's opinion!
9.gif

widgtet

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2006 11:29:53 AM
Okay.. so

Hope this clarifies!
3.gif
Hi Gypsy...You are the best!!!!!! If your state becomes less litigious, you could opt for ring design. Somehow I doubt that the $$ would be the same....
11.gif

That colour coded picture is a big help!!!!
17.gif

Even without the wine, I can now count!!!
9.gif

I''m going to contact Pete at Quest for a quote.
36.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2006 11:32:41 AM
Author: Pricescope

How wide do you estimate the shank and the halo should be to look ''right'' with the 7.38 x 7.41 mm asscher?

33.gif
Isaku, before making this model you need to choose halo model because plain view proportions will depend on the angle b/w baguettes''s and asscher''s tables.
Make sense?
Irina...Thanks so much. I think I understand

It was the counting of the traps/baguettes in the halo that really floored me,
14.gif
and now Gypsy has clarified that.
9.gif
Did I mention that math was never my best subject in school?
20.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2006 3:13:51 PM

Okay.. so

Hope this clarifies!
3.gif
Hi Gypsy...You are the best!!!!!! If your state becomes less litigious, you could opt for ring design. Somehow I doubt that the $$ would be the same....
11.gif

17.gif

9.gif

36.gif

LMAO. I actually dabble in jewelry design. I have Martha Stewart issues. I cook, decorate, bake, make jewelry (earrings mostly with shells and silver and beads and crystal), sew, paint, and do ceramics. I also pretty much hate being a lawyer. LOL. But I''m good at it, and it pays the bills.

Can''t wait to hear what Quest has to say! Update me when you have news!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2006 12:17:03 PM
Author: widget
Hee hee...here I am joining a thread late, not having read all of it, and confused by what I have read! LOL...

Nevertheless, here''s an opinion that may not have been asked for:

I MUCH prefer a tapered shingle shank over a spllit shank for a fabulous baguette halo. To me the split shank seems like a distraction from the center rather than an enhancement of it.

All of these configurations would look great to me: fat or double tapered bags pointing down from the center, stacked graduated horizontal ones like Gypsy''s avatar, or even a trap/tapered bag combo similar to the last ring shown.

I know that skinny ''delicate'' shanks are all the rage right now, but I like slightly heavier shanks so that the entire ring looks more balanced and less top-heavy...

Just one ol'' lady''s opinion!
9.gif

widgtet
Gee Widget...I don''t understand your confusion. hehe
9.gif

Just because this ol'' lady can''t tell the difference between a trap and a baguette ??? (too bad there isn''t an idiot smilie!!!)
14.gif

I know that skinny shanks are the "in thing" right now, but since I''ve never been "in", I like your advice about a slightly heavier shank to balance the halo.
1.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock

Nevertheless, here''s an opinion that may not have been asked for:

All of these configurations would look great to me: fat or double tapered bags pointing down from the center, stacked graduated horizontal ones like Gypsy''s avatar, or even a trap/tapered bag combo similar to the last ring shown.

I know that skinny ''delicate'' shanks are all the rage right now, but I like slightly heavier shanks so that the entire ring looks more balanced and less top-heavy...

Just one ol'' lady''s opinion!
9.gif

widgtet
Hi again widget... So... there''s such a thing as a "shingle shank"? I don''t believe I''ve ever seen one.
9.gif
...hehe. It must be true because someone called "widgtet" says so.
11.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2006 3:26:39 PM

Date: 5/20/2006 3:13:51 PM

Okay.. so

Hope this clarifies!
3.gif
11.gif

17.gif

9.gif

36.gif

LMAO. I actually dabble in jewelry design. I have Martha Stewart issues. I cook, decorate, bake, make jewelry (earrings mostly with shells and silver and beads and crystal), sew, paint, and do ceramics. I also pretty much hate being a lawyer. LOL. But I''m good at it, and it pays the bills.

Can''t wait to hear what Quest has to say! Update me when you have news!
Hi Gypsy... Now that you know that I am geometrically challenged, I''m off the hook.

Interesting that you should say that you hate being a lawyer, but you''re good at it. Our daughter will be graduating this year as a CGA ( Certified General Accountant - qualified to audit and do systems analyses for large companies) and says she is so sick of accounting that she''s willing to scan groceries!!! I guess she got all the math genes. Oh, I shouldn''t say that as our son is a civil engineer! You see they completely drained poor old Ma!!!
14.gif

But back to more serious matters
9.gif
: I phoned Pete at Quest for info on the settings, and Hap?? said Pete was booked every hour on the hour for consultations until 7 pm. today. I guess I''ll e-mail the contenders and he can get back to me...whenever.

