shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone looking for a lovely oval?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not in the market (YAY! I found my ring) but I did request an ASET of a lovely 1.5 oval from James Allen and since they sent it over and it looks and sounds like a winner... I thought I'd share in case anyone is looking for one as I know they are hard to shop for!

It's about $10,000 (JA has a PS discount if you ask)... http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Premium-Cut-Oval-Diamond-1088855.asp

It's got my personal 'sweet spot' with a small table and good depth (therefore spread) plus it's not too fat (not a roval) but not too skinny either-- it's just 'right' oval shape to my eyes and preferences. And at G VS2 it's white and clean without the colorless markup.

Shape: Oval
Carat weight: 1.51

Color: G
Clarity: VS2
Certificate: GIA
Depth: 66.7%
Table: 57.0%
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Thick to extremely thick, faceted
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 8.45*6.27*4.18
Ratio: 1.35

Here's the ASET and the Gemologist's comment. Please let me know if you DO get it, cause I want hand pics of this puppy!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gemologist's notes: Our gemologist determined diamond 1088855 is a great option. It has an extremely small bowtie that is very well blended. It also has excellent light performance and mid to high G color performance.

The main thing I was looking for on the ASET was to see if lined up with the gemologist's assessment of the bowtie, and it does.

1088855aset.jpg

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Good find, Gypsy!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
That doesn't look very good to me... it looks really leaky - hardly any red in the aset and the green is really watered down with the white. I agree, there's hardly any bowtie, but that seems to be the only criteria that passes in my eyes and even that isn't really a criteria, being a bowtie lover (they're the arrows of long stones).

Am I missing something? I bring up my doubts only because there is no one attached to this and we can discuss it without offending anyone... I'm curious.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a fan either :sick: a properly taken ASET would help, but as it is I see too much mush under the N/S ends of the table for my liking.

Then again, perhaps I've been forever spoilt wrt ovals thanks to Yenny's & geisha's!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thoughts-on-this-oval.161302/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thoughts-on-this-oval.161302/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/third-times-a-charm-my-new-trellis-3-stone-oval.163383/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/third-times-a-charm-my-new-trellis-3-stone-oval.163383/[/URL]
for anyone who missed them

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cehrabehra|1312377075|2983030 said:
That doesn't look very good to me... it looks really leaky - hardly any red in the aset and the green is really watered down with the white. I agree, there's hardly any bowtie, but that seems to be the only criteria that passes in my eyes and even that isn't really a criteria, being a bowtie lover (they're the arrows of long stones).

Am I missing something? I bring up my doubts only because there is no one attached to this and we can discuss it without offending anyone... I'm curious.

I've never seen an a great oval ASET.. they all seem pretty leaky to me and mushy the ones that are crisp always have well defined bowties for me, and they are my pet peeve... lol. Happy to learn more if I am wrong. I certainly don't want to recommend bad ovals.

Yssie, I love Kaleigh's oval. Yenny's is an old cut so I think it's out of the common run, and Geisha's has a bowtie... it's a gorgeous stone (especially set as it is) but bow ties REALLY bother me so I guess I'm willing to sacrifice a bit to get a stone without one.

We don't have any "oval experts" but Cehra, with all your work on cushions I think you'd be the closest thing. What do you think a good Oval ASET should look like?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
I also had these same thoughts (not sufficient red in the ASET, leakage etc.) before I saw the other comments, I did JA's loupe on it and it seemed somewhat hazy (and very slightly yellow) in places and not clear enough for my liking. I guess we can't all like the same stones eh ?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
How funny Yssie. I don't really like (at all) any of those. The first one is the best but I don't like the "good" polish and it has a bowtie that might bug me (probably depending on how well it blends) but it has a lovely shape and the spread is nice, the second has all kinds of issues like the shape to start (not an oval-- it's a wonky round IMO) and the last one is A) not a nice oval shape at all B) has a giant bowtie you could drive a truck through. Lots of red in an oval Aset generally means lots of red at the bowtie.

Generally JA's Asets aren't that crisp for fancy's. I have bought 4 stones for friends from them and have realized that their gemologists comments are usually more accurate than the ASET to tell me if the stone is bright and clear with fancy's. I've bought 1) cushion a pear and two rounds from them for people (okay so they've paid but I've hunted).

I don't think 1.5 GVS2 is hazy though.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
different strokes for different folks indeed 8)

interesting observation re. JA's ASETS. That ASET of the subject of this thread certainly leaves much to be desired - but it gets the job done.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1312412854|2983512 said:
different strokes for different folks indeed 8)

interesting observation re. JA's ASETS. That ASET of the subject of this thread certainly leaves much to be desired - but it gets the job done.

