shape
carat
color
clarity

Recipes!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh kmom, you''re funny!! now vend me, i mean, lend me a good recipe!!! any main ingredient will work, i just want something that is good & tasty. most of the cp recipes i''ve tried are bland. maybe like a stew or something?

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
When i make pot roast in the CP, i use lipton beefy onion soup mix, beef broth and some garlic powder, salt & fresh pepper. basically cut up carrots, onions, and potatoes, layer them in the bottom of the CP, season your meat w/ the garlic powder, salt & pepper, and place it on top of the vegetables, pour in 1 packet soup mix mixed with water + 1 -2 cans of beef broth (Franco American beef gravy works well too) and cook it.

When it''s done, lift out meat & veggies, turn CP to "high" and thicken gravy with cornstarch mixed with a little water or a rue (flour + butter heated to make a thickening paste) and taste for final seasoning.

It always works out for me when I do it this way! Kmom, let''s hear how you do it!
18.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock

Date: 1/17/2005 5:42
6.gif
0 PM
Author: Jennifer5973
When i make pot roast in the CP, i use lipton beefy onion soup mix, beef broth and some garlic powder, salt & fresh pepper. basically cut up carrots, onions, and potatoes, layer them in the bottom of the CP, season your meat w/ the garlic powder, salt & pepper, and place it on top of the vegetables, pour in 1 packet soup mix mixed with water + 1 -2 cans of beef broth (Franco American beef gravy works well too) and cook it.

When it''s done, lift out meat & veggies, turn CP to ''high'' and thicken gravy with cornstarch mixed with a little water or a rue (flour + butter heated to make a thickening paste) and taste for final seasoning.

It always works out for me when I do it this way! Kmom, let''s hear how you do it!
18.gif
Jenn, this is almost exactly how I did it except I did not use the lipton this time. I seasoned my own flavorings, gave it a coat of flour then, browned it in my dutch cooker for a little while just to get a crust, then placed it in the cooker with the veggies you mentioned, poured about a cup of water and a few (scant) shakes of boullion seasoning. Threw in a can of mushrooms during the last hour of cooking and thickened it all at the end. We had leftovers tonight. Yum.
18.gif

Another variation of this is when I add a can of stewed tomatoes.

I love adding a pat of butter in the end to certain things. I do this to my chowder. It''s very french.
2.gif
Speaking of chowder, I must share my special chowder recipe. SInce the previous recipes got deleted I''ll dig it up and repost it. that will take a while to post. thanks for your patience, hopefully it will be worth it. I love soups!
36.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
For belle, jenn and other crockpot friends:

BASIC CP CHILI:
1 # ground beef
1 # cut up beef (round, chuck, tri tip, flap)
2 med onions
2 cans stewed tomatoes
lots of garlic
chili seasoning
cumin (the stuff that makes you sure you are eating or smelling a chili something)
s/p to taste
2-3 cans assorted beans, drained

On high heat, brown meat, onions and garlic. If using other veggies, add them after meat is cooked. Add all ingredients (including any liquid which extracts from the meats) except beans to crockpot and cook for 4 hrs on high, 6-8 on low. Add beans during the last 1-2 hrs of cooking. The cut up beef will add a chunkiness which my DH really likes. Serve with cheese, avocado, jalapenos, chips, rice, cornbread, the possibilities are endless! This recipe is so rustic and simple, it is true comfort food.

Note these proportions are for the 6qt CP which I have. If you are using a smaller cooker, you need to adjust the proportions accordingly.

variations:
add other diced veggies like celery, carrots, peppers, etc.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks kmom!!!
36.gif

can''t wait to try it!!

njc

Brilliant_Rock
I love cooking and this thread has to be my new favortie!

Libster - My mom makes that breakfast cassrole every year for our Christmas Day brunch. It is the only time we get it, and shes been doing it for 20+ years! She was drawn to it originally because you could make it the night before and just pop it in the oven the next morning while us kids were opening presents! ITS WONDERFUL!

My contribution:

Originally got this recipe while i was doing Weigh Watchers with my mom. Its one of those that you can put in what you like, and take out what you dont. Ive made it for several football parties and everyone LOVED it (even the boys). I didnt tell them it was healthy until after they tried it. Now everyone asks me to make it!

