shape
carat
color
clarity

Any Opal lovers out there? Show and Tell please.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Can’t figure out how to classify the pair, definitely not white but tone is still…nowhere near dark?… Might take it down to the Opal cutters if I buy the semi-black pair to see and compare. Again, being a shallow kid worrying more about label than what my eyes like.

Dark Crystal Opal is what it looks like to my eye, my guess is the Opals will be quite transparent when held up to a light source but there's a dark tint to the crystal that would be in the N5-6 grade, once it hits N4 or darker it becomes Black Crystal Opal. Think of it kind of like the window tinting on your car.

I've had Black Crystal Opal grade at an N1 and look completely opaque in hand, but still let light through from a light source.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
Many of them look…dark? What have I been looking at all this time, I thought white opal tone is like the one heart-shaped stone @bright&shiny put up on 25th of May…

The heart is Australian crystal opal, so not dark. Probably N3 brightness.

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
Dark Crystal Opal is what it looks like to my eye, my guess is the Opals will be quite transparent when held up to a light source but there's a dark tint to the crystal that would be in the N5-6 grade, once it hits N4 or darker it becomes Black Crystal Opal. Think of it kind of like the window tinting on your car.

I've had Black Crystal Opal grade at an N1 and look completely opaque in hand, but still let light through from a light source.

Everything being equal, dark crystal opal vs dark (Boulder) opal of similar value?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since it’s October and the month of opals (and tourmaline), would like to share my new to me Mexican fire opal ring.

Happy birthday to all the October babies!

7C481790-B0D7-49BD-99ED-B35B147E5141.jpeg F7A72A61-7754-4122-91C6-88C1A109ADEE.jpeg 42FB6EDB-E91B-4EF5-B23B-680329E71514.jpeg A602CB27-B467-48A3-801E-C640C6EE9D86.jpeg

i love the orange im seeing

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Everything being equal, dark crystal opal vs dark (Boulder) opal of similar value?

Yes dark crystal and dark will be of similar value with all other things being equal, colour is more important than anything and while body tone can affect prices when it becomes really dark Black Opal - a slight variation in translucency won't affect price when the body tones are similar.

Boulder Opal is different again altogether, it tends to be cheaper per carat than the Opal from places like Lightning Ridge and Coober Pedy

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To close the loop, DK made this ring for me last April (see page 17 of this thread).

1638067068899.png

Even though it is exactly what I asked for, I just never wore it. I found I didn't like the rose gold on me, and I didn't really care for the vertical orientation on my finger, and the stones seemed lost in the detailed setting ...

Last month I asked DK to put it in 14kt YG in a classic horizontal bezel band. Now it looks like this:

1638066944047.png

I am so happy with the re-vamp. IRL all 3 gemstones really stand out so much more in this setting, and its very wearable. I love me a bezel band!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To close the loop, DK made this ring for me last April (see page 17 of this thread).

1638067068899.png

Even though it is exactly what I asked for, I just never wore it. I found I didn't like the rose gold on me, and I didn't really care for the vertical orientation on my finger, and the stones seemed lost in the detailed setting ...

Last month I asked DK to put it in 14kt YG in a classic horizontal bezel band. Now it looks like this:

1638066944047.png

I am so happy with the re-vamp. IRL all 3 gemstones really stand out so much more in this setting, and its very wearable. I love me a bezel band!

I'm not typically a bezel fan, but this ring captures your stones brilliantly. Good for you for taking the re-design risk to be true to your heart, Well done!

LuluUFO

Rough_Rock
OMG :kiss2: More please!
Came to this forum to ask for advice about my (skewed) opal ring and found this thread. Hope it’s still active! I’ve heard from different jeweller/dealers that people don’t like opal that much. I can’t grasp why, they are mesmerising. So happy to see I’m not the only fan. Here’s my contribution, Australian opal (dark flower pattern crystal?) halo type setting gold ring and Welo opal (white patchwork pattern?) silver ring.

8DE646BA-3983-4639-BD42-8F45BC2B243C.jpeg

Last edited:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous opal pieces! I am one that happens to love opals. I know there are many people that believe that opals bring bad luck. Thankfully I don't believe in that and I wear mine all the time. The more people that believe that the more opals there are available for me to find! LOL

LuluUFO

Rough_Rock
Saw your collection (Octopus right?) Absolutely gorgeous!
Any new addition?

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Saw your collection (Octopus right?) Absolutely gorgeous!
Any new addition?

Yes, octopus among others. I don't remember if I posted this one to this thread. If I did, sorry for the repeat!

This is a vintage piece I picked up from my favorite little jewelry store on Sanibel Island. Sadly, I don't even know if it's there anymore.

IMG_1835 (002).jpg

LuluUFO

Rough_Rock
That’s so beautiful. :kiss2: Thank you for sharing!

