shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone interested in a new quiz thread?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2009 11:56:31 PM
Author: Harriet
My contribution:
Which house created the minaudiere? What did it replace?
Harriet...great question!I had to cheat and look up the word...but when i found out it was a gem encrusted case then i knew how to answer...I say that its was either cartier or tiffany that created this jewelry item...before the first world war few women wore makeup(considered mainly used by women of questionable taste and virtue)but after the war into the early 1920s that changed and the case was designed to be carried to dinner or night clubs for re-application of cosmetics...its replaced a large handbag is my guess....the deco cases with coral,jade,lapis inlays by cartier are the best example in my opinion!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2009 6:23:27 PM
Author: jewelerman
Who has the next question?....How about this one for now until someone thinks up a real gang buster....
Why did Queen Victoria incorperate the coiled serpant design in her engagement/wedding ring?
Those who said that it represents eternity are correct...used since ancient times.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2009 11:27:17 AM

Date: 6/2/2009 11:56:31 PM
My contribution:
Which house created the minaudiere? What did it replace?
Harriet...great question!I had to cheat and look up the word...but when i found out it was a gem encrusted case then i knew how to answer...I say that its was either cartier or tiffany that created this jewelry item...before the first world war few women wore makeup(considered mainly used by women of questionable taste and virtue)but after the war into the early 1920s that changed and the case was designed to be carried to dinner or night clubs for re-application of cosmetics...its replaced a large handbag is my guess....the deco cases with coral,jade,lapis inlays by cartier are the best example in my opinion!
Second try?
1.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Like you are totally kidding...right....Okay Im going to have to wait and see what the others like OMC have to say....Is it a French House that your thinking about....

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
VC & A. The legend goes that it was so called ("simperette", "little whining") because Alfred used to refer in that way to the wife''s evening bag (as in "she''s always whining she wants a new one")... so in a sense it replaced Estelle Arpels''s evening bag. But I suspect jewelerman is correct in more practical if less "romantic" terms...

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Look at that--I go away for a few days and I miss all the fun! But I wouldn''t have gotten any of the questions about the great jewelry houses, since I know very little about them or about post-WW1 jewelry. It''s fun to read the questions and the answers.

Here''s a Victorian question: Why were pearls popular in mourning jewelry?

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Because they were a simbol of pain and tears, being created by the oyster through "pain" caused by an irritant (in Victorian times a natural irritant, then Mr Mikimoto came along and the oysters have been regretting it ever since
2.gif
)

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Go Mr. Coyote!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Good AnswerOMC!also in the case of a childs passing it represents the loss of some one who was innocent and pure(like heaven).

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Okay....next question...In American Indian jewelry...What does Turquoise and coral represent.for more points...when has most of the coral used in American Indian Jewelry originated.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I''m not going to guess, but I''m looking forward to learning the answer.

But Jewelerman, here''s something I''ve been wondering for months: It seems like you always put ...''s between sentences instead of using spaces. Is that a personal writing style thing or a keyboard issue?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Should OMC be allowed to play?
2.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Umm, turquoise was used to represent the social status and also believed to protect the wearer from harm? Another I've heard is that the blue of the turquoise is said to represent the sky and has the power to make someone attractive or desirable.

As for the coral, I have no idea.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
North American "native" coral is all fossil, but I have no idea about the age. It could be from 100,000 years ago or it could be from several million years ago. About 75 million years ago there was a warm sea where now is the belt of states running from TX through Montana up to Alberta and the NW territory...

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2009 4:30:25 AM
Author: oldmancoyote
North American ''native'' coral is all fossil, but I have no idea about the age. It could be from 100,000 years ago or it could be from several million years ago. About 75 million years ago there was a warm sea where now is the belt of states running from TX through Montana up to Alberta and the NW territory...
I just re-read my post and found that I should have written Where does the coral originate rather then when it originated.OMC''S answer to that most difficult question was impressive.The answer I was looking for is(drum roll)...Turquiose represents the sky and coral represents water.The source of the coral is from the Mediterranean Sea,brought to the United Stated via traders.The deep color of the Ox blood coral has been the most popular color with the American Indian and poor quality coral is dyed to copy the color of the deep red ox blood.Sorry for the typing error everyone.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
What ,No new question to keep the thread going!?
Next Question...
How about one for the wath obsessed.
What popular movie character wore Rolex in the 50s,Seiko in the 70s and currently sports Omega to save the world from the bad guys?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
James Bond?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/7/2009 9:26:57 PM
James Bond?
Ooh, I finally knew one and Harriet beat me to it.
9.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
okay that was fast...who has next question?
While we wait to a really good one how about this one because the Tony awards are currently one right now and Elton John opened the show.
What famous jeweler did Elton promote in the 70s and 80s by wearing their jewelry on talk shows,on album covers and going on shopping sprees in their stores with the press in tow?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chopard?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Grace Kelly's second engagement ring from Prince Rainier was a 10.47 carat EC ring flanked by 2 baguettes. What was her first engagement ring?

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2009 12:31:11 AM
Author: marcyc
Chopard?
Chopard is a good answer,but its cartier is who Elton wore in the 1970s.The Grace Kelly question is brilliant.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2009 1:30:26 PM

Date: 6/10/2009 12:31:11 AM
Chopard?
Chopard is a good answer,but its cartier is who Elton wore in the 1970s.The Grace Kelly question is brilliant.
So I had to cheat and do some research about the first ring given her by the prince.Very Interesting!I wont give it away.And since we are on the topic of Grace Kelly(one of my favorites)I have two quiz questions that deal with Grace Kelly...one easy and one for die hard diamond fans.Bit first lets hear about Grace Kelly''s first ring!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/10/2009 12:45:09 AM
Grace Kelly''s second engagement ring from Prince Rainier was a 10.47 carat EC ring flanked by 2 baguettes. What was her first engagement ring?
I was told at the Cartier exhibition that it was an eternity band. When the couple came to the US, Prince Rainier found that American engagement rings were blingier. So, he bought her the emerald-cut, along with a big sapphire ring.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
According to the piece i found,the pre-engagement ring was ruby and diamond.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Another Grace Kelly Question.
She recieved a necklace and matching earrings to wear on her wedding day from her prince.What two gemstones made up the set?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AH HAH! Diamonds & pearls - I know this one only because my mom was obsessed with the pics when I was a youngun and I vividly remember her going on and on.....

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2009 12:08:15 AM
According to the piece i found,the pre-engagement ring was ruby and diamond.
Cartier lied.
29.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2009 3:07:07 PM
Author: Matata
AH HAH! Diamonds & pearls - I know this one only because my mom was obsessed with the pics when I was a youngun and I vividly remember her going on and on.....
very good!The set was pearl and diamond earrings with a matching pearl and diamond choker.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results