Are you worried about the Coronavirus?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful news, @MamaBee !!! I'm glad this window of opportunity opened up for you.
You seem like the best grandma!!

Hang in there, we're all going to kick C19's behind at some point!!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wonderful news, @MamaBee !!! I'm glad this window of opportunity opened up for you.
You seem like the best grandma!!

Hang in there, we're all going to kick C19's behind at some point!!

Thank you @kipari!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Moderna’s vaccine is 94.5% effective!! It doesn’t need any refrigeration like the Pfizer vaccine! :appl:

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
Oh my goodness @barbie86 I am very relieved you are A OK after going through Covid 19 twice! I am sorry your depression was worsened and you felt harassed by the tracing system and by the NHS. I can absolutely see where that adds to the stress and anxiety and feeling of isolation. :(

Do you know how/where you got Covid 19? And did you treat it with anything but supportive therapy?

Hope your parents remain well. That is a major stress for many of us.

Did you test positive twice?

The first time round was back in early March, when the NHS were refusing to test unless you met very specific criteria, so I couldn't get tested. However, I am basically 100% positive it was COVID 19, as the symptoms tracked, and, second time round, they were similar, just much much more mild (first time round I had a fever for 24 hours, aching joints for about 4 days straight, then a persistent cough kicked in which was bad (ie almost constant) for a week, then intermittent for a further 10 days; lost sense of taste and smell around day 4, which lasted a few days; second time round I didn't get a fever, but had aching joints at night for 4 days, and then a very mild cough for 5 days).

Both times I think I caught it from my partner, who had the same symptoms, but worse (in his case; first time round his cough lasted about a month compared to 20 days for mine; his fever lasted 2 days rather than 1; etc); both times I started displaying symptoms 11 days after he first did.

Also, for me, it was very different from seasonal flu. I get seasonal flu every year (sometimes twice a year if I'm particularly unlucky and get it the first time early on), and my symptoms are always the same; this was different. That said, for me at least, it was milder; seasonal flu has been known to wipe me out for 2-3 months (and usually a minimum of 5 weeks), in both cases with COVID I felt fine after 2 weeks.

My partner suffered worse as I said (and interestingly, he tends not to get seasonal flu), but was fully recovered after 6 weeks and 4 weeks respectively.

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
Moderna’s vaccine is 94.5% effective!! It doesn’t need any refrigeration like the Pfizer vaccine! :appl:

That's good news! The refrigeration aspect of the Pfizer one is a major issue IMO (and yet, the UK government have still ordered 40m units...).

Re the vaccine, sorry if this has been asked, but how do people here feel about it? Will you get it once it becomes available or will you wait?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Moderna’s vaccine is 94.5% effective!! It doesn’t need any refrigeration like the Pfizer vaccine!

It does need refrigeration although different from that required for Pfizer's.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
It does need refrigeration although different from that required for Pfizer's.

Thanks @Matata I saw that after I posted. Things are looking hopeful for us!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Things are looking hopeful for us!

There's quite a bit of concern from those in health care about how many people will take the vaccine. In addition to the usual anti-vaxxers, there are those in denial that covid is real, and a growing contingent of people who are ambivalent about vaccines in general. It confounds me -- the whole situation confounds me -- people dying of covid still in denial it exists; steadfast refusal to do 3 simple things that could have prevented the pandemic from being so dire; and those who will, in future, refuse the vaccine for various dumb *uck reasons.

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
There's quite a bit of concern from those in health care about how many people will take the vaccine. In addition to the usual anti-vaxxers, there are those in denial that covid is real, and a growing contingent of people who are ambivalent about vaccines in general. It confounds me -- the whole situation confounds me -- people dying of covid still in denial it exists; steadfast refusal to do 3 simple things that could have prevented the pandemic from being so dire; and those who will, in future, refuse the vaccine for various dumb *uck reasons.

I have to be honest, I will not be rushing to get the vaccine. I have had COVID definitely once, almost definitely twice, and it did not affect me much at all. Same with my partner. So I am not concerned about contracting it again. I then have a number of underlying health conditions including CFS.

I am therefore reluctant to get a relatively untested vaccine which could exacerbate underlying conditions like CFS, when I know that I personally can and will survive COVID.

I understand herd immunity and the importance of the majority of people being vaccinated. I am NOT anti vax and have all other jabs up to date. But I will not be rushing out to get this particular one.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i am always worried about everyone
but im ok with getting the vacine
im more than happy to do my part for heard imunity so the people who have genuine reasons or even fears of it, do not have to
i have an American freind who has asburgers who is convinced the vacine is some Bill Gates conspiracy
he gets so worked up about it, its not helping his anxiety or his high blood pressure

but im not high risk, so Gary will get his first
i beleave the govt have ordered 1.5 million doses so thats not nearly enough

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will not be stalling on a vaccination. I have white matter brain disease which makes me a stroke risk. Covid attacks the epithelium, which makes this a very dangerous combination. My husband has diabetes. Both my sons and I have asthma. To top it off, I don’t want to walk around contagious and dangerous to others.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

@Matata I agree with you 100%! I had to stop reading comments under news articles because people were saying unbelievable things..Some people actually believe the vaccine will have a chip or tracking device...Other people think the government is trying to eliminate the old people...thinning the herd. The most frustrating thing to read was that they believe this is all a hoax...There isn’t a virus...I can’t even believe it...It’s so frustrating and scary..

