shape
carat
color
clarity

Any amazing crockpot ideas/recipes out there?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I come home from work starving a lot of the time and end up eating toast or cereal or something because it would take too long to make something of substance. When I was a single girl I''d cook up something and there''d be enough leftovers for DAYS of meals. Now that I''m a married girl, I don''t get nearly as much mileage out of all the dishes I make, even if I make more than I usually do. I got a crockpot as a wedding gift 2 years ago and I usually throw a whole roaster chicken in there with some onions, carrots, and celery on the bottom, stuff the cavity with onion and lemon, and slip lemon wedges under the skin as well. Makes a great lemony chicken that''s great to eat as is, or shred and throw in chicken salad or atop a green salad, or to throw in a chicken soup. Does anybody do anything cool with their crockpot? I''d love to hear some stories if you do! I''ve got a crockpot recipe book, but I love hearing of things that people can really vouch for. It''s nice to come home, prep some food for 10 minutes (make a sauce or some rice or potato side dish or something) and have dinner ready!

Thanks in advance!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i *love* the idea of crockpot cooking and i really want it to work, unfortuanetly most of the time it just doesn''t. i think most foods were meant to be cooked seperately. the one thing i do cook only in the crock pot is roast. i am the queen o'' crockpot roast!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2005 4:45:58 PM
Author: belle
i *love* the idea of crockpot cooking and i really want it to work, unfortuanetly most of the time it just doesn''t. i think most foods were meant to be cooked seperately. the one thing i do cook only in the crock pot is roast. i am the queen o'' crockpot roast!
How do you make yours, belle?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2005 4:48:12 PM
Author: Jennifer5973

Definitely share your tips Belle...I have a fear of cooking beef on anything but a grill (I've had more nasty, greyish results than I'd care to admit!), so I'd love to know how you do yours!

Also...I think chili is a great thing to do in the crockpot but I haven't tried that...hmmm...

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2005 4:57:20 PM
Author: FireGoddess

Date: 9/12/2005 4:48:12 PM
Author: Jennifer5973

Definitely share your tips Belle...I have a fear of cooking beef on anything but a grill (I''ve had more nasty, greyish results than I''d care to admit!), so I''d love to know how you do yours!

Also...I think chili is a great thing to do in the crockpot but I haven''t tried that...hmmm...
I am curious as to how others might do it. I use an eyeround roast, trimmed of most fat. I cut up onions, carrots and potatoes (smaller chunks so they cook through--root vegetables can be dense!) and layer them in the bottom of the crockpot. Then, season the eyeround well with salt and pepper and place on top of the cut up veggies. then, mix one packet of lipton beefy onion soup mix with 2 cans beef broth and 1 cup water (low sodium) and pour over roast...then cook. You can use almost anything for the gravy...cream of mushroom soup with a little beef seasoning works for a creamier gravy... use your imagination.

When the roast is done, remove it and let it rest at room temperature for 10 min before slicing. In the meantime, turn the crock pot to ''high" and thicken the gravy with a quick roux or some cornstarch mixed with water (about a tbsp).

I alwasy boil up some egg noodles to serve with this--toss them with a little butter & S&P, and ladle some gravy over them too!
3.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
uhm...can you fly to STL tonight and bring your crock pot? I didn''t get one!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehehehe...well, the title of the thread had me scared, as i was thinking that the roast recipe might not be what you were looking for!

it''s very simple...
i cut a beef chuck roast into a managable size and brown it in the frying pan.
while it is browning, slice some potatoes in half and put them in the bottom of the crockpot
add some whole baby carrots and an onion quartered.
i will usually add a cube or two of beef boullion and maybe some dried herbs (whatever you like)
once the meat is browned, place it on top of all the other ingredients (veggies take longer to cook through, and most of the heat is at the bottom)
add some water (fill the crockpot about halfway...to much and it will eventually boil over)

this cooks in about 4-5hrs on high or 8-10 on low. i check for doneness by pulling some meat off with a fork. when the meat pulls away very easily it''s done.

