shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you worried about the Coronavirus?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That if someone in a water department gets Covid-19 the entire plant may be shut down? That doesn't sound correct. This is a virus that is spread person to person, not through water or indirect contact.

I'm not talking about water contamination. If an employee gets covid-19 and reports to work before symptomatic, comes in contact with co-workers, then falls ill, it is reasonable to think that all employees who had contact with that person may be put in isolation until it's determined that they are or are not healthy. At the very least, the plant would likely be closed for a day or two so it can be cleaned/disinfected. A high school in Bothell WA was closed for a day this week for cleaning because an employee has a relative with covid-19 so the scenario isn't beyond reason.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have read people who tested positive, were quarantined, recovered and tested negative have now tested positive again.

That is frightening!!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is frightening!!

At least comfort can be taken in the fact that it isn't 100% lethal. But this is definitely a wake-up call about preparedness and vulnerability should a lethal viral outbreak occur.

What frustrated me was WHO's and CDC's original response being "meh, not to worry" which quickly changed to "ok there's a problem but it isn't too bad" to "we're thinking we're going to have a pandemic". I would prefer if they would just say at the onset of these situations that they don't yet know how serious it is and then wait until they're reasonably sure of the ramifications. I understand that they don't want the entire globe to panic but that happens to some degree anyway when their message changes daily and especially when experiences of the people who are at ground zero are at odds with what the "experts" are reporting.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't see where they are saying "not to worry" or it isn't too bad. They simply report the information that they know of, at the time. Which will change over time. They even have in BOLD on the summary page:
"This is an emerging, rapidly evolving situation and CDC will provide updated information as it becomes available, in addition to updated guidance."

Like every one else they do not have a crystal ball. What IS frustrating is the current admin is not even on the same page, when debriefing the media, what they are saying versus what the CDC and WHO are saying. WHO and CDC are are saying it is likely to be a pandemic (impact unknown).

Here are the updates given by the CDC by date.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
I have read people who tested positive, were quarantined, recovered and tested negative have now tested positive again.

That is frightening!!

My epidemiologist sibling-in-law says that the most likely explanation for this is that the tests lack enough sensitivity to diagnose very low levels of the virus, so it was never totally gone in the first place. I don't know if that's comforting or not.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because if someone in the water treatment plant gets covid-19, the entire plant may be shut down for awhile and nothing may be coming out of the taps. Sci-fi scenario maybe.

We've stocked up on water because we've been told to by our state government due to the chance of a massive earthquake hitting our area. We also have emergency blankets, candles, freeze-dried food, etc in the event it happens in my lifetime. The threat is serious enough that local and state government agencies have been adamant that residents are as prepared as possible. It doesn't take a lot of effort to ensure against unanticipated contingencies.

for earthquakes and other natural disasters, I can understand that. I have 4-5 gallon jugs that I fill with water during hurricane season, plus 50 gallon water heater and a bathtub (have to use it for something!). Thats a lot of water right there. My house has full house filtration with an additional one thats one highly expensive filter at a single tap for drinking.

Living in Florida, I've had to learn how to be able to treat water effectively. Infrastructure will not go away if people catch covid-19. again, natural disaster preparedness is different than covid-19.

For those who really won't need it, just my thought that its best to not create the hysteria OF thinking you need it. Kinda like in a snow storm when everyone buys bread and milk (and if the electricity goes out, where you putting all that milk, friend?)

I do have a generator but thats because I'm in the land of hurricanes and like you have emergency prepardness kit to draw from. as far as my generator, It does come in handy for other things (of course) but I wouldn't tell someone to go buy one because of Covid-19. Pretty sure we'll have electricity.

I'm not knocking anyone for being prepared because depending on where you live, and that area's natural disaster situation, you should be! But I believe that people should prepare for the right thing, you know? that store bought bottled water will only last so long, so prepare for when its gone, or maybe don't bother with it at all.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Chinese restaurants that I frequent are all dead and so are the asian markets in town. The Chinese community are freaking out. DD#1 would not allow us to take her daughter out to lunch.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I’m very near the area where they are telling schools to prepare for an outbreak. UC Davis is twenty minutes away. Two colleges have been warned as well.

