shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you worried about the Coronavirus?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Mamabean Thats some pie I could get into right about now :kiss2:
I’m dying over here! I had the phone in my pocket. I butt posted gibberish and a pic of the pizza I made on Friday! How did I do that?! :lol:

finerthings

Brilliant_Rock
Everyone is so seriously over-reacting, let's get a grip. WASH your hands, don't touch handrails and then touch your face, stay out of restaurants/places with questionable hygiene, turn/walk away from someone coughing or ill, WASH YOUR HANDS before touching your face, don't go to work sick etc... the basics. When I traveled two weeks ago in the US I wore a N95 mask on the plane because the air on a plane is recirculated, and a whole family behind me was coughing for the whole 4 hour flight. Talk about jerks... they should have been the ones wearing the masks! What I am trying to say is that there are really simple measures to protect yourself, of course flying in a plane or other close travel is more complicated, but generally you really shouldn't worry over and above the basics. If you are sick, please STAY home, and of course the most important fact is... realize that most people are stupid and you have to protect yourself! ;)2;)2 So back to the basics ... WASH your hands, don't touch handrails and then touch your face, stay out of restaurants/places with questionable hygiene, turn/walk away from someone coughing or ill, WASH YOUR HANDS before touching your face, don't go to work sick etc... the basics.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m concerned for my elderly parents and a sibling on anti rejection meds. Just hoping everyone stays healthy.

DH gently reminded me this evening that we too are in an age group that could be hit hard if the virus were to spread. Oh the joys of getting older.

The pizza looks delicious @Mamabean. Thank you for the butt post!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone is so seriously over-reacting, let's get a grip. WASH your hands, don't touch handrails and then touch your face, stay out of restaurants/places with questionable hygiene, turn/walk away from someone coughing or ill, WASH YOUR HANDS before touching your face, don't go to work sick etc... the basics. When I traveled two weeks ago in the US I wore a N95 mask on the plane because the air on a plane is recirculated, and a whole family behind me was coughing for the whole 4 hour flight. Talk about jerks... they should have been the ones wearing the masks! What I am trying to say is that there are really simple measures to protect yourself, of course flying in a plane or other close travel is more complicated, but generally you really shouldn't worry over and above the basics. If you are sick, please STAY home, and of course the most important fact is... realize that most people are stupid and you have to protect yourself! ;)2;)2 So back to the basics ... WASH your hands, don't touch handrails and then touch your face, stay out of restaurants/places with questionable hygiene, turn/walk away from someone coughing or ill, WASH YOUR HANDS before touching your face, don't go to work sick etc... the basics.

I did all of that and more when I was in Manhattan in December. Dh is a doctor. We were proud of ourselves for doing a great job actively avoiding the flu.

Guess who got Flu A? Yup, both Dh and I did. Flu B was circulating in my area and they told me I was one of the first ones to have flu A.

This is airborne. Having eyes and a nose is a risk.

You can wash your hands all you want. That doesn’t mean you won’t get it.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m concerned for my elderly parents and a sibling on anti rejection meds. Just hoping everyone stays healthy.

DH gently reminded me this evening that we too are in an age group that could be hit hard if the virus were to spread. Oh the joys of getting older.

The pizza looks delicious @Mamabean. Thank you for the butt post!

Much love for your folks. I do worry about them and my sister. I'm pretty disgustingly healthy actually...lol But my sister has leukemia, her immune system still not where it should be after the marrow transplant. She does not know what it means to sit still.

Have you had discussions with them, put a plan in place?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m dying over here! I had the phone in my pocket. I butt posted gibberish and a pic of the pizza I made on Friday! How did I do that?! :lol:

I was trying so hard to understand that post!!! :lol: When there was tension on a thread in the past, people started posting pies to calm the thread down, so I thought maybe you were posting a pizza "pie"!!!:lol::lol::lol: However, the gibberish was hard to decode!!!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
4CFD2C6A-963E-4633-839B-7F2A5B1A1FF7.jpeg

finerthings

Brilliant_Rock
I did all of that and more when I was in Manhattan in December. Dh is a doctor. We were proud of ourselves for doing a great job actively avoiding the flu.

Guess who got Flu A? Yup, both Dh and I did. Flu B was circulating in my area and they told me I was one of the first ones to have flu A.

This is airborne. Having eyes and a nose is a risk.

You can wash your hands all you want. That doesn’t mean you won’t get it.

Both my husband and I both got the Flu B over Christmas (we both had our Flu shots in late October) and I understand how this current situation can make one feel both completely frustrated and helpless. But I choose to believe that I can control many aspects of my health, so I will take the necessary basic precautions to minimize my exposure without becoming a recluse. We are both over 60, I used to work as an RN in a hospital, and it is still my belief that following basic precautions offset the general stupidity of the population that doesn't know any better.

