shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you Pretty?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ice-queen

Shiny_Rock
I've enjoyed reading all the responses...this is an interesting topic

The way I feel about my looks varies by day...When I'm wearing no/little makeup and my hair isn't done, I tend to feel rather unattractive. I don't notice any attention from guys (not that it is my goal), and I feel like I blend in. When I'm all done up with makeup, hair, and a cute outfit...it's a different story. I feel very pretty and can definitely turn a few heads
3.gif

When I do get all done up to go out, I hear "hot" quite often, but not "pretty." While it does boost my ego to be called "hot", I would rather hear "pretty." I have only been called pretty a few times in my life (by someone other than my mom!), and I can remember the exact situations and how good it felt. It's just so much more flattering to me than hot or cute.

Unfortunately, I think that my opinion of my looks is way too dependent on how other people see me. When I notice a guy checking me out or I get a compliment, I feel amazing and so confident. But the rest of the time, I feel kinda blah about the way I look. I also tend to feel less attractive when surrounded by very attractive people...I could literally leave my house to go out for the evening feeling like the sexiest thing around, but if I then walk into a bar with a bunch of gorgeous girls, I immediately feel worse about myself. Hard to admit but it's true...

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
I also think what we find as pretty can change over time. This thread reminded me of my first day in my college dorms. I made friends with my friend K and we were in her room when her roommate walks in for the first time, C. Well we both were dumb struck and later agreed C was GORGEOUS! She just seemed cool and was together and she was super nice and we knew she was going to be the hot one. Well now 6 years later I looked back at pictures and see her and think- you know she actually had on way too much makeup and her face was just weird. Still striking- but now I don''t see her as Gorgeous and all that, just interesting looking. I think a lot of it had to do with being 17 at the time and insecure, but my friend K who is constantly down on herself is still stunning IMO.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Jumping in a little late, but I would consider myself pretty or attractive most of the time. When I first wake up--not so much, although my FI tries to argue otherwise. As long as my skin looks good and my hair isn''t a disaster, I tend to feel relatively confident about my looks; however, if my skin is breaking out (which it does) or my hair is a mess, I cross pretty easily over to the plain/ugly realm. All in all, I try to go out thinking I look pretty almost every day, and I like the wave of confidence I get to ride the rest of the day when I start out thinking that way. Maybe looking pretty + smile + confidence = hot mama
2.gif

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/18/2009 2:19:14 AM
Author: musey
Date: 5/18/2009 1:05:44 AM

Author: doodle

I happen to think I''m the hotness, and I tell myself so every day. ::sashays into the sunset::

You should''ve left it at that, I love this response!
9.gif

I aim to amuse!
9.gif

Really though, I''m pretty shocked at the answers to this question. I''m literally at least 70 pounds overweight (and I''m 5''2"!), I have crooked teeth, am PASTY white with some serious freckles, and my hair is in a huge tangle on top of my head MOST of the time, and I think I have a higher opinion of myself than many on here who I have seen and know to be extremely attractive. I just figure I am what I am, and that happens to be the shiznit. And this time, I AM serious.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2009 10:28:08 AM
Author: Tacori E-ring

Date: 5/17/2009 12:52:19 AM
Author: Gypsy
I used to be. Not anymore though.

That''s how I feel too! I felt pretty until I got pregnant. They say girls ''steal'' your beauty. I was hoping I would get it back by now
20.gif
Aw Tacori, I''ve seen pics and would not agree!! But just to commiserate, when I was preggo a guy who was working on our house asked if I was having a girl (one of the few who guessed right). I was like "YES, how did you know???". He said that I looked "very nice but that girls steal beauty from the moms, and .." then he kind of tried to back track. Thanks a lot buddy. So obviously I must not have looked too great back then (even though I thought I did!). I def have let myself go a bit in terms of putting myself together each and every day. Now I just try to look presentable...but between work, commute and baby, it''s just not a priority.

