shape
carat
color
clarity

Any amazing crockpot ideas/recipes out there?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lynn

Rough_Rock
Hi JennyAnn,
I made your chicken recipe tonight and it is unbelievable. Thanks!!!
Lynn

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great idea to take a photo, Mara! I wonder if Leonid will attract advertizers for crockpots to this site (and what he will do with them if they are offering fabulous sums to be able to show their crockpots to this audience that really buys them)! I can''t really envision a photo of a crockpot next to one of an ideal cut diamond...but maybe he can sell space in a special kitchen and recipes area ;-).

Deb

ello

Brilliant_Rock
I tried the chicken recipe and it was great - I think next time I''ll go easy on the rosemary...I was a little herb happy!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow- I think I''m going to have to buy one now. (I''m surprised we don''t already have one)

Mara that picture is incredible.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I made macaroni and cheese in my crockpot yesterday, following a recipe for "all day macaroni and cheese". My husband loved the caramelized outer coating and ate a lot. (He generally eats only plain pasta with a little tomato-based sauce or pesto. Nothing "mushy".) My daughter wouldn't eat it, though.

I think I am going to have to save the crockpot for family gatherings. I am the only one who likes what I cook in it! My husband and daughter like dry, crispy, fresh food. Crockpots just do not produce that :(. This recipe, eaten by one of the two, was the most successful one yet! They both eschewed all the other things I made!

Deb

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That macarooni sounds yummy Deb. My next request from the brats is to make beef stew, but I''m a little scared. I need to buy a crockpot cookbook methinks!!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/20/2005 2:28:54 PM
Author: kaleigh
That macarooni sounds yummy Deb. My next request from the brats is to make beef stew, but I''m a little scared. I need to buy a crockpot cookbook methinks!!!

Gee...I wish I were cooking for your family!

Deb :)

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will look up the beef stew recipe in my cookbook tonight.
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh thanks FireGodess, that would be great!!!
36.gif
Find an easy one, OK???
3.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/20/2005 4:44:41 PM
Oh thanks FireGodess, that would be great!!!
36.gif
Find an easy one, OK???
3.gif

I find many recipes on-line. The website where I found this had around ten different recipes for crockpot beef stew. I chose this one because it had so few ingredients and looked so easy!

Beef Stew with Red Wine

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 pounds stewing beef, cut in 1-inch cubes
* 1 envelope onion soup mix
* 1/2 cup burgundy, dry red wine
* 1 can cream of mushroom soup
* 1/4 cup quick cooking tapioca
* 1 can mushrooms, whole, (4 ounces)

PREPARATION:
Combine all ingredients in slow cooker, stirring to mix will. Cover and cook on LOW 9 to 11 hours (about 4 to 6 hours on HIGH). Serve with hot cooked noodles or rice.

Deb

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Deb, not only is that easy it sounds delish!!!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha stuff that has ''cream of'' in it scares me, as does a beef recipe having TAPIOCA in it. i get way too hung up on looking at ingredient lists...hehehe.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah the Tapioca didn''t sit well with me either. I think I can surely improvise. I love the idea of the onion soup mix and will use beef broth instead of the creamy mushroom soup. We shall see.
32.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a thing about texture, and tapioca is a big yucky on my list. But I was wondering - would it burst in the soup, or would the little ball thingies still be intact? If intact, blech.
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I always take recipes and do my own thing anyway. So how does this sound???

2 Lbs stewing beef cut into cubes
1 package onion soup mix
1/2 cup dry red wine
1/2 beef broth
3 potatoes cut up
carrots
onions
celery
spices etc...

Sound ok or will this be yucky???

Tell the truth, I can take it. Or if you have revisions please give me your ideas
3.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a great crockpot cookbook - it''s got not-so-run-of-the-mill recipes in it. Called "The 150 Best Slow Cooker Recipes" by Judith Finlayson.

Here''s one version of beef stew from this book.

Greek Beef Stew with Onions and Feta Cheese

1 tbs vegetable oil
2 lbs stewing beef, cut into 1 inch cubes
3 large onions, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground allspice
3 tbs red wine vinegar
1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 bay leaf
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
macaroni, noodles, or mashed potatoes

In a skillet, heat oil over med-hi heat. Brown beef in batches, adding more oil if necessary, and transfer with slotted spoon to slow cooker stoneware.
Reduce heat to medium. Add onions to pan and cook until soft. Add garlic, cinnamon, and allspice and cook 1 minute. Add vinegar, tomato sauce, sugar, and bay leaf and stir to combine.
Pour mixture over meat and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours, until beef is tender.
Add feta cheese and cook on high for 10 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Spoon over hot buttered macaroni, noodles, or mashed potatoes.

** for some ''flair'' you can substitute 2 lbs of pearl onions for the chopped onions. (I buy these already peeled and frozen, can just pop them in.)