We have stocked our home since we are so close to what is happening. I’m prepared to hear that my son’s school will have to prepare for an outbreak, at which time, he won’t be attending because i won’t take that risk with him. Incidentally, he fell ill yesterday, which scared me to death. I brought him into the doctor and he had strep. There was a small child in the office that had the worst cough I’d ever seen. There wasn’t a second where the poor thing wasn’t coughing or vomiting. He coughed on me. I don’t know why that parent didn’t take that poor child to the ER.

I’m very nervous.

My oldest son is a university student. I’m nervous about him because he is a pretty severe asthmatic. His lungs aren’t currently clear and his soonest doctor appointment is Monday. He is the person that is on my radar most.

You can order dry foods, meds, and water on walmart grocery and just pick up the stuff...it makes things very easy. Of course, amazon is good too. They will deliver gallons of water in two hours.

I will be thinking of you and your son Housecat and sending many positive thoughts your way. I am also the mother of an asthmatic. I am worried too. I have been stocking up on food as well. So far I have bought mostly soup, canned veggies and fruit, some dry good like crackers, protein bars, and also peanut butter. Are there other things you recommend?

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ideally I'd like an off the grid country home with solar panels, thermo batteries and wind power. With a water supply. How do I get internet though? Honestly, this would be my dream home. Pretty much only 2 or 3 rooms. A couple of alpacas and my dogs. Only hitch is the cold winters here. Dang.

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
Kinda like in a snow storm when everyone buys bread and milk (and if the electricity goes out, where you putting all that milk, friend?)

Well, at least if it is a snowstorm/blizzard, we can use the back deck or garage as an additional fridge/freezer! Quite commonplace here up north. My mother actually stores her winter soups (securely covered) out in the garage regularly because her huge stockpot doesn't fit easily into the fridge.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not talking about water contamination. If an employee gets covid-19 and reports to work before symptomatic, comes in contact with co-workers, then falls ill, it is reasonable to think that all employees who had contact with that person may be put in isolation until it's determined that they are or are not healthy. At the very least, the plant would likely be closed for a day or two so it can be cleaned/disinfected. A high school in Bothell WA was closed for a day this week for cleaning because an employee has a relative with covid-19 so the scenario isn't beyond reason.

HS closed again today so at least two days shut down. I'm not sure what they did for the other district here in WA with three people sick, possible covid-19

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you see this man cough his way through an interview after he was released from quarantine??

And his wife is in Wuhan with pneumonia. Her dad died.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First case of community transmitted Corona virus in Oregon reported today. Five hours drive north of me near Portland.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are being told not to panic and don't run the supermarkets dry and international simply chains are already under pressure
We get our groceries delivered and i did get an email asking that we tell them if anyone is unwell - i guess they just leave the groceries at the front door and you bring them in once they have gone

and as much as i don't like our Prime minister if she's telling me not to panic buy and she is more inforned than i am so im going to do what she says

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Getting awfully close to home. 15 minutes away (Bellevue, WA), we have the first case in the county. Plus half an hour away (Lynnwood, WA) is a community transmitted case in a high school student. (Both tested positive though not officially signed off by CDC yet.)

I'm sure hoping this is better than some people fear it will be...

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are two concerns about how this will play out in the US.

First, with our health care system many (most?) people avoid going to ER or their PCP due to out-of-pocket costs. That's provided that they have health insurance---many do not. So potentially many people with symptoms will not seek care or wait too long due to concern over the cost.

Second, US work culture is such that people will not self-quarantine effectively, if at all. In the US---people go to work sick. It is an expectation that you show up.

While I am glad the CDC is making recommendations for preparing for self-quarantine, for most people that is not an option. If they don't go to work they don't get paid.

If the US wants people to get tested and treated promptly---they need to remove any concerns about how people will pay for treatment. They also need to address keeping people afloat financially if they need to self-quarantine.

This is so true, I work in the public school system. As teachers, we are heavily penalized for being out for any reason, including sickness. I have not taken a sick day in over a year (even though I have certainly needed them).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My epidemiologist sibling-in-law says that the most likely explanation for this is that the tests lack enough sensitivity to diagnose very low levels of the virus, so it was never totally gone in the first place. I don't know if that's comforting or not.

Not comforting to me. :/
Thanks for sharing @jaaron

To inject a little humor.

