shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone know the cost of tiny pink diamonds and where to get them?

FutureGracie

Rough_Rock
I am having a ring made up and at first it will not have a halo but the ultimate plan is to add a halo of small pink diamonds around the .39 diamond center so I shouldn’t need all that many. Anytime I search for pink diamonds all I find are center stones not the small ones used for halos. I would like to get an idea of the cost and the amount I would need so we can figure out what we are looking at , also I have no idea of the size of diamonds I would need for a halo . This was the plan for my old ring that went missing. Unfortunately we are back at square one in the ring making process so we need to see if this is feasible now or to wait till later. Thanks for any help! This would honestly be my dream ring it’s all a matter of if I can do it now or in the near future.

FutureGracie

Rough_Rock
Yes thanks I know she has a semi mount setting but I am having the ring made close to me and was looking to source the diamonds that would go in the halo at least potentially I don’t even know if this is financially feasible which is why I’m inquiring.I am from Canada so by the time you factor in exchange rates duties and taxes it doesn’t look like a pretty price for the semi mount but perhaps buying the diamonds may be again I don’t know which is why I’m inquiring.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So what you are saying is that you have already inquired and they wont sell the pink melee to you?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Usually the maker of the setting would suply these, so there are few public quotes.

The price may vary enormously between subtle shades, from light old/brownish pinks usually backed in pink gold, to priceless deep cherry and vivid dots...

Eg. - not sure what to make of these numbers: www

FutureGracie

Rough_Rock
So what you are saying is that you have already inquired and they wont sell the pink melee to you?
No I have not inquired. I guess I can ask her if she would sell some it wouldn’t hurt to ask.

FutureGracie

Rough_Rock
Usually the maker of the setting would suply these, so there are few public quotes.

The price may vary enormously between subtle shades, from light old/brownish pinks usually backed in pink gold, to priceless deep cherry and vivid dots...

Aww thanks I believe that is what I am looking for .

Reactions: AV_

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock

Those melee... :love: Oh my god how would you choose! The Sky and the Steel and the light pink and the raspberry... :love:

FutureGracie

Rough_Rock
You can also look at Africa Gems. They also sell melee size stones in addition to their gemstone inventory.
Just curious because I don’t know much about fancy coloured diamonds, but are all fancy coloured melee heat treated?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just curious because I don’t know much about fancy coloured diamonds, but are all fancy coloured melee heat treated?
And are they guaranteed Mined or are they potentially Laboratory Grown?!

The latter are apparently finding their way into supply chains, if I remember what I've read correctly, and are much cheaper than Mined, so I would be wary of paying $300+ for 0.01ct of Fancy Vivid Pink melee, for example, if they are not guaranteed Mined!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And are they guaranteed Mined or are they potentially Laboratory Grown?!

The latter are apparently finding their way into supply chains, if I remember what I've read correctly, and are much cheaper than Mined, so I would be wary of paying $300+ for 0.01ct of Fancy Vivid Pink melee, for example, if they are not guaranteed Mined!

Yes I read about this too. One must be super careful to know exactly what they’re purchasing.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope. E.g., none of Langerman's melee has been enhanced in any way & Africa Gems sells natural colored melee, not just irradiated or HPHT diamond melee.
https://www.langerman-diamonds.com/faq/
https://www.africagems.com/fancy-diamonds.html
https://www.africagems.com/enhanced-diamonds.html

FYI: those in the trade -- like the jeweler fabricating your ring -- are typically able to source melee of any kind at a lower cost than we consumers can find on our own.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
P.S. Have you discussed the feasibility -- and cost estimate -- of later creating a halo ring from the ring you think you initially would commission? Converting a solitaire to a ring with a halo'd head isn't akin to adding a cuff to a straight-edged shirt sleeve that is too short. And depending on several variables, the "conversion" may require an entirely new setting. So in deciding whether to spring for your dream ring now or later, the purchase cost of the melee is just one piece of the puzzle to consider.

As for the size of the halo melee, your personal preference will play a role. The jeweler making the ring should be able to create images that will help you make that decision if they don't have a variety of different sizes of melee at hand to physically display around your diamond.

If you've not already done so, you might enjoy scrolling through at least some of the many pages in the Under 1-ct Diamond thread, part of the Show Me The Bling board, for inspiration & helpful visual aids like this pic of a beautifully proportioned "target ring" with a .28 ct diamond as the center stone:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/under-1ct-diamonds.25028/page-91#post-4443216

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
P.S. Have you discussed the feasibility -- and cost estimate -- of later creating a halo ring from the ring you think you initially would commission? Converting a solitaire to a ring with a halo'd head isn't akin to adding a cuff to a straight-edged shirt sleeve that is too short. And depending on several variables, the "conversion" may require an entirely new setting. So in deciding whether to spring for your dream ring now or later, the purchase cost of the melee is just one piece of the puzzle to consider.

