shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone interested in a new quiz thread?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2009 12:45:09 AM
Author: marcyc
Grace Kelly''s second engagement ring from Prince Rainier was a 10.47 carat EC ring flanked by 2 baguettes. What was her first engagement ring?
Marcie ,we are waiting for the official answer!
Heres another celebrity question involving Grace Kelly and Elizabeth Taylor while we wait.
Eliabeth Taylor premiered/wore for the first time a very famous diamond at a party held in Princess Grace''s honor in Monte Carlo.Here is the multi-part question.
Name...
1-the name of this famous diamond,its carat weight,shape and who it was bought from
2-who bought it for Liz and for how much(hint...it was a world record paid for a diamond at this time)
3-what was the occasion that was being celibrated in Monte Carlo?
4-what type of jewelry was the stone set in and what famous jeweler made it for liz
5-name the year.
GOOD LUCK!

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
OMG... I think I KNOW this! Maybe the ONLY celebrity trivia question I can muster up an answers for...

1. The Taylor-Buton Diamond, 69-plus cts (?), pear shape, purchased from Cartier.
2. Richard Burton, of course! Not sure of the price. First, I wanted to say $2M, but, I don't think so. Burton originally wanted to bid $1M, but he was outbid by Cartier. Then, Cartier quickly resold the diamond at profit to Burton. I think there was $50K added with each step... maybe $1,100,000 in total? Or was it $1,200,000? Phooey.
3. Grace Kelly's 40th Birthday.
4. It was a ring, then a necklace (I'll have the necklace please). Cartier did the necklace. I assume they did the ring as well.
Uh-oh... let's see. THINK. Wait! Grace Kelly was my mother's age, I think. Or, was she a year younger/ Older? THINKING... OK, I'm guessing here. She was my mother's age... 1969?

Am I close?
36.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 7:10:50 PM
Author: Rockit
OMG... I think I KNOW this! Maybe the ONLY celebrity trivia question I can muster up an answers for...

1. The Taylor-Buton Diamond, 69-plus cts (?), pear shape, purchased from Cartier.
2. Richard Burton, of course! Not sure of the price. First, I wanted to say $2M, but, I don''t think so. Burton originally wanted to bid $1M, but he was outbid by Cartier. Then, Cartier quickly resold the diamond at profit to Burton. I think there was $50K added with each step... maybe $1,100,000 in total? Or was it $1,200,000? Phooey.
3. Grace Kelly''s 40th Birthday.
4. It was a ring, then a necklace (I''ll have the necklace please). Cartier did the necklace. I assume they did the ring as well.
Uh-oh... let''s see. THINK. Wait! Grace Kelly was my mother''s age, I think. Or, was she a year younger/ Older? THINKING... OK, I''m guessing here. She was my mother''s age... 1969?

Am I close?
36.gif
Rockit!You rock the joint!
The Taylor Burton weighed 69.42 (has since been re-cut to 68 carats)
burton paid 1 million 50 thousand for the stone
Grace Kelly''s 40th birthday
its was first a ring,then in a cartier necklace.
it was 1969.
There is so much information on the net ,but i pulled my info from Elizabeths book.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/10/2009 10:24:40 PM
Author: Harriet

Date: 6/10/2009 12:45:09 AM
Grace Kelly''s second engagement ring from Prince Rainier was a 10.47 carat EC ring flanked by 2 baguettes. What was her first engagement ring?
I was told at the Cartier exhibition that it was an eternity band. When the couple came to the US, Prince Rainier found that American engagement rings were blingier. So, he bought her the emerald-cut, along with a big sapphire ring.
That''s right. Too funny a prince was upstaged by Hollywood.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Another Taylor-Burton question.
What popular telivision show in 1969 used the Taylor-Burton and its famous owners in one of its episodes where the lead actor gets the diamond ring stuck on their finger?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/12/2009 8:47:05 PM
Author: jewelerman

Date: 6/12/2009 7:10:50 PM

2. Richard Burton, of course! Not sure of the price. First, I wanted to say $2M, but, I don''t think so. Burton originally wanted to bid $1M, but he was outbid by Cartier. Then, Cartier quickly resold the diamond at profit to Burton. I think there was $50K added with each step... maybe $1,100,000 in total? Or was it $1,200,000? Phooey.
3. Grace Kelly''s 40th Birthday.
4. It was a ring, then a necklace (I''ll have the necklace please). Cartier did the necklace. I assume they did the ring as well.
Uh-oh... let''s see. THINK. Wait! Grace Kelly was my mother''s age, I think. Or, was she a year younger/ Older? THINKING... OK, I''m guessing here. She was my mother''s age... 1969?

