shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone interested in a new quiz thread?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Anyone...glitterata,Harriet, OldManCoyote,... interested in resurrecting the jewelry quiz question thread?
Heres another question for those who want to play:
What UN-USUAL style of jewelry did Cartier embrace and make popular in the 1930s?(Okay the style actually started in the late 1920s).
will give hints if neeed!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ll play. I believe that the rule is that one may not look up the answer, correct? I am not an old jewelry aficionado like the others who usually play. I can only go by the clues of history. The 1920''s were a very flush era, but in in 1929 the stock market crashed in the United States. The entire world was affected. By 1929-but not earlier in the late 1920''s-the economy was sinking. In the 1930''s it continued to sink. What jewelry item(s) might have been sold either during the very flush 1920''s or the Depression era in France? At Cartier in the United States?

Men were wearing button down shirts routinely, even working men. Did they wear cuff links? But how would that be unusual? Were people wearing hip flasks on some kind of jeweled clip so that they could carry contraband alcohol? I am running out of theories! I am ready for hints!

AGBF
34.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Was it the introduction of the whole Panther theme line of jewelry?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tutti Frutti?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
--

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
You got there first, Harriet.

If it''s not that, I think we are ready for a clue...

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like someone who wandered out onto a soccer field wearing hockey skates. I am not even playing the same game :(.

AGBF
34.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2009 11:05:01 PM
Author: Harriet
Tutti Frutti?
Harriet!You are .....right!The style is also called Mogal style and was made popular because of the Indian Royality that were en-trusting Cartier to redesign their antique Royal jewels into the newer Art deco styles....many of their gems were large carved rubies,sapphires and emeralds that were more organic in feel.Also there was the British Royals and Goverment officials that owned old carved large gems that they recieved while India was under British rule(until 1947 I believe)The style stayed popular until just after the second world war.Who has the next question?
AGBF....You are in the game!I liked your answer and hope you will come up with questions for us to answer!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
6/1/2009 11:14:58 AM
Author: jewelerman

AGBF....You are in the game!I liked your answer and hope you will come up with questions for us to answer!
jewelerman, Thank you for giving me a way to remain in the game! I suspect that asking a question may be the only way in which I will be able to participate, given my woeful ignorance of the great jewelry houses about which the rest of you know so much! I have posted my question in this thread.

AGBF
34.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
next question....
Which famous Haute Couture fashion house dosnt offer fine jewelry?
1-Chanel
2-Gucci
3-Prada

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
Prada?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
6/2/2009 11:37:42 AM

next question....
Which famous Haute Couture fashion house dosnt offer fine jewelry?
1-Chanel
2-Gucci
3-Prada

I'm going to agree with Honey. A few days ago I saw some Chanel earrings on my 20 year-old niece who said they were her only designer pieces and that she had saved up to buy them. I don't remember seeing any Gucci jewelry, but I am pretty sure I have seen Gucci watches. By the process of elimination, that would leave Prada. Besides, if Prada made jewelry, why wouldn't I have seen any of it? Unless it were ugly, perhaps....

AGBF
34.gif

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
The snobbish answer is that none of them makes "fine" jewelry, though Chanel in the 50s certainly did (anyone remembers the "Diana" bracelets designed by Verdura?)...
11.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Si, mio amico.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2009 1:24:50 PM
Author: oldmancoyote
The snobbish answer is that none of them makes ''fine'' jewelry, though Chanel in the 50s certainly did (anyone remembers the ''Diana'' bracelets designed by Verdura?)...
11.gif
I am a big fan of early Verdura!The designs from the 40s are classic.
The answer is ....Prada....they just introduced a costume jewelry line in November,but no fine jewels...the other two houses have fine jewels made of precious metals and gems that go into the many thousands.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about contemporary Verdura? Meh?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
6/2/2009 1:35:26 PM

Si, mio amico.

"amico mio" o "amico caro" o "caro amico"....

AGBF
17.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks like I need that Rosetta Stone software.
2.gif

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/2/2009 1:46:39 PM
More like "mah" (Italian for "who knows?"). The designs are Duke Fulco''s and I have no doubt the craftsmanship is pretty good. However, it''s a bit like post-1980 David Webb: it''s a consistent style but without "life" or innovation.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
6/2/2009 2:19:25 PM

2.gif

Anche io, cara mia! (Me, too, girlfriend!)

Deb
34.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2009 3:46:15 PM
Author: oldmancoyote

Date: 6/2/2009 1:46:39 PM
More like ''mah'' (Italian for ''who knows?''). The designs are Duke Fulco''s and I have no doubt the craftsmanship is pretty good. However, it''s a bit like post-1980 David Webb: it''s a consistent style but without ''life'' or innovation.
i must agree that the older pieces seem to have something that the new pieces dont capture in the modern manufacture...OMC...you and i seem share the same tastes and ideas in design...I think the early works of David webb were brilliant(the animal bangles for example...BTY...great examples are shown in Liz Talors book)

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Who has the next question?....How about this one for now until someone thinks up a real gang buster....
Why did Queen Victoria incorperate the coiled serpant design in her engagement/wedding ring?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
6/2/2009 6:23:27 PM

Why did Queen Victoria incorperate the coiled serpant design in her engagement/wedding ring?

Ok...time for speculation, since it is I who am typing and that is all I ever seem to do in this thread ;-). Her Majesty was a prude, but she was not, to my knowledge, a religious zealot. Therefore I am scrapping the notion that the serpent was a warning not to allow the serpent into the Garden of Eden that is marriage. (Yeah, that is the first thought that occurred to me!) I am now wondering if the serpent is a symbol of the marriage or a symbol either of the British Empire or of her fiancé, Albert's, home state. He was some kind of German, was he not? :)

AGBF
34.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2009 5:28:38 PM
Author: AGBF

Date:
6/2/2009 2:19:25 PM

2.gif

Anche io, cara mia! (Me, too, girlfriend!)

Deb
34.gif
I just priced it!
6.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deb, we may be saying the same thing. I think the serpent was a Roman symbol for eternity.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is way out of my league as the only answer I know is Prada not into the fine jewellery business.
emembarrassed.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
My contribution:
Which house created the minaudiere? What did it replace?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am ashamed to admit I don''t know the answers to any of these either.
39.gif
I feel like I should go back to basics like what color is rhodolite?
9.gif
Just kidding. Keep the questions coming.
36.gif

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/2/2009 8:26:22 PM
Deb, we may be saying the same thing. I think the serpent was a Roman symbol for eternity.

I'll third this. The snakes are biting each other's tails and symbolize eternity (remember it in The Neverending Story? Heehee.) I remember a discussion about it in the Royal Jewels thread and that this motif cropped up in a couple of different civilizations.

Marcyc, a couple of months ago, I wouldn't have known what color rhodolite was. Is there no gemstone trivia in these quiz threads?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2009 6:23:27 PM
Who has the next question?....How about this one for now until someone thinks up a real gang buster....

Doesn''t it symbolize eternal love?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results