shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you Pretty?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Just curious, do you consider yourself pretty? Do others perceive you as pretty? What constitutes someone being pretty as opposed to beautiful or plain? .................

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I have days where I think I look pretty, but most of the time I consider myself plain (in part because of how I dress and style my hair, I'm all about function). I think pretty is someone you'd think "That person is attractive" about and beautiful would cause you to look twice and say "Wow!"

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve been told I''m pretty on occasion, but I don''t really think of myself that way most of the time. In my head I''m a short, chubby asian girl who likes to kick butt!

Haha, I''ve also noticed that I feel prettier in the US than when I go back to Beijing (where I wear a sz XL, oy)

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
depending who you ask... DH says I"M GORGEOUS... but I beg to differ.. i''m just ehh so so.. and very still self conscious... maybe its because of that darn aunt back when I was 14 who stated bluntly that my sister was prettier than me
8.gif
(who says that?) and that totally has been sitting in my brain, can''t get rid of it, even though she has passed away... Speaking of blunt darn asians
9.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/16/2009 9:57:43 PM
Author: D&T
depending who you ask... DH says I''M GORGEOUS... but I beg to differ.. i''m just ehh so so.. and very still self conscious... maybe its because of that darn aunt back when I was 14 who stated bluntly that my sister was prettier than me
8.gif
(who says that?) and that totally has been sitting in my brain, can''t get rid of it, even though she has passed away... Speaking of blunt darn asians
9.gif

Haha! My aunts and relatives (and my parents) used to call me fat and chubby ALLLLL the time. Not in a mean way per se, it''d be like "aw, look at those chubby cheeks!" or they''d call me by nicknames like "chubby bunny". They''ve laid off recently, probably because I''ve slimmed down a bit. But yeah, I don''t know if it''s an asian thing, but everytime I go back there, the first comment I hear from anyone is either about how much weight I''ve gained or lost, haha. It''s made me totally desensitized to telling people how much I weigh.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/16/2009 10:02:55 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade

Date: 5/16/2009 9:57:43 PM
Author: D&T
depending who you ask... DH says I''M GORGEOUS... but I beg to differ.. i''m just ehh so so.. and very still self conscious... maybe its because of that darn aunt back when I was 14 who stated bluntly that my sister was prettier than me
8.gif
9.gif

Haha! My aunts and relatives (and my parents) used to call me fat and chubby ALLLLL the time. Not in a mean way per se, it''d be like ''aw, look at those chubby cheeks!'' or they''d call me by nicknames like ''chubby bunny''. They''ve laid off recently, probably because I''ve slimmed down a bit. But yeah, I don''t know if it''s an asian thing, but everytime I go back there, the first comment I hear from anyone is either about how much weight I''ve gained or lost, haha. It''s made me totally desensitized to telling people how much I weigh.
seriously... sorry butterfly slight threadjack.. but I mean don''t they know what a potential devasting effect their comments have on kids or preteens... I''m super conscious about it with my own kids and their cousins, I know what it feels like, and hope to not ever do that to any other kids in the family.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
My 10.5 month old son thinks I''m the prettiest person ever
2.gif

I think I was a lot prettier before my current hair disaster. It''s growing out slowly but surely though.

I''d also describe myself as rather plain. I don''t buy clothing too often and wouldn''t say that I''m very fashionable - I''m much more into comfort and am a jeans-and-t-shirt type of gal.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Depending on the day...
19.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, I don''t think I''m pretty. I know my FF thinks I''m pretty, but I don''t know if other people do. I don''t usually get asked out or hit on, that''s a pretty rare occasion.

I think when someone is plain, there is just nothing remarkable about them. They''re not pretty or ugly, just neutral.

Pretty or beautiful I would use to describe people the same way, but someone I barely know is "pretty" while someone I know quite well and think is pretty would be "beautiful".

Burk

Ideal_Rock
I think everyone is pretty to someone.