Am I close?
36.gif
Rockit!You rock the joint!
The Taylor Burton weighed 69.42 (has since been re-cut to 68 carats)
burton paid 1 million 50 thousand for the stone
Grace Kelly''s 40th birthday
its was first a ring,then in a cartier necklace.
it was 1969.
There is so much information on the net ,but i pulled my info from Elizabeths book.
This is great! Good questions and woo hoo for knowing the answers.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/12/2009 8:50:57 PM
What popular telivision show in 1969 used the Taylor-Burton and its famous owners in one of its episodes where the lead actor gets the diamond ring stuck on their finger?
I have no idea but it sounds like a Lucy skit.
36.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 8:53:09 PM

36.gif
It was the Lucy Show!!!

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
The ONLY reason I knew ANY of this is because I have poured over the Taylor jewels book many, many times (um, not too mention the fact that the Taylor-Burton is rather unforgettable)! Lucky for me, my mother saved the day for the only question I really had to guess about; I knew it was the late 60s or early 70s, but, exactly when, I could not pin down. I don''t even know how I remembered my mom and and Grace Kelly were the same age, all of a sudden it just popped into my head (that little tidbit of info must have sunk in there sometime because I adored my mom AND Grace Kelly).

OK, I assure you, that''s ALL that I know!

I love reading/learning this good stuff. Thanks for the interesting questions!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/12/2009 8:55:00 PM

36.gif
It was the Lucy Show!!!
That is why my husband hates to play Trivial Pursuit with me - I tend to be good at guessing.
9.gif
I'd love to see that episode just to see the diamond.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 11:08:44 PM

Date: 6/12/2009 8:55:00 PM

36.gif
It was the Lucy Show!!!
That is why my husband hates to play Trivial Pursuit with me - I tend to be good at guessing.
9.gif
I''d love to see that episode just to see the diamond.
Hope you can see it some day.Its really a good way to see the huge size of the diamond.we need more questions!
Name three countries that offer 9 karat gold jewelry for sale.
Name one country that offers 8 Karat gold jewelry for sale.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Not an exhaustive list, but:

UK
Germany
Eire
Japan
Lebanon
Switzerland (watch cases only)

Bulgaria
Germany (in theory at least - any title is allowed as long as it's marked)

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
marcyc, the Lucy Show was a great guess! I watched all of them, over and over again, but, I don''t recall that particular episode. I was about to guess The Carol Burnett Show.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good questions Jewelerman. I will have to watch for that Lucy episode; I''d love to see it.

Rockit, Carol Burnett would be a great guess. I can easily see either CB or Lucy pulling a stunt like that.

Here is a link to see the gorgeous Taylor - Burton Diamond. It''s drool worthy.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can get the Here''s Lucy DVD (best episodes) online for about $22 to $25 that contains the episode with Burton and Taylor. On Wikipedia it says Lucy grated on Burton''s nerves because she was such a perfectionist and he wrote unflattering things about her in his book. I will have to look at Sam''s and see if they have that set of DVD''s for sale. I love that a gorgeous diamond was featured on a TV show.
36.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What gemstone did the Vikings use to help them find directions on the open sea?

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
Ahhh, what a fascinating question!

First, I began thinking about "older" gemstones that were around during viking times, and, then, gems that could have been known to Vikings (this one is harder to figure out because the Vikings had access to so many of the world''s lands and riches... both man made and natural). Then, considering sea navigation, I tried to think of gems from the original group that have magnetic qualities... gems containing iron, for example. Maybe something like almandine garnet? However, this "magnetic" line of thinking doesn''t work because the Vikings were navigating BEFORE the magnetic compass was used. Scrap that.

