shape
carat
color
clarity

are you gonna watch the you know what tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1350493224|3287120 said:
it does not look good for the incumbent when the challenger is running neck to neck with only three weeks left.

I'm with you DF.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
HollyS|1350496158|3287156 said:
Yeah, yeah. We all have an opinion. And we're "entitled" to that opinion. Except, when you say that, you have to remember:

That would be the reason I get to state mine . . . not just listen to yours. I get to have an opinion, too.

You say amazing, I say not. Not by a long shot.

And you will have to remember that I, and everyone else, can have/or state an opinion, without receiving an insulting response, just because it differs from yours. I understand the passion, but not the need for disdain.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lula|1350498553|3287176 said:
ruby59|1350496338|3287159 said:
To add to what Dancing Fire posted, I am the mother of 3 children, all around college age. My oldest graduated from college a few years ago and had to find work in another state and has to commute multiple hours daily because he could not find anything in our home state. My second is a junior in college, and I worry whether she will be able to find work in her field after graduating. And the youngest is not looking to major in what interests her, but what will get her a possible job with a living wage upon graduation. And yes, between the kids and my husband and I the loans are piling up. I heard nothing from Obama that would lead me to believe the next 4 years will be any better than the last 4.

The next four years won't be any better under a different administration. The problems are global and systemic, and until the issues with the banking system are addressed -- e.g., banks being allowed to slow the housing recovery by titrating the number of short sales they process and banks being allowed to carry foreclosed properties for full pre-crash value on their books; stock trades not being taxed, especially derivatives -- things will not improve. The man who would be king has his focus on Chinese and Indian markets, not the U.S. middle class. That's where the purchasing power is, as has been discussed for at least 18 months over on Rocky Talky, at least with regard to diamond sales. The American middle class is dead. I suggest, in all seriousness, that your children look for jobs abroad, in emerging markets. Argentina, Brazil, China, India. Our current president focused on health care reform over banking reform and regulation and is paying the price for it. Advise your children to learn another language and get the heck out of here.

You can read about the absolute incompetence and fraud going on in the banking industry in Shelia Bair's new book
http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...84c412-0731-11e2-afff-d6c7f20a83bf_story.html

This. And now that business effectively owns the legislative process (thank you SCOTUS and Citizen's United!), I don't see many substantive differences either, save on social issues - there the differences are quite stark. As for business, the big lie about businesses as saviour of the US is that they have any loyalty to the country that gave them birth, which should be pretty obvious isn't true, when business flees to emerging markets so it can avoid supporting that way of life and can pay scab wages to foreign workers with no protections. And it wouldn't matter one iota if the effective corporate tax rate was zero - if the returns are higher in China, capital will flee to China. Putative reasons aside, that is what has historically happened when an emerging economy finally matures, and now it's happening here. When the cries of "free trade" and the financialization of the economy (in lieu of making "stuff") begins, that's the beginning of the end, so to speak.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
hlmr|1350501113|3287202 said:
Yeah, yeah. We all have an opinion. And we're "entitled" to that opinion. Except, when you say that, you have to remember:

That would be the reason I get to state mine . . . not just listen to yours. I get to have an opinion, too.

And you will have to remember that I, and everyone else, can have/or state an opinion, without receiving an insulting response, just because it differs from yours. I understand the passion, but not the need for disdain.

I actually don't understand the passion. How can anyone have passion for Romney-bot? :cheeky:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, you can tell which candidate won by who is bitching about the moderator. Last time, the Dems complained about Lehrer-this time, the Repubs are complaining about Crowley. Win for Obama this time around!

Now for something we can all agree is hilarious, regardless of political affiliation:

383562_539853106044147_1108796255_n.jpg

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
LOL!!! That is perfect comic relief, thanks for posting it!! :cheeky:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2|1350503443|3287223 said:

I actually don't understand the passion. How can anyone have passion for Romney-bot? :cheeky:

I do and I'm actually quite passionate about this election. So while I'm on the other side of you... I respect your opinion and it's awesome we all get to show up at the polls, hopefully show our IDs, and vote our passion!