As for the size of the halo melee, your personal preference will play a role. The jeweler making the ring should be able to create images that will help you make that decision if they don't have a variety of different sizes of melee at hand to physically display around your diamond.

If you've not already done so, you might enjoy scrolling through at least some of the many pages in the Under 1-ct Diamond thread, part of the Show Me The Bling board, for inspiration & helpful visual aids like these pics of a beautifully proportioned "target ring" with a .28 ct diamond as the center stone:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/under-1ct-diamonds.25028/page-91#post-4443216

Ditto all of this.

"Adding a halo" to an existing solitaire is not an easy task.
The size of the melee you will ultimately need will depend hugely on the size and style of the setting you choose.
The price of the pink melee you will ultimately need will depend hugely on the precise shade and saturation you want.
Your jeweller will have access to far more inventory than you, an end-consumer with no trade connections.
You may later wish to go in a different direction or use a different stone, improbable though that might sound right now. If you miscalculate on your melee requirements you'll be stuck trying to colour-match later.

Put some money aside now for this reset project. Later, when you're ready, find a jeweller you trust and let him or her help you create the halo. Hoarding melee preemptively (truly) achieves absolutely nothing but imposition of constraints, limitations, restrictions on your future project.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you are willing to buy color treated your options get much better.

Lab melee was mentioned above. It exists but most of the players are concentrating on white stones for engagement rings.

I would start with D.Nea. They are a recommended dealer and used to post here on lab stones. They have very few on their website now as the demand isn't as high as some people think it is, especially for colored. They probably do have the knowledge and access you need.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Well, pink melee are getting harder and harder to source. Your jeweler finding them for you is your best bet. Because of the increasing scarcity of natural pinks, I don't think Leibish sells melee anymore (but worth a try as I trust them). You can check with David at Diamonds by Lauren, but I don't think he sells melee outright anymore(if he ever did). Africa gems didn't have any either last time I checked, but that was several years ago. You can probably find brownish pinks or even light pinks, but true fancy pinks, intense and vivid are very, very hard to find. If you are planning on setting them in white gold or platinum, you will need intense or vivid pinks. If you want to set them in rose gold you are probably ok with fancy pink. I just don't think light fancy pink are worth the cost as they look only slightly more pink than colorless diamonds when set into rose gold. Also- keep in mind that pink melee colors are very subjective. What one vendor may call fancy pink, I would call it light fancy (at best). This is why it's best for your jeweler to source them for you. If they are not correct, they can return them whereas it may be more difficult for you.

FutureGracie

Rough_Rock
Nope. E.g., none of Langerman's melee has been enhanced in any way & Africa Gems sells natural colored melee, not just irradiated or HPHT diamond melee.
https://www.langerman-diamonds.com/faq/
https://www.africagems.com/fancy-diamonds.html
https://www.africagems.com/enhanced-diamonds.html

FYI: those in the trade -- like the jeweler fabricating your ring -- are typically able to source melee of any kind at a lower cost than we consumers can find on our own.

FutureGracie

Rough_Rock
Well, pink melee are getting harder and harder to source. Your jeweler finding them for you is your best bet. Because of the increasing scarcity of natural pinks, I don't think Leibish sells melee anymore (but worth a try as I trust them). You can check with David at Diamonds by Lauren, but I don't think he sells melee outright anymore(if he ever did). Africa gems didn't have any either last time I checked, but that was several years ago. You can probably find brownish pinks or even light pinks, but true fancy pinks, intense and vivid are very, very hard to find. If you are planning on setting them in white gold or platinum, you will need intense or vivid pinks. If you want to set them in rose gold you are probably ok with fancy pink. I just don't think light fancy pink are worth the cost as they look only slightly more pink than colorless diamonds when set into rose gold. Also- keep in mind that pink melee colors are very subjective. What one vendor may call fancy pink, I would call it light fancy (at best). This is why it's best for your jeweler to source them for you. If they are not correct, they can return them whereas it may be more difficult for you.
Thanks for the help I guess I will just ask my jeweller that is making the ring if he can get some since he will be able to source them and for a better deal I suppose thanks so much for the help everyone I very much appreciate the feedback!

FutureGracie

Rough_Rock

Lab melee was mentioned above. It exists but most of the players are concentrating on white stones for engagement rings.

