shape
carat
color
clarity

Recipes!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kamuelamom has a fabulous new recipe to share but nowhere to post it. This is the new home for recipes. Everyone is welcome to contribute to this thread!

Deborah

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
I look forward to reading them! Just about everything I try is from Emeril but now that I''m getting better (
5.gif
) I''m getting more interested in other things.
1.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Special thanks to AGBF for starting this thread. I dedicate this recipe to you.
2.gif
Please note is not for the fat or cholesterol concious dessert lover.
2.gif

Mandarin Dessert

Shortbread crust:
2 blocks butter or margarine
2 c. flour
4 T. powdered sugar

Mix well (manually or by food processor) until mixture forms a big ball or clump. Spread evenly into 9x13" pan and bake at 350 degrees until edges are slightly browned and crust takes on a nice color. Do not over bake. This should take about 20 - 25 minutes.

Mixture:
3 cans mandarin oranges
24 oz. sour cream
2 boxes instant vanilla pudding

Drain liquid from cans well and reserve. Mix sour cream and pudding, adding liquid until mixture is a nice consistency. This is anywhere from 1/2 - 1 cup. It should not be runny. Fold in mandarin oranges and refrigerate mixture while the crust is cooling. Spread mixture evenly over crust, then top with one tub of cool whip. Cut and serve. Enjoy!!

VARIATIONS:
- I was inspired to try making a low fat version of this using plain yogurt instead of sour cream. What I found is that the taste is lighter, but the consistency of the mixture is not as thick as with the sour cream. It is not an obviously lighter taste so in all I think is a great option. My kids barely could tell the difference in the taste, but they did notice the consistency.
- I didn't have vanilla pudding when I first tried this, so I used what I had, which was lemon pudding. That was an excellent substitution, citrus flavored with citrus fruit!

It is incredibly easy. I have made this twice during the last couple of weeks, and the lowfat version tonight. I can't seem to keep the pan filled long enough before my family devours it. The food processor to make the crust is painless, and you know when it's ready to put into the pan because it turns into a ball.
1.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks deborah and kamuelamom for starting this thread, i was hoping it would come to fruition soon! i would like to share one of my favorites:

brie with cranberry chutney

1c. fresh cranberries (can use dried)
2/3c. sugar
1/3c. apple cider vinegar
2tblsp. water
2tsp. finely chopped gingerroot
1/4tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8tsp. ground cloves

vegetable oil
1 round(8oz) brie cheese

mix cranberries, sugar, vinegar, water, gingerroot, cinnamon and cloves in saucepan. heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. cook about 20 min. stirring frequently till thickened. cool slightly. (can refrigerate up to 2 weeks)

when ready to serve, heat oven to 350. lightly brush plate with vegetable oil. place unpeeled cheese on plate and bake for 8-10 min. or till cheese is soft and partially melted.

spoon chutney over cheese and serve with crackers. ( i like to use the thin water crackers with sesame seeds)

enjoy!!!
3.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I *LOVE* shortbread, so your dessert will be right up my alley, Kamuelamom! Since I hope this does not turn into a thread of many comments and few recipes, let me post the most wonerful shortbread recipe I know. My mother got this before (or during) World War II and she used to make it for Christmas every year. (I may have posted it on Pricescope before, but I don''t know where the recipes we once posted are now, so if this is a repost: so be it!)

Scottish Shortbread (I think my mother originally called this, "Mrs. Smith''s Shortbread".)

1/2 lb butter
scant 1/2 cup confectioner''s sugar
3 cups flour (My notation says, "use less!" and is heavily underlined; I think you should listen to me. I believe it gets too crumbly with a lot of flour.)

Knead butter and sugar together, then work in flour, a little at a time. Form into two small cakes and prick fork right through to the bottom. Bake in a slow oven until light brown. (About 325 degreesF-20-25minutes-about 1/3 " thick.)

This is a great Christmas cookie recipe. I have never tasted shortbread that approaches this.

Deborah

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
This is a simple, 15-min dinner for pasta lovers, and it's an "eyeball recipe" which means just throw in the amount of each ingredient that looks good!

