shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher From GemConcepts : code name Mildred

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF, I love the youtube video of your Octavia.
It’s so beautiful. That goes without saying. Have you gotten used to it? Old hat and all that?
actually I imagine the video does not do it justice.
So if you could please just send it to me to see in peson, I would be most appreciative.

The specs on my asscher:
2.14 ( 7.2x7.2)
G/VS1
Ex/Ex
Strong fl.
Large culet

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's an amazing picture!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF, I love the youtube video of your Octavia.
It’s so beautiful. That goes without saying. Have you gotten used to it? Old hat and all that?
actually I imagine the video does not do it justice.
So if you could please just send it to me to see in peson, I would be most appreciative.

The specs on my asscher:
2.14 ( 7.2x7.2)
G/VS1
Ex/Ex
Strong fl.
Large culet
Yes, I need an upgrade. A 3ct G/VS1 sounds good to me..:silenced:
SBF??..You must post a pic under a UV light...:wink2:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF i have some UV photos from the first day (below) but nothing as crisp as I would like.
Your suggestion has renewed the challenge! So thanks.
Do you know if there are different wave lengths of UV lights?
I mean, I know UV is a certain wave length but I wonder if there are incremental changes in the spectrum that might produce slightly différent colors in a diamond.

A6736742-A02D-4439-B0BF-CCC54FF5A66F.jpeg 0E154B25-4647-47C9-9AC8-9AFB6FFC77C1.jpeg

Attachments

• A625FFFE-305B-4D99-BB37-0DA134ED9639.jpeg
    A625FFFE-305B-4D99-BB37-0DA134ED9639.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 44

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I need an upgrade. A 3ct G/VS1 sounds good to me..:silenced:
SBF??..You must post a pic under a UV light...:wink2:
It's a bit annoying that a 7mm Octavia means 2ct, but to get to 8mm Octavia means 3ct - it's quite a bit more expensive... lol

DF i have some UV photos from the first day (below) but nothing as crisp as I would like.
Your suggestion has renewed the challenge! So thanks.
Do you know if there are different wave lengths of UV lights?
I mean, I know UV is a certain wave length but I wonder if there are incremental changes in the spectrum that might produce slightly différent colors in a diamond.

A6736742-A02D-4439-B0BF-CCC54FF5A66F.jpeg 0E154B25-4647-47C9-9AC8-9AFB6FFC77C1.jpeg
Great pics :)

There are longer and shorter wavelengths of UV, and I think they do cause differing fluorescence characteristics.

IIRC @Serg posted recently asking someone to do a comparison?

And there's also mention in the GIA report on man-made diamonds that @denverappraiser posted the other week in the Lab Diamonds section - it's worth a read! :)
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gia-on-hpht-synthetics-fall-2017.235388/

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Any afterglow to UV exposure ? (phosphorescence www)

Dreaming !

_

Then again, there were SBF TWINS !

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love your new photos. The shot on the way to the barn really shows the step cuts. The shot with the twist band is awesome and I love them together. Of course your fluorescent shots are fabulous. What a prize and keeper you have there.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The shot with the twist band is awesome and I love them together.

Yes, I think this is my favourite combination too! Something in the spiral effect of the ring really sets off the steps.

Your pictures, and the stone itself, are magical and beautiful. The fluoro shot of the ring on your hand is amazing!

How would you compare the performance to a ‘normal’ asscher? Is it a step cut performance but ramped up a lot, or are you seeing a different type of light return and performance?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marcy and lissyflo, thank you for your comments!
Lissyflo, i hope I can answer your question intelligently. I am seeing a different kind of light return and it’s an extremely active cut. I would characterize it as being very talkative and expressive.
It does a lot of different things at the same time and that combined with various lighting situations makes it difficult to describe. It’s an asscher, but it’s also something else.
Hope that makes sense.

Here is kind of an awful photo, but might illustrate a little bit of what I’m trying to say.
Yoram asscher next to a well cut generic.

912A058E-2449-4EF4-88AE-9BBEFC922CFB.jpeg

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is definitely a picture that paints a thousand words. Just beautiful.

And thank you for your description of its performance. It sounds captivating! Maybe it’s a good job all round that I can’t see one for real - it’s intriguing enough in photos.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Goodness @Jimmianne, all of your pictures but especially that comparison to a "normal" asscher makes me want a Yoram asscher so badly :eek2::love:. My sister has an asscher ering though so it's the one cut I can probably never have! :mrgreen2:

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW this stone seems to throw off chunky sparkles, reminding me of an older style cut. Great comparison shot with a "normal" Asscher.

I love the Fluor shots as well. Amazing stone, congrats!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really excellent pictures, thank you for posting! :)

That one with the ring glowing on your finger is amazing 8-)

I'm wondering if it's the kozibe effect that makes them so different to a 'normal' asscher - you can see the culet in the crown steps on the Yoram asscher but I don't think I've seen them in a standard asscher!

Whatever the reason, they really do appear to be a completely different flavour of cut :)

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, OoohShiny.

The sides of the diamond curve out around to the crown which then curves in to embrace the table.
I think the word embrace might be good. From the culet to the table the steps flow out roundly, then flow in again to hold the table.
So the high crown and small table combined with the precision cutting accounts for the general appearance, I’m just guessing.
I haven’t seen many asschers with a culet, and only one in person. My small asscher has a tiny culet, but I don’t recall if there is even a hint of a kozibe effect.
So is it the cut or can it be the culet alone that causes the kozibe effect.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven’t seen many asschers with a culet, and only one in person. My small asscher has a tiny culet, but I don’t recall if there is even a hint of a kozibe effect.
So is it the cut or can it be the culet alone that causes the kozibe effect.
That sounds like a question for @diagem :D lol

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... a hint of a kozibe effect ...

I see the culet reflected in each of the steps of the crown - so there it is, Kozibe in a step cut. If the culet was just a dot, the pattern of reflections would be different & no more. The steep & high crown (steep & high therefore small tale) is responsible, I would think ...

Yes !, I am also looking for that rounded profile of the crown (reminds stone arches), rather than trying to guesstimate the value of angles ...

Just a thought ...

What a beauty you have !

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mildred is not an Octavia??? She looks very Octaviaish to me! She is gorgeous...the cut is amazing!

Yes! This!

I can see some slight differences but - gees louise - they're close!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To my eyes...

Octavia = tiny table, large crown facets, no culet
Vintagey Asscher = small table, narrower crown facets, culet

Both look amazing, though 8-)

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would lose hours staring at that thing! :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results