I would start with D.Nea. They are a recommended dealer and used to post here on lab stones. They have very few on their website now as the demand isn't as high as some people think it is, especially for colored. They probably do have the knowledge and access you need.
Ya no not colour treated I know it sounds silly but I love them because they are my favourite colour and birthstone as well as the fact that they are rare and will be considered more rare in the future potentially, and not many people have them where I am from. I can’t say I have ever seen anyone wearing them.

Reactions: AV_

FutureGracie

Rough_Rock
Ditto all of this.

"Adding a halo" to an existing solitaire is not an easy task.
The size of the melee you will ultimately need will depend hugely on the size and style of the setting you choose.
The price of the pink melee you will ultimately need will depend hugely on the precise shade and saturation you want.
Your jeweller will have access to far more inventory than you, an end-consumer with no trade connections.
You may later wish to go in a different direction or use a different stone, improbable though that might sound right now. If you miscalculate on your melee requirements you'll be stuck trying to colour-match later.

Put some money aside now for this reset project. Later, when you're ready, find a jeweller you trust and let him or her help you create the halo. Hoarding melee preemptively (truly) achieves absolutely nothing but imposition of constraints, limitations, restrictions on your future project.
I understand what you mean however I am having a diamond put into a cathedral setting and I am pretty sure that it would be very easy to remove and add a halo piece to it, of course I will be discussing this as well as all my options when I see the jeweler this weekend. I appreciate the feedback.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ya no not colour treated I know it sounds silly but I love them because they are my favourite colour and birthstone as well as the fact that they are rare and will be considered more rare in the future potentially, and not many people have them where I am from. I can’t say I have ever seen anyone wearing them.

I would start with D.Nea. They are a recommended dealer and used to post here on lab stones. They have very few on their website now as the demand isn't as high as some people think it is, especially for colored. They probably do have the knowledge and access you need.[/QUOTE]

Understood!

You're going to have to do some work because pinks are pretty rare and are always cut to preserve weight because they're so expensive. So a set of 12 pinks matched to color and size will be hard to get...Africa Gems is probably not the only source but they're the only one I know of, and they are offering light purplish pink and warn that they may not have many in stock. A 1 mm pink is $106 compared to $14 for a white...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the help I guess I will just ask my jeweller that is making the ring if he can get some since he will be able to source them and for a better deal I suppose thanks so much for the help everyone I very much appreciate the feedback!

Have you communicated with your jeweller at all regarding your plan to "attach a halo" down the road? Again, this is not a simple task - you must discuss this with your vendor before having the initial solitaire made.

Talk to your jeweller about the entirety of your long-term plan, from 'solitaire now' to 'pink diamond halo sometime later'. He or she will have opinions and recommendations, and will be happy to steer design and perspective - and will do so with your project's interests in mind - if you ask for help.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi all!

I have to poke my head in a voraciously agree with the point that adding a halo to an existing ring is not a good idea......or more accurately, a horrible idea:)
The entire structure of a halo ring is different than a solitaire.
Then we have the issue of supplying diamonds to the setter- it's not possible to know exactly how many stones, or what size until the ring is designed.
And, many styles call for a few different sizes within the halo.
In many cases, we need to supply 10-20% more stones than needed to allow the setters to select the best stone for each position in the halo.

FutureGracie

Rough_Rock
Have you communicated with your jeweller at all regarding your plan to "attach a halo" down the road? Again, this is not a simple task - you must discuss this with your vendor before having the initial solitaire made.

Talk to your jeweller about the entirety of your long-term plan, from 'solitaire now' to 'pink diamond halo sometime later'. He or she will have opinions and recommendations, and will be happy to steer design and perspective - and will do so with your project's interests in mind - if you ask for help.
No I have not had the initial consultation yet we are going this weekend. I know it can be done and pretty much know what type of setting I need because of the old ring I had that had been the plan but since it went missing less then a week after having it that didn’t get to happen. This was years ago. I pretty much spent the entire time engaged with no ring because of what happened. I am very excited to be getting this replacement ring and want to go the route we initially planned on going a while ago.

FutureGracie

Rough_Rock
I am going to have my jeweler give a quote for the pink diamond halo ring as well as just the cathedral semi setting and I will of course discuss my plans with my jeweler before we go ahead and do anything so there is no worries there.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps your jeweler can generate CADS of the solitaire without the halo and also another set with the halo and how it will be attached to your
setting. That way you can see if your solitaire is designed to take a halo and be able to see pictures of how it will turn out once you are able to
do the halo.

*I suggest putting your current stone in an inexpensive setting ($250) for now and saving up money for the completed halo ring in the future but I
know that's not what you want to do.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going to have my jeweler give a quote for the pink diamond halo ring as well as just the cathedral semi setting and I will of course discuss my plans with my jeweler before we go ahead and do anything so there is no worries there.
Perfect. Let us know how it goes!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results