shape
carat
color
clarity

Any amazing crockpot ideas/recipes out there?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just bought my crockpot today at Costco, it''s a Rival. What is the easiest thing to do the first time, a chicken or a roast. I want the first time I use it to be simple and easy. Any thoughts????

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had to bump this as I need an answer, should I do a roast or a chicken first???
3.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/15/2005 8:02:16 PM
Author: kaleigh
I had to bump this as I need an answer, should I do a roast or a chicken first???
3.gif

A chicken :).

Deb

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely a chicken. You could try the chicken recipe I put on this thread, and make a nice sauce with the juices. I'm gonna take the chicken I crockpotted today and add some half n half and tarragon to the cooking juices, use that as a sauce for the chicken...and eat it with some mashed potatoes. Mmmmm!!! Wintery food. YUMMY!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okey doke a chicken it is, thanks sooo much Deb and FireGodess. I will look up the recipe now!!! My teenagers are dying for something new!!!
11.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
BTW - you don''t need to cook the chicken on low for 6 hours - doing it on high works. I just usually don''t do that since I''m at work all day anyway, but to get it done quicker, high is fine!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the tip, I think on a Sunday 4 hours on high should do the trick!!!
2.gif
Your recipe is yummy BTW!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha I asked Greg if he wanted me to get a crockpot and he was all excited.

So he told me to get one that has a container inside that we can take out and clean...so it''s easier. Hmm.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just spent the last 1/2 hour writing down everyones recipes. This will be fun!!! Hoping to feed my brats, some fun and easy meals. Apparently they are tired of the old favorites. These recipes are great, so thanks and the brats thank you as well!!!
3.gif
11.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OK, Lisa, we''ll be expecting a report on what recipe you used and how it turned out! Did I mention I am making Indian pudding for Thanksgiving in mine? I thought that that would be authentic! I wonder if I should use the crockpot recipe I have or modify the Durgin Park recipe?

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Durgin Park Indian Pudding

Servings: 6

* 1 1/2 plus 1 1/2 cups milk
* 1/4 cup black molasses
* 2 tablespoons sugar
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 egg
* 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal

1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

2. In a bowl mix 1 1/2 cups of the milk with the molasses, sugar, butter, salt, baking powder, egg, and cornmeal. Pour the mixture into a stone crock that has been well greased and bake until it boils.

3. Heat and stir in the remaining 1 1/2 cups milk.

4. Lower the oven temperature to 300 degrees F and bake for 5 to 7 hours. Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

The Durgin Park recipe book points out that this is not really a Native American dish, but that the early settlers considered anything made with corn to be, "Indian".

Deborah

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
She''s a cookin right now!!!! I put potatoes, carrots, celery, and onions at the bottom. Added chicken broth and some water. Then I put the whole seasoned chicken on top!!! I can''t wait for this. Thanks everyone. Deb I''ll have to be brave and try that pudding recipe for Thanksgiving. It sounds yummy!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok it''s been in there for 1 1/2 hours and is hot but doesn''t seem to be cooking the chicken. Did I do something wrong. It''s set on high for 4 hours. Thanks for any help.
32.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/16/2005 3:20:45 PM
Ok it's been in there for 1 1/2 hours and is hot but doesn't seem to be cooking the chicken. Did I do something wrong. It's set on high for 4 hours. Thanks for any help.
32.gif

If the pot is hot, I wouldn't worry. Just keep cooking. I am far from an expert, though. If anyone else has a better idea, let me know!

PS-If push comes to shove, put everything into the oven! Does your crockpot have a "liner" that is oven proof? That would make the transition easier. (Another reason why Greg is right and one should get a crockpot with a removable liner.)

Keep us informed!

Deb

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes it does have a removable liner that is stonewear. I just checked on it and it seems to be doing better. Guess the old saying is apt in this case. A watched pot never boils, haha!!! If worse comes to worse I can just put it in the oven but I don''t think it will come to that. Thanks Deb!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m inspired.