i *love* worchestershire sauce, so sometimes i''ll add some while the meat is cooking. i definetly add it after it''s done.
2.gif

oh, yes...chili is very good in the crockpot as well...
i have a recipe that is very much like the ''wendy''s'' chili, which is my favorite. i also have a recipe for white chili that is made with chicken
3.gif

i''ll go look for those if you''re interested.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a ton of things I cook in mine.
Usualy I dont follow a recipe I usualy check the shelves and fridge and throw whatever I find in with what im cookin so its never the same twice.
Just did a chicken yesterday.

Whole chicken and some water about 1/4 the way up the bird cook on high for 6 hours.
Was a little short on stuff to throw in with it but just about anything can be added.

I usualy do tatos and carrots with chicken and 1 can cream of mushroom soup 1 can water. high 6 hours.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2005 7:01:28 PM
Author: strmrdr
I usualy do tatos and carrots with chicken and 1 can cream of mushroom soup 1 can water. high 6 hours.
Mmmm, gonna have to try this.
3.gif

Belle, would love your chili recipes! It''s starting to get cooler here...yay!

Rube

Shiny_Rock
I am curious too! I was so excited to get a crockpot for a wedding gift, but haven''t used it yet. I guess I was waiting for some cold weather, or something, since most of my recipes are chili/soup based.

But share, please! I came across a lemon-grass chicken recipe the other day, but haven''t tried it yet.

Rube

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
chili recipe:
*makes a ton.... you could cut the recipe in half or freeze it.

2lbs ground beef
one 29oz can tomato sauce
one 29oz can kidney beans (with liquid)
one 29oz can pinto beans (with liquid)
1 c. diced onion (one med.)
1/2c. diced green chile (2 chile''s)
1/4c. diced celery (1 stalk)
3 med. tomatoes, chopped
2 tsp. cumin powder
3 tblsp. chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. salt
2 c. water

brown ground beef in a skillet. drain fat.
combine all the ingredients in the crockpot and stir well. cook on low heat for 3-4hrs.

enjoy!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
this isn''t crockpot related, but it''s a handy side dish idea. for mashed potatoes anytime and to use all of those potatoes before they go bad, cook up a whole bag (minus a few for baked) potatoes. mash and season them as you normally would then put meal sized portions into individual freezer bags. smoosh them flat and freeze. when you need them, just take them out of the bag and place the potato ''patties'' on a baking sheet in the oven at 350. you could probably microwave them, but i''ve never tried it. while the potatoes are heating, fluff them occasionally with a fork. the heating times will vary with the amount of potatoes, but it''s usually about 10-15 mins.

jennyann2

Shiny_Rock
my fiance begs me to make this all the time, it''s his absolute favorite crockpot chicken. it has a little kick to it.

Roast Sticky Chicken
4 tsp salt
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 large roasting chicken
1 cup chopped onion
In a small bowl, thoroughly combine all the spices. Remove giblets from
chicken, clean the cavity well and pat dry with paper towels. Rub the spice
mixture into the chicken, both inside and out, making sure it is evenly
distributed and down deep into the skin. Place in a resealable plastic bag, seal and
refrigerate overnight. When ready to cook chicken put onion in the cavity and put it in
the crockpot and do not add any liquid. As the cooking process goes on it
will produce it''s own juices. Cook on low 8 to 10 hours and it will be
falling off the bone tender.
One time I was getting it out of the crock pot and the carcass was the only thing that I
pulled out because it was so moist. I usually serve it over rice cause it tends to soak up some of the juices which are awesome. For the onion rather than chopping I usually just slice it and cover the bottom and then stick some inside and lay some on top of the chicken. Oh and I throw in some minced garlic too!