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe I had this in February, if not then most certainly I was infected when DH and DS contracted it in October. No COVID shot for me, the kids attend school and I’m sure it will be made mandatory but I will have their titers done to try to prove immunity that way. This worked for my older son for the MMR shot, he was way above the level he needed to be at.

Not sure about DH, if he is required to get it by his employer then he will have no choice since he is our only source of income.

ETA: To clarify our oldest had one dose of MMR but we did the titer testing before the second one.

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
@Matata I agree with you 100%! I had to stop reading comments under news articles because people were saying unbelievable things..Some people actually believe the vaccine will have a chip or tracking device...Other people think the government is trying to eliminate the old people...thinning the herd. The most frustrating thing to read was that they believe this is all a hoax...There isn’t a virus...I can’t even believe it...It’s so frustrating and scary..

I mean that does sound kinda insane... Tracking devices?! Really?!

But I won't be getting it. I had it and it was very mild, and I am not prepared to risk a relatively untested vaccine exacerbating my other underlying conditions.

If I was healthy, I would get it. If I had conditions that made me more vulnerable to Covid I would get it. But as it stands, no.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's good news! The refrigeration aspect of the Pfizer one is a major issue IMO (and yet, the UK government have still ordered 40m units...).

Re the vaccine, sorry if this has been asked, but how do people here feel about it? Will you get it once it becomes available or will you wait?

@barbie86 I will get it when it’s available. I’m 66 years old so in a higher risk category. I also have high blood pressure...My husband continues to work in an office. It makes me nervous enough that I’m alternating between two houses every two weeks to lessen the risk. I feel very fortunate to be able to do that. He will get it when it’s available...My 95 year old mother lives with us. She will get it when we do. My son, who has Autism, still lives at home. He‘s thirty-five years old so he may have to wait until the general population gets it. He’s healthy otherwise...I’m hoping they allow him to get it when we do because he lives with us.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll be going back to work in person (school teacher) just to make sure I'm in the second tier of people to get it! My husband, son, and baby will have to wait but at least I'll know I won't bring it home to them.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will have their titers done to try to prove immunity that way

Antibody tests are not reliable enough at this point to ensure immunity and the presence of antibodies does not mean that one is immune. Covid antibody and immunity research is in its infancy.

I'm a tad concerned about the long-term effects of these new vaccines which are yet unknown. That's one of the drawbacks to having to play catch-up with a pandemic. Not enough time to gather sufficient statistically significant evidence of a vaccine's efficacy.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Antibody tests are not reliable enough at this point to ensure immunity and the presence of antibodies does not mean that one is immune. Covid antibody and immunity research is in its infancy.

I'm a tad concerned about the long-term effects of these new vaccines which are yet unknown. That's one of the drawbacks to having to play catch-up with a pandemic. Not enough time to gather sufficient statistically significant evidence of a vaccine's efficacy.

This is true, it’s not reliable and we really don’t know if this will be an option OR if having COVID will provide any lasting immunity.

I am hoping also for reliable therapeutic treatments since it seems like this will be an ongoing threat, it would be great to have some reliable treatments that might shorten the duration and/or severity.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apparently South Australia is having a meltdown! They recorded approx 20+ cases in the last few days so have gone into a six day lockdown.

Of course in true Aussie style people are hoarding and buying up toilet paper.

I'm keeping an eye on the situation but I have every confidence they'll squash this. Victoria did it beautifully (albeit after months of lockdown).

A cleaner who was cleaning quarantine hotels caught it from a surface!!!

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
just back from the grocery store to fill up the additional freezer that we ordered so that we can minimize our usual weekly trips ... the hoarding of toilet paper has started ... lots of empty shelves

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
just back from the grocery store to fill up the additional freezer that we ordered so that we can minimize our usual weekly trips ... the hoarding of toilet paper has started ... lots of empty shelves

Are you in South Australia or another country?

I'm just super curious because at this stage I feel like hoarding toilet paper is a ridiculous Aussie thing. It's the first thing to go here! Nevermind that our supply chains are absolutely fine.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
Are you in South Australia or another country?

I'm just super curious because at this stage I feel like hoarding toilet paper is a ridiculous Aussie thing. It's the first thing to go here! Nevermind that our supply chains are absolutely fine.

im in southern california

ha! i don't feel it is a "ridiculous" aussie thing. apparently, it's a ridiculous american thing, too

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
... the hoarding of toilet paper has started ... lots of empty shelves

In the spring when TP was hard to find, we tried ordering from this company. Their "premium bamboo" TP is really nice, and the box is delivered right to your door.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
well, the california public health department has announced that starting on the 21st of november until the 21st of december, (with the high possibility of extension). most californians statewide must observe a curfew from 10pm until 5am the following morning whereby non-essential activity outside the home, is prohibited

there is also a mandatory "state-at-home" order throughout most of california

personally, mr. bff and i have been house bound since march. we have only left the house for weekly groceries. and always with mask, eye protection, gloves, disinfectant wipes, disinfectant spray and hand sanitizer

several "one off" exceptions of (with all protective equipment in place):

a scheduled car service

to drop off a diamond to a jeweler for a project

to meet with our banker

(in the coming week) to drop off our wristwatch to get serviced

the year has been a blur. i see no end to this feeling of constant, consistent "treading of water". i feel too privileged to complain .so i will continue to do the best i can, by making it as "nice" as possible ...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niece tested positive. My parents have been watching her after school so they’re likely to be infected too. They’re all self quarantining. My family will most likely be ok because we haven’t had in-person contact with them for weeks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results