-2.5 cups ripe tomatoes on the vine or cherry tomatoes (even grape tomatoes would work), cut in half
-3-4 tbsp EVOO
-2 cloves garlic, finely chopped (or use Polaner chopped garlic)
- Kosher salt to taste
- cracked pepper to taste
- sugar to taste
Parmesan cheese to taste
- Pasta of your choice (I like Barilla ziti or spaghetti)

Put a pot of pasta water on to boil. Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan. add garlic. cook for a few minutes but do not let garlic burn. add tomatoes. Keep heat on med-med/high so tomatoes start to wilt/loosen up. Add a pinch of kosher salt, several generous grinds of black pepper, and 2-3 tbsp of sugar--the amount of salt & sugar you need depends on your tomatoes--sometimes they are saltier than others. Meanwhile, when pasta water comes to boil, add 2 tbsp kosher salt and about 1/2 lb of pasta. Cook pasta until it's VERY al dente & drain. Put pasta in pan with tomatoes and cook for another 1-2 minutes so pasta absorbs flavor. Toss with lots of parmesan cheese & enjoy!

variations: I've added kalamata olives to this, fresh basil, shrimp--use your imagination! For a thicker sauce, you can add a can of crushed tomatoes also. You can also add white wine or sherry to it for more flavor.
1.gif

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Artichoke Dip - Libster''s Version

There are no exact measurements for the spices, just add and taste to your liking!

1 Can Artichoke Hearts (non-marinated)
1 Cup Miracle Whip (this is the secret)
1 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
Tabasco - to taste
Garlic Powder - to taste
Cayenne Pepper - to taste
Paprika

Chop artichoke hearts and mix with miracle whip and parmesan cheese. Add a couple dashes of tabasco, shake or two of garlic powder, shake or two of cayenne. Spread in baking dish and shake on paprika for color. Bake in 350 degree oven covered with aluminum foil for 20 minutes, then uncovered for 10 additional minutes. Serve with Triscuits or whatever cracker you choose.
35.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/12/2005 8:29
6.gif
5 PM
Author: Jennifer5973

-3-4 tbsp EVOO

This recipe looks fantastic because it gives the pasta a chance to absorb sauce, something it often will not do unless left in sauce overnight (which my real Italian husband would never in a million years eat). I like the other recipes posted here, too. Where were they when I *NEEDED* ideas for hor d''oeuvres before Christmas?! I shall print out this thread! Keep those gems coming, gals!!!

Deb

PS-What is "EVOO"?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
extra virgin olive oil
(?)

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2005 10:39:25 PM
Author: belle
extra virgin olive oil
(?)
Yes! Sorry!

Deb--I will take a *bow* and say I just made this up one night (but it's not rocket science, let's face it
2.gif
--you'd be surprised at how the simple flavor of tomatoes, some EVOO & garlic are delicious. You can even add some crushed red pepper for a little heat, if you wish!
1.gif

PS I cannot wait to make Kmom's dessert--I love mandarin oranges. I make orange jell-O and after it sets up a bit, I open a can of Geisha brand mandarin orange wedges and "push" them down into the jell-o... in the summer, it is sooooo refreshing, esp with a little cool whip (I am SUCH a cool whip sucker).
1.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/12/2005 10:39:25 PM
extra virgin olive oil
(?)
LOL, Belle, don't know what you're doing in your spare time but you need to be watching Rachel Ray on Food Network. She says "EVOO" *all the time.* I LOVE Rachel Ray. She's so spunky.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/12/2005 10:43:35 PM
Author: Jennifer5973

Yes! Sorry!

Deb--I will take a *bow* and say I just made this up one night (but it's not rocket science, let's face it
2.gif
--you'd be surprised at how the simple flavor of tomatoes, some EVOO & garlic are delicious. You can even add some crushed red pepper for a little heat, if you wish!
1.gif

PS I cannot wait to make Kmom's dessert--I love mandarin oranges. I make orange jell-O and after it sets up a bit, I open a can of Geisha brand mandarin orange wedges and 'push' them down into the jell-o... in the summer, it is sooooo refreshing, esp with a little cool whip (I am SUCH a cool whip sucker).
1.gif
Jenn, you're a girl after my own heart. I love making up recipes. I am not afraid to experiment and/or substitute if one ingredient or another is missing. That, to me, is the beauty of cooking. Now baking, that's a whole different story since it's more scientific.

LOL at pushing the mandarins into the jello.
9.gif
I love Cool whip also.
36.gif
The light one for less guilt (I guess
33.gif
) although I'm a firm believer that if you're going to have it (dessert) just go for the real thing. For example, I never use sugar substitutes in my coffee
9.gif
I just think what's the point?
9.gif
But for some reason I have really come to like the lite version of Cool Whip.

Deb, I tried making my own marinara one night. I think I did OK, but something was missing. It was similar to Jenn's creation only I used canned tomatoes and cooked them to death. And I added dried basil at the very end.

Keep these recipes coming!

What kinds of recipes would you food lovers like to see posted? Ethnic, desserts, salads? Bring it on!!!!!!