So, if it isn''t an older gem with magnetic qualities, I must be looking for an older gem with some sort of optic qualities, because sea navigation back then was done via the skies and the location of the sun and stars (coupled with whatever was known about currents and prevailing winds). So, the mystery gem is either something that enables one to see objects better (something clear that could magnify – goshenite, perhaps?) or something that helps navigators figure out where the sun is... I''m not sure how. At this point in my thinking, I threw up my hands!

I admit, I''ve now googled. I THINK I have the answer, but, from what I''ve found at a quick google glance, there is no known clear-cut answer. Maybe someone else can find it? Marcyc, I have only a google guess and, since I cheated, I''m keeping it to myself. If no one else has the info, I''m dying to hear your answer!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/14/2009 4:37:37 PM
Ahhh, what a fascinating question!

First, I began thinking about ''older'' gemstones that were around during viking times, and, then, gems that could have been known to Vikings (this one is harder to figure out because the Vikings had access to so many of the world''s lands and riches... both man made and natural). Then, considering sea navigation, I tried to think of gems from the original group that have magnetic qualities... gems containing iron, for example. Maybe something like almandine garnet? However, this ''magnetic'' line of thinking doesn''t work because the Vikings were navigating BEFORE the magnetic compass was used. Scrap that.

So, if it isn''t an older gem with magnetic qualities, I must be looking for an older gem with some sort of optic qualities, because sea navigation back then was done via the skies and the location of the sun and stars (coupled with whatever was known about currents and prevailing winds). So, the mystery gem is either something that enables one to see objects better (something clear that could magnify – goshenite, perhaps?) or something that helps navigators figure out where the sun is... I''m not sure how. At this point in my thinking, I threw up my hands!

I admit, I''ve now googled. I THINK I have the answer, but, from what I''ve found at a quick google glance, there is no known clear-cut answer. Maybe someone else can find it? Marcyc, I have only a google guess and, since I cheated, I''m keeping it to myself. If no one else has the info, I''m dying to hear your answer!
Rockit, I like your thought processes. Yes it was something that helped them locate the sun. You probably did find the answer.
36.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess one shouldn''t thumb one''s nose at iolite.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/15/2009 12:14:07 AM
I guess one shouldn''t thumb one''s nose at iolite.
That''s it. The Vikings used iolite to locate the sun on cloudy days.
1.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
6/15/2009 7:52:37 AM

Date:
6/15/2009 12:14:07 AM

I guess one shouldn't thumb one's nose at iolite.
That's it. The Vikings used iolite to locate the sun on cloudy days.
1.gif

OK...I know iolite is dark blue, but why does that make it work better than another gem on a cloudy day?

AGBF
34.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its trichroism somehow lets it act as a filter.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am going for my Gemologist degree with GIA. I have some great questions if you are interested. Let me know.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bring ''em on!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 10:30:53 PM
Author: Kaleigh
I am going for my Gemologist degree with GIA. I have some great questions if you are interested. Let me know.
Oh goodie!This is gonna be all sorts of fun!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why was Evalyn Walsh McLean known as being less respectful to the Hope Diamond.

You have to list two reasons...

( I know most of you are into colored stones, and am not there yet... That is a few courses away but have lots of great diamond and jewelry questions.. We'll see how it goes!! )

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
No going on Google!!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/15/2009 10:01:26 PM
Its trichroism somehow lets it act as a filter.
Thanks Harriet. Here is what wikipedia says: How cool the Vikings figured this out.

because of its ability to determine the direction of the sun on overcast days. This works by determining the direction of polarization of the sky overhead. Light scattered by air molecules is polarized, and the direction of the polarization is at right angles to a line to the sun, even when the sun''s disk itself is obscured by dense fog or lies just below the horizon.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/15/2009 11:00:25 PM
No going on Google!!!
Great question Lisa. Can I try somewhere else?
11.gif

How wonderful you are working on your GG.
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 11:01:14 PM

Date: 6/15/2009 11:00:25 PM
No going on Google!!!
Great question Lisa. Can I try somewhere else?
11.gif

How wonderful you are working on your GG.
36.gif
I will not be getting my GG, I will be a Gemologist for the GG you have to attend labs and I don''t want to travel for that.

Ok go ahead and Google.
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results