B7106EE0-916E-4897-B0B7-BE5EBF5564D2.jpeg

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh @missy this picture made me giggle.

I went to CVS last night to pick up something and two people came in and grabbed all of the hand sanitizer. The really big bottles. I went to Walgreens today and its all gone. Can't tell if that is normal for this time of the year (I assumed they were teachers and stocking up). I just need it because I use it all of the time regardless of this situation.

On a positive note, I read that Vietnam has done an outstanding job with containment. This is from US News and World Report: https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2020-02-25/all-16-of-vietnams-coronavirus-sufferers-cured.

I think the next 7-10 days is going to be telling for us here in the US.

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
My husband went to do the shopping today and noticed empty shelves for anti bacterial gel, medicines and low stocks of canned and dry food etc.
Due to the change in tone of the advice from NHS, WHO, UK government we are prepping some 'just in case supplies'.
It's hard to plan as my son gets very anxious at the slightest change and we tend not to have the news on the TV/radio. ::)
So I guess we are not panicking but taking the middle ground.
Hope everyone is ok and not getting too anxious!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first death in the US just happened 20 minutes from me. This is unrelated to the two cases confirmed and talked about in our area yesterday.

I continue to be shocked that people aren't washing their hands. I was washing mine after using a restroom yesterday. One person left without washing and another paused just long enough to run a bit of cold water on her fingers for <2 seconds. That was just while I was washing my hands! Anything is going to spread if people don't follow some basic hygiene rules!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first death in the US just happened 20 minutes from me. This is unrelated to the two cases confirmed and talked about in our area yesterday.

I continue to be shocked that people aren't washing their hands. I was washing mine after using a restroom yesterday. One person left without washing and another paused just long enough to run a bit of cold water on her fingers for <2 seconds. That was just while I was washing my hands! Anything is going to spread if people don't follow some basic hygiene rules!
Yes, it's always been super disgusting, but now it's more dangerous than ever. I heard a the director of the French Institute for Hygiene on the radio who said that most big flu epidemics could be avoided if people just washes their hands regularly. Like after taking public transportation or the restroom :sick:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m sitting in the Sam’s Club parking lot in Maryland while my husband packs the car with $589 worth of TP, water, tuna fish, etc. I got two gigantic bottles of sanitizers which were flying off the shelves. We’re going to put all this extra stuff in the guest bedroom because there’s nowhere else to put it right now. I talked to my husband about how I was going to leave Pa and go to Maryland with my son, mother and the dog if he continues flying and meeting with tons of people...He understood because his company has already implemented plans if it comes to the area...so he understands the concern. He will most likely not be home and at the job during this anyway. I pray it doesn’t get as bad as some people say it will.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, at least if it is a snowstorm/blizzard, we can use the back deck or garage as an additional fridge/freezer! Quite commonplace here up north. My mother actually stores her winter soups (securely covered) out in the garage regularly because her huge stockpot doesn't fit easily into the fridge.

@josieKat I can agree, if you live in a house. I've had to go that route a few times when I lived in massachusetts (not in Boston though!) but apartments...in the projects? lol um no, I grew up in the projects in the Midwest. That was not a thing to do.

@Mamabean There's literally no hand sanitizer here. I'm really not worried about that fact considering most people don't use it the right way and it can't even kill off Influenza A. I do worry about the situation with alcohol because that has gotten exceptionally scarce. Lots of people take shots(insulin and what have you) and these are the people who might be without. My mom said she's ok they have plenty there, and then there's the white lightening stash...lol Speaking of meds, I made sure my parents had at least 90 days stashed away of their most needed meds. and they have a decent canned good stash. Most of my siblings live close to them so all should be well.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can only get my meds one month's worth at a time. My insurance doesn't cover more frequently than that. Same for everyone in my family. I will go to costco for some TP, but that's about it. I just cleaned out my pantry recently and do not want to refill it! I was talking to my pharmacist today and she says everyone is asking her about getting the flu shot now, but they're done for the year.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Arcadian @lyra My insurance refills meds for 90 days but my son is already a month and a half into his supply. His other med I have more than three months. I, personally, will run out in less than two months so depending on when we head to Maryland I may be low. I may transfer our meds to the local
CVS in Maryland and just take my chances getting them. I’ll have my mom who’s 94 with me as well as my adult son with Autism who also need meds. My dog, Bailey, takes a ton of meds too..:wall:

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh @missy this picture made me giggle.