I feel like I have "ugly" days and "pretty" days. I no longer go out of the house without make-up because I just don''t feel attractive without it. My husband thinks I don''t need it. He is biased so I don''t count his vote!
2.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2009 12:05:35 AM
Author: elledizzy5

Pretty or beautiful I would use to describe people the same way, but someone I barely know is 'pretty' while someone I know quite well and think is pretty would be 'beautiful'.
that is how I feel about people too! I can meet someone who is pretty but then to get to know them and they have a good heart
emlove.gif
or just goodness in them then they are just gorgeous and it makes me puffy heat them more!
30.gif
Others who are attractive but then to get to know them and they are not kind then they lose all their looks and start to look ugly but I guess I am getting off topic. I agree everyone is pretty to someone
1.gif
Seriously though I have seen lots of pics on PS of people and everyone I have see is quite beautiful!!!
1.gif

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think plain is in the same line as pretty and beautiful. Because you can be plain but still be pretty or beautiful. I consider myself plain because I don''t use makeup daily and don''t dress up regularly. There are days when I feel pretty, but not always. Beautiful, IMO, is more stunning or special than pretty. Like I felt beautiful on my wedding day.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used to be. Not anymore though.

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
no, not pretty. not ugly either.
Plain, I guess.

I think what makes someone pretty is great features that are unique but always balanced and symetrical. I also think the care and keeping of oneself can really help make those average or plain girls like myself prettier.

Beauty I think is different. Pretty is appeasing to the eye and beauty is more based in the perception. IMO.

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
My hubby thinks so!

My looks used to matter to me, a LOT. But I''ve finally gotten to the point where I am comfortable with who I am, pretty or not. And if my wonderful husband thinks I''m beautiful, that''s all that counts.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2009 12:22:41 AM
Author: Skippy123
Date: 5/17/2009 12:05:35 AM

Author: elledizzy5

Pretty or beautiful I would use to describe people the same way, but someone I barely know is ''pretty'' while someone I know quite well and think is pretty would be ''beautiful''.
that is how I feel about people too! I can meet someone who is pretty but then to get to know them and they have a good heart
emlove.gif
or just goodness in them then they are just gorgeous and it makes me puffy heat them more!
30.gif
Others who are attractive but then to get to know them and they are not kind then they lose all their looks and start to look ugly but I guess I am getting off topic. I agree everyone is pretty to someone
1.gif
Seriously though I have seen lots of pics on PS of people and everyone I have see is quite beautiful!!!
1.gif

Very well said Skippy. I agree 100% I could not have said it better myself.
36.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
storm is pretty fugly

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2009 1:28:07 AM
Author: strmrdr
storm is pretty fugly

That is a terrible thing to say. No you are not and I saw your picture before too.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Am I pretty? Nope, not in the slightest.

I''m tremendously attractive (and very modest, to boot), but I''m a hawk-faced, deep-chested, curvy little woman in a time of remarkable inarticulateness and narrow-sightedness when it comes to beauty. In a more well-spoken age, I would have been called a handsome woman, but these days, that carries an intimation of androgyny that me and my 32D''s just can''t convincingly carry off.

"Pretty" carries some very specific images of fine-boned delicacy, frilliness, and femininity to me, but there are myriad other forms of beauty out there - I''m all about trying to name and acknowledge as many as possible. Awesome question, Butterfly!

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
I would never call myself pretty, but I get that I am "cute" a lot. I have really little teeth, and a round face, but I will admit I love my green eyes and I always do my hair, so I look put together a lot. My BF calls me pretty, but not really a lot of people.

