shape
carat
color
clarity

Any amazing crockpot ideas/recipes out there?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Ries, that sounds like fun, haha!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Today I am going to make that beef stew my kids have been begging me for. Now do I use good red wine or can I just use the cooking red wine???

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I''d use good red wine. I never use anything that isn''t worth drinking by itself.

widget

Ideal_Rock
I''d use cooking red wine and save the good stuff for drinking. I never "murder" good wine in stews and such by cooking it for hours on end.

widget

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks. I think I''ll use the cooking wine, since I''d have to open a brand new bottle of our good stuff.
31.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2005 11:04:46 AM
Author: sevens one
Oh wow- I think I''m going to have to buy one now. (I''m surprised we don''t already have one)
I''m chiming in late on this thread, but I love crockpot cooking. I can''t believe with a family of 9 you don''t have a crockpot, Nan. This would definitely make mealtime a breeze for you.

My husband makes the most incredible venison chilli in ours -- that is if you are into game of course. Today, since it''s getting a little chilly here on the east coast, I''m making chuck roast with baby red potatoes and carrots. I just toss it all in with Lipton''s onion soup mix and a can of cream of mushroom soup. Yes, it''s kinda fatty but mmmmmmmm gooooooood comfort food.
2.gif

I''ll have to try doing a chicken. I''ve never though about that before. We''re addicted to the roasted chickens we can get at our grocery store, so maybe the crockpot chicken will be a nice change.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think Nan would need 2 crockpots for her big family. Wonder if they sell really big ones??

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: kaleigh
I think Nan would need 2 crockpots for her big family. Wonder if they sell really big ones??
I''m shocked, too! Nan NEEDS one!
9.gif

It looks to me as if most are 6-qt capacity...but there are bigger ones...here''re two:

893sqw.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh''s kids are happy. The beef stew was delicious!!! If I do say so myself!! Lol!!!
3.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/23/2005 6:37:05 PM
Kaleigh''s kids are happy. The beef stew was delicious!!! If I do say so myself!! Lol!!!
3.gif

Kaleigh,

Did you use the recipe you posted, the one about which you asked for feedback? (If you used something not yet posted, please post!)

Deb

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Here''s another crockpot recipe...one that is actually low in fat.

Winter Lentil Vegetable Soup
This soup has very little fat, is cheap and easy to make
and delicious. Our family practically lives on it in the
winter and I usually double the recipe. Sprinkle grated
cheddar on top if you wish. If you can''t hang around long
enough for this to cook, put it in a slow cooker. Prep Time:
approx. 20 Minutes. Cook Time: approx. 1 Hour 30 Minutes.
Ready in: approx. 3 Hours . Makes 6 - 1 cup servings.
Printed from Allrecipes, Submitted by Cecile Leverman

1/2 cup red or green lentils1 cup chopped onion
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 cups shredded cabbage
1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, chopped (or 2 14 oz cans diced tomatos)
3 cups chicken broth
3 carrots, chopped 1 clove garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon curry powder
Directions
1 Place the lentils into a stockpot or a Dutch oven and
add water to twice the depth of the lentils. Bring to a
boil, then lower heat and let simmer for about 15 minutes.
Drain and rinse lentils; return them to the pot. You can skip this step for crockpot cooking.
2 Add onion, celery, cabbage, tomatoes, chicken broth,
carrots and garlic to the pot and season with salt, pepper,
sugar, basil, thyme and curry. Cook, simmering for 1 1/2 to 2
hours or until desired tenderness is achieved. If doing all crockpot cooking probably 4-6 hours.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your recipes, IslandDreams. I have not yet tried any recipes I found on Pricescope, but I LOVE having some that have been prepared and enjoyed by real people!!

PS-I could have sworn you had another recipe in this thread, but I was wrong. The one I was remembering was in the recipes thread (for pumpkin burritos)! It doesn't matter. I love recipes and am always grateful to other people who take the time to share them here!

Deb

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
AGBF...glad you enjoy looking at the recipes. I did have another one in the crockpot thread...crockpot beef stroganoff. If you haven''t tried the pumpkin burritos from the other thread yet...now would be a good time. They are a great fall item.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I made a chicken the other day in the crock and snapped a shot. I don''t add extra liquid to the chicken to cook it, so the top gets brown (we don''t eat the skin, so it''s strictly an aesthetic thing!).

chixpot.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh that looks yummy FireGoddess!!!
18.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/15/2005 2:36:16 PM
Oh that looks yummy FireGoddess!!!
18.gif

It sure does! Today I am making split pea soup in mine (and making crusty Cuban bread in the bread machine at the same time) because I have to go to the airport to pick up guests and I won''t be home right before dinner to cook.

For the past few years I haven''t been eating beef or pork. I miss both of them, the beef in dishes like meatballs and meatloaf, the pork mainly for ham or bacon. In place of ham, I used Bruce Aidells "fully cooked chorizo smoked turkey and chicken sausage". I have eaten that grilled outside during the summer and it it is very flavorful!

Deb

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
That chicken sure looks yummy, FG!!! I still need to try a chicken in mine. Now that the weather is getting colder here, I''ll use my crockpot more and more. Today I have a roast in mine. The smell is driving me insane!!!!
18.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I still haven''t done a roast yet diamondlil. That will be my next project.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I''m cooking a pot roast as I type. Man does it smell good!