To answer the original question, I don''t consider myself pretty. I think I can put myself together and look attractive, but I''m not a natural. I am naturally slender looking and petite, so that helps..but still takes work! Doesn''t help that I live in NYC where everyone is into maintenance no matter the cost, but on the other hand it keeps everyone on their toes..

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been thinking about this question a lot this weekend.

I think I''m kind of cute. Sometimes I feel like I look like an alien because I think my facial features are kind of weird. Other times I feel like I''m the hottest thing to ever walk the Earth. But mostly I settle on kind of cute.

However, I think so much of attractiveness and who''s "pretty" and "beautiful" or whatever words you want to use has a lot to do with confidence and happiness. I think I''m much more attractive now than I was 5 years ago (despite terrible skin and an extra 25-30 pounds) because I''m happier and more confident. When I''m out with friends I never lack for male attention. I flirt, I joke, I get hit on. I talk to people, and I''m happy and I honestly believe it''s the happiness that makes me appealing. People want to be around happy people, and happiness MAKES you pretty.

But do I think I''m actually pretty? If I could fix my smile, yes, I think I''d be pretty. But I hate my smile and it basically ruins the way I feel about my looks. So I think I''m pretty when I keep my mouth shut.
2.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Janine, you are sweet! Thank you. I cannot believe someone TOLD you that! I hope he felt really bad about that. No matter the price having a girl is totally worth it. I LOVE having a daughter
2.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Man. I must be surrounded by women with low self-esteem in my life. We regularly discuss how often we cry before going out because we just don''t feel attractive. Sometimes I won''t even leave the house because of it.

I admire you ladies who feel confident in yourselves despite whatever tiny flaws you might have. I hope to some day be that confident.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2009 10:00:59 AM
Author: Haven
I think someone is pretty when she has a pleasant combination of features. I think of pretty as being an unremarkable look, something that is pleasant to see but not striking in any way, and there are a lot of pretty people out there, in my opinion. (e.g Allyson Hannigan)

I think someone is cute when she has a young-looking, attractive face. Cute is more remarkable, because I think cute is much less common than pretty. (e.g. Christina Ricci)

I think someone is beautiful when her features are striking, and for whatever reason, you want to keep on looking at her. Beautiful is really remarkable, and I think it''s rare. (e.g. Eva Mendes)

I think I''m pretty--I don''t think I have an unpleasant face, but there''s nothing striking about my appearance, either. I think I''m right at that average place where I don''t get noticed for being either good-looking or bad-looking.

ETA: I have to say, of all the pictures I''ve seen on PS I think we have a really remarkable looking group of people on here. I often gasp and say ''Oh my gosh! She''s gorgeous!'' when I''m looking at wedding pictures, or when we had that ''introduce yourself'' thread.
Errrr, i think your stunning and striking!

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock

That''s how I feel too! I felt pretty until I got pregnant. They say girls ''steal'' your beauty. I was hoping I would get it back by now
20.gif

Tisk- You and Gypsy are both beautiful!
35.gif

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2009 2:29:21 PM
Author: bee*

Date: 5/17/2009 6:57:10 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 5/17/2009 1:28:07 AM

Author: strmrdr

storm is pretty fugly

Sorry pal, I have to disagree strongly with you there!

me too, I''ve seen your photo on here and I have to disagree also.

As for me, I don''t think that I''m pretty. There are days when I think that I look nice but most of the time I wish I looked better!

