shape
carat
color
clarity

Asscher - ASET assistance

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
They were one of our dealers at one time.
The best way to get one at this time is to contact Yoram directly at http://www.gemconcepts.net/

Karl, you were in business with Jann Paul? That's very interesting. Such an intense young man.
On a completely different tack, you are in the Chicago area? Are you familiar with Kessler's Diamonds, the Wisconsin chain?

Rend

Rough_Rock
Thanks @Karl_K. It's 3:00 am right now Israel, we'll let him sleep bit longer
:)
You put a diamond from Yoram on her and it will be amazing.
Hahaha I think you are right!! My girlfriend wants something classy and unique. This will go down so well with her

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Karl_K. It's 3:00 am right now Israel, we'll let him sleep bit longer
:)

Hahaha I think you are right!! My girlfriend wants something classy and unique. This will go down so well with her

If Yoram does a custom cut, you might even get pics of the process if he's able/willing - from rough to finished product, which would be cool!

This is @Dancing Fire's Octavia journey :))

Rend

Rough_Rock
Sigh, I don't think the Octavian is a go :( Maybe in 10-15 years when my girlfriend wants an upgrade and I earn more lol

Thoughts on the above diamond?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sigh, I don't think the Octavian is a go :( Maybe in 10-15 years when my girlfriend wants an upgrade and I earn more lol

Thoughts on the above diamond?

That is a shame but I am not surprised! I view it as paying for artisanal craftsmanship - more expensive initially but the quality remains over time when cost is forgotten! :)

The one above is not bad, certainly seems to work decently well at all angles in the video. I wonder if there's a touch too much obstruction of facets close together in the ASET/video when head-on, but the video setup/distance to the camera won't reflect 'real life' conditions, of course.

Rend

Rough_Rock
That is a shame but I am not surprised! I view it as paying for artisanal craftsmanship - more expensive initially but the quality remains over time when cost is forgotten! :) :)

The one above is not bad, certainly seems to work decently well at all angles in the video. I wonder if there's a touch too much obstruction of facets close together in the ASET/video when head-on, but the video setup/distance to the camera won't reflect 'real life' conditions, of course.

Back of my mind, I am still trying to figure out if there is a way. In the meantime I will try to enjoy through others here

I am trying to understand too much obstruction of facets close together in the ASET/video

@Karl_K thoughts?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Obstruction / contrast is useful because the darker areas mean the bright areas look brighter (comparatively speaking).

It needs to be spread out, though - as otherwise a 'dark blob' of obstruction/contrast looks really noticeable, instead of forming a visually pleasing pattern.

(IMO ;-) )

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Obstruction / contrast is useful because the darker areas mean the bright areas look brighter (comparatively speaking).

It needs to be spread out, though - as otherwise a 'dark blob' of obstruction/contrast looks really noticeable, instead of forming a visually pleasing pattern.

(IMO ;-) )
If Octavia is off the table I can help just a bit more.
yea that is pretty much it, your looking for patterns.
I'm seeing to much green to start and the center has the potential to be a bit dark static.

Rend

Rough_Rock

(IMO ;-) )
Aaah I see, you need right level of contrast. My diamond knowledge has exponentially increased by spending some time here beyond the 4c's :p

If Octavia is off the table I can help just a bit more.
yea that is pretty much it, your looking for patterns.
I'm seeing to much green to start and the center has the potential to be a bit dark static.

@Karl_K that would make my day! I will send you a PM

Edit: no PM function. Karl Could we do a quick call / Zoom call?

Last edited:

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I'm not an expert like Karl K. and OoohShiny but I do think that's an attractive Asscher. It's very white and clean and it seems spready (unlike the molars that I buy). What if it's one of those rascals that's much better than its imaging? Does your vendor have a good return policy?

Rend

Rough_Rock
I'm not an expert like Karl K. and OoohShiny but I do think that's an attractive Asscher. It's very white and clean and it seems spready (unlike the molars that I buy). What if it's one of those rascals that's much better than its imaging? Does your vendor have a good return policy?

I agree, the video looks better than most of the others above. The proportions / spread is really good Ooh interesting do you think it could be even better in real life, that is always a good sign
Return policy, not sure. He's small vendor. One person operation so I don't think he would return

Unsurprisingly the Octavian still on my mind hahaha.

Very interested to touch base with @Karl_K and see if there are a better option

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Aaah I see, you need right level of contrast. My diamond knowledge has exponentially increased by spending some time here beyond the 4c's :p

@Karl_K that would make my day! I will send you a PM

Edit: no PM function. Karl Could we do a quick call / Zoom call?
I prefer to limit myself to helping on the forums which is why I don't publish my contact info.
However since you are in touch with Yoram ask him to forward me your email address and I will drop you an email.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Even with a restocking fee? I wouldn't touch anything I couldn't return.
Can you put Karl K. on retainer?

Rend

Rough_Rock
I prefer to limit myself to helping on the forums which is why I don't publish my contact info.
However since you are in touch with Yoram ask him to forward me your email address and I will drop you an email.

