shape
carat
color
clarity

are you gonna watch the you know what tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't wait for the debate later! I don't think I'll be able to stay up for the whole thing but I'll watch what I can. My husband, who's newly interested in politics since the primaries, is practically giddy with excitement.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I want to watch but I am soooo sleepy lately. Not taking the crazy drugs anymore, but the sleepiness lingers.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elisateach|1350223355|3284981 said:
I agree if you listened you might have thought Biden won, that is if you could hear Ryan over the cackle& and other noises.
I think he was rude and disrespectful , but then that's a tactic both Biden and jay carney use, laugh and act bemused when faced with questions... The Saul Aulinksy rules for radicals

JulieN said:
I and my friends thought Biden killed Ryan. So embarrassing for a young man like Ryan who lies about his marathon time to be shown how its done by an older, alpha statesman!

I never watch more than about 10 minutes of debates because I find them really distasteful, but last night was riveted by Biden's skillful performance.

Ryan "lied" about a marathon time? What say you about this?

You misunderstand me. I did not point that out to suggest one is more truthful than the other. I only meant that, Ryan wants to craft an image of youthful health (and by extension the future) with his P90x and weight training, and went out of his way to lie about the marathon time, but he looked impotent next to Biden.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The debate is quite aggressive tonight.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
35 minutes into it and I really like the job the moderator is doing. don't think Romney is quite on his game at this point.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Candy did an amazing job (moderating), and this debate goes to the President (IMO). :!:

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am watching it.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Much better than the first Obama/Romney debate but not nearly as much fun as the Biden/Ryan one.

Deb, ducking to get out of Holly's throwing range
:saint:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
hlmr|1350437490|3286758 said:
Candy did an amazing job (moderating), and this debate goes to the President (IMO). :!:

I think that this is one debate where Democrats will think Obama won while Republicans will think that Romney did. No consensus. I am curious to hear what the undecided think, since nothing said will sway the decided voters.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought Obama was great tonight! "Read the transcript."

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got to watch this one. We did Drink "big bird" and "47 percent" so got to drink a couple times (well we imbibed at other times as well). I'm glad I got to catch it. The weird thing was, one of the newscasters afterwards said that they will do fact checking, but that fact checking (basically how truthful each candidate was) doesn't affect the results of the polls. How can that be?

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

:nono: moderator was biased

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayk|1350445703|3286851 said:

doesn't matter ...with this horrible economy not even the liberal media can save the President's job.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock

I agree.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1350439127|3286778 said:
Much better than the first Obama/Romney debate but not nearly as much fun as the Biden/Ryan one.

Deb, ducking to get out of Holly's throwing range
:saint:

I agree, Deb!

I ended up watching the whole thing and I'm paying for it this morning. Sooo sleepy.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock

She inserted herself INTO the debate, covering Obama's butt, blowing off Romney, and anyone here has the balls to call that okay???

No, wait. Someone called it "amazing"! Yes, I must say, I was amazed. At the audacity.

It's only biased when it's FOX News, right? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HollyS|1350482008|3287005 said:

She inserted herself INTO the debate, covering Obama's butt, blowing off Romney, and anyone here has the balls to call that okay???

No, wait. Someone called it "amazing"! Yes, I must say, I was amazed. At the audacity.

:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I only watched 5 minutes of it (had to see what Mitt's binder full o' women was all about!) but I agree that the moderator showed bias. And that's me being honest, cause I'm not a Romney fan!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
both Obama and Romney can spin the numbers however they like,but with the avg american who doesn't follow politics will notice that there are no jobs, high gas price and high grocery bills.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was unimpressed with Obama's Syria answer. Did your administration deny the extra security, or not? I also agree the moderation felt biased, though I wonder if it was partially fear of ending up like Lehrer.

I found Romney's Ledbetter response highly offensive.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I watched an interview with the moderator this morning where she said that she was trying to say, "Yes, he said the word terror, but you are right that it took 2 weeks to identify it as an attack and not a reaction, so Mr. Romney, you are correct, can we move on?" buy that all that really got heard was the first part of her answer. I will have to go back and find a clip, though I did feel she was biased towards President Obama.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Mayk|1350482112|3287006 said:

:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

I guess it's all in the eyes (and apparently, "the balls" :rolleyes: :roll: ), of the beholder.

I thought she kept the men on track for the most part, and therefore did a much better job as moderator in this debate. As for inserting herself into the debate, it was actually in favor of Romney, although the audience's immediate reaction made it difficult to hear her full statement.