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was trying so hard to understand that post!!! :lol: When there was tension on a thread in the past, people started posting pies to calm the thread down, so I thought maybe you were posting a pizza "pie"!!!:lol::lol::lol: However, the gibberish was hard to decode!!!

:lol: I was reading the posts and I saw that I had posted! I have no idea how I did that! :lol-2:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I thought maybe you had tee many martoonis with dinner. You definitely get an award for the most delicious butt post EVAH! All hail the Mamabean's talented cheeks :bigsmile:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Im starting to worry, not so much about the virus but with scumbags making it political if we can pull together as a nation to deal with it "IF" it gets bad.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both my husband and I both got the Flu B over Christmas (we both had our Flu shots in late October) and I understand how this current situation can make one feel both completely frustrated and helpless. But I choose to believe that I can control many aspects of my health, so I will take the necessary basic precautions to minimize my exposure without becoming a recluse. We are both over 60, I used to work as an RN in a hospital, and it is still my belief that following basic precautions offset the general stupidity of the population that doesn't know any better.

Oh, yes, I forgot to mention that we both had the flu shot. Obviously we agree about the general stupidity of the people.

finerthings

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, yes, I forgot to mention that we both had the flu shot. Obviously we agree about the general stupidity of the people.

;-) I think this is the most frustrating thing of all! Just look at the number of people that don't even wash their hands properly after using the restroom... it really is basic hygiene and they don't do it! Now try to get the message across to them that this Corona virus matters... well, that is why I believe you have to be proactive but not go completely crazy. After all, we all have to go to work and get on with our lives, we can't just hide away in a cave. Of course, I am talking about the average healthy person, not the ill and immunocompromised, as this population has to indeed be more vigilant than the general population.

Last edited:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After all, we all have to go to work and get on with our lives, we can't just hide in a hole.

So true which is why I nearly wet my drawers laughing when S. Korea's response to covid-19 was for their 51 million people to stay indoors.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Without exception, every single person I know who has had the flu this winter had the flu shot (and I know you can't get it from the shot, perhaps it temporarily weakens the immune system or something)! I just don't have confidence in it as the effectiveness hasn't been good for years. My husband has never had a flu shot and never had the flu. He missed literally one or two days of work in his 39 years at his company! I had the shot a couple of times when I was a teacher and they offered them at school. However, I have only had the flu a couple of times in my life, and I had a job where I was constantly exposed to many children!

I totally agree with taking common sense precautions, and I use vitamin C and other things to help keep my immune system strong. We are over 60, too, so we try to do what we can to avoid exposure while doing most of our normal things.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We’re not panicking, but I would probably worry if I lived in an area with massive homeless encampments. Places like CA are going to have a serious problem on their hands if even one person in those encampments becomes infected; I would definitely be limiting my public activities/exposure and beefing up my immune support as preventative measures.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Arcadian , I remember all your sister and your family went thru when she was so sick. I hope she is doing well now and remains healthy. Your family is lucky to have you Arcadian.

My parents have promised if things were to get bad that they would stay at home. Mom also doesn’t like to sit still. We will make a plan tomorrow and make sure they have everything they need. They live close by so that makes things easier.

@Karl_K , It was just announced another person has been diagnosed in Illinois with coronavirus. They didn’t say what hospital they are at. I’m wondering if this case is near where the other two coronavirus patients were located. I believe they are located in the same county.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Karl_K , It was just announced another person has been diagnosed in Illinois with coronavirus. They didn’t say what hospital they are at. I’m wondering if this case is near where the other two coronavirus patients were located. I believe they are located in the same county.

yea same county, its a huge county.
Chicago and suburbs, 5 million+ people.
Flu cases right now have the hospitals packed and many nursing homes are restricting visitors in northern IL.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you see this man cough his way through an interview after he was released from quarantine??

And his wife is in Wuhan with pneumonia. Her dad died.

@whitewave I saw that...I was really upset he was sharing a water bottle with his daughter...She looked like she had some issues too...

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought maybe you had tee many martoonis with dinner. You definitely get an award for the most delicious butt post EVAH! All hail the Mamabean's talented cheeks :bigsmile:

I’m still laughing over that gibberish! Haha When I first read it I thought it was written by someone else...and they were having some strong cocktails! When I saw I did it..OMG.. :lol:
BTW The pizza was good..:lickout:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave my husband got the flu (would NOT go to the dr for it however) and thankfully I didn't get sick. I got the old people flu shot, he got nothing because he was like "I never get sick" I said, "BRUH, yeah you do!" Anyway he drove me straight nuts for 2 weeks. after he wasn't so sick, I made his ass go home so I could rest.

