shape
carat
color
clarity

Recipes!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
mushroom rice chicken breast

Do not use instant rice for this.
Take a 9x13 glass pan and cover the bottom 1/4 inch thick with uncooked rice. (this is how i figure it I have no clue how many cups it is)
Pour rice into boiling water and cook 1/2 the time called for on the pakage.
Drain out water dont rince.
Mix 1 can cream of mushroom soup and aprox. 1 can water with the rice add the water slowly you want it stew thick not soup thin or pudding thick but in between.
Put in bottom of 9x13 glass pan.
lay 4-6 thawed chicken breasts on top.
Then optionaly put another can of cream of mushroom soup over the top no water spreading it evenly.

Cook at 350 until the chicken is done and the rice is thick.
about 45 min.
Serves 4 to 6

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/1/2005 11:16:50 PM
Author: strmrdr
Mix 1 can cream of mushroom soup and aprox. 1 can water with the rice add the water slowly you want it stew thick not soup thin or pudding thick but in between.

This looks heavenly to me, but I have a family that doesn''t like anything "mushy". My husband eats broiled, grilled, and baked meat or fish (the method of preparation depending on what it is). He doesn''t like stew or thick soups. He asks me to water down soups that are already thick (and wonderful), be they canned New England clam chowder or homemade split pea soup with barley that my father makes! They (my husband and our daughter) don''t eat gravy. The only sauce they like is a little spaghetti sauce (and I mean a little,my husband is from northern Italy) on pasta.

That is why crockpot cooking has not been something I have done. The recipes here made me decide to order one again, though. I can use it for holiday cooking, if for nothing else. The rich potato recipes I have seen since the crockpot thread was started, have made me realize it would be an easy way to make a potato side dish in quantity when the oven is being used by several people at once at Easter, Thanksgiving, or Christmas!

Deb

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
it thickens up to thick rice pudding consistancy when its done.
The rice takes in a lot of the water.
Dont add the second can and I bet they would love it.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
This has been my favorite chicken recipe all summer...I have been devouring it and then making up another batch! It''s timeless however, and awesome served with a side of rice or some mashed potatoes. The lemon rind is crucial - it really zings up the filling!!!

Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Artichokes, Lemon, and Goat Cheese

2 1/2 Tbs seasoned breadcrumbs (Italian style or garlic works well)
2 tsp grated lemon rind
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
6 oz jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
3 oz herbed goat cheese, softened (I use plain goat cheese and it works well)
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts

Preheat oven to 375F. Combine first six ingredients in a bowl, stirring well.
Pound chicken breasts between sheets of wax paper using a meat mallet to tenderize and thin out chicken.
Top each breast with 2 Tbs cheese mixture and roll up chicken in jelly roll fashion. Tuck in sides, fasten with tooth picks.
Heat a nonstick skillet and coat with cooking spray. Add chicken and cook 3 minutes per side to brown.
Wrap handle of skillet with tin foil and bake entire thing in oven for 15 minutes or until chicken is done.
4 servings, 234 calories each, 33 g protein, 7.8 g fat (3.5 g is saturated), 7.2 g carbs

Rockchick

Brilliant_Rock
3.gif
3.gif
3.gif

all these recipes are GREAT!!!

I have to add my favorite chicken recipe at the moment...

I''m european so measurments are a little different, and please excuse the bad spelling
14.gif

ok so her goes...

one whole chicken
thyme
rosemary (?)
parsley
butter (non-salted) about 250 gr depending on how big the chicken is...
salt and pepper
2 limes
bacon if you want..

put the butter and all the ingredients except the lime into a bowl (chopped ofcourse and as much as you like) mix it, add the skin (?) of 1 lime to it and squeeze 1/2 a lime into the mix. make sure everything is all mixed up in the butter. try carefully to loosen the skin between chicken and breast and put the butter between it. Its a messy job, but worth it..
1.gif
make sure all the flavoured butter is between the chicken..preheat the oven at 200 C. get a bakingtray and put the chicken breast down in the oven for +/- 30 min in the oven (again depending on the size of you chicken...) then after 30 minutes turn it and have it in the oven for another 30 min...

yummm

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/1/2005 11:16:50 PM
Author: strmrdr
mushroom rice chicken breast

Do not use instant rice for this.

Take a 9x13 glass pan and cover the bottom 1/4 inch thick with uncooked rice. (this is how i figure it I have no clue how many cups it is)

Pour rice into boiling water and cook 1/2 the time called for on the pakage.

Drain out water dont rince.

Put in bottom of 9x13 glass pan.

lay 4-6 thawed chicken breasts on top.

Then optionaly put another can of cream of mushroom soup over the top no water spreading it evenly.

Cook at 350 until the chicken is done and the rice is thick.

about 45 min.

Serves 4 to 6

Can this be made in a crockpot?