1 Point Chili
1 lb of lean ground Turkey (can be left out for vegetarian chili)
1 package of Taco Seasoning
2-3 16oz jars of your favorite salsa, this is the main part of the chili
or 2 cans of your favorite Rotel (drained, if you like thicker chili) and 1 16oz jar of your favorite salsa
Your favorite veggies (I use 3-4 celery stalks, 1 huge onion, 2 small squash and 2 small zuccini) cut in bite-size chunks
Favorite type of beans (optional, and how ever many you like, i use 2 normal size cans of pintos when i add beans)
1 small can of Tomato Paste (optional, i use it to ever so slightly thicken the chili, add more if you like it thicker)

In a large pot add 1-2 tablespoons of oil (i use olive oil or spray Pam sometimes). Add onion and 1 tablespoons of taco seasoning. Let cook 2-3 minutes. Add the turkey and 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning. Stir occasionally until turkey is pretty much cooked (i use this time to cut up my other veggies). Add the veggies in order of what will take the longest to cook, stiring after each addition. Add salsa and tomato paste, stir. Add in remaining taco seasoning. Cover and let simmer until veggies are soft. Stir in beans and cook until they are warmed.

Weight Watchers defined a serving as 1 cup which is worth 1 point. I usually eat about 2 cups at a time, it is VERY filling. One pot can generously serve 6-8 people. I put the left overs in plastic containers in individual servings and freeze. They are great to grab and take to work for lunch. 5-6 minutes in the microwave and they are great.

This recipe is very forgiving, just add in how much of whatever you like. The salsa and taco seasoning are what make this recipe. Ive added fresh hot peppers and tabasco sauce for extra kick. You can use carrots, radishes, tomatos, green peppers, whatever veggies you like, but i do recommend trying the squash and/or zuccini or others even if you dont like them. They break down and everything tastes like the taco seasoning, so no nasty veggie flavors!

Sorry this was so long, but its SOOOOOO good and easy to change!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2005 2:28:47 AM
Author: Kamuelamom

Date: 1/17/2005 5:42
6.gif
0 PM

When it''s done, lift out meat & veggies, turn CP to ''high'' and thicken gravy with cornstarch mixed with a little water or a rue (flour + butter heated to make a thickening paste) and taste for final seasoning.

18.gif

Jenn, this is almost exactly how I did it except I did not use the lipton this time. I seasoned my own flavorings, gave it a coat of flour then, browned it in my dutch cooker for a little while just to get a crust, then placed it in the cooker with the veggies you mentioned, poured about a cup of water and a few (scant) shakes of boullion seasoning. Threw in a can of mushrooms during the last hour of cooking and thickened it all at the end. We had leftovers tonight. Yum.
18.gif

Another variation of this is when I add a can of stewed tomatoes.

I love adding a pat of butter in the end to certain things. I do this to my chowder. It''s very french.
2.gif
Speaking of chowder, I must share my special chowder recipe. SInce the previous recipes got deleted I''ll dig it up and repost it. that will take a while to post. thanks for your patience, hopefully it will be worth it. I love soups!
36.gif
oooh, Kmom--I like the idea of browning first--will do next time for sure! And yes--that pat of butter at the end for sauces, soups, gravies just ''glosses" the sauce and adds that little bit of extra "something" ( the "j''neau ce qua" in French--horrible spelling but you know what i mean!)
2.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
oh lord, I''m hungry now and it''s only 9
6.gif
0am??? Browning that bad boy seals in all the juices....
3.gif
3.gif
3.gif
3.gif
3.gif
3.gif
3.gif
OMG. Is it dinner time yet???

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/18/2005 10
6.gif
7:40 PM
And yes--that pat of butter at the end for sauces, soups, gravies just ''glosses'' the sauce and adds that little bit of extra ''something'' ( the ''j''neau ce qua'' in French--horrible spelling but you know what i mean!)
2.gif

I was of absolutely no help to the fellow who wants to propose in Portuguese, but may I help you with this? It''s spelled, "je ne sais quoi" and pronounced "juhn say kwah".

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh! And it means, "I don't know what"!!!

Deb

mightyred

Shiny_Rock
Hi All!

I love this thread!

I like to think I am ''sous chef'' to my fella at home when we cook since he primarily does the cooking (looks very cute in an apron) and I just pass him things then eat it to make sure it tastes ok!

I do have a lovely receipe that I am making tonight ......it''s from a low carb cook book and is very yummy!

PEANUT/COCONUT CHICKEN SKEWERS

4 6-oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup of peanut butter
2 teaspons of sweetener (splenda)
1/4 tsp lime juice
1/2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp garlic powder
2 cups coconut flakes (dried & unsweetened)
approx 16 bamboo skewers

Preheat oven at 350F (about gas mark 4 for those in UK)
Line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper. Cut chicken breasts into 12 cubes and thread onto each skewer (soak skewers in water for 15 mins first).

Mix peanut butter,mayo,lime juice,sweetener,garlic and curry powder. Pour in a large shallow dish. spread coconut onto a large plate. Rll each skewer in mayo mixture coating only chicken and letting excess drip off. Roll in coconut and place on baking sheet without overlapping.
Bake for 20 mins until coconut is golden brown. Serve warm or at room temp.

