shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you Pretty?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2009 7:20:16 AM
Author: sba771
[ . . . ] I don''t feel secure with my looks and feel VERY insecure around other women and constantly see everyone else as much prettier, if that makes sense [ . . . ]

I often feel the same way, sba. Whenever we go out I''m struck by just how pretty everyone is. I see so many pretty and beautiful women, it''s sometimes overwhelming.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2009 12:52:19 AM
Author: Gypsy
I used to be. Not anymore though.

That''s how I feel too! I felt pretty until I got pregnant. They say girls "steal" your beauty. I was hoping I would get it back by now
20.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2009 10:00:59 AM
Author: Haven

I think I''m pretty--I don''t think I have an unpleasant face, but there''s nothing striking about my appearance, either. I think I''m right at that average place where I don''t get noticed for being either good-looking or bad-looking.
And this is where we get to the eye of the beholder thing, because having seen pictures your face stands out to me. (Not to turn this into a compliment fest or anything, just wanted to point out that what we see in ourselves is not necessarily what others see in us.)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also think true beauty is ageless, for example Grace Kelly was one of the most exquisitely beautiful women alive in her heydey, but even when she aged she was still beautiful. '' Prettiness'' fades but beauty withstands time.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2009 10:50:23 AM
Author: Lorelei
I also think true beauty is ageless, for example Grace Kelly was one of the most exquisitely beautiful women alive in her heydey, but even when she aged she was still beautiful. ' Prettiness' fades but beauty withstands time.
I agree, I think Jaclyn Smith is that way; she is so beautiful at any age.

eta: Another one and even more so because of her humanitarian efforts which made her even more gorgeous was Audrey Hepburn for me. I do think Grace Kelly is gorgeous!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/17/2009 10:53:11 AM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 5/17/2009 10:50:23 AM
I also think true beauty is ageless, for example Grace Kelly was one of the most exquisitely beautiful women alive in her heydey, but even when she aged she was still beautiful. '' Prettiness'' fades but beauty withstands time.
I agree, I think Jaclyn Smith is that way; she is so beautiful at any age.
I agree Skip, she looks great!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I consider myself one of the plainest people to ever exist. There is not one feature that I have that I would call pretty. Everything is just fine. I have good hair days, or great outfits, etc. I usually feel good about myself, but I''ve always been aware that cuteness passed me by.

My sisters are both very pretty and I often feel the ugly duckling in family pics. But, I usually have the biggest smile so I hope that stands for something.

There is a lady in her 70''s that lives down the street from me. She radiates beauty every time I see her. I wish I could exude that loveliness.

DH thinks I''m beautiful and I think he''s full of it. JT (my 3 yr old) has actually gasped in awe when I get dressed up and that''s all I need!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2009 10:28:08 AM
Author: Tacori E-ring

That''s how I feel too! I felt pretty until I got pregnant. They say girls ''steal'' your beauty. I was hoping I would get it back by now
20.gif

You both crack me up. Both of you are adorable, what are you talking about!!!!
38.gif

Burk

Ideal_Rock
I think someone is pretty when she has a pleasant combination of features. I think of pretty as being an unremarkable look, something that is pleasant to see but not striking in any way, and there are a lot of pretty people out there, in my opinion. (e.g Allyson Hannigan)

I think someone is cute when she has a young-looking, attractive face. Cute is more remarkable, because I think cute is much less common than pretty. (e.g. Christina Ricci)

I think someone is beautiful when her features are striking, and for whatever reason, you want to keep on looking at her. Beautiful is really remarkable, and I think it''s rare. (e.g. Eva Mendes)

I think I''m pretty--I don''t think I have an unpleasant face, but there''s nothing striking about my appearance, either. I think I''m right at that average place where I don''t get noticed for being either good-looking or bad-looking.

ETA: I have to say, of all the pictures I''ve seen on PS I think we have a really remarkable looking group of people on here. I often gasp and say ''Oh my gosh! She''s gorgeous!'' when I''m looking at wedding pictures, or when we had that ''introduce yourself'' thread.