23.gif
38.gif
Your are very pretty! In fact in my 7 years here I don''t think I have seen an unattractive person- at least not visually lol
9.gif

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2009 11:34:24 PM
Author: beau13

20.gif
Thank GOD I had boys!
31.gif
Umm, Beau is this a backhanded comment or ill translated sarcasm? Interesting, I haven''t heard the girls steal your beauty theory... *runs to read up on topic*

Steel

Ideal_Rock
On perceptions of beauty. I find that if I find a person''s personality ugly then no matter how evenly proportioned they are they will always appear ugly to me. Same in reverse for a plain/unattractive nice person.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2009 10:41:56 AM
Author: iwannaprettyone

I think someone is pretty when she has a pleasant combination of features. I think of pretty as being an unremarkable look, something that is pleasant to see but not striking in any way, and there are a lot of pretty people out there, in my opinion. (e.g Allyson Hannigan)

I think someone is cute when she has a young-looking, attractive face. Cute is more remarkable, because I think cute is much less common than pretty. (e.g. Christina Ricci)

I think someone is beautiful when her features are striking, and for whatever reason, you want to keep on looking at her. Beautiful is really remarkable, and I think it''s rare. (e.g. Eva Mendes)

I think I''m pretty--I don''t think I have an unpleasant face, but there''s nothing striking about my appearance, either. I think I''m right at that average place where I don''t get noticed for being either good-looking or bad-looking.

ETA: I have to say, of all the pictures I''ve seen on PS I think we have a really remarkable looking group of people on here. I often gasp and say ''Oh my gosh! She''s gorgeous!'' when I''m looking at wedding pictures, or when we had that ''introduce yourself'' thread.
Errrr, i think your stunning and striking!
I agree, with you Haven.

It is funny, because to me, I''ve thought how beautiful all you women are. No smoke. I''ve thought, wow, what beautiful people we''ve got here on PS. Sometimes I feel not so pretty... but I must have something wrong with me, I can''t help but look in a mirror everytime I pass, and honestly, if walking past reflective glass I have a hard time not looking at my reflection... I''ve even said dang, I LOOK GOOOOOD TODAY, in the middle of a convo, to which my friend''s have commented
20.gif
were you even listening to me?!? Of course I was... but dang... I''m not like as bad as Narcissus... but I just can''t help it... it must be a personal defect.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/16/2009 10:19:21 PM
Author: DivaDiamond007

I''d also describe myself as rather plain. I don''t buy clothing too often and wouldn''t say that I''m very fashionable - I''m much more into comfort and am a jeans-and-t-shirt type of gal.
This is how I feel. I blend in. And I dress for function and comfort - not ugly, but only wear heels to important meetings at work, etc. Basically never dress up to go out. But I''m sure I could buy more clothes (= spend more $
14.gif
) and look/feel better.

I could wear more makeup daily, but it''s not worth it to sit at my desk all day. I''d love to learn how to do up my makeup for dates and events, though. I just haven''t made the effort to learn, and spend the money to get the right stuff.

My hair, in addition to my clothes, is what makes me feel plain. I''m growing it out for my wedding. But I''ve stopped going to my current hair stylist b/c I don''t think she cuts it well. I think I need someone more up-to-date, but I can''t bring myself to spend loads of $ on the high end ones. I''ve always had a very plain style, but my hair is stubborn no matter how I style it. I really wish I could find someone I can go to who can just look at me, like Nick does on What Not To Wear, and tell me what style would look best on me. I''d totally do it if I knew it''d turn out well, b/c I think I''d love my hair then. I''ve always wanted to love my hair - never have.
39.gif

I don''t have low self esteem. I just rarely feel like spending all the money and time it takes to feel truly "pretty." I''m only told I''m pretty by FI, and by my parents, but that''s usually when I''m fixed up and put together.
3.gif

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock

And I think this is a great description of pretty vs. beautiful. (Externally speaking, that is.) I think many people can have features played up by makeup, and then they''d be considered very attractive or "beautiful." But I think truly beautiful people are quite rare - the ones who are attractive no matter what, who don''t need much makeup every, and who are very blessed with striking features.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2009 1:05:44 AM
Author: doodle

I happen to think I''m the hotness, and I tell myself so every day. ::sashays into the sunset::
Gah!! HAHAHAHAHA I snorted out loud at this!! Hehe you so funny.
9.gif
I pictured you snapping your fingers as you turned around to walk away.

