shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you worried about the Coronavirus?

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are being told not to panic and don't run the supermarkets dry and international simply chains are already under pressure
We get our groceries delivered and i did get an email asking that we tell them if anyone is unwell - i guess they just leave the groceries at the front door and you bring them in once they have gone

and as much as i don't like our Prime minister if she's telling me not to panic buy and she is more inforned than i am so im going to do what she says

I have a girl crush on Jacinda. She's awesome :kiss2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a girl crush on Jacinda. She's awesome :kiss2:

Let me find a big envelope and I'll post her to you ;)2

I will say however she does seem to be a nice caring person (something that our last 3 prime ministers although vastly different politically all had in common)
Recently there was a rather nasty on line advertisement from her party making fun of the leader of the opposition's accent and she had it pulled because it was mean - which was the right and honorable thing to do

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you serious right now? Considering you kept providing the wrong stats, I’m not sure i can convince you with logic.
ETA: if you really want to know when it stops becoming mass hysteria—when it poses a real threat to the entire population like the flu does — which a lot of people don’t even panic as much over bc they are used to it. So unless the virus is going to mutate and start killing everyone rather than just giving the majority a fever and cough and maybe vomit— then you will be vindicated and I will be proven wrong.

I didn't provide the wrong stats, I gave a general link to a site that updates the numbers of people that have it conservatively, you posted the wrong stats on the % of people that die from Corona.

The virus might mutate, it's an actual possibility. My point is it IS already posing a real threat to the population, like the flu does, so I guess a heap more people have to get sick and die before you will concede that. There is no vindication going on here, you are arguing it's not that bad, it's a media beat up, I have been arguing for weeks it's going to be bad, and now it's already to the point where it IS bad....

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't provide the wrong stats, I gave a general link to a site that updates the numbers of people that have it conservatively, you posted the wrong stats on the % of people that die from Corona.

The virus might mutate, it's an actual possibility. My point is it IS already posing a real threat to the population, like the flu does, so I guess a heap more people have to get sick and die before you will concede that. There is no vindication going on here, you are arguing it's not that bad, I have been arguing for weeks it's going to be bad, and now it's already to the point where it IS bad....
You did give the wrong stats. Scroll up. You said it went from 20k to 80k overnight or some such. And if I were you, I would want to be surrounded by people who have a more positive outlook than you do. So what if you have been saying it’s gonna be bad. So what? Do you pray that you will be proven right and that we all will die? Why exactly are you offended by my positive outlook? Is
My opinion jeopardizing you in any way? Maybe instead of your doom and gloom, you should focus on reading the stats correctly. I apologize if you fall under the group that it poses a real threat for—the elderly and the weak immune system. I guess that i can see why you and I would have different perspectives if that is the case. If it isn’t, I don’t know why you insist on calling me out for my opinion.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You did give the wrong stats. Scroll up. You said it went from 20k to 80k overnight or some such. And if I were you, I would want to be surrounded by people who have a more positive outlook than you do. So what if you have been saying it’s gonna be bad. So what? Do you pray that you will be proven right and that we all will die? Why exactly are you offended by my positive outlook? Is
My opinion jeopardizing you in any way? Maybe instead of your doom and gloom, you should focus on reading the stats correctly.

I had an aunt die of the flu (I think she did have a flu shot) and I put a 92 year old great aunt into a nursing home a few weeks ago, and my grandmother is 96 and about to be put into a nursing home in the next month or two as well. I have a deep concern that they both will be impacted if the virus spreads because nursing homes are the places where I live where a lot of people every year die of the flu.

My brother died when he was 6 years old from a staph infection he picked up in hospital. So yes Nala, if it makes you happy to hear it, I guess I see doom and gloom and you see sunshine and roses.

O.K, give me accurate stats, (because the site I've been looking at is obviously been out by a few days) enlighten me to somehow change my opinion.

