shape
carat
color
clarity

Artists/Designers similar to CVB?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How would you rate cost for : Dk, cvb and sako ( order of least to most expensive). Any quality difference between the 3?

I am obviously not Elizat. But I will say this: Please understand that you pay for an artist’s vision and design time. Caysie and Sako are both designers. Caysie and Sako will both decline to copy another vendor’s work, outside of genuine antiques.

Also understand that whilst multiple designers have been highlighted in this thread, each has a particular aesthetic. A specialty, if you well. We always advise going to the vendor whose aesthetic best suits what you want. None of these three vendors will be producing misshapen bezels or messy milgrain.

I expect no one will be willing to answer your question as posed, because the answer is “it depends”. If you have a design or an idea in mind, it costs nothing to reach out for a quote, so I recommend you do that.

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I am obviously not Elizat. But I will say this: Please understand that you pay for an artist’s vision and design time. Caysie and Sako are both designers. Caysie and Sako will both decline to copy another vendor’s work, outside of genuine antiques.

Also understand that whilst multiple designers have been highlighted in this thread, each has a particular aesthetic. A specialty, if you well. We always advise going to the vendor whose aesthetic best suits what you want. None of these three vendors will be producing misshapen bezels or messy milgrain.

I expect no one will be willing to answer your question as posed, because the answer is “it depends”. If you have a design or an idea in mind, it costs nothing to reach out for a quote, so I recommend you do that.

Exactly this @dhimer . It really, really depends on what you are looking for IMO. Sako is the designer AND also his own bench, whereas DK and CVB work with multiple benches. Dk is not a designer, but has one in house. CVB is the designer, but is not her own bench...and round it goes.

DK has a reputation for offering very competitive pricing and I have personally found that to be true. But the projects I have used Sako and DK for are not apples to apples. One ring from DK was substantially less than Sako's, but another quote from DK was substantially more. The differences were $500+ in both cases.

DK also has a specific "uber bench" - so that difference alone will entail different pricing within just working with the one vendor. If you are looking for top of the line workmanship, I'd suggest requesting pricing for his top bench.

And adding more complexity and why off the cuff pricing is challenging...especially if it is fully custom vs. something that is already in their portfolio, that will make price vary substantially.

Do you want a custom art deco styled target ring with scrollwork engraving, caliber cut stones and an intricate gallery?

No clue how pricing would be across the 3 of them. They could be in line, they could be wildly different.

Long story short - request a quote from each of them. It will also give you a chance to figure out who you think you will work best with. I love DK's communication style - very succinct, very professional, consistent response times. No hemming or hawing about changes - in fact, extremely graceful about it. For me, that's what I want. Not everyone wants or needs that and some might gravitate towards a more friendly, "mom and pop shop" rapport.

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
Exactly this @dhimer . It really, really depends on what you are looking for IMO. Sako is the designer AND also his own bench, whereas DK and CVB work with multiple benches. Dk is not a designer, but has one in house. CVB is the designer, but is not her own bench...and round it goes.

DK has a reputation for offering very competitive pricing and I have personally found that to be true. But the projects I have used Sako and DK for are not apples to apples. One ring from DK was substantially less than Sako's, but another quote from DK was substantially more. The differences were $500+ in both cases.

DK also has a specific "uber bench" - so that difference alone will entail different pricing within just working with the one vendor. If you are looking for top of the line workmanship, I'd suggest requesting pricing for his top bench.

And adding more complexity and why off the cuff pricing is challenging...especially if it is fully custom vs. something that is already in their portfolio, that will make price vary substantially.

Do you want a custom art deco styled target ring with scrollwork engraving, caliber cut stones and an intricate gallery?

No clue how pricing would be across the 3 of them. They could be in line, they could be wildly different.

Long story short - request a quote from each of them. It will also give you a chance to figure out who you think you will work best with. I love DK's communication style - very succinct, very professional, consistent response times. No hemming or hawing about changes - in fact, extremely graceful about it. For me, that's what I want. Not everyone wants or needs that and some might gravitate towards a more friendly, "mom and pop shop" rapport.