Hope you enjoy :)

lindsal

Shiny_Rock
ONE POINT CHILI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good lord, this I have to try. Been counting WW points like crazy lately and this could do the trick to satisfy a chili craving. Thanks NJC.

The dear dear finance last night said, we are having fish. I am a VERY picky fish eater. But, wow did he do GOOD work. It was Scrod, which just by the name alone I thought I would hate that he herbed a bit and then tossed this curry sauce over it. And for those of us counting WW points and trying to look good for the walk down the aisle, the 4.5 oz serving including the sauce came out to like 5 pts. I''ll get receipe up here over the weekend if anyone wants it.

I love this thead now.

Chef

Rough_Rock
Wow.... Some nice looking ideas here. You sure some of you are in the right business :D
Food is love. And Love should be shared.
Keep''m coming!
36.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
chef!? how about sharing some of your recipes with us wannabe''s!!!

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
EASY Crockpot Brunswick Stew

1 - 15 oz. can Crushed Tomatoes
2 cans Swanson brand White Meat Chicken
1 can Cream Corn
1 can Whole Kernel Corn
2 cans Castlebury brand BBQ Pork
2 cans Castlebury brand BBQ Beef

Put all ingredients into crockpot and mix well. Turn on crockpot and cook on low all day and come home to a delicious meal! Serve with Jiffy Corn Muffins and enjoy

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2005 10:31:38 AM
Author: AGBF
Oh! And it means, ''I don''t know what''!!!

Deb
Thansk, Deb! Now I know how to spell it and pronounce it correctly!
2.gif
1.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/19/2005 9:51:18 PM

Date: 1/19/2005 10:31:38 AM
Author: AGBF
Oh! And it means, 'I don't know what'!!!

Deb
Thansk, Deb! Now I know how to spell it and pronounce it correctly!
2.gif
1.gif
Yeah, I appreciate knowing too, even if we still don't know what it means.
20.gif
9.gif
Chef, maybe you could enlighten us? Your handle certainly implies you know what you are doing.
9.gif
Now where are your recipes??
18.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Kmom, it's not exclusively a cooking term...it kind of means that little special something about a thing or person that makes it/them unique/unforgettable... food, a woman, a diamond....there may be that undefinable element that just makes it special.... So this French phrase is a common expression for that.

So, the butter adds that "little extra special somehting" to most foods (not to mention calories and saturated fat but hey, this isn't the diet thread
2.gif
)

Chef

Rough_Rock
I made a Classic Filet w/ Crispy Shallots and Risotto Cakes w/ Dried Cran-Raisin Demi (today)

I also served this today for lunch for my Exec''s.
They eat kinda nice for being the smartest docters in SD. imo

Tiger Shrimp Over Angel Hair & Roasted Yellow Pepper Breu Blanc. (hard on the heart!)
An easy dish. One of my fav''s for those admins..... Make the admins happy!.
About 5-6 21-35/lb Tiger Shrimp, Saute with butter, S/p and splash white wine to deglaze. Set aside
Roasted peppers ( 5) about 20min. @ 350. I toss them with a little s/p and evoo.
Place them in a bowl, wrap w/ plastic, and let them cool at room temp (about 30-40min)
Next peel skin, deseed, and strain through cheesecloth or coffee filters. Save liquid!!!
Blend with liquid, not to much though. Don''t want to add to much air in to the mix.
Take a 1 lb unsalted butter (Roomtemp). Dice it in to about 10 cudes.
Bring mixture to med/(low) heat. Add one cude stiring it in till its desolved. Then add another.... and so on. After all butter is infused. Add a touch of lemon juice.
Should be thinner than a alfado but still coats a spoon!
Get a pan hot, A little butter toss shrimp and pasta inn and about 4oz of Sauce. Add a little lemon tyhme and you got a dish that sells for $21.99 !
And you only spent about 7-8 bucks. and about 45min.

Not the best recipe. But makes for a party pleaser!

34.gif

Chef

Rough_Rock
Sorry.. I was typing a little fast through that whole thing... (sp)

But there''s alot of cooking terms that must of you know just "may" not understand.
The homestyle foods are the best... There warm comfort food makes everyone happy.
Cooking isn''t about making the $$$ dish. It''s about making food taste the way it should and the way you want it too.
chili to soup, chicken to steak
salt and pepper = a cooks two best friends
I''ll post a few more later. I just got done with the todays paperwork

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/19/2005 10:19:23 PM
Kmom, it's not exclusively a cooking term...it kind of means that little special something about a thing or person that makes it/them unique/unforgettable... food, a woman, a diamond....there may be that undefinable element that just makes it special.... So this French phrase is a common expression for that.