I think it helps that I smile a lot, hence the "cute." I am also short, so I don''t really carry any weight well without showing it a lot, making me a little chunky ha. I like having a chest and butt though! But when I think of pretty, I also think of petite.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting poll. I''m not pretty. I don''t have a low self-esteem, I just recognize that I don''t have any striking features and I do have a few qualities that people find unattractive. I do feel pretty a lot though. When I am really put together I can be pretty for me. DH tells me I am and I allow myself to believe him. Other people rarely tell me I am.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/17/2009 1:28:07 AM
Author: strmrdr
storm is pretty fugly
Sorry pal, I have to disagree strongly with you there!

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
That is such a hard question. One of my MIL''s 4 year old students petted me and said I was very pretty and my FI says it all the time. I know from age 11-17 I was UGLY! My nose was awful, bad teeth until braces, no figure and just was a face only a mother could love. In fact my mom has now said she is happy I filled out as she was worried for a few years there.
3.gif
I think, like most women, I have pretty and ugly days. I don''t feel secure with my looks and feel VERY insecure around other women and constantly see everyone else as much prettier, if that makes sense. I will say I think I have a pretty smile and sometimes that gets me noticed- but I do not feel beautiful or stunning but I will point out to my FI or whoever when I think someone else is.

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
My idea of pretty is someone who has a childlike, symetrical face and when they smile it makes them look better, cute and they have a natural look that is always there regardless of what their hair is like or what clothes they wear.

Beautiful to me is someone that is extraordinary, someone who turns-your head if they were to walk by. They don''t have to be tall, slim or anything, its all about the face and the charisma and again don''t require makeup or anything to enhance their look.

Attractive to me is someone who isn''t either of the above but can look really good, for example, I don''t think Jennifer Aniston is pretty but I think she''s attractive, Hayden Panettiere is pretty whereas Salma Hayek is beautiful.

I often get, ''you have a pretty face''........which suggests shame about the rest
31.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think many are pretty but true beauty is rare and you definitely know when you see it. Of course it is all in the eye of the beholder!

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Pretty... I don''t think that word can really be used for someone on the wrong side of 40 like I am, but when I was young, yes, I was. I think I''m still considered fairly attractive. But beautiful, no not ever in my vainest moment.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2009 12:13:35 AM
Author: Burk
I think everyone is pretty to someone.

I feel like I have ''ugly'' days and ''pretty'' days. I no longer go out of the house without make-up because I just don''t feel attractive without it. My husband thinks I don''t need it. He is biased so I don''t count his vote!
2.gif

This is pretty much how I feel. I would say that when I put in the effort to put myself together, I feel attractive, although not necessarily pretty. Also, knowing I''ve put in the effort makes me feel more confident, which I think always makes people come across as more attractive. But without making, in junky clothes, I don''t feel pretty, although my dh thinks I am.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m definitely NOT pretty, and getting less and less pretty every day!
14.gif

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
There are some days I feel pretty, and some I feel very plain and not pretty at all. Usually when I get dressed up for something nice I feel pretty - and I actually did feel very pretty on our wedding day. DH tells me I''m beautiful all the time so I guess that''s what really counts, but I wish I could see what he sees all the time!
5.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think someone is pretty when she has a pleasant combination of features. I think of pretty as being an unremarkable look, something that is pleasant to see but not striking in any way, and there are a lot of pretty people out there, in my opinion. (e.g Allyson Hannigan)

I think someone is cute when she has a young-looking, attractive face. Cute is more remarkable, because I think cute is much less common than pretty. (e.g. Christina Ricci)

I think someone is beautiful when her features are striking, and for whatever reason, you want to keep on looking at her. Beautiful is really remarkable, and I think it's rare. (e.g. Eva Mendes)

I think I'm pretty--I don't think I have an unpleasant face, but there's nothing striking about my appearance, either. I think I'm right at that average place where I don't get noticed for being either good-looking or bad-looking.

ETA: I have to say, of all the pictures I've seen on PS I think we have a really remarkable looking group of people on here. I often gasp and say "Oh my gosh! She's gorgeous!" when I'm looking at wedding pictures, or when we had that 'introduce yourself' thread.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results