As a side note I think Mr. Romney is pretty fabulous. For a woman who has been working in the same industry for over 27 years and one traditionally run by men...I appreciate his respect of diversity, inclusion of women on his staff, and paid the same as the boys..., his business background and experience. The promise to become energy independent, create more jobs by not taxing small businesses and providing choices for my golden years, these things excite me. As for Foreign policy...I'm appalled at what has transpired since the attack on our Embassy, mortified that Hillary took the fall (I really like her) and disappointed in the way it all unfolded. We are smarter than this we should have anticipated and prepared. We are a target.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mayk|1350504293|3287235 said:

I do and I'm actually quite passionate about this election. So while I'm on the other side of you... I respect your opinion and it's awesome we all get to show up at the polls, hopefully show our IDs, and vote our passion!

As a side note I think Mr. Romney is pretty fabulous. For a woman who has been working in the same industry for over 27 years and one traditionally run by men...I appreciate his respect of diversity, inclusion of women on his staff, and paid the same as the boys..., his business background and experience. The promise to become enery independent, create more jobs by not taxing small businesses and providing choices for my golden years, these things excites me. As for Foreign policy...I'm appalled at what has transpired since the attack on our Embassy, mortified that Hillary took the fall (I really like her) and disappointed in the way it all unfolded. We are smarter than this we should have anticipated and prepared. We are a target.

Except Romney didn't spearhead the effort to appoint women, a group called MassGAP did, so the "binders full of women" existed and were going to be given to whichever candidate won. And by the end of Romney's term, the percentage of women in high positions were actually lower than when he took office. http://www.boston.com/politicalinte...ly-accurate/jrKRRGSIPqjvuKX8dgq6gL/story.html

And at Bain there were zero female partners until after Romney left in 1999. http://www.boston.com/politicalinte...iring-women/r3gqpykaQudNNqigmLZfuJ/story.html And there still don't appear to be any African-American or Hispanic members of the private equity team, going by the pictures on the Bain website: http://www.baincapitalprivateequity.com/team

Oh and the voter suppression laws have been overturned pretty much everywhere, so I won't be showing my ID on November 6, I'll just be voting! :wavey:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2|1350504934|3287249 said:

As a side note I think Mr. Romney is pretty fabulous. For a woman who has been working in the same industry for over 27 years and one traditionally run by men...I appreciate his respect of diversity, inclusion of women on his staff, and paid the same as the boys..., his business background and experience. The promise to become enery independent, create more jobs by not taxing small businesses and providing choices for my golden years, these things excites me. As for Foreign policy...I'm appalled at what has transpired since the attack on our Embassy, mortified that Hillary took the fall (I really like her) and disappointed in the way it all unfolded. We are smarter than this we should have anticipated and prepared. We are a target.

Except Romney didn't spearhead the effort to appoint women, a group called MassGAP did, so the "binders full of women" existed and were going to be given to whichever candidate won. And by the end of Romney's term, the percentage of women in high positions were actually lower than when he took office. http://www.boston.com/politicalinte...ly-accurate/jrKRRGSIPqjvuKX8dgq6gL/story.html

And at Bain there were zero female partners until after Romney left in 1999. http://www.boston.com/politicalinte...iring-women/r3gqpykaQudNNqigmLZfuJ/story.html And there still don't appear to be any African-American or Hispanic members of the private equity team, going by the pictures on the Bain website: http://www.baincapitalprivateequity.com/team

Oh and the voter suppression laws have been overturned pretty much everywhere, so I won't be showing my ID on November 6, I'll just be voting! :wavey:

We could go on for days...instead you vote for the big O and I'll vote for Romney and we can cancel our each others votes!

PS I'll be showing my ID.. it's required where I live.... and I actually have an authenic one...

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mayk|1350505061|3287254 said:

We could go on for days...instead you vote for the big O and I'll vote for Romney and we can cancel our each others votes!

Naw, I live in one of those important swing states, so my vote actually counts! But I'd love to hear more about Romney being fabulous and loving diversity! :lol: :devil: :cheeky:

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2|1350505223|3287255 said:

Naw, I live in one of those important swing states, so my vote actually counts! But I'd love to hear more about Romney being fabulous and loving diversity! :lol: :devil: :cheeky:[/quo

Oh and Florida is not one of those important swing states. ROFLAO. Yeah. We don't mean much!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2|1350505223|3287255 said:

Naw, I live in one of those important swing states, so my vote actually counts! But I'd love to hear more about Romney being fabulous and loving diversity! :lol: :devil: :cheeky:[/quo

Oh and Florida is not one of those important swing states. ROFLAO. Yeah. We don't mean much!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2|1350499420|3287182 said:
Laila619|1350498078|3287172 said:
it does not look good for the incumbent when the challenger is running neck to neck with only three weeks left.

