shape
carat
color
clarity

Any amazing crockpot ideas/recipes out there?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Y''know, I gotta try this. I have a few packages of Lipton Onion Soup mix and I have NO idea what to do with them. Thanks for the idea!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Linda, sounds yummy. I will try it this week.
1.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope you like it, please let me know. Everyone I make it for loves it. The gravy freezes well too.

Linda

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmm any way to make it a little more healthy and still tasty? i''m not a fan of ''cream of anything'' soups...suggestions?!?!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara,

I''ve never made it healthy. My mom started making this in the 70''s and always made it this way. Maybe you could skip the mushroom soup and just use beef broth, but then I am not sure how it would taste.

Linda

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
FYI: there are some low fat cream soups out there, might taste gross alone but in the crock pot it might be okay.

I got a couple Fix it and Forget cookbooks for the crock pot, one is about light meals...worth looking at...

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2005 5:17:26 PM
Author: Lions, Tigers & Bears

Date: 9/12/2005 4:57:20 PM
Author: FireGoddess

Date: 9/12/2005 4:48:12 PM
Author: Jennifer5973

How do you make yours, belle?
Definitely share your tips Belle...I have a fear of cooking beef on anything but a grill (I''ve had more nasty, greyish results than I''d care to admit!), so I''d love to know how you do yours!

Also...I think chili is a great thing to do in the crockpot but I haven''t tried that...hmmm...
I am curious as to how others might do it. I use an eyeround roast, trimmed of most fat. I cut up onions, carrots and potatoes (smaller chunks so they cook through--root vegetables can be dense!) and layer them in the bottom of the crockpot. Then, season the eyeround well with salt and pepper and place on top of the cut up veggies. then, mix one packet of lipton beefy onion soup mix with 2 cans beef broth and 1 cup water (low sodium) and pour over roast...then cook. You can use almost anything for the gravy...cream of mushroom soup with a little beef seasoning works for a creamier gravy... use your imagination.

When the roast is done, remove it and let it rest at room temperature for 10 min before slicing. In the meantime, turn the crock pot to ''high'' and thicken the gravy with a quick roux or some cornstarch mixed with water (about a tbsp).

I alwasy boil up some egg noodles to serve with this--toss them with a little butter & S&P, and ladle some gravy over them too!
3.gif

chili and spaghetti sauce are great, get it going and leave it to cook all day...

to avoid grey meat, I think it helps to brown or sear it first...a bit time consuming but more appetizing visually!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2005 12:43:31 PM
Author: IslandDreams
What kind of crockpot does everyone use?

I have a large round one (large enough to cook whole chickens) with a ceramic part that comes all the way out for washing. It is probably 10 years old. This thread inspired me to look online at the new ones. There are lots of options out there now...many with digital timers..and the oval shape is more common. Some of my friends also have one that sits on a ''griddle'' then the pot part can be put on the stove or in the oven or in the fridge. This sounds good. So, if anyone has one of the modern crockpots they love, please share!

Thanks!

I have a large Rival oval (6 qt?) with digital timer and removable ceramic liner. I want to take that up to our mountain house, so I got an All Clad at Williams Sonoma that is similar. I have used the RIVAL a lot, and like it. Bed Bath and Beyond had them, they are not too pricey and you can use the 20% off coupon too.

Not to go too off topci, but has anyone ever used a pressure cooker? My friend swears by hers, and they are very safe these days...(they used to blow up which could be a problem!)

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven''t used a pressure cooker - sorry!

As for lower fat - I only buy the Campbell''s 99% fat free cream of whatever soups. I think, especially for something like crockpot cooking, that would be just fine. But I guess I''ll find out.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results