And Holly, as I previously stated, this is my opinion, of which I am very entitled to.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
it does not look good for the incumbent when the challenger is running neck to neck with only three weeks left.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Holly
you wanna see fair and balance then you should watch MSNBC... :wink2:

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, yeah. We all have an opinion. And we're "entitled" to that opinion. Except, when you say that, you have to remember:

That would be the reason I get to state mine . . . not just listen to yours. I get to have an opinion, too.

You say amazing, I say not. Not by a long shot.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
To add to what Dancing Fire posted, I am the mother of 3 children, all around college age. My oldest graduated from college a few years ago and had to find work in another state and has to commute multiple hours daily because he could not find anything in our home state. My second is a junior in college, and I worry whether she will be able to find work in her field after graduating. And the youngest is not looking to major in what interests her, but what will get her a possible job with a living wage upon graduation. And yes, between the kids and my husband and I the loans are piling up. I heard nothing from Obama that would lead me to believe the next 4 years will be any better than the last 4.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1350493224|3287120 said:
it does not look good for the incumbent when the challenger is running neck to neck with only three weeks left.

I don't believe it will be as close as you think.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
ruby59|1350496338|3287159 said:
To add to what Dancing Fire posted, I am the mother of 3 children, all around college age. My oldest graduated from college a few years ago and had to find work in another state and has to commute multiple hours daily because he could not find anything in our home state. My second is a junior in college, and I worry whether she will be able to find work in her field after graduating. And the youngest is not looking to major in what interests her, but what will get her a possible job with a living wage upon graduation. And yes, between the kids and my husband and I the loans are piling up. I heard nothing from Obama that would lead me to believe the next 4 years will be any better than the last 4.

The next four years won't be any better under a different administration. The problems are global and systemic, and until the issues with the banking system are addressed -- e.g., banks being allowed to slow the housing recovery by titrating the number of short sales they process and banks being allowed to carry foreclosed properties for full pre-crash value on their books; stock trades not being taxed, especially derivatives -- things will not improve. The man who would be king has his focus on Chinese and Indian markets, not the U.S. middle class. That's where the purchasing power is, as has been discussed for at least 18 months over on Rocky Talky, at least with regard to diamond sales. The American middle class is dead. I suggest, in all seriousness, that your children look for jobs abroad, in emerging markets. Argentina, Brazil, China, India. Our current president focused on health care reform over banking reform and regulation and is paying the price for it. Advise your children to learn another language and get the heck out of here.

You can read about the absolute incompetence and fraud going on in the banking industry in Shelia Bair's new book
http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...84c412-0731-11e2-afff-d6c7f20a83bf_story.html

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1350498078|3287172 said:
Dancing Fire|1350493224|3287120 said:

I don't believe it will be as close as you think.

Ditto! Obama crushed it last night and I'd be willing to wager that he'll crush it on November 6. Bet you $10,000, DF! :tongue:

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lula|1350498553|3287176 said:
ruby59|1350496338|3287159 said:

The next four years won't be any better under a different administration. The problems are global and systemic, and until the issues with the banking system are addressed -- e.g., banks being allowed to slow the housing recovery by titrating the number of short sales they process and banks being allowed to carry foreclosed properties for full pre-crash value on their books; stock trades not being taxed, especially derivatives -- things will not improve. The man who would be king has his focus on Chinese and Indian markets, not the U.S. middle class. That's where the purchasing power is, as has been discussed for at least 18 months over on Rocky Talky, at least with regard to diamond sales. The American middle class is dead. I suggest, in all seriousness, that your children look for jobs abroad, in emerging markets. Argentina, Brazil, China, India. Our current president focused on health care reform over banking reform and regulation and is paying the price for it. Advise your children to learn another language and get the heck out of here.

You can read about the absolute incompetence and fraud going on in the banking industry in Shelia Bair's new book
http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...84c412-0731-11e2-afff-d6c7f20a83bf_story.html
I'm not quite as fatalistic, but I do generally agree with you about the trajectory. As Romney said, government doesn't create jobs. Economic conditions do though, and there does seem to be a lack of opportunity for growth in the U.S. and more opportunities for growth in the non-Western world.

A big problem, though, when talking about opportunities for "college grads" is that there are just proportionately so many more of them. We can't reasonably expect a college grad to have the same opportunities or benefits from signaling when the country is so thoroughly saturated with them, even if the economy does get much better. One of my fears is that this will lead to employers increasingly passing over grads of less prestigious but less expensive schools in favor of the grads of elite institutions. Obama seems pretty focused on bringing back manufacturing jobs. I don't know how viable that is for us, but aside from the engineers and executives associated with manufacturing firms, I have my doubts those are the jobs college grads are looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results