I understand all of this. And I get that you pay for what you get. I guess I should have worded my question differently - do the prices they charge match their level of craftsmanship. Because, I have come across vendors ( none of these ones) who charge top $$$ and produce poor results.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I think it's very hard to compare.

The only thing I had David Klass do for me was an art deco brooch to bracelet conversion. It was done very well and the price was reasonable but he chipped and actually broke one of my sapphires. It was sent back to me with a missing stone. I never said anything because the workmanship was a fair price and it's not terribly noticeable.

However, I did not send any additional projects to him after he sent me my bracelet back with a missing stone and did not even mention it. I would have preferred that he mentioned that it happened in the process and just tell me, rather than hope I didn't notice it. Or alternatively his staff/he didn't even see it, which is another issue. I didn't return after. I also take issue with some of the designs that they have produced when it comes to using another designer's work.

I think that the work I have Sako do is on the spectrum of minor repairs to major projects. He has done some truly complicated things for me. however, if you are on a tight deadline, I do not recommend him as a great fit. His timing is always going to be flexible and as others have pointed out his communications are much less formal, which is good with me because I have a personal relationship with him, but you are not going to get a detailed invoice breakdown with everything line by line. It's not how he works. He is my favorite vendor and I will disclose that, because I think he's a good person, his workmanship is exceptional, and they can do everything in-house from repairing chipped stones, sourcing to cutting stones for you.

You can give him design ideas and he'll sketch it or cad something, But I do think it's best to have an idea of what you want before you approach him. That's why I don't think he's the best fit if you want to go to someone that's got a large catalog of ready-made designs that you just have customized for your existing stone.

CvB has very pretty designs, but again, timeliness is not her strength and communication can lag. I always tell people to add at least a few more weeks to whatever timeline she has quoted you. She is busy and she is sometimes I think overly ambitious on what her quote time for production is, when all factors are considered.

There are pros and cons for each vendor and some people just are a better fit with certain ones.

dhimer

Shiny_Rock

The only thing I had David Klass do for me was an art deco brooch to bracelet conversion. It was done very well and the price was reasonable but he chipped and actually broke one of my sapphires. It was sent back to me with a missing stone. I never said anything because the workmanship was a fair price and it's not terribly noticeable.

However, I did not send any additional projects to him after he sent me my bracelet back with a missing stone and did not even mention it. I would have preferred that he mentioned that it happened in the process and just tell me, rather than hope I didn't notice it. Or alternatively his staff/he didn't even see it, which is another issue. I didn't return after. I also take issue with some of the designs that they have produced when it comes to using another designer's work.

I think that the work I have Sako do is on the spectrum of minor repairs to major projects. He has done some truly complicated things for me. however, if you are on a tight deadline, I do not recommend him as a great fit. His timing is always going to be flexible and as others have pointed out his communications are much less formal, which is good with me because I have a personal relationship with him, but you are not going to get a detailed invoice breakdown with everything line by line. It's not how he works. He is my favorite vendor and I will disclose that, because I think he's a good person, his workmanship is exceptional, and they can do everything in-house from repairing chipped stones, sourcing to cutting stones for you.

You can give him design ideas and he'll sketch it or cad something, But I do think it's best to have an idea of what you want before you approach him. That's why I don't think he's the best fit if you want to go to someone that's got a large catalog of ready-made designs that you just have customized for your existing stone.

CvB has very pretty designs, but again, timeliness is not her strength and communication can lag. I always tell people to add at least a few more weeks to whatever timeline she has quoted you. She is busy and she is sometimes I think overly ambitious on what her quote time for production is, when all factors are considered.

There are pros and cons for each vendor and some people just are a better fit with certain ones.