Like musey said, I do like to play up what I have been given - I don''t feel ugly by any means, and I''m very blessed with what I do have. But I just don''t feel like I''m striking. So, I highlight the assets. When I do put some effort into it, I usually feel pretty and that the effort is worth it. But I think my clothes and hair are what I get tripped up on, because it usually costs me a lot of money I really don''t have to find clothes that truly fit, and to actually find someone who works well with my hair (still working on that part).

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2009 10:46:56 AM

20.gif
Thank GOD I had boys!
31.gif

Umm, Beau is this a backhanded comment or ill translated sarcasm? Interesting, I haven''t heard the girls steal your beauty theory... *runs to read up on topic*

I hadn''t heard that girls steal your beauty theory either. I had 2 so I must be in real trouble. I did have one boy as my last so will that help bring any of it back
9.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2009 1:34:07 PM
Author: mrssalvo

20.gif
Thank GOD I had boys!
31.gif

I hadn''t heard that girls steal your beauty theory either. I had 2 so I must be in real trouble. I did have one boy as my last so will that help bring any of it back
9.gif

Well it is an old wives tale but it seems to be common knowledge in the south. I am sure it is not permanent so none of us need to worry! Besides I would be SO sad to NOT have a daughter and would never trade her for anything. Even a perfect figure.
2.gif

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Wow I too am very surprised about how people view themselves, I can''t imagine feeling that bad about my looks. I think there were a few years I was pretty funny looking in elementary school, but now I think I''m pretty. I have a pretty face, a nice thin body, just okay hair, but I always wear nice clothes so I think it helps compensate. Yes I get told I''m pretty all the time but I think a major reason is how I carry myself, knowing I''m wearing a good outfit makes me feel very confidant and I think that radiates.

Aloros

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/17/2009 8:05:42 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
Meh. Average. Not one way or another. I have had days or events where I have felt truly beautiful or glamorous.. with or without make up..
1.gif
My husband thinks I''m beautiful.. I really think if you''re feeling it inside it shows outside.
SDL, get OUT! You are beautiful. You practically glow in your photographs.

I feel pretty at this stage in my life. I grew up a very very very awkward teenager (big glasses, braces, bad haircut...the works) and even had a classmate tell me I was ugly. I held on to that for a very long time. The first time a guy asked me out, I thought it was a prank!

I think I grew out of it though.
1.gif

I get told that I am pretty a lot by strangers, and I have learned to accept the compliment gracefully. Most days I feel pretty. Some days I just roll out of bed, throw on the first clothes I see, and just want to go through the day unnoticed. It really helps to have a handsome man (my fiance, in this case) telling you how beautiful he thinks you look every day.
25.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock

That's how I feel too! I felt pretty until I got pregnant. They say girls 'steal' your beauty. I was hoping I would get it back by now
20.gif
Thank GOD I had boys!
31.gif
Umm, Beau is this a backhanded comment or ill translated sarcasm? Interesting, I haven't heard the girls steal your beauty theory... *runs to read up on topic*
Umm..it was just a statement, don't over analyze IWPO! I've never heard that before, that "girls steal your beauty", so I was just SAYING..if that is the case, I'm glad I had two boys, and was able to sustain my looks!
28.gif

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Pretty-no.
I''ve always been called cute, mostly coz I''m short. I don''t think I''ve ever been called pretty. When I think of girls who are pretty, I nowhere meet their level of beauty.

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm... I consider myself attractive, but I wouldn't call myself pretty.

What's funny is that throughout my life, my closest friends have always been women who are very, very pretty. And for a long time, I was "the funny one" in my circle of friends... or the one who was always "one of the guys." So I definitely went through a period of time where I sort of brainwashed myself into thinking I wasn't attractive (in the physical sense), mainly b/c that wasn't really my role. I was never "the pretty one."

Over the last five years or so, however, I started feeling much more confident in my looks.