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Classic Boeuf Bourguignon

1 tbs vegetable oil
4 oz chunk of bacon or salt pork belly, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 lbs stewing beef cut into 1 inch cubes
1 lb mushrooms, whole or halved, depending on size
3 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
2 onions, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup condensed beef broth (undiluted)
2 cups red wine
1 bay leaf
zest of one orange

In large skillet heat oil over med-hi heat. Add bacon or salt pork and cook till crisp. Remove and drain to paper towel. Drain off all but 2 tbs fat in pan.
Add beef to pan and brown. Transfer to slow cooker using slotted spoon.
Add mushrooms to pan and cook till tops lightly browned. Transfer to slow cooker. Reduce heat to med-lo. Add carrots and onion to pan. Cover and cook till veggies softened, about 10 min. Increase heat to medium. Add garlic, thyme, salt, pepper, and cook for 1 min. Add flour and cook, stirring, 1 min. Add beef broth and wine and cook, stirring, till thickened. Add in bacon, bay leaf, and orange zest.
Add mixture to slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high 4 to 5 hours till beef is tender. Discard bay leaf and serve.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FireGoddess,

I have to agree that both the recipes you posted looked out of the ordinary and absolutely delicious! I was trying for the simplest, but I suspect you may have posted the best! Have you tried either (or both) of these recipes? I would love more information on how they taste! When my PARENTS come I could make a "mushy" recipe (like stew), and they would enjoy it! In fact, I think it would be a big treat for my mother. She used to make stew when we were growing up, but now-at 87-she no longer cooks. She finds a home-cooked meal to be a real treat. (Thank goodness my father still makes his recipes-even if they are not the way she used to cook-for the two of them! At least she gets split pea soup; chili con carne; and spaghetti with meatballs once in a while! Plus my father always makes her, "breakfast"-it may be one fried egg or a piece of French toast-and leaves it for her to reheat in the microwave when she gets up!)

You can probably tell that I adore my parents!

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FireGoddess,

I formatted the two stew recipes you posted using Microsoft Works and saved them on my computer. I also printed them out and put them into my (growing) looseleaf notebook of crockpot recipes.

I really appreciate your sharing those!

Deb

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
HAHA, a big EW about the tapioca balls BURSTING while they cook!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGBF,

You''re most sincerely welcome! I really like this cookbook because the recipes sometimes require a *little* more work than just throwing everything into the pot, but they come out so wonderfully. I''ve encountered a lot of crockpot recipes that were less than great. She basically finds ways to use the crockpot for everything - appetizers, soups, main courses, desserts....but does so without just throwing everything in..the results are fantastic! I really liked the Greek Beef Stew. Beef Bourgignon itself is not one of my favorites to begin with but I did like this recipe as well.

I think it''s GREAT that you adore your parents. I know quite a few people who take theirs for granted and it makes me so upset...those people raised you and they should be revered, not abused. I''m starting to freak now that I realize mine are getting ''older''...I wish I could stop the clock. I also wish they didn''t live all the way across the country.
7.gif
I hope these recipes work for you and you can make some stews for them. I''m sure your mom would love that.

Let me know if there''s anything else you guys are looking for...there''s fish chowder, seafood gumbo, regular gumbo, pumpkin soup with shrimp and lime (sounds so good right now!), a creamy leek, potato, and mushroom stew with blue cheese, vichyssoise, hot roasted nuts, pot roast, goulash, chicken mole, the list goes on.
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
FireGoddess those recipes are great. Thank you very much for sharing them with us!!!
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the link FireGodess, I will check them out.

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Just thought I''d mention that there is an advertisement for a bbq crockpot...can you believe it? The website is www.crockpotbbq.com and they sell for $119.99. This is for ribs,chicken, etc., bbq-style w/meat falling off the bone. That sounds good, but the price is a little too high for me to just send for it without trying the results first.

Just thought I would mention it to you crockpot enthusiasts!
emotion-5.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have actually seen one other advertisement for that thing - haven''t heard of anyone who actually has it yet. Interesting concept. I''ve got an indoor countertop plug in grill from DeLonghi that I use...we''ll see if the bbq crock thing takes off!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
FireGodess, I just checked out the all recipe website and it is awesome. I am truly inspired. Too many great ideas. Love how they are rated and reviewed. Many many thanks from Kaleigh''s family!!!!
3.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/21/2005 9:17:37 PM
FireGodess, I just checked out the all recipe website and it is awesome. I am truly inspired. Too many great ideas. Love how they are rated and reviewed. Many many thanks from Kaleigh''s family!!!!
3.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am making beef stew on Sunday, yikes!!! No it will be great I''m sure. That link FireGodess saved my butt bigtime. Yes I could go out and buy a cookbook, but the recipes on this website have been scrutinized and seem so easy. The key word for me is easy. And no, I''m not easy, Lol!!!!
3.gif
31.gif

ello

Brilliant_Rock
Just a quick tip – I usually beat the raw meat silly (beef cubes in a zip lock bag) – it really helps with the tenderness of the beef in the stew.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results