Thank you! This is exactly what I needed to know. I had my heart set on cvb because I love her designs. However she is significantly backed up and as mentioned before not great with prompt response. Hence why I was asking about the other highly recommended PS vendors. I think I will need some hand holding during the design process and wonder if that will be a good fit for sako/cvb ?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! This is exactly what I needed to know. I had my heart set on cvb because I love her designs. However she is significantly backed up and as mentioned before not great with prompt response. Hence why I was asking about the other highly recommended PS vendors. I think I will need some hand holding during the design process and wonder if that will be a good fit for sako/cvb ?

If you want a CvB design, go with Caysie. She is better with text, I think. She is okay texting. If you have a design that is hers, I would have her do it. She works with many first timers, so she is happy to help and actually, a very kind and sweet woman! She will set up a call with you too, if you like, and is sensitive to working with first time clients. I think it is fine to need some hand holding.

My longest project was with Sako. One ring was 1.5 years in the making, I think.

But, it was also very complex.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My longest project was with Sako. One ring was 1.5 years in the making, I think.

omg can we see this complex ring? it must be something special.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

elizat

Ideal_Rock
omg can we see this complex ring? it must be something special.

I have a thread on it, but I happen to be wearing it today so I took a quick picture for you.

Project involves sourcing rubies, cutting into french cuts, complex calibre halo, started with over 8 carats of rough. 6.58 is the end ruby weight. PXL_20210324_201832608.jpg

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a thread on it, but I happen to be wearing it today so I took a quick picture for you.

Project involves sourcing rubies, cutting into french cuts, complex calibre halo, started with over 8 carats of rough. 6.58 is the end ruby weight. PXL_20210324_201832608.jpg

:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know you asked for “like cvb “. Victor Canera has a different aesthetic but can do Art Deco really great. But since we’re talking about time line and communication, he’s great. Always timely and sometimes early, in my experience. And responsive since I’ve worked with him. But note that may vary as I have never contacted him on a daily basis. And professional as well. But again, I am assuming that most of these artisans don’t do well with being micromanaged. So consider who you are and who you want to work with...

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
I really wanted to work with Caysie, but it literally took her WEEKS to respond to my texts... I had to constantly follow up with her even though I did tell her that I had a hard deadline. She would respond, ask a bunch of questions and disappear AGAIN. It was extremely frustrating. She just didn't seem very reliable. And reliable is something you definitely want, especially when it comes to something as expensive and personal as jewelry.
In the end I had to give up on her even though I love her designs.

I'm currently working with David Klass... and it's like pulling teeth, every minor change needs to be explained in details and requires a CAD change. I think we've been through 20 CADs by now and we are still not close.. If you are a design rookie like me don't use him.

Artemer has some cool Art Deco designs that they are willing to customize, but their execution is terrible.

I'm also now in the process of making a three stone with Old World Diamonds and I'm really nervous.

I think I have a major PTSD after spending so much money and constantly redoing/fixing my projects... Not sure if a unicorn designer actually exists. It seems that there are some drawbacks everywhere

I can really vouch for Erika Winters if you love one of her designs already. I ordered the setting and three weeks later it was ready. It’s beautifully made. I don’t think anybody could have improved the design she already had. Her designs seem to all be flawless. There is no headache involved as she really knows what she is doing. The downside with her is that the doesn’t allow for a lot of modifications. And I haven’t heard of a lot of custom projects - she wasn’t interested in my custom project. But it never hurts to ask.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

Wow @Elizat I’m sorry that happened with DK! I think if you had said something he would have try to rectify. How awful though!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@Mreader The area where the stone was broken is also quite clean. It looks like somebody took the time to clean it up after it happened. No jagged edges.

It's not terribly noticeable when you wear it, but it wasn't there when I sent it in.

I've never even worn the bracelet once because honestly when something goes off it tends to make me lose interest. I saw it and couldn't unsee it.

PXL_20210402_172658341.jpg PXL_20210402_173026912.jpg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@Mreader The area where the stone was broken is also quite clean. It looks like somebody took the time to clean it up after it happened. No jagged edges.