I think that these are good descriptions of the difference in terms. I also think, though, that these terms are a matter of personal taste and preference. No one person will be considered "pretty" by everyone and no one person will be considered "beautiful" by everyone. It''s all in the eye of the beholder. For example, I do not think Christina Ricca is cute at all.
2.gif

Attractiveness has always been interesting to me. There are people I would not consider attractive, but they are married or in a relationship so obviously someone sees them as attractive. You know?

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2009 6:57:10 AM
Date: 5/17/2009 1:28:07 AM

Author: strmrdr

storm is pretty fugly

Sorry pal, I have to disagree strongly with you there!

me too, I''ve seen your photo on here and I have to disagree also.

As for me, I don''t think that I''m pretty. There are days when I think that I look nice but most of the time I wish I looked better!

sbde

Brilliant_Rock
i never thought so growing up, but have been called pretty/beautiful by enough people (strangers and ppl i know) to start believing it somewhat, so i will say yes.

it''s amazing what +ve words from others can do to your own perception!!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I''m a hawttie
emrose.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
No, I don''t think I am pretty. Despite other people (besides my husband) telling me that I am! I just don''t believe them
9.gif
I DO have striking green eyes though, and those I do think are pretty.

It is kind of sad really; I know that psers are a gorgeous group of ladies, and barely any of us think we are pretty!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Burk--I agree that tastes vary, definitely. However, have you seen any of the Discovery Channel programs on the science of beauty? They're very interesting--researchers have found that there are features people find to be universally beautiful, such as symmetry, and hip-to-waist ratios. It's actually pretty cool stuff.

sbde--Your post brings up a really interesting question, which is: How much does feedback from others affect your self-perception?
Just last night I was out with some friends who I happen to work with, and they told me that another friend and coworker of ours has a big fat crush on me. Now, this guy with the crush is a gorgeous 25-year-old who is totally out of my league. He's SO FAR out of my league it's almost ridiculous that he would even notice me, which I said when they told me this nonsense. We decided he must have the crush because I'm extremely confident, especially at work, and *that's* what he finds attractive.
Anyway, the fact that this really gorgeous guy would have an innocent crush on little old me *did* make me feel really pretty for the night, so his perception *did* affect my own self-perception, it did. I'm not ashamed to admit it.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2009 2:51:41 PM
Burk--I agree that tastes vary, definitely. However, have you seen any of the Discovery Channel programs on the science of beauty? They''re very interesting--researchers have found that there are features people find to be universally beautiful, such as symmetry, and hip-to-waist ratios. It''s actually pretty cool stuff.

haven- Just wanted to say that I have watched those shows on Discovery and thought they were so interesting! We''re so biologically programmed; pretty cool!

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
I certainly do not think I am pretty. Some people keep hammering it home to me that I am, such as my FI, my mum, HIS mum and the teacher I work alongside. I don''t believe any of them though.

I think I am programmed to not be able to take a compliment.

The only feature of mine I class as pretty are my green eyes. Two people commented on them in the past day over in my wedding ring photoshoot thread. I graciously thanked them for their kindness, but can''t bring myself to believe them though. I am terrible.

I think I am just average looking, neither pretty or otherwise. I get so envious of everyone who I class as pretty. My face isn''t symmetrical, I hate my mouth, I hate my double chin...I have issues!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awww, merry, I''m sure they mean the compliments they''re giving to you.
It''s too bad that we can''t often see the beauty that others see in us.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought this thread would be more fun but instead I''m just shocked that so many of my fellow PSers don''t think they''re pretty! Also, I don''t believe you all-I don''t think I''ve ever seen an unattractive PSer!
3.gif

P.S. I think I''m pretty!
9.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I think someone is pretty when she has a pleasant combination of features. I think of pretty as being an unremarkable look, something that is pleasant to see but not striking in any way, and there are a lot of pretty people out there, in my opinion. (e.g Allyson Hannigan)

I think someone is cute when she has a young-looking, attractive face. Cute is more remarkable, because I think cute is much less common than pretty. (e.g. Christina Ricci)

I think someone is beautiful when her features are striking, and for whatever reason, you want to keep on looking at her. Beautiful is really remarkable, and I think it''s rare. (e.g. Eva Mendes)

ETA: I have to say, of all the pictures I''ve seen on PS I think we have a really remarkable looking group of people on here. I often gasp and say ''Oh my gosh! She''s gorgeous!'' when I''m looking at wedding pictures, or when we had that ''introduce yourself'' thread.