I wish there were a hug smiley for Deb. (((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))))
36.gif

~kmom
35.gif

BLINGQUEEN

Shiny_Rock
ANYONE HAVE ANY VEGETARIAN RECIPES
18.gif
? I'M GETTING BORED WITH MY FOOD CHOICES. NO MEAT, SEAFOOD OR POULTRY, NO EGGS OR MAYO, OR ANYHING WITH MEAT BROTH AS A BASE. OH AND NO GELATIN!! DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT'S MADE OF
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif
?????????????

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/13/2005 5:37:57 AM
Author: BLINGQUEEN
ANYONE HAVE ANY VEGETARIAN RECIPES
18.gif
? I''M GETTING BORED WITH MY FOOD CHOICES.

I had been considering posting a recipe I love and your posting actually gave me the impetus to search for it...but to no avail. Since we moved, my cookbooks have not been organized. It is a great recipe for a salad using fresh grapefruit and orange segments (with spinach?). The dressing is raspberry based with poppyseeds. I will continue to look!

Deborah

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Superb Spinach and Citrus Salad

Wash and dry fresh spinach and use as a bed. Peel and section one grapefruit and two or more oranges. Put fruit sections onto spinach. Mix dressing, pour over ingredients, toss.

Dressing (mix to taste; increase or decrease as one likes):

1/3 cup raspberry vinegar
3/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. poppy seeds
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. or so diced, fresh onion

This is a really refreshing salad!

Deborah

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
for blingqueen:

ratatouille

2 tbl. olive oil
1 onion chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
1 small eggplant, unpeeled coarsly chunked
2 small zucchini, unpeeled coarsly chunked
1 green pepper coarsly chopped
2 14.5oz cans tomato pieces
1/4 c. minced fresh parsley
1/2 tsp. minced fresh basil
4 tsp. cornstarch

saute onion and garlic in oil till just tender. add eggplant, zucchini, bell pepper and continue cooking till about half done. stir in tomato, parsley, basil. bring to boil, lower heat and simmer 5 min.
blen cornstarch into cold water; stir into veggies. stir for about 1-2 min, till slightly thickened. add salt & pepper if you like!

this is good over baked potatoes, or brown rice.
3.gif

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Mom''s Vegetable Soup!

1lb Ground Turkey
1 Medium Onion Chopped
Brown and drain

Add:

1 Jar Ragu Mushroom & Green Peppers Sauce
1 Can Beef Broth with 2 additional cans of water
1 Cup Chopped Celery
minced garlic = 1-2 teaspoons
1 Tablespoon Sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Bring to a boil - lower heat to simmer - cover and simmer for 20 minutes

Add:

1 Can Rotel - you choose your desired level of spice!
1 Package Frozen Mixed Vegetables

Bring to a boil - lower heat to simmer - cover and simmer for 10 minutes

Serve with cornbread and enjoy

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
This is really nothing too exciting but I just love my macaroni...not for those looking for low fat or low carb...but it's something different ... I never measure so you'll have to wing it

Pasta and Red Pepper Sauce

Couple of red peppers (4-5), puree very well
Boil with some milk and some half and half or heavy cream if you dare
1/2 stick butter
Pinch of corn starch
Some garlic (powder or fresh)
White pepper
Salt and black pepper to taste

Cut up some chicken and saute in a pan.
Add some steamed cut up asparagus

Yum!

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/13/2005 3:32:16 PM
Author: moremoremore
This is really nothing too exciting but I just love my macaroni...not for those looking for low fat or low carb...but it''s something different ... I never measure so you''ll have to wing it

Pasta and Red Pepper Sauce

Couple of red peppers (4-5), puree very well
Boil with some milk and some half and half or heavy cream if you dare
1/2 stick butter
Pinch of corn starch
Some garlic (powder or fresh)
White pepper
Salt and black pepper to taste

Cut up some chicken and saute in a pan.
Add some steamed cut up asparagus

Yum!
MMM, yum, it''s loaded with fat and cholesterol. That''s right up my disgusting alley.
11.gif
Can''t wait to try it!

Bling queen, has anyone ever told you that using all caps on a forum is like YELLING? Unless you are hard of hearing, would you mind turning off the caps lock? Thank you.

Here''s a veggie recipe for you:

VEGGIE CHILI
One med round onion
4-5 cloves of garlic
2-3 carrots
2-3 stalks of celery
3-4 assorted cans of beans
2 cans of tomatoes
Chili powder
Cumin
Water or broth
Salt & pepper to taste

Chop all vegetables and saute in oil for a few minutes. Add some broth (veggie broth or water if you absolutely can''t have meat broth), just enough to cover the vegetables and cook until vegetables are medium consistency. Add in canned tomatoes. Cook another 10-15 minutes. Add chili powder and s/p to taste. Cumin is necessary for that "chili" flavor. Add this at the end until you get the taste you desire.