Totally understandable @Karl_K,

Even with a restocking fee? I wouldn't touch anything I couldn't return.
Can you put Karl K. on retainer?
Yeah I would. I'd asked him if I could get two diamonds and see them in real life but he said i need to put a deposit down and he can't just return. I suspect it's likely because he runs a small operation?

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Delete your email address it violates forum rules.

Rend

Rough_Rock
Opps I did not realise that. Deleted.

Rend

Rough_Rock
Update and keep my journey on here :)

Karl is helping, but JA doesn't seem to have any ASETs due to COVID.
I've got a suggestion from GOG from David which looks really interesting and has the traditional wider windmills

Rend

Rough_Rock
Additional information. I like the look of the ASET, think it has a better balance of red and blue. Thoughts?

1605739520416.png 1605739550693.png

Rend

Rough_Rock
I am going with this stone :D Thank you to everyone for your help!!!

Some basic questions if any has any experience:
*Any experience importing diamonds into Australia?
* How insurance works when buying from the US? I'll check with Good Old Gold but thought I ask
* Do I need to separately take this out

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
That looks like an amazing stone!
ASET and Idealscope look great!
the video is amazing!!!
a D colour, too! It will be really white, which I love. I have an E colour asscher!

i have bought diamond jewelry (not stones) from USA.
Habe yiu considered the setting? Perhaps GOG is able to execute the setting as well for you? There may be other vendors that can help you with the setting. However, If you prefer to see the stone first snd get local jeweler to set the stone, that is great too.
Buying from USA- and with GOG, they will have the correct paperwork to ensure that you have the ausfta sorted which means it removes import taxes.

however there are still fees that you will need to pay.

customs will charge you the following
1) The invoice will be in USDthey will convert it to AUD. So the foreign exchange rate will be calculated on when they process the invoice.
2) the will be a handling fee of AUD$150ish
3) they will total the above snd then charge you the 10%GST.

the insurance is part of the vendor/ GOG responsibility. It is all wrapped up in the shipping fees. There is insurance associated with that shipping fee. Sadly, if it goes missing, the shipping company and GOG will have to figure out something. You still not have lost any money- you and the vendor lost the time you investing in finding the stone and the Stone.

you can try snd buy insurance tocover the stone in transit, but it is hard to find insurance company in AUS to help you. A few that I have contacted for other luxury items only cover you if you have the item in your possession. Given it is in the shipping company’s care- it is their insurance that covers theft/ loss/ damage. You may want understand what that arrangement is by asking GOG.

Rend

Rough_Rock
That looks like an amazing stone!
ASET and Idealscope look great!
the video is amazing!!!
a D colour, too! It will be really white, which I love. I have an E colour asscher!

i have bought diamond jewelry (not stones) from USA.
Habe yiu considered the setting? Perhaps GOG is able to execute the setting as well for you? There may be other vendors that can help you with the setting. However, If you prefer to see the stone first snd get local jeweler to set the stone, that is great too.
Buying from USA- and with GOG, they will have the correct paperwork to ensure that you have the ausfta sorted which means it removes import taxes.

however there are still fees that you will need to pay.

customs will charge you the following
1) The invoice will be in USDthey will convert it to AUD. So the foreign exchange rate will be calculated on when they process the invoice.
2) the will be a handling fee of AUD$150ish
3) they will total the above snd then charge you the 10%GST.

the insurance is part of the vendor/ GOG responsibility. It is all wrapped up in the shipping fees. There is insurance associated with that shipping fee. Sadly, if it goes missing, the shipping company and GOG will have to figure out something. You still not have lost any money- you and the vendor lost the time you investing in finding the stone and the Stone.

you can try snd buy insurance tocover the stone in transit, but it is hard to find insurance company in AUS to help you. A few that I have contacted for other luxury items only cover you if you have the item in your possession. Given it is in the shipping company’s care- it is their insurance that covers theft/ loss/ damage. You may want understand what that arrangement is by asking GOG.

Thanks Greg!!! The video looks fantastic, David from GoG is brilliant. Sigh $150 plus GST, wish there was a way around this.

I really hope it's not lost, I've been through so much to try and find the right stone :). I saw another thread here where the courier lost the diamond. YIKES!!! \

Re insurance, they are are saying it is fully insured. I've just done 2 test payments :D So finalize the order on Tuesday

I'm going to get someone local to set up, I think it will be easier for resizing etc.and if we need to change anything. I am getting local quotes notes. The design I am going for is this one

1605998772250.png d

Thanks for everyone for the support and help. Especially
@Karl_K
@OoohShiny
@Ibrakeforpossums
@tyty333

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks Greg!!! The video looks fantastic, David from GoG is brilliant. Sigh $150 plus GST, wish there was a way around this.

I really hope it's not lost, I've been through so much to try and find the right stone :). I saw another thread here where the courier lost the diamond. YIKES!!! \

Re insurance, they are are saying it is fully insured. I've just done 2 test payments :D So finalize the order on Tuesday

I'm going to get someone local to set up, I think it will be easier for resizing etc.and if we need to change anything. I am getting local quotes notes. The design I am going for is this one

1605998772250.png d

@Karl_K
@OoohShiny
@Ibrakeforpossums
@tyty333

I also think your asscher looks great! And try not to worry about it getting lost - my story did have a happy ending. I have had various high value items sent to me internationally over the years and none have ever been lost (apart from this most recent scare, which was only for a few hours!)