I couldnt have explained it better myself, Haven!!! I agree with you totally. And the same thing for me- I think Im average looking...Not great, but not bad either!!!!!!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Before I had kids, I thought I was very pretty. I''m hoping at some point to lose some weight and feel pretty again. Several years ago I was in my cousins wedding w/a woman I now work with...she mentioned at work one day she''d found the old wedding pictures..she''s like "Holy crap you were f-ing hot!" You just knew she wanted to add "what happened?" to the end of her sentence. I''m pretty on the inside tho, I think. My husband loves me no matter what, and he always thinks I''m pretty.

laine

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/17/2009 7:47:55 PM
Author: thing2of2
I thought this thread would be more fun but instead I''m just shocked that so many of my fellow PSers don''t think they''re pretty! Also, I don''t believe you all-I don''t think I''ve ever seen an unattractive PSer!
3.gif

P.S. I think I''m pretty!
9.gif

Ditto this! And I think I''m pretty but I know I''m not beautiful. (great descriptions Haven!)

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I''ll buck the trend & say "yes"
3.gif
... I''m fat ... but I''m pretty. Not gorgeous ... not beautiful ... but, yeah, kinda pretty. At least I always got the "such a pretty face" nonsense people always tell us chubettes. It has nothing to do with me though ... my mom was a knockout in her day (think Kathleen Turner meets Grace Kelly) & all my sisters are "pretty" too in their own way & they''re thin so probably verging on gorgeous territory. Gah. Good bone structure, nice hair, nice smiles, symmetrical features, peaches & cream skin, nice figures (except for me! well -- i have a nice figure under quite a bit of padding
3.gif
).

Surprised not many folks will claim "pretty" ... it just shows how conditioned ladies are to see their faults rather than their assets.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Very Interesting replies.

Thanks for posting everyone.

I was thinking about this question because we have a resident at work who I think is beautiful. She just has a beautiful face, not talking about her body, but she seems to be well proportioned although in scrubs, everyone looks great.

Anyway, I always thought she must be very sexy out of work, she has these very pouty lips and one day a male nurse commented that she was beautiful and I agreed with him and he said, Yeah, she has Angelina Jolie lips....mmmm.

So, I was talking to another nurse who I am good friends with and asked her if she thought the same resident was pretty and she said no way, she looks like she needs Chapstick all the time.

This made me laugh as I realize that everyone has a different perception of what they think is attractive/pretty/etc.

I have always been told I am pretty, but I always don''t feel like I am. I think my hair is too thin, my eyes are too brown, my teeth are not perfect, I get zits, etc. But I always seem to get comments that make me think others see me as pretty.

One day at work this guy ( a resident) was talking in Spanish to another guy (a housekeeper) about me. They didn''t know I actually understand some Spanish. So this resident was telling the other guy how beautiful he thought I was and "if he had the power he would make my husband divorce me...". Then he started saying that whenever he is around me he gets heart palpations and he can''t speak. He said a bunch of other things which I won''t disclose, but you get the picture.

I thought maybe I misunderstood some of what he said, but later on the housekeeper told me what he said as well.

I was completely shocked by this because I don''t think I am THAT pretty and he knows I just had a baby and have three altogether.

It kind of creeps me out to be around him now as I am afraid he might touch me, but at the same time, if he gets palpations when he is around me, maybe touching my arm would send him into seizures. LOL, not really, but the thought did occur.....
23.gif

Anyway, so that''s why I posted.