"If you were me, you would want to be surrounded by people who have a more positive outlook?" Wow, I'd write what I really think of that comment and of you but I'd be banned from PS for the next few months.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think personally a positive outlook is very important
If one thinks a bad thing will happen to them it usually does

My other half has a compromised immune system and he is a not overly old 67 so im a little concerned but im not rushing out buying masks and running the supermarkets dry

im trying really hard to get out of the habit of touching my face and hair and concentrating on good handwashing practice

the way the shearmarket reacts is total bull s***

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had an aunt die of the flu (I think she did have a flu shot) and I put a 92 year old great aunt into a nursing home a few weeks ago, and my grandmother is 96 and about to be put into a nursing home in the next month or two as well. I have a deep concern that they both will be impacted if the virus spreads because nursing homes are the places where I live where a lot of people every year die of the flu.

My brother died when he was 6 years old from a staph infection he picked up in hospital. So yes Nala, if it makes you happy to hear it, I guess I see doom and gloom and you see sunshine and roses.

O.K, give me accurate stats, (because the site I've been looking at is obviously been out by a few days) enlighten me to somehow change my opinion.

If you were me, you would want to be surrounded by people who have a more positive outlook? Wow, I'd write what I really think of that comment and of you but I'd be banned from PS for the next few months.

This is indeed a worry :(2
That's so sad about your little brother
Im so sorry to read that

Have you asked the nursing home what strategies they have to protect the old and vulnerable ?
All hospitals and rest homes ive visited in the last few years have hand sanitizer and signage but i don't see everyone using it

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium

"If you were me, you would want to be surrounded by people who have a more positive outlook?" Wow, I'd write what I really think of that comment and of you but I'd be banned from PS for the next few months.
Then by all means., put me on ignore...I won’t even notice much less be offended. I can see you are triggered by my words and it is harming you to read them. Do yourself a favor and ignore me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean We have something in common regarding children. We will have to email sometime.

Regarding coronavirus, I am being watchful and cautious. I have seen scares for years over so many viruses...swine flu, bird flu, ebola, zika virus, etc. that amounted to virtually nothing. So I am skeptical of overeactions to these things until I see more evidence. The situation in China sounds like it is winding down (more recovering and fewer new cases) and that is very encouraging. They have horrific air pollution in the Wuhan area, so if anything, that death toll is likely on the high side and the people were more susceptible to getting it in the first place. I'm willing to bet the typical flu and pneumonia death rates in a winter are FAR higher than this virus.

I am taking the same precautions I do during flu season. I take extra vitamin C, Vitamin D, elderberry if I start feeling like I am getting a cold, and eat healthy foods. My Walmart has something like chlorox wipes at the entry so you can clean your cart handle, and I always do that in the fall and winter months. I was suprised that everyone else entering around the time I did neglected to do that. I wash my hands and was glad I had read awhile back that hand sanitizer is not nearly as effective as washing hands well. I have felt like a cold was coming on three times since the fall began, and each time I have been able to knock it out pretty much within 24 hours because of the things I am doing to boost my immune system.

If it comes this way, we will stay home. I haven't stocked up on much because I have a fairly well stocked pantry and freezer. I saw no evidence of shortage or empty shelves yesterday at the two stores I visited. I still think I have plenty of time to buy extra since we are in an area that is probably lower risk than some others. I hope this turns out to be much milder than they are suggesting, but regardless, I certainly hope and pray for everyone to stay safe and well!

(ohhh, and I stay far from doctors offices and hospitals in the winter unless there is a dire emergency!)

Last edited:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then by all means., put me on ignore...I won’t even notice much less be offended. I can see you are triggered by my words and it is harming you to read them. Do yourself a favor and ignore me.

I don't think I'm triggered by your words any more than you are mine. Yes I live with an immune system that has issues, as does or did a lot of my family members who are currently dead.... the flu and Corona, is a very real threat to some people.
Please put me on ignore as well, a happy solution for everyone. :lol-2::mrgreen2::P2

@Daisys and Diamonds - they have hand sanitiser and checklists but in Australia nursing homes are often places where a lot of the elderly die of the flu every year because they have a captive group of vulnerable people. In a lot of nursing homes they give them the flu vaccine, but the last two years the elderly that had them still got sick and some of them died.