Yup! Fancy's are hard. I only use the JA ASETs for bowties on pears and ovals. For step cuts I find they are MUCH for helpful. But then my eye is better at judging step cuts, period because I've had the most practice at it.

I'm in the market for a small pear (under 600) at I-J eyeclean and it's been impossible. Money's all ready to go. But bumpkis to buy.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah... that bowtie would bug me, even on a necklace. ;))

I'm wondering what the chances are that this one is eyeclean enough for a necklace. http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5589/ Great size, I like the shape and no, it's doesn't have the most amazing ASET ever but again.. necklace so I'm not certain I care as long as it's a pretty stone.

I will call them tomorrow to see about it. I tried to reserve it but my gift certificate number isn't working. It's MINE folks. Mitts off!

Higher color than I wanted but I'm not gonna kick it to the curb for being too white!

Okay so it's on hold.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice I1! I wonder how prongable those would be?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
good luck gypsy in your hunt for a small pear.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I love that H/VVS1 0.91 ct oval!!! And very strong blue fluor...SWOOOOON!!! If I had an extra $2500, I'd totally snap that up and put it in a RHR or pendant.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1312416411|2983580 said:
Nice I1! I wonder how prongable those would be?

I'd be bezelling so... need to find out if it would work.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha that really round oval (wonky round) is 1.26 ratio which is the SAME ratio as my oh-so-very-long cushion lol

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1312409134|2983462 said:
Cehrabehra|1312377075|2983030 said:

I've never seen an a great oval ASET.. they all seem pretty leaky to me and mushy the ones that are crisp always have well defined bowties for me, and they are my pet peeve... lol. Happy to learn more if I am wrong. I certainly don't want to recommend bad ovals.

Yssie, I love Kaleigh's oval. Yenny's is an old cut so I think it's out of the common run, and Geisha's has a bowtie... it's a gorgeous stone (especially set as it is) but bow ties REALLY bother me so I guess I'm willing to sacrifice a bit to get a stone without one.

We don't have any "oval experts" but Cehra, with all your work on cushions I think you'd be the closest thing. What do you think a good Oval ASET should look like?
its funny you say that lol I actually spent quite a bit of time in the middle of the night unable to sleep thinking about this and wishing I'd accepted the offer for the key for the program to work on what was in my head lol

The problem with ovals is the same problem you have with long cushions in that not every arrow is the same length or angle and it messes with things. (the exception being square cushions that dont' have the arrows at 12/3/6/9 - those cushions called h&a cushions are cut so they DO have all of the arrows the same length) The "bow tie" facets are arrow facets, they're just huge to try to get the ends (and thus the majority) more lined up. The best long cushions have a long culet so that you can get more similar angles on the pav but then you end up with your cushion looking a bit like an emerald cut in the middle which can turn people off. In an oval you have all points still meeting at a central pinpoint so you definitely have less control over the angles. And then again if you look at dave atlas' shape selector you will see that the main difference between oval and cushion (top down shape) is bulge in the corners so I suppose you could take a long cushion cut with an elongated culet and then round the corners off... sort of. All of this is ignoring what's going on on the pavillion so its mute lol I'm also tired (ha - didn't sleep well last night see above) and am rambling. I wish I could mess with that in that program.

one solution is to put the axis - the facet edges at 12/3/6/9 so that your oval kind of looks like it is in quarters but you definitely lose the bow tie in that situation, but then you have what would be a modern cushion if it were a cushion. I shouldn't be allowed to type when I'm tired - does any of this make sense? If only I could be as eloquent as yssie was last night lol Maybe she can help me haha

I will say that I think you're sacrificing a lot to get rid of the bow tie though. I don't know why they have such a bad rap! Those facets on my diamond are my favorites!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Everyone has their preferences. Good thing I have my asscher though! No ovals for me.

What you said about the alignment of the facets like that of a modern cushions makes sense AND sounds gorgeous. I would adore an oval like that.

So when are you going to work with Storm to make us an ideal oval ... inquiring minds want to know.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1312430142|2983762 said:
Everyone has their preferences. Good thing I have my asscher though! No ovals for me.

What you said about the alignment of the facets like that of a modern cushions makes sense AND sounds gorgeous. I would adore an oval like that.

So when are you going to work with Storm to make us an ideal oval ... inquiring minds want to know.
pffft, storm doesn't want to work with me! lol He's a success, I'm an annoying and overly talkative housewife in china - I'd drag him down! that said I would love to play with the program, I'm sure I could find something interesting ;-)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay. Well, the hunt for a small pear continues!

The F I1 was eyeclean. But the entire stone is hazy. http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5589/
The I Si2 was eyeclean but had ZERO light return and was dead. http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5590/

Poor Charles at GOG (great service as always) was like... um... neither. Definitely neither. Let me send you a picture why.

Picture is worth 1000 words!

pear comparison.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results