shape
carat
color
clarity

Any Gulf Coast folks?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I have been worried about my bulldogs going too far to the back of my property because it drops off and floods back there (wetlands and overflow from the bayou and the lake cattycorner to my house). The snakes will come. I tend to just leave them alone, but once a copperhead came up to the patio and curled up in defense mode.... had to dispatch it.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no! Look at our forecast
IMG_1662.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gaters, poisonous snakes, floating mats of fire ants, flood water contaminated with human waste and other bad stuff, people crammed in shelters with inadequate sanitary facilities, limited ways for people to get prescription drugs. The cascading effects of this disaster are astronomical.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to make a donation but there are so many organizations out there. Any thoughts on the best one to give money to so it will actually help?

ETA: money seem like a completely inadequate response here... but honestly I don't know what else to do.

ETA ETA: I'm seeing several options that will provide matching funds, which is my preference.

Last edited:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to make a donation but there are so many organizations out there. Any thoughts on the best one to give money to so it will actually help?

ETA: money seem like a completely inadequate response here... but honestly I don't know what else to do.

We gave to The American Red Cross. I think it's one of the best. They respond quickly. They helped me in my time if need.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Bonfire.

This link says Google is matching up to $1 million, and it looks like the recipient is the Red Cross.

https://www.google.org/harvey-relief/

This seems like a good choice then, yes?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And sorry to be such a moron about this, but I read so many stories about donations going to fund bloated overhead or other stuff like that in "charitable" organizations and very little of the % donated actually getting to the people who need help.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not sure what is a reliable organization but I would probably go with red cross.

I am still here watching the rain. Will accept bling if you really feel the need!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not red cross, they have burned bridges here throwing out food and water donations when baton rouge flooded.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dee*Jay my charity of choice is usually Salvation Army. They do lots for folks.
If you want to do something specific to Texas, They have individual food banks that work together as a network. Feeding Texas works with all the food banks in texas to help get food to those who need it most.

Red Cross is also a good idea. If you go with one that's matching like google or facebook, be careful that you 're on that page because there are heartless people that have no problems using someone else's tragedy to make a quick buck.

@whitewave, I did not know that. Sad that any charity would, I wonder what the backstory was behind pitching the food/water.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dee*Jay We gave to the Red Cross yesterday. I figured this would be a safe charity and would be helping those in need. There was a drop down menu that let you pick Hurricane Harvey for your donation.

Now after reading @whitewave comments I'm wondering if we gave to the correct charity.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is unbelievable. Houston.

Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 2.46.45 PM.png

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still think The Red Cross is one of the better charities for this type of disaster relief. I think you can donate and feel reasonably confident it's going where you want it. I like what.@Matata just posted too! Lots of ways to give.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel overwhelmed. I've just clicked through a ton of options and it's just depresses me to know that I don't have enough money to make a real difference to anyone...

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
it's just depresses me to know that I don't have enough money to make a real difference to anyone...
Dee*Jay -- a single blanket is a miracle gift to many down there as is bottled water. It doesn't take much to improve someone's life when they've lost literally everything. Whatever you can give WILL improve the comfort, safety, health of more than one individual.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I felt the same way @Dee*Jay and I know your comment is true @Matata but when you see so many people hurting you wish you could do so much more. I told my husband this weekend that I wished we had won that powerball lottery. That money could help so many.

@Matata I figured the money going to Hurricane Harvey would also go to help those in Rockport.

Last edited:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anyone heard of any organizations where you can drop off clothes for hurricane victims?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

It can be a confusing time where to provide donations. I always give to Local food banks--not for profits. Salvation Army is also high on my list. Red Cross because they have a well oiled machine and get on the ground quickly...and while that doesn't come without some cost....the infrastructure they provide support helps others at a micro level....

Thing is to provide something. No guilt in a decision to help provide AID.

cheers--Sharon

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dee*Jay my charity of choice is usually Salvation Army. They do lots for folks.
If you want to do something specific to Texas, They have individual food banks that work together as a network. Feeding Texas works with all the food banks in texas to help get food to those who need it most.

Red Cross is also a good idea. If you go with one that's matching like google or facebook, be careful that you 're on that page because there are heartless people that have no problems using someone else's tragedy to make a quick buck.

@whitewave, I did not know that. Sad that any charity would, I wonder what the backstory was behind pitching the food/water.

Supposedly, vendors have to bid for contracts with them to supply food and water. In Baton Rouge, businesses donated food and red cross threw it all away because it wasn't from their contracted suppliers.

There are photos. I would try and find a link but apparently I have developed some kind of swamp fever and am going down fast. :(2

Nevermind, I found a quick link: http://www.wwltv.com/weather/floodi...o-criticism-over-shelter-operations/305159943

ETA: I suppose it is possible it was also a facebook rumor.

Last edited:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave I hope LA is nothing like here. My kids have been out since Friday and probably won't go back until mid next week at the earliest. Good news though - THE SUN IS SHINING! !!!!!!!!

here is a pic of our friend paddle boarding from our house to check on his house

20170829_094509.jpg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave I hope LA is nothing like here. My kids have been out since Friday and probably won't go back until mid next week at the earliest. Good news though - THE SUN IS SHINING! !!!!!!!!

here is a pic of our friend paddle boarding from our house to check on his house

20170829_094509.jpg

I just got the school board phone call... it said school is closed "until further notice" :shock: I just sent my college son to the grocery before it gets any worse.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got the school board phone call... it said school is closed "until further notice" :shock:
:eek-2:
Advil and vodka, essential natural disaster survival kit contents.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shit, my vodka is gone! And just a swallow of jagermeister (my favorite lol) was left and my son isn't 21 yet so he can't buy it!....

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shit, my vodka is gone! And just a swallow of jagermeister (my favorite lol) was left and my son isn't 21 yet so he can't buy it!....
Jump on your friend's paddle board and get thee some juice!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is bad news-- son just got back from the grocery and said the highway is flooding.... that never happens. My new bulldog is barking like crazy at nothing we can see... strange. I'm starting to get weirded out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results