I hope you will post pics of the ring here when its finished.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock

1605998772250.png d

@Karl_K
@OoohShiny
@Ibrakeforpossums
@tyty333

the only way around those charges are to fly to the states yourself and have a holiday while you are at it... but of course Covid19 ruins everything. But the holiday cost (accomodation and meals) will far outweigh the handling charges snd gst.

That setting is a timeless one!

if time allows- get quotes from vendors in USA. They can usually do a better price compared to local.
But going local is great too.
I know of jeweler in Sydney (Joey at Jenny bay jewelers) that help me with my rings. IG handle is Jennybaysydney to check out their work.

i know of a few here in Perth thst could help. But think you in east coast, hence giving that connection. Other aus posters may be able to help. Perhaps start another thread about which vendor can execute the setting.

As to resizing- any competent jeweler can do thst for you. I have a local that I use for that.
I can’t wait to see the completed project!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going with this stone :D Thank you to everyone for your help!!!

Some basic questions if any has any experience:
*Any experience importing diamonds into Australia?
* How insurance works when buying from the US? I'll check with Good Old Gold but thought I ask
* Do I need to separately take this out

I'm late to the party but I think that asscher looks really good! Bright stone with just the right amount of contrast...nice find!

You can thank us by coming back and posting pictures after you have it set! We always love to see stones in their setting!

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Rend, if I could afford it, I would choose the Asscher you picked in a heartbeat. I'm not an expert but to me, it has an appeal that transcends all the tech. I hope it takes your breath away. It does mine.
Please send us photos of the finished ring.

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
If you do decide to ask GOG to execute the setting, I've had seamless and happy experiences with them for three basic three-stone settings, so I can recommend them.

Rend

Rough_Rock
I also think your asscher looks great! And try not to worry about it getting lost - my story did have a happy ending. I have had various high value items sent to me internationally over the years and none have ever been lost (apart from this most recent scare, which was only for a few hours!)

I hope you will post pics of the ring here when its finished.

I'm so glad to hear that everything was okay :) It's a scary thought!!!

Yep definitely will share once we get it set!!

the only way around those charges are to fly to the states yourself and have a holiday while you are at it... but of course Covid19 ruins everything. But the holiday cost (accomodation and meals) will far outweigh the handling charges snd gst.
Hahah I like the idea. I'm not sure if this qualifies as one of the reasons to leave the country in these times

That setting is a timeless one!

if time allows- get quotes from vendors in USA. They can usually do a better price compared to local.
But going local is great too.
I know of jeweler in Sydney (Joey at Jenny bay jewelers) that help me with my rings. IG handle is Jennybaysydney to check out their work.

i know of a few here in Perth thst could help. But think you in east coast, hence giving that connection. Other aus posters may be able to help. Perhaps start another thread about which vendor can execute the setting.

As to resizing- any competent jeweler can do thst for you. I have a local that I use for that.
I can’t wait to see the completed project!!

That's a good idea. I might even ask GoG about setting then.
I didn't realise I could get it set o/s and if it needs to be resized then that could be done locally. I wouldn't get anyone else o/s to set it, my heart would break worrying about shipping from GoG to another Vendor, then Vendor back to me. YIKES!!!

I called Joey from Jenny Bay, no one answered my call :???:

Rend

Rough_Rock
Thanks Ibrakeforpossums tyty333. It helps to feel safe with the decision :) Definitely I will post if my GF says yes ...

I got some quotes back from local vendors. Ranging from A$3.7k/US2.7k to A$12k/ $8.77k. That is such a crazy range!!! I wonder how much a "quality" difference there is between a $3.7k setting and $12k setting.

The $3.7k quote is from someone with 3 stores in West field (local shopping centre chain) and they have 4.9 average reviews on Google.

One Vendor flat out refused to set it. If you don't buy from him he won't set it. He was very rude about it, his business his rules I suppose

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Hahah I like the idea. I'm not sure if this qualifies as one of the reasons to leave the country in these times

That's a good idea. I might even ask GoG about setting then.
I didn't realise I could get it set o/s and if it needs to be resized then that could be done locally. I wouldn't get anyone else o/s to set it, my heart would break worrying about shipping from GoG to another Vendor, then Vendor back to me. YIKES!!!

I called Joey from Jenny Bay, no one answered my call :???:

oh no, I will let her know that you are trying to connect. She just told me that she has been getting lots of fraud calls from DHL... so she might have mistakenly deleted your call.

westfield shopping center jewelers. That is great to get a rough guide about the setting.GOG may come in cheaper or more expensive. Of course you ahbe to realise the increased cost means increased gst yiu habe to pay when it comes into Aus. So pls make sure yiu factor that in your calculations.

also check their respective website gallery to gauge their work, and their reviews.

yes - some jewelers don’t set outside stones. Too risky as they don’t know the stone and maybe lose some profit for not selling you the stone???

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results