When Greg gets home from his rowing competition I am going to take him to the store to get a crock pot. BBB has that 6 qt Oval Rival for $49. It also has a removable container, yay!

Then I''m doing a Kaleigh and making the chicken for tonite!! That sounds YUMMY!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good for you Mara. My whole house smells yummy!!! Guess I just panicked in the beginning like will we eat by 6:30 or what. Looks like dinner will be on time, yay!!!
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dinner was yummy!! The chicken was sooo tender and the carrots, celery, potatoes and onions were great. Next time I think I'll just use chicken broth and skip the water. We even have left overs and it fed 4 very hungry people!!
9.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/16/2005 7:12:32 PM
Dinner was yummy!! The chicken was sooo tender and the carrots, celery, potatoes and onions were great. Next time I think I''ll just use chicken broth and skip the water. We even have left overs and it fed 4 very hungry people!!
9.gif

Thank you for the quick review! That was very thoughtful of you! It sounds great to me!

Deb

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ok, this sheep just put her chicken in!

I got the Rival 6 qt, same as FG''s, and a 4lb chicken. Probably coulda gotten a three but they only had a 2.5 or a 4 or 5''s so I got the 4.

I put in sliced potatoes, carrots and onions on the bottom. Then I stuffed the bird cavity and between skin and meat with sliced lemons, minced garlic, and rosemary. Then I poured 2 cans of chicken broth over it and put the celery on top since I heard it cooks fastest.

So it''s cooking now, 4 hours! I''m starving now, I better eat some cookies or something.

2.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2005 7:12:32 PM
Dinner was yummy!! The chicken was sooo tender and the carrots, celery, potatoes and onions were great. Next time I think I''ll just use chicken broth and skip the water. We even have left overs and it fed 4 very hungry people!!
9.gif

:}
36.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! I feel as if I am watching cooking shows on two channels at once today! Keep us informed, Mara!

Deb :)

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I''m glad the chicken turned out yummy, and hope Mara has similar results!!

I just saw they started making liner bags for the crockpot inserts, so that now you don''t even have to clean the stoneware insert! I haven''t tried them yet but may. However, I usually just let it soak for awhile in water, then it cleans up so easily!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Update...mine is looking darn good and we are starving...I think it has maybe about 45 minutes to go..then I will check it. We bought a small loaf of fresh rustic bread too...yum.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Really??? I am sooo buying them. Thanks FireGodess!!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Dinner was yummy!! The chicken was sooo tender and the carrots, celery, potatoes and onions were great.
I''ve been following all this with great interest..
3.gif

Kaleigh...I assume that the chicken comes out un-browned...am I right? did this bother you or any of your family?? Curious..

widget

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes it does come out not browned which was something new. But we don''t eat the skin anyway, so it didn''t bother anyone. I had it all served up before my hubby and son got home so they didn''t know what it looked like once it was done!!!
31.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2005 10:00:03 PM
Author: FireGoddess
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I''m glad the chicken turned out yummy, and hope Mara has similar results!!

I just saw they started making liner bags for the crockpot inserts, so that now you don''t even have to clean the stoneware insert! I haven''t tried them yet but may. However, I usually just let it soak for awhile in water, then it cleans up so easily!

clean up trick,
Dump and rince it out,Add dish soap and fill up with hot water 1/2 way, put on base and turn on high for 30min or untill the lid starts steaming up.
scrub with a dish brush.
Everything even stuck on stuff will come right out.
dump rince and dry and your ready to go until next time.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Result...Dinner was absolute YUM!!! I could definitely see cooking it on low for twice as long to let the flavors of the spices etc really get in there, but it was great even just the way it was! I adore lemon, rosemary and garlic...the chicken was very tender and the vegetables were just perfect. Greg LOVED it.

I figured after all of this discussion on these things and the recipes, I would snap a picture of what was going on in the crockpot about 15 minutes before it was done.
5.gif
Can't wait to try other recipes now...but this chicken will definitely be a once a week thing during winter!

chicken in crockpot 1005.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara that picture takes the cake, no pun intended. So glad you guys loved it. I am excited to do a pot roast next.
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results