In general, when I see someone who I think is plain, and I have never seen anyone who I thought was really ugly, even when they have the greatest personality in the world, the nicest, friendliest, kindest, they still look plain to me....

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think many people have a difficult time accepting compliments. I know I am one of them. I used to try to talk them out of it (which is a common reaction) but now I simply say "thank you" and think they are crazy in my head
3.gif
I agree it is easier to see my faults than my good qualities. I wouldn't even know what to say if someone asked me what my best feature is. That's kinda sad but I am just being honest. I think I am very normal looking. I seem to always remind people of their sister/daughter/cousin/friend.

ETA: Butterfly, I HAVE seen several pictures of you and I hate to break it to you but you aren't pretty. You are STUNNING
2.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2009 9:40:45 PM

ETA: Butterfly, I HAVE seen several pictures of you and I hate to break it to you but you aren''t pretty. You are STUNNING
2.gif

I was thinking the same thing. I saw an actress on tv the other day that totally reminded me of butterfly, I can''t remember her name at the moment but will post it if I do.

I have days where I feel pretty and days I know I''m a "crazy women trying to get 3 kids out the door and to school on time mommy looking mess". My best friend in HS was gorgeous, she still is and all the boys always fell over themselves around her. I knew she was much prettier than me, but I don''t really think I''m plain, I''m too dramatic in my real life to be plain..lol.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2009 2:51:41 PM
Burk--I agree that tastes vary, definitely. However, have you seen any of the Discovery Channel programs on the science of beauty? They''re very interesting--researchers have found that there are features people find to be universally beautiful, such as symmetry, and hip-to-waist ratios. It''s actually pretty cool stuff.
Very interesting!! I''m going to have to find those programs. I find this subject to be fascinating!

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2009 10:28:08 AM

That''s how I feel too! I felt pretty until I got pregnant. They say girls ''steal'' your beauty. I was hoping I would get it back by now
20.gif
Thank GOD I had boys!
31.gif

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
I happen to think I''m the hotness, and I tell myself so every day. ::sashays into the sunset::

........okay, so that''s not actually true, but so few people owned it that i had to mock a little. I personally am adorable, and I get told this all the time. I''m 25 and still get handed a kiddie menu in restaurants on a regular basis, and I''ve had to show an ID before at a pg-13 movie after being asked whether my parents were with me!
20.gif

LOL, okay, so I have to add this because it took place while I was typing. I just told my DH about this thread, and the following conversation took place:

DH: I think you''re sexy.
ME: That''s because you''re a dirty told man. (he''s 9 years older than me, so I tease him about it all the time)
DH: You know it. It''s the freckles.

Guess beauty IS in the eye of the beholder!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2009 1:05:44 AM
Author: doodle
I happen to think I'm the hotness, and I tell myself so every day. ::sashays into the sunset::
You should've left it at that, I love this response!
9.gif

I think of myself as average (so, plain, I guess?). I look like what I look like, I don't think much about whether that's 'pretty' or not, beyond trying to do the best with what I've been given to work with!
2.gif
There are a lot of things about my appearance that are more important than prettiness to me... like uniqueness, comfortableness (my spell check thinks that's a word so I'm goin' with it!), interesting features, etc.

I dunno
shrug1.gif
that's a hard question to answer! Not like we're all gonna say "Yah I'm a knockout and people tell me everyday" - even if it were true. No one likes to sound like a showoff, after all.

Well... most people don't, anyway.

Samantha Red

Shiny_Rock
I don''t think I am pretty at all. I ''can'' look attractive when I am about 40lbs lighter. However as I am approaching my mid forties that is getting more difficult and my face is caving in too. I am hideous in photographs as my face is not at all symmetrical. I have pretty hair that is quite a nice colour, reddish, strawberry blonde, but that is my only saving grace I think.

My DH is very good looking and attracts stares in the street, luckily I feel quite secure in his love for me. He was burned really badly by a ''model'' before he and I got together and he discovered how important the inside of a person is compared to the outside.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results