I have a feeling that the yellow diamond halo ring is going to cost $$$$, but I''ll let you know for sure.
32.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2006 3:56:35 PM

Hi Gypsy... Now that you know that I am geometrically challenged, I''m off the hook.

Interesting that you should say that you hate being a lawyer, but you''re good at it. Our daughter will be graduating this year as a CGA ( Certified General Accountant - qualified to audit and do systems analyses for large companies) and says she is so sick of accounting that she''s willing to scan groceries!!! I guess she got all the math genes. Oh, I shouldn''t say that as our son is a civil engineer! You see they completely drained poor old Ma!!!
14.gif

But back to more serious matters
9.gif
: I phoned Pete at Quest for info on the settings, and Hap?? said Pete was booked every hour on the hour for consultations until 7 pm. today. I guess I''ll e-mail the contenders and he can get back to me...whenever.

I have a feeling that the yellow diamond halo ring is going to cost $$$$, but I''ll let you know for sure.
32.gif
I suck at math too... why do you think I went to lawschool??? lol.

Yeah... just an off the top of my head estimate... your looking at 6 to 7 thousand. Maybe 8. LOL.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2006 3:38:14 PM

Nevertheless, here's an opinion that may not have been asked for:

All of these configurations would look great to me: fat or double tapered bags pointing down from the center, stacked graduated horizontal ones like Gypsy's avatar, or even a trap/tapered bag combo similar to the last ring shown.

I know that skinny 'delicate' shanks are all the rage right now, but I like slightly heavier shanks so that the entire ring looks more balanced and less top-heavy...

Just one ol' lady's opinion!
9.gif

widgtet
Hi again widget... So... there's such a thing as a 'shingle shank'? I don't believe I've ever seen one.
9.gif
...hehe. It must be true because someone called 'widgtet' says so.
11.gif
isaku, because i agree with Widget (not on "old" issue though
9.gif
) i made this.

Trapezoids on knife edge, pre-counted for you hehehe

NotSplitHalo.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
WOW, Irina.....you''re getting so good! I wonder if you''ve missed your calling...

So... there''s such a thing as a ''shingle shank''? I don''t believe I''ve ever seen one.
9.gif
...hehe. It must be true because someone called ''widgtet'' says so.
11.gif
I must have been excited...I''m usually SO CAREFUL and check for typos before I hit ''submit''!

widgtet

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooh that''s pretty Irina. ROFLAMO at the precounted traps, though...
9.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/20/2006 4:17:59 PM
isaku, because i agree with Widget (not on ''old'' issue though
9.gif
) i made this.

Trapezoids on knife edge, pre-counted for you hehehe
Irina you failed diamond setting.
The diamonds would smash each other because the knife edge is too thin.

(I know
29.gif
- go back to nerdy
34.gif
cut stuff Garry
17.gif
)

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
With all due love Garry i think if Simon G can make it with rounds someone will with traps if not too deep. How about now when i made "edge" a hair thicker?
Give me that and i'll give you couple of seconds on a crown angle
9.gif

ForGarryhehe.jpg

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2006 5:04:34 PM
With all due love Garry i think if Simon G can make it with rounds someone will with traps if not too deep. How about now when i made ''edge'' a hair thicker?
Give me that and i''ll give you couple of seconds on a crown angle
9.gif
Thanks, Irina, for both versions. Workable or not, they''re beautiful.

Thanks too for counting the trapezoids for me. I need all the help I can get!!!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2006 4:30:01 PM
WOW, Irina.....you''re getting so good! I wonder if you''ve missed your calling...

So... there''s such a thing as a ''shingle shank''? I don''t believe I''ve ever seen one.
9.gif
...hehe. It must be true because someone called ''widgtet'' says so.
11.gif
I must have been excited...I''m usually SO CAREFUL and check for typos before I hit ''submit''!

widgtet
Sorry widget...I shouldn''t have commented on your typos. We all make them.

Your advice is welcome and appreciated; I just couldn''t resist commenting on the "shingle" baguette typo especially since I obviously have trouble differentiating between a baguette and a trapezoid and Gypsy had to colour code a picture to illustrate that fact.

Please accept my apology.

I too try to check for everything before I hit ''submit'', but I have to admit I''ve let some dandies get through.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Pete from Quest just contacted me with his preference - the canary setting. Off the top of his head, he thought it would be about 6k, but he''d have to measure everything to be sure.

This project is becoming very pricey. I think Pete is very fair in his quote, but I may have to accept a less expensive design
15.gif
or take in boarders to finance my project.
14.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Please accept my apology.
OMG...now I''M sorry if you thought I was offended!!!!

LOL...I thought your comment was too funny....especially the "widgtet" part!
9.gif

widget

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results