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/12/2005 3:36:46 PM
Author:FireGoddess
I come home from work starving a lot of the time and end up eating toast or cereal or something because it would take too long to make something of substance. When I was a single girl I''d cook up something and there''d be enough leftovers for DAYS of meals. Now that I''m a married girl, I don''t get nearly as much mileage out of all the dishes I make, even if I make more than I usually do. I got a crockpot as a wedding gift 2 years ago and I usually throw a whole roaster chicken in there with some onions, carrots, and celery on the bottom, stuff the cavity with onion and lemon, and slip lemon wedges under the skin as well. Makes a great lemony chicken that''s great to eat as is, or shred and throw in chicken salad or atop a green salad, or to throw in a chicken soup. Does anybody do anything cool with their crockpot? I''d love to hear some stories if you do! I''ve got a crockpot recipe book, but I love hearing of things that people can really vouch for. It''s nice to come home, prep some food for 10 minutes (make a sauce or some rice or potato side dish or something) and have dinner ready!

Thanks in advance!
I thought after reading all of the replies that I might contribute my dessert recipe...by the way, the recipes shared sound fabulous and I am going to try one of them today!

CrockPot Chocolate Chip Pudding Cake

1 box of standard(any brand that includes pudding in it will do...I use Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines) milk chocolate cake mix
1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
1 sm. box of chocolate pudding(you can use the larger box if you want a creamier consistency)
1/2 cup to 3/4 cup sour cream
Eggs according to cake mix directions

Basically, you are taking the cake mix and following the directions except you are adding chocolate chips at the end by folding them into the mix. The sour cream and dry pudding mix is added into the mix before you add the eggs and chips. After the cake batter is prepared, pour it into a prepared round crockpot. Prepare the crockpot by spraying a nonstick baking spray all over it. After you have poured all of the batter in, cover and cook for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours. You will notice the sides of the cake pulling away a little as it bakes...this is normal. When you test the cake, it will come out still soft or a little underbaked in the center...that is ok. Turn the crockpot off after 3 hours. The pot will continue to cook so be mindful not to over bake this chocolatey dessert.

We use a large ice cream scooper to serve it into bowls and you can top it with either powdered sugar, whipped topping--my personal favorite--or a scoop of vanilla ice cream with a small scooper.

My eldest daughter loves this and prefers this to other types of cakes for her birthday! You can change it up a bit using yellow cake mix, white chips or stay with milk choc. chips for fun, vanilla pudding mix...Enjoy!
emotion-5.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m ashamed to admit that I don''t know a thing about crockpot cooking. I did find a good recipe online a while back on making Artichoke Dip in a crockpot and it sounded so good but we don''t have a crockpot, so I cooked it in the oven on super low for an hour and it came out GREAT...so I just make it that way now.
2.gif

But this talk of stews and other things is intriguing. Is there a way to make a healthy kind of chicken stew or soup recipe in a crockpot? If so, anyone have a good recipe for it?!?!??! I love chicken soup...so anything like that but thick would be fab! Is this something you could use a crockpot for?

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
Here is my pot roast with mushroom gravy recipe. We are talking good ole southern goodness. Serve with cream whipped mashed potatoes- Absolutely DIVINE on cold days. Derrick LOVES this. The meat is so tender it shreds with a spoon- not kidding.

(1) 2-3 pound shoulder or chuck roast (I try to find one with a thin layer of fat on one side and start cooking with that side down)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 package golden onion soup mix
1 large portabella mushroom, cubed
1 can water

mix together soup, soup mix and water in crock pot
lay roast on top of soup mix add mushrooms
spoon soup mixture over meat
cook on low for 5 hours- slice three cuts across the meat and flip
cook on high for 3 hours- flip every hour
Secret is to spoon gravy over meat regularly (once an hour or so)

Serve with your favorite mashed potatoe recipe. The gravy is Spectacular!
ENJOY!
This serves at least 4 people.

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
I also have a good recipe for basic (no frills) chicken and dumplings that only takes about and hour and a half.
It''s not a crock pot recipe, but it sure is tasty. MMMMMmmmmm!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok what are dumplings?