Last edited:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree nursing homes are a worry right now. Two confirmed cases in this nursing facility including one worker. The patient is the first US death.

Nursing facility possible outbreak

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
if you really want to know when it stops becoming mass hysteria

Washington State just declared a state of emergency. Two days ago there wasn't an issue. Only one person has died from covid-19 in Washington. Just today, they announced that it has hit hard in an elder care facility -- residents and staff alike. Two public schools are closed in Wash. also due to the virus. So is the entire state showing mass hysteria by declaring a state of emergency or a reasonable response to attempt to contain the outbreak as much as possible.

So unless the virus is going to mutate and start killing everyone rather than just giving the majority a fever and cough and maybe vomit

Funny you should bring this up. I was thinking last night about corona virus in cats. Almost all cats carry the virus and it is usually benign. In about 1-5% of cats, the virus mutates into FIP which has a 100% mortality rate. No cause has yet been found for the reason for the mutation. I've been wondering if covid-19 will act the same way. Lay dormant in most of us and occasionally erupt into a mutated version with 100% fatality. Both covid-19 and the corona virus in cats are related to the corona virus that causes SARS and MERS. Nature is sly that way.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Washington State just declared a state of emergency. Two days ago there wasn't an issue. Only one person has died from covid-19 in Washington. Just today, they announced that it has hit hard in an elder care facility -- residents and staff alike. Two public schools are closed in Wash. also due to the virus. So is the entire state showing mass hysteria by declaring a state of emergency or a reasonable response to attempt to contain the outbreak as much as possible.

Funny you should bring this up. I was thinking last night about corona virus in cats. Almost all cats carry the virus and it is usually benign. In about 1-5% of cats, the virus mutates into FIP which has a 100% mortality rate. No cause has yet been found for the reason for the mutation. I've been wondering if covid-19 will act the same way. Lay dormant in most of us and occasionally erupt into a mutated version with 100% fatality. Both covid-19 and the corona virus in cats are related to the corona virus that causes SARS and MERS. Nature is sly that way.

I just linked an article about the nursing facility in a post above. This is too near me to not pay attention to. The one school in Bothell is open again and was a false alarm. The other school has a student with positive test. That will be interesting to see how it spreads in those supposedly least likely to get.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium

To your first question: I still maintain yes. San Francisco and Orange County also declared a state of emergency when no cases were present. It’s good to be prepared and i didn’t ever deny that. It becomes mass hysteria when the stock market takes a shit bc the news fixates on the novelty of this virus and sends people into a frenzy over the potential of getting what amounts to a fever, cough and vomit. Oh yeah. Mass hysteria when political ads start using the virus as part of their advertising and political parties use it as part of their agenda.
And no. It’s not funny that I mention the virus mutating. I mention it to prove my point that until it we see evidence that is has mutated because it’s killing everyone it reaches, then
It it will be a deadly virus capable of wiping out more than just our retirement accounts.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The one school in Bothell is open again and was a false alarm.

You're on my mind. Keep us posted. Sorry I made an error and included the school in Lake Oswego OR in the earlier post. 430 students in the school. Staff member was working until symptoms appeared 9 days ago. Officials trying to determine how many were exposed. They keep focussing on "deep cleaning" of the school but everything I've read so far says the virus is viable for just a few hours on surfaces so I don't know why they bother with cleaning if the facility is going to be closed for days. PR move probably.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
for those having issues with meds, could you possibly talk to your dr about it? I talked to my mom and dad's doc and they were more than happy to write for more of the most needed stuff. Myself, I don't take as many and, I kinda get mine where I can in general, if I have to pay out of pocket I bite the bullet and do it...my most needed med is albuterol. and yes I do have a MM card but I have MORE than enough of that stuff...lol

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm super glad I'm not out shopping the last couple of days. Things are ranging from busy to absolute insanity worse than the holidays. People are posting photos. Stores are out of hand sanitizer, toilet paper, paper towels, pasta, bottled water, and most non-perishible stuff.