This morning they're saying 50 people in Riverside County are self quarantined due to exposure. So far, nothing in Florida yet, just the flu to which people are being disgusting as hell about. (sure lets cough in our HANDS, then proceed to touch shit on the store shelves....:roll2:) Makes me want to put on a full body suit...

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I work as a clinician for 2 large hospital systems so I get emails and updates on this about every other day.

I’m not worried for myself as I’m fairly young and healthy and even if I contract it I imagine I’d be ok. I think people or more worried about older folk, immunocompromised folk, and folk with respiratory disorders.

There was an episode on the Daily podcast a few days ago that was pretty good. In general I think the New York Times are respectable journalists who aren’t trying to be sensationalist. The reporters take on it was that the ease of spread is concerning, younger and healthier folk are likely to be ok, but it would still be a big blow if most people ended up losing an older family member to it :(. He was also concerned that it may end up being dormant over spring/summer and actually be worse next winter. Sigh.

My partner and I aren’t worried for our lives from the actually virus. But we are more worried about local governments being reactionary or supply chains getting disrupted if government decides to implement drastic measures in terms of quarantines or other limitations to movement. So now we have a month worth of canned food in our house lol.

Even if we get quarantined I’m pretty sure I’m essential hospital staff so I’ll still be leaving the house!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will be thinking of you and your son Housecat and sending many positive thoughts your way. I am also the mother of an asthmatic. I am worried too. I have been stocking up on food as well. So far I have bought mostly soup, canned veggies and fruit, some dry good like crackers, protein bars, and also peanut butter. Are there other things you recommend?

I will be thinking of you and your family too. I have all of the things you mentioned plus dried milk, and my boys eat ramen and raviolis. We also have a generator, gas, and propane. We gassed up the cars. We are going to get our trailer out of storage in case we need to quarantine a family member.

I don’t care if people feel we are overreacting. I would rather overreact and be prepared rather than under react and be underprepared when the stuff hits the fan. During Trump’s press conference yesterday he basically said that we all will get the virus and we will “get through it.” He also said it wouldn’t hurt to prepare. He’s telling the people that this will be bad through his propaganda speech. That is why people are clearing the shelves.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will be thinking of you and your family too. I have all of the things you mentioned plus dried milk, and my boys eat ramen and raviolis. We also have a generator, gas, and propane. We gassed up the cars. We are going to get our trailer out of storage in case we need to quarantine a family member.

I don’t care if people feel we are overreacting. I would rather overreact and be prepared rather than under react and be underprepared when the stuff hits the fan. During Trump’s press conference yesterday he basically said that we all will get the virus and we will “get through it.” He also said it wouldn’t hurt to prepare. He’s telling the people that this will be bad through his propaganda speech. That is why people are clearing the shelves.

For once his advice is actually in consensus with scientific authority.

From The cdc media statement

While there is still much to learn about the unfolding situations in California, Oregon and Washington, preliminary information raises the level of concern about the immediate threat for COVID-19 for certain communities in the United States. The potential public health threat posed by COVID-19 is very high, to the United States and globally.
At this time, however, most people in the United States will have little immediate risk of exposure to this virus. This virus is NOT currently spreading widely in the United States. However, it is important to note that current global circumstances suggest it is likely that this virus will cause a pandemic. This is a rapidly evolving situation and the risk assessment will be updated as needed.”

What May Happen
More cases of COVID-19 are likely to be identified in the coming days, including more cases in the United States. It’s also likely that person-to-person spread will continue to occur, including in communities in the United States. It’s likely that at some point, widespread transmission of COVID-19 in the United States will occur.”

My interpretation is that current risk is still quite low. However cdc is worried about potential future status. Unclear if that’s weeks or months in the future though.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband and son are going to a NBA game tonight and he said maybe our friend F would come to our house and park here, and then I could drop them all off and pick them up.

F just celebrated his divorce by taking his kids to Europe. Hold up, I said, tell me it wasn’t Italy (F is Italian). F is sleeping right now so we don’t know.

I said this is how it happens. Come back from Italy incubating, go to NBA game and infect everyone.... just saying....

It may not have been Italy, but I’m putting my money on he took the kids to Italy, including Rome and the Vatican.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh yeah, I told DH and my son that we are all going to get it at some point. We’ll just hope it’s an easy flu type of illness.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave I saw that...I was really upset he was sharing a water bottle with his daughter...She looked like she had some issues too...

I’m really curious for a follow up on these two.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results