I went to CVS last night to pick up something and two people came in and grabbed all of the hand sanitizer. The really big bottles. I went to Walgreens today and its all gone. Can't tell if that is normal for this time of the year (I assumed they were teachers and stocking up). I just need it because I use it all of the time regardless of this situation.

On a positive note, I read that Vietnam has done an outstanding job with containment. This is from US News and World Report: https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2020-02-25/all-16-of-vietnams-coronavirus-sufferers-cured.

I think the next 7-10 days is going to be telling for us here in the US.

I read that ordinary soap and water is more effective than hand sanitizer - although not nearly as easy to pop into your bag ;)2

Have you tried - not sure what they call them where you live - but the $1 shops ? They used to all stock hand sanitizer here - i used to buy mine from the avon lady to keep in the glove box of the car
We mainly only use hand sanatizer when we are camping and its not very good at getting dirt off but i see its advantages when on the go
And i did get sick once im sure from using a hand rail at the railway station (i had just before washed my hands after using the loo) then eatting a packet of chips on the train home - hand sanatizer might have prevented that

sometime I've been trying to do since learning about it last night is washing my hands for the recomended time - 20 seconds
on the article on the news last night they recomended singing happy birthday twice - its a lot longer than expected - i was quite shocked that i havn't been washing my hands for nearly long enough

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@josieKat I can agree, if you live in a house. I've had to go that route a few times when I lived in massachusetts (not in Boston though!) but apartments...in the projects? lol um no, I grew up in the projects in the Midwest. That was not a thing to do.

@Mamabean There's literally no hand sanitizer here. I'm really not worried about that fact considering most people don't use it the right way and it can't even kill off Influenza A. I do worry about the situation with alcohol because that has gotten exceptionally scarce. Lots of people take shots(insulin and what have you) and these are the people who might be without. My mom said she's ok they have plenty there, and then there's the white lightening stash...lol Speaking of meds, I made sure my parents had at least 90 days stashed away of their most needed meds. and they have a decent canned good stash. Most of my siblings live close to them so all should be well.

@Arcadian Haha about having the white lightening stash...That’s good your parents have a three month supply of meds. You can probably buy alcohol from Amazon. That’s what I’m planning to use when and if I need something.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can only get my meds one month's worth at a time. My insurance doesn't cover more frequently than that. Same for everyone in my family. I will go to costco for some TP, but that's about it. I just cleaned out my pantry recently and do not want to refill it! I was talking to my pharmacist today and she says everyone is asking her about getting the flu shot now, but they're done for the year.

I tried getting the flu shot in november (late spring) last year because there had been a shortage through winter and i wasn't in an at risk group - but the nurse said they had hardly any stock and i felt like she didn't want me to get it
But with so much international travel these days flu season is any time

Everdently by november the manufacturs of the vacine are already working on production on the next northern hemisphere vaccine (and that's usually a diffetent strain anyway)

Kind of like when the shops run out of fans in summer but the suppliers can't get more because the overseas factories are now filling northern hemisphere preorders

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

So tell me Nala, at what number of people with it and people dead from it do you conceed it's not mass hysteria it's actually a real issue? If it's 100 000 infected then we will be at that number soon if not already, if it's 250 000 then I'd guess it won't take that long to get to that number either....

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So tell me Nala, at what number of people with it and people dead from it do you conceed it's not mass hysteria it's actually a real issue? If it's 100 000 infected then we will be at that number soon if not already, if it's 250 000 then I'd guess it won't take that long to get to that number either....

Are you serious right now? Considering you kept providing the wrong stats, I’m not sure i can convince you with logic.
ETA: if you really want to know when it stops becoming mass hysteria—when it poses a real threat to the entire population like the flu does — which a lot of people don’t even panic as much over bc they are used to it. So unless the virus is going to mutate and start killing everyone rather than just giving the majority a fever and cough and maybe vomit— then you will be vindicated and I will be proven wrong. And I’m sure you will come back to post and chant that I was wrong. But it won’t matter bc we will all be dead. But you will win. I will have been proven wrong.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results