I don't believe it will be as close as you think.

Ditto! Obama crushed it last night and I'd be willing to wager that he'll crush it on November 6. Bet you $10,000, DF! :tongue:
Thing2
after 4 yrs of Obama i couldn't even afford a Mickey's hamburger but i'd have couple of Obama fans on the hook for 1200 bucks.. :lol:
just remember that i'm gonna spike the football on you after the election... :tongue: i have waited 4 yrs.. :lol:

Lula

Ideal_Rock
ksinger|1350502337|3287209 said:
To add to what Dancing Fire posted, I am the mother of 3 children, all around college age. My oldest graduated from college a few years ago and had to find work in another state and has to commute multiple hours daily because he could not find anything in our home state. My second is a junior in college, and I worry whether she will be able to find work in her field after graduating. And the youngest is not looking to major in what interests her, but what will get her a possible job with a living wage upon graduation. And yes, between the kids and my husband and I the loans are piling up. I heard nothing from Obama that would lead me to believe the next 4 years will be any better than the last 4.

The next four years won't be any better under a different administration. The problems are global and systemic, and until the issues with the banking system are addressed -- e.g., banks being allowed to slow the housing recovery by titrating the number of short sales they process and banks being allowed to carry foreclosed properties for full pre-crash value on their books; stock trades not being taxed, especially derivatives -- things will not improve. The man who would be king has his focus on Chinese and Indian markets, not the U.S. middle class. That's where the purchasing power is, as has been discussed for at least 18 months over on Rocky Talky, at least with regard to diamond sales. The American middle class is dead. I suggest, in all seriousness, that your children look for jobs abroad, in emerging markets. Argentina, Brazil, China, India. Our current president focused on health care reform over banking reform and regulation and is paying the price for it. Advise your children to learn another language and get the heck out of here.

You can read about the absolute incompetence and fraud going on in the banking industry in Shelia Bair's new book
http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...84c412-0731-11e2-afff-d6c7f20a83bf_story.html

This. And now that business effectively owns the legislative process (thank you SCOTUS and Citizen's United!), I don't see many substantive differences either, save on social issues - there the differences are quite stark. As for business, the big lie about businesses as saviour of the US is that they have any loyalty to the country that gave them birth, which should be pretty obvious isn't true, when business flees to emerging markets so it can avoid supporting that way of life and can pay scab wages to foreign workers with no protections. And it wouldn't matter one iota if the effective corporate tax rate was zero - if the returns are higher in China, capital will flee to China. Putative reasons aside, that is what has historically happened when an emerging economy finally matures, and now it's happening here. When the cries of "free trade" and the financialization of the economy (in lieu of making "stuff") begins, that's the beginning of the end, so to speak.

Yes, I agree, ksinger. We are living in a declining hegemonic state http://www.stateofnature.org/decliningUsHegemony.html. I, too, will be voting on social issues, because I do not think either candidate will be able to deliver a robust economy. It will simply be a more dramatic and painful decline, sans safety nets, if the man who wants to be America's boss is elected.

What's it like to live in a declining hegemony? More money spent on wars (that's what declining hegemonies do; see the article I linked above) and more and more people being pushed into poverty, as companies outsource jobs to other countries in search of cheap labor. That cheap labor in those countries then becomes the new middle class. Eventually, wages will decline so precipitously in the U.S.A., that our workers will become a "new" source of cheap labor. And the cycle continues. Today's college graduates are the canaries in the coal mines. In all honesty, if I had a child of college age, I'd encourage them to find work in one of the BRIC countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China).

And, please note, when America's boss talks about helping business, he does not mean small business. It is multinational companies that benefit from his policies, not your locally owned small businesses.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
my younger daughter said ...humm,who should i vote for? so asked her a few Qs...

4 yrs ago didn't Obama promised that there will be a lot of jobs available after you graduated from college?.. :devil:
how much did it cost to fill up that little Honda Civic of yours?... :devil:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe|1350513566|3287354 said:
I just saw this on Hardball and I thought I'd post it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVkfNUxRh7g

I think that's adorable, Zoe. Thank you for posting it. Learning that song probably made the children who participated in that song more aware of elections and this specific election if it did nothing else!