Photos from a local FB group... 88095475_10157647240907561_1734238932914143232_n.jpg 87905413_10221537702341921_4323593416236597248_n.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It becomes mass hysteria when the stock market takes a shit bc the news fixates on the novelty of this virus and sends people into a frenzy over the potential of getting what amounts to a fever, cough and vomit.

That is not why the stock market took a shit. It took a shit because the virus is affecting global trade and travel. The virus crippled large swaths of Chinese manufacturing, leading to shortages of goods/products US companies depend on, especially in the tech industry. It's all about the money.

It’s not funny that I mention the virus mutating.

"It's funny" is a figure of speech, not meant has a "ha ha" funny but as "what a coincidence". So @nala, I get your points and have no issue with your opinion. All any of us can do is wait to see what happens in our respective areas and respond as best we can. What I'm surprised at is that you were being uncharacteristically unkind to arkieb1. Both of you can be correct even if your opinions are polar opposite.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think personally a positive outlook is very important
If one thinks a bad thing will happen to them it usually does

My other half has a compromised immune system and he is a not overly old 67 so im a little concerned but im not rushing out buying masks and running the supermarkets dry

im trying really hard to get out of the habit of touching my face and hair and concentrating on good handwashing practice

the way the shearmarket reacts is total bull s***

If you can get masks, you will want to. Even the crappy wood working masks are out of stock here.

@TooPatient I have to go to BJ's tomorrow as I need to stock up on my regular stuff (tp, paper towels, coffee) I'm not looking forward to the trip, but I will go early while church service is ongoing. as its usually the least busiest time (my BJ's is next door to a mega church...) after that, won't step foot in one for at least another month...lets hope!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is not why the stock market took a shit. It took a shit because the virus is affecting global trade and travel. The virus crippled large swaths of Chinese manufacturing, leading to shortages of goods/products US companies depend on, especially in the tech industry. It's all about the money.

"It's funny" is a figure of speech, not meant has a "ha ha" funny but as "what a coincidence". So @nala, I get your points and have no issue with your opinion. All any of us can do is wait to see what happens in our respective areas and respond as best we can. What I'm surprised at is that you were being uncharacteristically unkind to arkieb1. Both of you can be correct even if your opinions are polar opposite.
Go back and read my posts to see who started being unkind...she literally said she would be banned for telling me how she really feels about me.... if you want to nanny net, go deal with her.
and yes, panic can lead to stock market taking a shit bc.. thanks to unfounded fears all of what you mentioned happens. People cancel travel over what? Mild symptoms of the flu? They withdraw their investments for fear that apocalypse is coming. Don’t say the two aren’t connected. The more the media dwells on doom and gloom, the more people freak out. Again. Over mild symptoms of the flu.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think I'm triggered by your words any more than you are mine. Yes I live with an immune system that has issues, as does or did a lot of my family members who are currently dead.... the flu and Corona, is a very real threat to some people.
Please put me on ignore as well, a happy solution for everyone. :lol-2::mrgreen2::P2

@Daisys and Diamonds - they have hand sanitiser and checklists but in Australia nursing homes are often places where a lot of the elderly die of the flu every year because they have a captive group of vulnerable people. In a lot of nursing homes they give them the flu vaccine, but the last two years the elderly that had them still got sick and some of them died.

No need to ignore you. I’m not the one who said I would be banned if i told you how I really feel about you—you said that.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stores are out of hand sanitizer, toilet paper, paper towels, pasta, bottled water, and most non-perishible stuff.

That's not happening here....yet. The only thing that will make me surly is if we run out of toilet paper. I might have to start burglarizing homes if that happens.
Screen Shot 2020-02-29 at 4.18.38 PM.png

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No need to ignore you. I’m not the one who said I would be banned if i told you how I really feel about you—you said that.

