shape
carat
color
clarity

*New Jewelry Quiz*

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I decided to pick up the gauntlet and agree to jewelerman's request that I participate by posing a question. I doubt that it will be too difficult for you! The pieces in the photograph below belonged to my late mother. They were purchased at Georg Jensen Inc 667 Fifth Avenue, New York. They are from the "Acorn in Silhouette" collection. In what year did that collection appear?

AGBF
34.gif

AcornInSilhouette.jpg

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
I can't go much further than "somewhere in the 1905-1915 decade" for the pattern without looking it up. As far as the collection goes, I have no idea, but I will guess mid 1950s.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I agree vwith OMC...The jewelry is the style popular in the 1910-15- ish period...the shield pattern,the moonstone,the naturalism,all factors that make me want to say early 20th century.Goods question and I like the use of photos!
BTY...i dont think that research to learn the correct answers is off limits....members have mentioned that they learn alot from the interaction....the quiz question is to create discussion and not for just the jewelry educated.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your replies oldmancoyote and jewelerman; you were both right on target for when the design was introduced. I have to correct something I wrote. The basic design from which the design on these jewelry pieces was derived was simply, "Acorn" (not "Acorn in Silhouette", which is a caption I saw in a book on Georg Jensen silver).

The "Acorn" (Konge) pattern for flatware was designed in 1915 by Johan Rohde and introduced in 1916 by Georg Jensen. It is their best known and most popular sterling flatware pattern and is still being produced. The pin, I believe, was made in 1944. One that is nearly identical appears in a book with jewelry introduced in 1944. That would make its production smack in the middle of World War II when there was no communication between Georg Jensen in Copenhagen and Georg Jensen in New York where this pin was produced.

Interesting that the flatware was designed during World War I (1914-1918) isn't it?

Thank you both for playing!

AGBF
34.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2009 7:08:09 PM
Author: AGBF

Thanks for your replies oldmancoyote and jewelerman; you were both right on target for when the design was introduced. I have to correct something I wrote. The basic design from which the design on these jewelry pieces was derived was simply, ''Acorn'' (not ''Acorn in Silhouette'', which is a caption I saw in a book on Georg Jensen silver).

The ''Acorn'' (Konge) pattern for flatware was designed in 1915 by Johan Rohde and introduced in 1916 by Georg Jensen. It is their best known and most popular sterling flatware pattern and is still being produced. The pin, I believe, was made in 1944. One that is nearly identical appears in a book with jewelry introduced in 1944. That would make its production smack in the middle of World War II when there was no communication between Georg Jensen in Copenhagen and Georg Jensen in New York where this pin was produced.

Interesting that the flatware was designed during World War I (1914-1918) isn''t it?

Thank you both for playing!

AGBF
34.gif
i will bet that the pins design was originally introduced in the early 1900 and was re-introduced in the 1940s when this style jewely became popular again in the states in the 1940s...or it was never discontinued.Next question!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results