shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you worried about the Coronavirus?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My children are fine now - the one who developed a cough still has it (but normal coughs often hang around for a while anyway) but no pain from it. He was ill for 3 or 4 days and he’s not a kid who usually gets ill - I think he’s had a total of 5 days off school in 7 years. The very high temperature was worrying but it did come down quickly with each dose of over-the-counter medicine.

The youngest seemed less ill overall but for a bit longer - I’d say 5 days, and wider range of symptoms, but nothing that would have particularly concerned me under normal circumstances. He’s usually the one who gets ill more regularly with colds/temperatures etc, so I was surprised when he seemed less strongly affected.

I’ve only had flu twice but the aches/chills I had yesterday were less severe than I had with flu. I went to bed expecting to feel awful this morning but apart from the waves of nausea and uncomfortable cramps I don’t feel too bad. I got up for a bit to check on the kids but have come back to bed as I felt drained once I started moving around.

I’m assuming the kids are definitely over it and from what I hear children often have it mildly. I’m hoping on the basis of how I feel so far that I’ve got a really mild case, but I’m aware that symptoms can develop over days so I won’t feel relieved until I’m normal again. We’re all fit and healthy normally, with no underlying health issues, so fingers crossed we’ll all be in the 80% who have mild cases and don’t need hospital.

It’s my husband who worries me most in the grand scheme of things. On the basis of probabilities, he’s most likely to have been first exposed - until quarantine, he travelled on crowded London public transport, met many people in the course of a working day and often ate in crowded restaurants and bars. We’ve got another week of quarantine so maybe he’s just later developing signs, but he could equally have been carrying without any signs and have infected goodness knows how many people until we realised because our child became ill.

@lissyflo I am sorry about this and hope if you all do have Covid-19 it remains mild and you recover quickly. Glad the kids are already doing better! Sending you lots of well wishes.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still waiting on test results. Test was Wednesday afternoon so that isn't too crazy. Things may be about to get VERY shut down in WA. Nothing concrete. Just a sentence from the governor in a press conference yesterday plus some tidbits from friends on FB that seem to add up to something happening very soon.

Also, I managed to get grocery delivery through InstaCart! Delivery would become unavailable just as soon as it became available so I made carts for two stores (in case one was out of stock of what I wanted) and was ready to grab the window when it appeared. I don't know how much of what I wanted will be available. I may get almost nothing or a big pile. I was careful that even if it all shows up, I can use it. That plus the veggies I got in my produce box yesterday and what I already had in hand sets us up to comfortably manage a month in strict quarantine even if I can't get any more deliveries.

That is great! I think Costco Instacart days are over for the foreseeable future in Brooklyn due to the Costco lines..no way can Instacart support waiting on 3-4 hour lines to get into Costco here. I might try Instacart with other stores but I think it is just harder in Brooklyn because of all the people using the services now and the system is not set up for it. I did manage to order a few things (like 2 items lol but fresh didn't have anything in stock) on Amazon fresh but unable to get delivery with Amazon Whole Foods. There are just no time slots available anywhere here.

Stay well @TooPatient and TP DH!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is anyone else:

- afraid of ruining sh!t with all these Clorox wipes... ? I'm sure I'm using these on things that were never intended to come in contact with cleaner of this magnitude, let alone BLEACH?

- appalled by how filthy everything in the house obviously is based on the amount of dirt coming up with every single wipe, even this many days in?

- going to lose an eye by almost grabbing a Clorox wipe out of pure relfex instead of a make up remover pad? (Kidding... kind of... Note to self: Take the canister of wipes Off The Bathroom Counter!)

ETA:

- amazed at how many things you can actually do with your elbows?!

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is anyone else:

- afraid of ruining sh!t with all these Clorox wipes... ? I'm sure I'm using these on things that were never intended to come in contact with cleaner of this magnitude, let alone BLEACH?

- appalled by how filthy everything in the house obviously is based on the amount of dirt coming up with every single wipe, even this many days in?

- going to lose an eye by almost grabbing a Clorox wipe out of pure relfex instead of a make up remover pad? (Kidding... kind of... Note to self: Take the canister of wipes Off The Bathroom Counter!)