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that with respect to the economy. No matter who was in office 4 years ago, and no matter who is in office for the next for years the economy would be, and will be in the same crappy place it is. Obama inherited the economy, he didn't create it. For me it's more important to make sure that socially our country doesn't revert back to the 50s. I will be voting on social issues.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1350529094|3287541 said:
I think that with respect to the economy. No matter who was in office 4 years ago, and no matter who is in office for the next for years the economy would be, and will be in the same crappy place it is. Obama inherited the economy, he didn't create it. For me it's more important to make sure that socially our country doesn't revert back to the 50s. I will be voting on social issues.
true,so did Reagan but he turned our economy around within 4 yrs not to make it worse.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayk|1350500332|3287192 said:

I'm with you DF.
where were you in 2008 when the PS liberals had control of both house and senate?... :lol:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thing2 and Deb, I must have watched that video 3 times last night after posting it. I'd love to show it to my class but I think it'd go right over their heads (their only 7-8).

I also found this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdKxL0OQb6Q

ETA: Okay, so that last one is hard to understand but I love how enthusiastic the kids are.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lula|1350518185|3287395 said:
ksinger|1350502337|3287209 said:

Yes, I agree, ksinger. We are living in a declining hegemonic state http://www.stateofnature.org/decliningUsHegemony.html. I, too, will be voting on social issues, because I do not think either candidate will be able to deliver a robust economy. It will simply be a more dramatic and painful decline, sans safety nets, if the man who wants to be America's boss is elected.

What's it like to live in a declining hegemony? More money spent on wars (that's what declining hegemonies do; see the article I linked above) and more and more people being pushed into poverty, as companies outsource jobs to other countries in search of cheap labor. That cheap labor in those countries then becomes the new middle class. Eventually, wages will decline so precipitously in the U.S.A., that our workers will become a "new" source of cheap labor. And the cycle continues. Today's college graduates are the canaries in the coal mines. In all honesty, if I had a child of college age, I'd encourage them to find work in one of the BRIC countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China).

And, please note, when America's boss talks about helping business, he does not mean small business. It is multinational companies that benefit from his policies, not your locally owned small businesses.

Yes, I find the whole situation depressing. And I see the concept of the unitary executive - a vision near and dear to Cheney's heart - still moving apace, as president-directed assassination has become a now open part of our national character.

I didn't have time to give your link the attention it deserves (I intend to though) but I was able to skim it. It seems right in line with some other anyalyses I've read where, while we distract ourselves from reality by looking backward (the push to recreate the 1950's? or worse, the Gilded Age?) and thrash over internal social issues while our infrastructure crumbles, while the rest of the world - China - is moving forward economically. And no one ever talks about how dependent we are on foreign resources like rare metals (forget oil for a sec ), or the impending struggle with the emerging economies, for those resources. (Just think: all the gadget addicts may be thrust into withdrawal!)

Basically, as you say, the forces in play now are too powerful for anyone to sway much, even if they were inclined. We've allowed ourselves to be set on this course, and now we are trundling down that path, out of control, like it or no.

I have a very bleak outlook for us (the US and humans in general), and quite frankly, am glad I will likely be dead in 30 years.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock

Sorry, I guess my answer did sound disdainful. Let's chalk it up to my feeling trapped by the choices. The debates, the participants, the moderator, the whole doggone campaign is a crapload of nothing, and I don't find it amazing.

We have a sorry excuse for a leader in office. We have another "ho hum" running against Mr. Sorry Excuse.

There is nothing amazing about any of this. Unfortunately.

I'll vote for who I believe to be the lesser of the two evils. And doesn't that sound exciting . . .

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
HollyS|1350574157|3287857 said:

Sorry, I guess my answer did sound disdainful. Let's chalk it up to my feeling trapped by the choices. The debates, the participants, the moderator, the whole doggone campaign is a crapload of nothing, and I don't find it amazing.

We have a sorry excuse for a leader in office. We have another "ho hum" running against Mr. Sorry Excuse.

There is nothing amazing about any of this. Unfortunately.

I'll vote for who I believe to be the lesser of the two evils. And doesn't that sound exciting . . .

Thanks, and fair enough! And fwiw, you can chalk my "amazing" comment up to the passion of the moment. :)) ;))

Abril

Shiny_Rock
Best line of 2nd debate

"Please proceed, Governor" :mrgreen: :errrr:

Abril

Shiny_Rock
3rd debate is about foreign policy, eh. :lol:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Abril|1350591360|3288075 said:
Best line of 2nd debate

"Please proceed, Governor" :mrgreen: :errrr:

That was a good line!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results