This is truly a non-measured recipe. Once you experience making it you can experiment with other types of veggies (peppers, corn, potatoes, zucchini, etc), and adjust the flavors according to your taste.

Serve with cornbread, rice or macaroni. Yum!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/13/2005 3:22:56 PM
Author: Libster
Mom''s Vegetable Soup!

1lb Ground Turkey

Oh, no! Not turkey! Ever since Mad Cow Disease made it to the newspapers I have not wanted to eat beef. The desriptions of how the industry worked were inescapable and way too off-putting. I also stopped eating pork figuring that if I didn''t want to eat badly treated cows I certainly didn''t want to eat pigs, which are even smarter! So I use turkey for meatballs and meat sauce and lasagne. I just made meatballs and ate...well, I couldn''t even guess how many I ate! I can hardly move, but I managed to make it to the computer. I didn''t *start* my reading with this thread, but I had to visit it and...more turkey!!! I *have* met turkeys (wild turkeys) in the street. I hope I don''t start to feel too tender towards them, too, or I may become a vegetarian!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I can do this! Ripe Olive Tapenade Expelled Lightly?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2005 4:28
6.gif
6 PM
Author: AGBF

lol! when i first saw "evoo", i was thinking cognac---especial very old old. quickly decided that wasn''t right, too many olds!!

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/13/2005 4:39
6.gif
0 PM
lol! when i first saw ''evoo'', i was thinking cognac---especial very old old. quickly decided that wasn''t right, too many olds!!
Belle ROTF!!!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/13/2005 4:28
6.gif
6 PM
Author: AGBF

Rotel is just that...Rotel - Diced tomatoes and green chilies

rotel.gif

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
For all the Mom''s with picky eaters...here is one for you! My Mom made this for me when I was younger and it''s still a household favorite
16.gif

Little Meat Pies

1lb Ground Beef ( I''m sure you can substitute with turkey
2.gif
)
1/2 Cup BBQ Sauce with onions
1-2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 Can large biscuits
Grated cheddar cheese

Brown ground beef and drain. Add BBQ sauce and brown sugar and simmer for about 15 minutes. Flatten biscuits and shape each in a muffin tin, bringing biscuit out over the edge. Add above mixture and top with the cheese. Bake at required temperature on biscuit can for about 12-15 minutes. This can also be made in mini muffin tins for delicious apetizers.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Baked Ziti - very easy and sure to be a favorite!

1 (16 oz.) package ziti pasta
2 (26.5 oz.) cans spaghetti sauce
6 oz. provolone cheese, sliced
6 oz. mozzarella cheese shredded
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1 pound ground beef
1 onion, chopped
grated Parmesan cheese
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.

Brown onion and ground beef over medium heat. Add spaghetti sauce, and simmer 15 minutes.

Layer as follows in buttered 8x12 inch baking dish: 1/2 of the ziti, provolone cheese, sour cream, 1/2 spaghetti sauce, remaining ziti, mozzarella cheese, and remaining sauce.
Top with grated Parmesan cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes, or until cheeses are melted.

Makes 8 servings

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Hashbrown Caserole

2lb frozen hash brown potatoes
1 cup onions, diced
1 can cream of chicken soup
16 oz. sour cream
1/2 cup margarine, melted
8 oz. sharp cheese, grated
salt and pepper to taste

Thaw potatoes about 30 minutes, then mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Place in a 9x13 inch baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Easy side dish!

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Breakfast Caserole

1lb sausage
6 slices bread, buttered
1 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
6 eggs
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon salt

Brown and drain sausage. Line 9x13 pan with bread, buttered side down. Top with sausage and sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top. Mix and pour remaining ingredients on top. Chill overnight. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
I had this at a girlfriends house and she served as a side dish with sliced ham and it was to die for!

Hot pineapple side dish

1 - 20 oz can crushed pineapple
1 cup sugar
1 box Duncan Hines Butter Recipe Golden cake mix
1 stick of butter
1 - 2 cups of pecan halves

In a 9x13 pan, stir crushed pineapple, refill can with water and add, mix in 1 cup of sugar. Next sprinkle cake mix over ingredients, but do not stir. Slice butter over top and add pecans, do not stir! Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
My favorite Pie - another Mom recipe
16.gif

Millionaire Pie

1 - 15oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/3 marschino cherries (drain and chop)
1/3 cup crushed pineapple (drain with slotted spoon)
1 baked pie shell, pastry or graham cracker crumb crust (graham cracker crust is my favorite)
1 container of cool whip

Blend all ingredients except crust. Pour into prepared crust and chill at least two hours, preferably overnight. Top with cool whip and serve.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results