LOL

When we were living through RWGate hell we did ruin all our furniture at the beach. It was pretty sad as I loved my bedroom furniture there but by overzealous cleaning with Rescue I destroyed it all. So yes I would suggest be careful and be less zealous in cleaning.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
B0BE83CC-C82E-49FA-840C-46A451EC097C.jpeg

New Orleans opened up 2 drive up testing sites to the general public (after reserving them for health care workers for a few days). You have to have symptoms, such as fever or cough.

This is the line 3 hours ago.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://howmuchtoiletpaper.com/ At least now you can see how much toilet paper you have and how much you'll use....lol

the sad next point of course is no laughing matter. I'm making masks for medical personnel. the shortage is really scary guys. There's a lot of requests out there, I will not be as active as i have been because of this. Pray for our front line folks out there, to whatever or whomever you believe this is absolutely disastrous.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://howmuchtoiletpaper.com/ At least now you can see how much toilet paper you have and how much you'll use....lol

the sad next point of course is no laughing matter. I'm making masks for medical personnel. the shortage is really scary guys. There's a lot of requests out there, I will not be as active as i have been because of this. Pray for our front line folks out there, to whatever or whomever you believe this is absolutely disastrous.

I hope more companies step up and do what one here in WA did. They committed to making a huge number of masks quickly. We still have people sewing for nursing homes and other places that may need. It is so sad that it has come to this, but I am so happy to see so many step up to help!

Our governor redirected all of the masks that Target was selling to regular shoppers and sent them all to hospitals. Might be worth checking to see if something like that can be done in your state too.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you. We also have community members and I have family members working on it too.

Louisiana Governor is speaking at 2:00 pm today cst

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
Is the bolded accurate? I am in Southern CA and drove to a lake with a trail to walk my dog with a dog trainer friend. Our dogs need it, and I need the fresh air. We definitely stayed 6+ft apart the entire time, and did not drive together. Is it against the rules in northern CA to go to different counties? Just trying to clarify!

Yes, at least in northern CA counties, you cannot drive to another county to get fresh air and exercise. I am not sure about Socal.

"The order allows travel out of the county only for essential reasons," he said. "You can only leave the county for an essential job or essential government businesses."

Andy added that going on a hike outside of your county for exercise violates the spirit of the order because it is not necessary to leave your county to go on a hike."

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CNN had an article today about the new online self-checker from the CDC, with a link to the page that has the self-checker.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/22/health/cdc-self-checker-coronavirus-bot-trnd/index.html

"The electronic guide introduces itself as "Clara" on the CDC's website.

"Clara asks a series of questions to establish the level of illness being experienced by the user or the person they are asking questions on behalf of, whether for example they are gasping for air or suffering from shortness of breath.

"It also establishes their location within the US, whether they are in a long-term care facility and if they have been in contact with someone with COVID-19.
Recommendations range from calling 911 immediately to staying at home and calling their health care provider within 24 hors.Clara also points to the relevant state's health department for further advice."

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, at least in northern CA counties, you cannot drive to another county to get fresh air and exercise. I am not sure about Socal.

"The order allows travel out of the county only for essential reasons," he said. "You can only leave the county for an essential job or essential government businesses."

Andy added that going on a hike outside of your county for exercise violates the spirit of the order because it is not necessary to leave your county to go on a hike."

That's good to know. Not that anyone I know is leaving our county, but this isn't something I had heard before.

josieKat

Shiny_Rock

The county thing is interesting. Once it warms up here I do plan on heading to the next county over to take my kids for a walk in a favorite audubon area. It is away from the city and suburbs, so I figure it will be less crowded (it normally is anyway, but if it isn't we will turn around and leave). Travel in your own car with your own family is not prohibited (e.g., we could go for a drive and I wouldn't exactly be paying attention to county lines as I drove around in the countryside). I would actually have to travel further to get to someplace equivalent in terms of the outside environment and likelihood of other people if I stayed in my own county.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All campgrounds in WA are closed because people thought it was a great time to crowd into campgrounds and overwhelmed the communities near them. (Campgrounds are those awful 15'x15' park your car and pitch a tent all in a row sort of things.)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TR and I are now negotiating the terms for Strip Scrabble.