So, the butter adds that 'little extra special somehting' to most foods (not to mention calories and saturated fat but hey, this isn't the diet thread
2.gif
)
Got it Jenn. I'll take your answer even if you're not even a chef cuz it makes sense and sounds so kewl!
9.gif
LOL, we are chefs at heart, huh? I really thought it was a culinary thing.
1.gif
Yeah, I try not to think about the calories either, as long as the extra something is special.
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2005 10
6.gif
5:58 PM

Date: 1/19/2005 10:19:23 PM
Kmom, it''s not exclusively a cooking term...it kind of means that little special something about a thing or person that makes it/them unique/unforgettable... food, a woman, a diamond....there may be that undefinable element that just makes it special.... So this French phrase is a common expression for that.

So, the butter adds that ''little extra special somehting'' to most foods (not to mention calories and saturated fat but hey, this isn''t the diet thread
2.gif
)
Got it Jenn. I''ll take your answer even if you''re not even a chef cuz it makes sense and sounds so kewl!
9.gif
LOL, we are chefs at heart, huh? I really thought it was a culinary thing.
1.gif
Yeah, I try not to think about the calories either, as long as the extra something is special.
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
hey--I got lucky. you asked about something I actually knew!
2.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/20/2005 10:25:51 PM
hey--I got lucky. you asked about something I actually knew!
2.gif
LOL, Jenn, I was sooooo impressed with your french!
9.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
CP chicken v1

1 chicken - thaw in fridge overnight.
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 can mixed veggies
4 large potato
Dice potato and insert in chicken.
Plop chicken in the cp.
Put left over potato around the chicken
add soup and 1 to 2 cans water - want it about 1/2 to 3/4 the way up.
Make sure some of it gets inside the chicken.
add the veggies.

Cook 6 hours on high.

Remove veggies that are still on top.
remove chicken and put it on a platter.
Remove potato from chicken.
Using a slotted spoon remove the veggies from the pot. Clean chicken parts out as needed.
Pour the broth into a glass bowl using a strainer to remove the chunks.
skin the grease off the broth to use as gravy.

serve

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Spicy Pumpkin Burritos
6 lg. whole wheat tortillas
1T garlic flavored oil
1 cup chopped zucchini
1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
1/4 cup chopped onions
2T chopped roasted jalepeno peppers
1-15oz. can solid packed pumpkin
1-15oz can navy beans rinsed and drained
1/4 cup water
1t cumin
1/2 t chili powder
1/2 t oregano
Shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes and sour cream.

Wrap tortillas and place in warm oven while making filling.
Sauté zucs, corn, onions and peppers in skillet. Stir in remaining ingredients. When cooked
wrap in tortillas. Serves 6.

Calories 220
Fat 3g
Fiber 8g
Carbs 45g
Protein 10g

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Bump for Firegoddess and others interested in more recipes.
18.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Adding another bump for AGBF, my dear friend.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/25/2005 4:03:44 AM
Adding another bump for AGBF, my dear friend.

You know the old tradition that if someone gives you a cake you should return the pan with a cake in it? I decided that the tradition with bumps should be that if someone bumps a recipe thread for you, you should reply with a recipe. (If you want to.)

I have been planning to make a Mississsippi Mud cake to be divided between my neighbor (who has beein ill) and my husband (who loves dark chocolate). I haven't made it yet, but the ingredients are now in the house. (I think I had everything except the chocolate already.) I may have posted this before. I have no idea. It is a cake my mother made throughout my life.

Mississippi Mud Cake

3 cups boiling water
6 pkgs chocolate
1 1/2 sticks butter

Boil the above for one minute and cool.

3 eggs, beaten
3 cups sugar

Mix into cooled chocolate mixture.

Add 3 cups regular flour, sifted with 1 1/2 tsp.s (baking) soda, 3/4 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. vanilla. (Seeing this in print I realized that the recipe appears to say that one should sift the vanilla. If it does, I never did it! I wouldn't know how to sift vanilla...unless it was powdered! And I use vanilla extract!)

Don't grease pans! (Use 2 9" square or round.) (I have used one large pan to good effect.)

Bake in a 250 degree oven for 1- 1 1/2 hours.

My mother used to powder the top with confectioner's sugar and serve the cake with real whipped cream. One can also use vanilla ice cream. I bought some dark Belgian chocolate ice cream to serve it to my husband. (If I ever make the cake. If I don't, he can eat the ice cream plain.)

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The security system guy is here, so I am home for the duration. My Mississippi Mud cake is in the oven. One layer goes to my next door neighbor, who has been ill, and the other is for my husband. I bought some whipping cream, too! The dog almost bit the security system guy. I had to explain that he does not want to spend any time on my porch!

Deb

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
*salivating*salivating*

I somehow missed KM''s first bump so I''m glad I caught this one!

I have a few recipes up my sleeve, will share when I get home tonight!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results