Mondayschild

Shiny_Rock
The previous ring I posted (a few years ago now!) - my mum loved and so I gifted it to her.

I began really wanting an opal of my own - so I decided on this one below which will be in silver bezel pendant. I know it isn't the traditional 'face up' colour brilliance but there's just something magical to me about the flashes (and colour of those), the lines (chaff pattern) I couldn't stop looking at it.

BLACK OPAL 2.21 cts

Sydneyphoenix

Shiny_Rock
What’s your budget like, maybe have a look at something like this?

Mondayschild

Shiny_Rock
What’s your budget like, maybe have a look at something like this?

@Sydneyphoenix - is this in response to my post ? I was linking an opal I had already selected & purchased above.

cocotate

Rough_Rock
The previous ring I posted (a few years ago now!) - my mum loved and so I gifted it to her.

I began really wanting an opal of my own - so I decided on this one below which will be in silver bezel pendant. I know it isn't the traditional 'face up' colour brilliance but there's just something magical to me about the flashes (and colour of those), the lines (chaff pattern) I couldn't stop looking at it.

BLACK OPAL 2.21 cts

Hi @Mondayschild,

Have you received the opal yet? How are you liking it?

Mondayschild

Shiny_Rock
thanks @cocotate - it just shipped today! The company get a jeweller to set it into a pendant for me - will post pics when I get it (hopefully Friday) xx

cocotate

Rough_Rock
thanks @cocotate - it just shipped today! The company get a jeweller to set it into a pendant for me - will post pics when I get it (hopefully Friday) xx

Oh.so you never saw the opal in person but getting it set and shipped to you? With opals that’s a huge gamble, but I really hope you love it and can’t wait to see the photos!

SandraLynn

Shiny_Rock
Could use a cleaning.…Sterling silver with an opal shell. I picked this up over seas. it’s actually a pin but also has a loop for pendant wear. It’s heavy. Ring box for size compariso. 4A40B361-7ADF-401C-8795-3122C629C2E0.jpeg
EE1FAA15-CA9A-4500-A342-0C01466B9DB3.jpeg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could use a cleaning.…Sterling silver with an opal shell. I picked this up over seas. it’s actually a pin but also has a loop for pendant wear. It’s heavy. Ring box for size compariso. 4A40B361-7ADF-401C-8795-3122C629C2E0.jpeg
EE1FAA15-CA9A-4500-A342-0C01466B9DB3.jpeg

Oh I LOVE him!

SandraLynn

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Michelle! I've never actually worn him. I’m too afraid to loose it as a pin and as a pendant I feel it would be so heavy. It was a pretty penny too. B95BA7CE-FA32-4AE9-95EC-09F3D57689F4.jpeg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Michelle! I've never actually worn him. I’m too afraid to loose it as a pin and as a pendant I feel it would be so heavy. It was a pretty penny too. B95BA7CE-FA32-4AE9-95EC-09F3D57689F4.jpeg

Oh you should wear him! When I am afraid of losing a pin or brooch I use an old earring backing to secure it. Put it on the pin before the clasp and it will make it secure.

IMG_2167 (002).jpg

SandraLynn

Shiny_Rock
Oh you should wear him! When I am afraid of losing a pin or brooch I use an old earring backing to secure it. Put it on the pin before the clasp and it will make it secure.

IMG_2167 (002).jpg

Dang, I haven’t thought of that. Thanks a lot. That gives me more confidence to bring him out. Now I feel he needs a name Lol. Any suggestions? Your piece is beautiful. I think it would look stunning on a nice black blouse.

Last edited:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dang, I haven’t thought of that. Thanks a lot. That gives me more confidence to bring him out. Now I feel he needs a name Lol. Any suggestions? Your piece reminds me of something my great grandmother would have worn. I think it would look stunning on a nice black blouse.

Glad to help! I'm not good at names so I wouldn't begin to know what to name him, lol.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
GOOD NEWS!

My son opened his eyes last night and spoke my wife's name!

The neurologist say's that is a very good sign and with some work my son may regain his brain function totally in time but not 100% sure.

Thanks to all you for your kind wishes and thoughts and prayers!

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock

What a great suggestion @Catmom. I’ve often worried about losing a brooch, but no more !

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
GOOD NEWS!

The neurologist say's that is a very good sign and with some work my son may regain his brain function totally in time but not 100% sure.

Good news indeed! Best wishes to your family and to your son for continued recovery

cocotate

Rough_Rock
GOOD NEWS!

Thank Goodness @fredflinstone! I'm so relieved for your family!!!

btw, guess who's the new owner of the "killer opal?" Another added to "My Precious" collection and matches my other stones, just much much bigger.

EPeregrina1.jpg

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
GOOD NEWS!

Oh my gosh, I just saw this and read your messages in the other thread! I’m sorry for what your son went through and am so happy for this positive development!!! Sending wishes for his continued recovery!

(Edited for clarity)

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results