Jorman I think we might have to come over for dinner...
31.gif

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
Are you kidding me? Oh poor Mara. Dumplings are a major southern comfort food.
You make chicken broth by boiling chicken, salt, and pepper. While the broth is brewing, you roll out biscuit dough and cut it into strips. After you have a flavourful broth, pull the chicken out and debone it, shred or cube the chicken- set aside.
drop the biscuit dough strips into the simmering chicken broth and stew for about 7-10 minutes. Add chicken. Serve hot.
Scumptious!

Some like to use cooked biscuits, but that is just not how I was raised.
2.gif

Once we get our house a little more presentable- we will have you over for sure!
Beer, white sangria recipes and yummy food. MMMM!
You can bring Portia if she promises to be nice to Boomer.
16.gif

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
I might add that some prefer carrots and celery in their dumplings- but I say no thank you. It defeats the comfort food purpose.
18.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh jorman that food sounds wonderful. perfect for a winter dinner!!

oh and portia is a lover not a fighter...she adores everyone, she''s obviously NOT my daughter! HAHA!
31.gif

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
In this week''s Life weekend magazine (dated week of Sept 23rd) that comes in a lot of friday newspapers there is a crockpot article featuring 4 famous chef''s fav crockpot recipes.

Emeril''s chicken and andouille gumbo

Ming Tsai''s beef and shiitake stew

Sara Moulton''s spiced baby back ribs

David Hirsch from Moosewood Cafe''s Texas Two-bean chilli

I don''t have a scanner and maybe Life has a website but if any of these recipes sound intriguing I can type them up.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was looking for a recipe for something else entirely and stumbled across this one. I remembered the crockpot thread and thought I''d post it. I have no idea if it is any good, but my cousin''s wife used to make baked chicken pieces with either peach or apricot marmalade (or preserves) and that was very good!

Apricot preserves and Russian dressing add a unique flavor to this popular chicken recipe.

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 bottle Russian dressing (16 oz.)
* 1 envelope onion soup mix
* 1 jar apricot preserves (10 oz.)
* 4 pieces chicken -- (4 to 6)
* Seasoned salt and pepper to taste

PREPARATION:
Combine Russian dressing, apricot preserves and onion soup mix in bowl and pour into the crockpot. Sprinkle the chicken with seasoned salt and pepper. Place chicken, skin side down, in slow cooker. Cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours (HIGH 3 to 4 hours)

Deb

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
There are few more CP recipes here

I now have a collection of crockpots, I just bought a little one (I needed it like I need a hole in the head
20.gif
) but at just $4.99 I couldn''t resist. I even went back for a few more to use as Xmas gifts.
36.gif
I used it for the first time yesterday, made an artichoke/crab dip for an elderly friend who served it at her Mah Jong session, which she hosted at her home.

2 c. mayonnaise
1 c. sour cream
1/2 - 1 c. shredded cheese of your choice
1 pkg. imitation crab (chopped up)
1/2 - 3/4 c. marinated artichokes (drained and chopped)
sliced green onions
garlic salt
pepper
sprinkled lightly w/paprika on top

I had her heat it for 2 hrs prior to serving. I assured her it would make it look as though she knew what she was doing all along.
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awesome recipe KM..that prompted me to remember to post my crock-pot Artichoke Dip recipe I found online which has gotten absolute RAVE reviews from everyone...I am now required to make it at practically every winter get together...

I serve it with salted blue tortilla chips for something different and looks more festive than regular chips. I don't have a Crock Pot so I basically bake it in the oven on very low heat (aka 200) for about an hour and it works out great.