I'm not worried about the virus tonight, I'm worried about catching a cold. It's chilly here in the dining room!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TR and I are now negotiating the terms for Strip Scrabble.

I'm not worried about the virus tonight, I'm worried about catching a cold. It's chilly here in the dining room!

Sounds like a good time to break out the leggings under shorts under a dress look 8-)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just found out that the county had to close the public boat ramps because people were again doing stupid shit. Going to Peanut Island and partying, on boats, partying (in some cases with more than 10 people) Idiots won't learn and will keep pushing it until its a total shutdown.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just found out that the county had to close the public boat ramps because people were again doing stupid shit. Going to Peanut Island and partying, on boats, partying (in some cases with more than 10 people) Idiots won't learn and will keep pushing it until its a total shutdown.

Wow, one thing we are not in short supply of in this country is stupid behavior. :(

Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 8.09.11 PM.png

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
All of Asia are ramping up airport quaratine procedures. Taiwan has closed the country to foreigners, and Beijing is mandating 14-day quaratine at hotels for anyone flying in.

I'm seeing more activity in Shanghai, but people are still being cautious. Just to get into my office building, I need to go through 4-5 checkpoints, including showing my health ID and building exit-entry card lol.

hedgehog93

Rough_Rock
I think my SO has COVID-19. He got turned away for testing because he doesn’t meet the criteria... despite coming into contact with (now) two confirmed cases in his workplace. Put simply, Australia doesn’t have enough tests.

He doesn’t have a sore throat, no fever, but chest pressure and a pain in his lung when breathing in deeply. He is an otherwise healthy at 27, and very (2 hours per day exercise) active. Also a headache, and general fatigue. Relatively in line with what one of the other people who got tested had.

I hope he’ll be okay. The countdown is on until I get it I guess!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think my SO has COVID-19. He got turned away for testing because he doesn’t meet the criteria... despite coming into contact with (now) two confirmed cases in his workplace. Put simply, Australia doesn’t have enough tests.

He doesn’t have a sore throat, no fever, but chest pressure and a pain in his lung when breathing in deeply. He is an otherwise healthy at 27, and very (2 hours per day exercise) active. Also a headache, and general fatigue. Relatively in line with what one of the other people who got tested had.

Oh no! I hope it stays mild and that you don't get it. Take care of yourselves!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Here in Canada, our PM says that some auto makers are switching their plants over to making ventilators, and a local distillery is making alcohol for sanitizers for hospitals. A good idea for future pandemic response plans: identify and coordinate with companies to switch to manufacturing emergency equipment and supplies. I hope those ventilators come soon - not like a 2021 model!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of Asia are ramping up airport quaratine procedures. Taiwan has closed the country to foreigners, and Beijing is mandating 14-day quaratine at hotels for anyone flying in.

I'm seeing more activity in Shanghai, but people are still being cautious. Just to get into my office building, I need to go through 4-5 checkpoints, including showing my health ID and building exit-entry card lol.

SG has closed its borders and imposed a 14-day home quarantine.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WA

People have been getting travel permits that allow them to go to work if they are essential employees at an essential company. Nothing concrete announced. Just information from friends and others in the community who are receiving them. Sounds like medical staff use their badges. All others have paperwork that give permitted destinations and times.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh no!! Take good care of yourselves. Make sure you have plenty of fluids to get you though the fever (gatorade, pedalyte) Keep us posted on how you both are doing.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I hope if it is Covid-19 it remains mild and you don't get it...sending bucketloads of healing dust your and your SO's way @hedgehog93

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no!! Take good care of yourselves. Make sure you have plenty of fluids to get you though the fever (gatorade, pedalyte) Keep us posted on how you both are doing.

There are no supplies re fluids like these near us. I hope others have plentiful supplies but here there is nothing. By the time we started looking (last week) no Gatorade etc anywhere.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, one thing we are not in short supply of in this country is stupid behavior. :(

Screen Shot 2020-03-22 at 8.09.11 PM.png

And along that theme...Freaking unbelievable! :x2

Talk about disgusting and selfish stupid behavior. There aren't enough bad words to convey how I am feeling about this couple who decided against all reason to go ahead and have a big wedding. :nono:

"The bride and groom only offered f-bombs to a reporter after the service."

The icing on their cake. :knockout:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results