With all that said, though, I still wouldn't call myself pretty. I think my features aren't feminine enough (I have been told I look like my dad, so this is possibly where I get this idea from), and I think my eyes are too small. But I like my teeth and smile, and I do love my hair. And I think I take care of myself pretty well. So I'd say I'm attractive.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd say I'm more cute/adorable than pretty. I get called "cute" a lot, probably because I'm relatively short, asian, chubby cheeks, and like to make faces at people.

Hehe, that being said, how confident I feel rarely correlates to how pretty I feel. I never feel ugly, but I rarely feel pretty either. Most of the time I just feel happy, confident and comfortable to be my slightly snarky, silly, whimsy-loving self. I think I'm generally like-able and gregarious, and even if people rarely call me pretty, I tend to have positive interactions with strangers that involve smiles on both sides.
21.gif
And that makes me feel happy and confident, even if I'm not physically attractive in a traditional sense. I think people like to be pretty because they think it makes them more likeable (which is true according to a lot of psych studies), so in a way it's a means to an end. But I think I achieve the "end" of being enjoyable company fairly well, with or without being pretty, which makes me feel happy with myself.

To be honest, I'd much rather be able to make people laugh and smile than to wow them with my beauty. But maybe that's just because I love to laugh myself!

Here is one of my favorite pictures of myself
9.gif
Making what my friends like to call my "chipmunk" face.

chipmunk.JPG

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2009 1:44:43 PM

Date: 5/18/2009 1:34:07 PM
Author: mrssalvo

20.gif
Thank GOD I had boys!
31.gif

9.gif

Well it is an old wives tale but it seems to be common knowledge in the south. I am sure it is not permanent so none of us need to worry! Besides I would be SO sad to NOT have a daughter and would never trade her for anything. Even a perfect figure.
2.gif
Plus when the figure goes and you''re in a nursing home, it''s usually the daughters who cool your forehead and change your depends.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Tgal~You crack me up! Change our depends....for everything I''ve done for that child she better!
5.gif

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
I generally feel pretty good about myself. I feel pretty when I make a little extra effort in taking care of myself, like giving myself a mini facial at night, putting on light make up and a splash of perfume before leaving home... etc.

I do not feel pretty when I am under the weather, or am upset about something/someone. I think how pretty I feel is directly correlated with how content I feel. Luckily most of the time I see bright sides to everything.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Hmm ... interesting question. I guess that I would be considered somewhat traditionally attractive (sometimes I get compared to Kate Beckinsale), because I modeled briefly as a teenager, but it''s funny, because I have a lot more confidence now than I did then, even though I''m sure I was probably prettier back then. I think part of it is being in my 30s and being comfortable and proud in my body. I also have a wide variety of "tastes" in beauty - I see beauty in women of all ages from all over the world, so there isn''t just one "type" that I consider pretty. I was fortunate that I was raised to feel very confident, and my parents always emphasized my intellect and education over looks. I never really considered myself attractive until I was 17 and approached to model.

The one time in my life that I felt rather unattractive was right after having my son. I used to get a lot of male attention, and would get approached on a fairly regular basis. I remember feeling really down a few motnhs after I had my son, and I was crying to my husband that I must be unattrative now because no one was hitting on me anymore. My husband replied, "Honey, the reason that men don''t approach you anymore is because you always have a baby with you, not because you''re not as pretty"
emembarrassed.gif
Even though I know that I look around and see teenage girls that are prettier than me, I feel OK, because even though I am older now, I had my "time," and since then, I have had a lifetime full of accomplishments, and a wonderful husband and son. To me, that is a lot more fulfilling than being the prettiest girl in the room.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I honestly do not even know! I do not think I''m the stereotypical "cute," however, men do look at me. Maybe because they think I''m freakish! lol

One thing I''m very aware of is being sure to wear colors of clothes/makeup that compliment my skin tone and I know that helps a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results