Two stupid questions - 1. I never add potatoes as someone said that the pot gets too starchy - does it? 2. I know the beauty of a crockpot is being able to cook while you are gone. I stay home as I am paranoid about leaving any appliance on while unattended. Are they really that safe to leave alone?

Can''t wait to try the Beef Stroganoff recipe.

I''m going to try a chicken again. The time I tried - the chicken didn''t cook. It was a bust. But, I''ll try one of the recipes here!

whyyoudomelikethis

Rough_Rock
GIRLY I LOVE TO COOK I WILL TELL YOU HOW TO MAKE THE BEST BEEF STEW EVER...GATHER UP SOME(3) CHOPPED POTATOS,CHOPPED ONION(1),ABOUT 2 CHOPPED CELREY.(3) CHOPPED CARROTS,CAN OF CORN.2 CANS IF YOU HAVE A BIG CROCK POT.CAN OF CHICKEN STOCK,1/2 CUP WATER,A PACK OF TENDER BEEF TIPS FOR STEW...AND SET IT ON LOW AND LET IT COOK YOU ALSO CAN DO THIS WITH CHICKEN CHUNKS,TURKEY,VEAL OR TENDER PORK.YOU CAN ADD MORE VEGGIES AND SEASONING TO YOUR CROCK POT...I HOPE THIS HELP I AM A GREAT COOK BEEN COOKING FOR YEARS..
emwink.gif
emthup.gif

zekele

Rough_Rock
My fiance and I love this recipe. The chicken is SO tender. The reheated leftovers are actually better because the flavors have had more of a chance to meld:

Beth Wintermeyer''s Creamy Crock Pot Chicken Breasts
Ingredients:
4 - 8 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
2 Tablespoons Butter
4 Ounces Cream Cheese
2 Cans Golden Mushroom Soup
1/2 Cup White Wine
Seasonings As Desired

Preparation:
Place chicken breasts in crock pot. Melt butter, stir in cream cheese, mushroom soup and white wine season with salt/pepper etc.
Cook on low in crock pot for 6 - 8 hours. If the mixture becomes too thick you can think it with additional white wine. This dish is great when served over rice or noodles . . . . . You can also pull the chicken apart into smaller pieces and serve over hot biscuits. "delicious" . . . . .
If you are serving over biscuits, you can also add some frozen peas to the crock pot shortly before serving.

From Mama Jo''s Meals in Minutes, website here: http://www.kez999.com/pages/recipes.html?ID=20050110085934

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I just made an interesting soup today:

Senagalese Soup

2 cans cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 can evaporated milk
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 cup water
1/3 cup fresh (unsweetened) coconut

Combine all in crockpot and cook on low for 4-5 hours. Stir before eating. Spoon into bowls and sprinkle with toasted coconut and peanuts.

I made it this morning and had it for lunch. It was very rich, but tasty and different. We think it will make a good appetizer soup for company.

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Ok I''d like to say that because of this thread and FireGoddess'' yummy looking chicken....I''m going to buy a crockpot tommorow.
5.gif
This will make cooking alot easier on the weekends since whenever my fiance comes to see me then he eats me out of house and home (er apartment dorm for now
20.gif
)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good for you princessv, you will love cooking in a crock pot. Everything I have made so far has been easy (that''s key) and yummy!!! Let us know how you make out!!! And take pics if you can. Then give us some good recipes as you go along!!! I ask a lot don''t I??
31.gif

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
LOL You sure do Ms. Kaleigh!!

Actually I do have a good tip from my mom who is always interested in healthy/low carb eating. To thicken a gravy in the crockpot instead of using cornstarch or any flour, shred some butternut squash.

Is that weird or what? Apparently she''s been doing it for years and my dad, my brother and me have NEVER noticed. I''d like to add that I HATE squash but this is apparently not noticeable at all.
33.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2006 11:52:48 PM
Author: princessv
Ok I''d like to say that because of this thread and FireGoddess'' yummy looking chicken....I''m going to buy a crockpot tommorow.
5.gif
This will make cooking alot easier on the weekends since whenever my fiance comes to see me then he eats me out of house and home (er apartment dorm for now
20.gif
)
36.gif

I''m a big fan of my crockpot. I have to try a few recipes from my crockpot cookbook and if all is well, will share those too. I even make mulled apple cider in mine...great for winter parties!!

lilyinct

Shiny_Rock
My husband and I love southern food...and I''ve been trying to find some healthier recipes....anyways, made an awesome Pulled Pork the other night (and it was even better after a day in the fridge):

Barbeque Pulled Pork:

3 lbs. pork roast/rump/shoulder, trimmed of all fat and cubed into 1 inch chunks
1 jar favorite barbeque sauce (we love Open Pit)
1 onion, thinly sliced
1/4 c. honey

-Throw all into crock pot, and cook on low for about 7 hours....delicious!

-We ate it on some buns, with coleslaw right on top, just like they do down south....can''t wait for dinner tonight!

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
lily, I''m going to try that this week. Sounds great and really easy!!

lilyinct

Shiny_Rock
Enjoy it! I made it again tonight, but doubled the recipe...there is a TON of bbq pork in my fridge right now...maybe we can finally now get tired of it...yeah, right.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results