It's not terribly noticeable when you wear it, but it wasn't there when I sent it in.

I've never even worn the bracelet once because honestly when something goes off it tends to make me lose interest. I saw it and couldn't unsee it.

It’s a beautiful piece. But I can’t believe they would send it like that; a missing stone is going to be noticed! They should replace that stone for you :( I am sorry it robbed your joy - perhaps it will find a good home if you sell.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently reached out to David Klass by email about a setting. In my email I included a picture of the ring I wanted (which he made previously for someone else) my ring size and the diameter of the stone. He got back to me in a couple of days with a quote and I thought it was pretty reasonable.

I think it could work if you find a setting on PS he previously made and email him a picture. I’ve never done a custom project so I’d be rather chicken to design something from the ground up.

kimberlyqkim

Shiny_Rock

This is very helpful information, thanks for posting!

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock

Sorry this happened to you. I’d have hoped that they’d have replaced the sapphire for you if you mentioned it to them. I can see why you wouldn’t wear it though. It’d have bothered me to no end.

Thank you for this thread. Extremely helpful.

teddycake

Rough_Rock
forgot about her! i like her style so much, even more refined imho.

also there are some good vintage finds on victor barbone sometimes, i think those are mostly resold vintage items but not sure.

Yeah, I've been hearing a lot about Victor Barbone lately. I took a look at his website, maybe it's just the pictures, but the prongs and baskets in some of the rings look a bit wonky, like very 'artisan'

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I've been hearing a lot about Victor Barbone lately. I took a look at his website, maybe it's just the pictures, but the prongs and baskets in some of the rings look a bit wonky, like very 'artisan'

yeah i think other pricescopers have spotted items on that side that were flipped from ebay etc. as well

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
Don’t mean to thread-jack and please point me in the right direction if this information exists somewhere already. How do I find out which designers will work with my existing stone and which will only work with his/her own?

teddycake

Rough_Rock
Don’t mean to thread-jack and please point me in the right direction if this information exists somewhere already. How do I find out which designers will work with my existing stone and which will only work with his/her own?

From the ones mentioned here they I’ve heard of, I think most will work with your own stones except Victor Barbone and maybe Erika Winters?

David Klass and CVB will definitely work with your own stone. Pretty sure Sako will too. I think Victor Canera also takes outside stones.

elizat

Ideal_Rock

CVB will, Erika Winters will usually (I think she may have some exceptions), Sako will usually, David Klass will, Holly Hague will (she does enamel work), and occasionally, Victor Canera will. His policy on the site is to ask and inquire.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bumping this thread to ask if anyone has had success communicating with CvB recently. I love her designs so much, but the lack of response is not boding well. I can't find anyone else who has the exact designs I want.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bumping this thread to ask if anyone has had success communicating with CvB recently. I love her designs so much, but the lack of response is not boding well. I can't find anyone else who has the exact designs I want.
She’s textable/WhatsApp-able! ::)

gatsby2017

Rough_Rock
She also responds quickly to Facebook messages!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Elizat. Your bracelet conversion is sooooo amazing. I’ve never seen such a gorgeous brooch conversion. I’m sorry about your DKJ experience. I know they would be able to fix that very easily. (Sako could too!) I hope you mention it to them and ask them to fix it, so you can wear that magical piece.

maldkelton

Shiny_Rock

im having a hard time getting a hold of her too.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Hi Elizat. Your bracelet conversion is sooooo amazing. I’ve never seen such a gorgeous brooch conversion. I’m sorry about your DKJ experience. I know they would be able to fix that very easily. (Sako could too!) I hope you mention it to them and ask them to fix it, so you can wear that magical piece.

Ah, thanks! He did it maybe two years back. I may ask Sako. I was just upset with it when it happened and instead of raising it I put it away. I recently sent off pretty much the majority of my diamond bangles, but kept this one. It is suited to a bracelet, I think.

Goodness knows I mail a lot of things to Sako.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results