This recipe makes about enough for a very small group, so for larger groups I tend to double or even triple it and each time it has been absolutely GONE within an hour. Addicting stuff!
31.gif
The artichoke hearts are the ones in the canned food aisle, not the small kitschy 'flavored' ones in jars (I messed that one up first time around, expensive mistake!). I also have experimented with adding a bit more cheese or garlic or more pimiento with good results, so it just depends on your tastes. Oh and I always add lots of salt.
9.gif

Hot Artichoke Dip:

INGREDIENTS:
• 6 ounces Artichoke hearts, marinated
• 1/3 cup Mayonnaise
• 1 tablespoon Pimiento, diced (optional)
• 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
• 1/3 cup Sour cream
• 1/8 teaspoon Garlic powder

PREPARATION:
Drain and chop artichoke hearts. Combine all ingredients and place in Crock Pot. Cover and heat 30 to 60 minutes until hot. Serve with tortilla chips or assorted crackers.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is what im cooking tomorrow.

3lb chuck roast.
6-7 large taters peeled and diced.
2 large onions.
3/4 lb baby carrots.
dosh of honey bbq sauce
water to cover roast 1/2 way up.

high 5 hours.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That artichoke dip looks good. I have never spent a lot of times on dips and have admired people who bothered. I was recently wondering if, to make artichoke dip, one had to cook fresh artichokes. (I have never done that.) I have also always feared cooking with mayonnaise because I associate mayonnaise being left out (getting warm, not being refrigerated) with botulism! That''s what gave me pause about cooking with Russian dressing!

OK...the crab dip. Can one make it with canned lump crab? If I don''t have real crab I find good lump crab to be a good substitute in a crabmeat salad. I have never made a crab dip, however. Can one make the dip with frozen real crab or does that fall apart in some way that ruins the dip? Is there a reason for using crab substitute instead of crab, in other words.

Whatever happened to out recipe forum? I wonder if we can get back into it before the holidays and share some of our favorite Thanksgiving and Christmas recipes again.

Deb

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deb, the best part is that the artichoke dip I posted takes all of 5 minutes to put together, you just put it all in a bowl, mix it, then stick it in the oven. Or into the crockpot bowl. It''s SO easy. It just takes the time to cook it in the oven. Part of why I love it.

The recipe forum from SO long ago was closed, because it got something like 2 posts every 2 months if even that. Just like there''s all of a few recipes here per month. Personally, I like having the recipes floating around in here because I wouldn''t visit a recipe FORUM, but I visit here and like reading the various home & garden items including recipes.
2.gif

I think starting a holiday food thread soon would be fabulous since I am in need of some new Thanksgiving and then Xmas dishes this year!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t need a recipe forum, Mara. I just realized I missed some of the threads we used to have. Right now I want to do some specific recipe research (but wouldn''t mind having some research done for me by others (especially if those others know of recipes that they have actually used!!!).

I decided I want to cook up the summer squash I have in my kitchen in some way other than the usual boil or fry-on-a-sprayed-pan methods I use. I was thinking of making a cream of summer squash soup, but using milk rather than cream. I''d also like to get some interesting, tasty winter/butternut/acorn squash recipes. I am thinking "fresh" as opposed to canned ingredients. (I don''t mind frozen, either! I have some frozen winter squash in my freezer right now.) I am just into a vegetable mode and would prefer (at the moment when I am just cooking for my immediate family) to cook them in some way that tastes rich but isn''t full of butter, cream, mayonnaise, sour cream, and cream cheese. (I don''t mind using whole milk when I get into one of these moods, though.)

As Thanksgiving and Christmas draw near, I will switch into, "what''s-the-richest-thing-I-can-find?" mode, I assure you!

Deb

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2005 8:46:20 PM
Author: strmrdr
This is what im cooking tomorrow.

3lb chuck roast.
6-7 large taters peeled and diced.
2 large onions.
3/4 lb baby carrots.
dosh of honey bbq sauce
water to cover roast 1/2 way up.

high 5 hours.
Strm that sounds like it would be pretty healthy as in low-fat...do you agree? Does it end up being thicker like a stew or more like a chicken soup?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results