Wait a red hot minute, You wrote "And if I were you, I would want to be surrounded by people who have a more positive outlook than you do. So what if you have been saying it’s gonna be bad. So what? Do you pray that you will be proven right and that we all will die?"

How exactly wouldn't any normal person take that personally, yes if I said what I thought after reading that I'd probably get a PS timeout or ban. I'm attempting to show self restraint by not writing personal comments like you did back to you and you are still writing more stuff, trying to get a reaction....

You don't know anything about me, YES I live with an immune system that doesn't work as it should most of the time, my son when he was a baby got a whooping cough vaccine and nearly died because he is one of those one in a million people that (he has multiple allergies and immune issues too) reacted to it. My brother died when he was 6, from a staph infection that shouldn't kill normal people.... I've had multiple people in my family recently die from things as simple as the flu.

So yanno, it's actually not all sunshine and unicorn glittered farts for everyone when something like the Corona virus happens. Am I panicking - no, am I optimistic - I'd love to be, but the reality for me and lots of people out there is this could turn into something very bad. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, that's the way I'm looking at it.

When people say oh, it's all a media beat up, well maybe for healthy normal people it is, for the elderly and others we are looking at this seriously....

I'm sorry if I somehow posted the wrong stats, the good thing is it seems to be levelling out in China, the bad thing is that it seems to be spreading in certain areas of Europe that have not been as good at containing it.

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

P pop treey po 01D4CD66-9617-4D25-ADBA-32D842CF7808.jpeg
@Mamabean We have something in common regarding children. We will have to email sometime.

Regarding coronavirus, I am being watchful and cautious. I have seen scares for years over so many viruses...swine flu, bird flu, ebola, zika virus, etc. that amounted to virtually nothing. So I am skeptical of overeactions to these things until I see more evidence. The situation in China sounds like it is winding down (more recovering and fewer new cases) and that is very encouraging. They have horrific air pollution in the Wuhan area, so if anything, that death toll is likely on the high side and the people were more susceptible to getting it in the first place. I'm willing to bet the typical flu and pneumonia death rates in a winter are FAR higher than this virus.

I am taking the same precautions I do during flu season. I take extra vitamin C, Vitamin D, elderberry if I start feeling like I am getting a cold, and eat healthy foods. My Walmart has something like chlorox wipes at the entry so you can clean your cart handle, and I always do that in the fall and winter months. I was suprised that everyone else entering around the time I did neglected to do that. I wash my hands and was glad I had read awhile back that hand sanitizer is not nearly as effective as washing hands well. I have felt like a cold was coming on three times since the fall began, and each time I have been able to knock it out pretty much within 24 hours because of the things I am doing to boost my immune system.

If it comes this way, we will stay home. I haven't stocked up on much because I have a fairly well stocked pantry and freezer. I saw no evidence of shortage or empty shelves yesterday at the two stores I visited. I still think I have plenty of time to buy extra since we are in an area that is probably lower risk than some others. I hope this turns out to be much milder than they are suggesting, but regardless, I certainly hope and pray for everyone to stay safe and well!

(ohhh, and I stay far from doctors offices and hospitals in the winter unless there is a dire emergency!)

@diamondseeker2006 That would be great! If you look me up on LT you can see my email.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean Thats some pie I could get into right about now :kiss2:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh in Florida they said there are 4 possible cases but they're being looked into. Still nothing official.

This is what I'm worried about... and yes well..Florida. *shrugs*

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you can get masks, you will want to. Even the crappy wood working masks are out of stock here.

@TooPatient I have to go to BJ's tomorrow as I need to stock up on my regular stuff (tp, paper towels, coffee) I'm not looking forward to the trip, but I will go early while church service is ongoing. as its usually the least busiest time (my BJ's is next door to a mega church...) after that, won't step foot in one for at least another month...lets hope!

I just this moment read the ministry of health said we don't need to so im not wasting my money
We are not a high population density country like China
It sounds like dust masks are indeed a waste of time but alot of other types of masks probably are too

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results