Deb

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
As requested by AGBF...here is my recipe for:

Panettone Bread Pudding

1/2 of a large panettone, cut into chunks (note: I used almost the whole panettone...made 2 layers in a 9x13 pan)
3 eggs + 3 extra yolks
2 cups half n half (you can use cream or whole milk instead...I compromised and used half n half)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup sugar
a little fresh grated nutmeg
1/3 cup rum (I omitted this)

Whisk all ingredients together except the bread. Pour custard over bread and let it soak up the custard awhile (no more than 2 hours in the fridge.) I also threw in some chocolate chips between the 2 layers of panettone.
18.gif

Put into 9x13x2 or oval baker or even individual muffin tin cups. Put baker in a roasting pan filled with hot water to softly bake. Bake at 350F for 25 minutes, or till toothpick comes out clean! Serve warm or at room temp. Pairs AWESOMELY with a scoop of cold vanilla ice cream!!!!

Enjoy! This was a big hit at Christmas this year!!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, FireGoddess! I am going to print it out and put it into my notebook of holiday recipes!!!

Deb

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds heavenly FG!!
18.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FireGoddess,

The panettone bread pudding I am making for tomorrow is in the "soaking" stage. I had to substitute pumpkin pie spice for nutmeg because my mother must have gone through her spices and for some reason she kept lots of paprika and some mace (who uses mace?) but got rid of her nutmeg. By the time I realized there was no nutmeg in the house there was snow on the ground and the stores were closed! (I was assembling the pudding at 9:30 or 10:00 pm!!)

I''ll let you know how it goes over here! Happy New Year!

Deb

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m keeping my fingers crossed that it goes over well! I''m not the biggest nutmeg fan so I know I used less than the recipe called for anyway, and threw in some cinnamon, which I like much better. I hope it''s a hit! Ours got devoured.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK...I didn''t taste the bread pudding, but I heard it was great. New topic.

I have eaten duck with orange in various forms, but never cooked it. I am roasting chicken in my usual way tonight butter (tons of it-under the skin and inside the bird); salt; white pepper; and poultry seasoning.

I have some big Mineola tangelos sitting on the kitchen table and I wondered about just cutting them up and putting them inside and around the chicken. Has anyone ever used fresh oranges or tangerines with roasted chicken? The recipes I see seem to call for orange juice and brown sugar. I was thinking butter and fresh orange. Any ideas? Any past successes?

I also wouldn''t mind trying a good orange marmalade and chicken recipe if anyone has one!

Deb, sometimes sick of being a housewife ;-)
34.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
why not...try the oranges! if you can put lemons all around it then why not oranges?

i actually used to go to a persian restaurant where they had the best chicken which they did with lemons, dijon mustard and a bunch of random spices i never figured out, well one day they did it with oranges and we went that day and it was AWESOME. hands down some of the best chicken i have ever had!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with Mara. Sounds delish. Let us know how it turns out Deb!!!
18.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, kaleigh and Mara...you gave me courage. I didn''t stop and think. I peeled and sectioned a tangelo then put segments inside and outside the chicken. I also added orange juice. I hope my family doesn''t hate it. Maybe if I get the outside browned well, they will live with it. They tend to like things simple ;-).

Thanks for giving me the courage to try this!

As I threw out the peel (which smelled great) I was thinking, "I could have grated some peel onto the chicken, too!"

Deb ;-)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bet they will love it. Glad you added the OJ too. Will be nice and juicy that way. I can smell it now, haha.
31.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's gonna be great. Next time, make a rice pilaf to go with it and put some orange rinds in the pilaf! One of my favorite dishes with orange is also Persian - they have a rice pilaf with orange rind, pistachios, currants...delish with some saffron chicken!!!
18.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/13/2006 8:25:14 PM
Author: FireGoddess
It''s gonna be great.

I never had anything so good in my life...and I probably put on 5 lbs!!! I used an entire stick of butter, a huge tangelo, orange juice and the spices mentioned above (salt, white pepper, poultry seasoning). I got the chicken very brown and crisp on the outside. The sauce (some of which which I ate on my chicken) was delicious and the tangelo pieces cooked in a butter sauce were dense and sweet and orange-y like some kind of exotic orange fig or date! I ate nothing else with this (except Dijon mustard on the side), but the calories in the butter...! Well, let''s just say that next time I make it I''d better not eat it.

My family ate small portions of it. Next time I make this will be for a holiday. My extended family will eat this! Someone should sell those pieces of orange on a street corner! What a treat!

Deb

34.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Any fun marinades for grilling as we approach the warmer weather??
18.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wanted to post this recipe from Cooking Light...we tried it last nite and it was really divine, and it''s healthy too!! I would double the mustard, because I like stronger tasting sauces...but Greg liked it just the way it was. We had it with a salad with walnuts and bleu cheese...yum!

Tilapia in Mustard Cream Sauce

"Orange roughy or chicken can be used instead of tilapia, and tomatoes or spinach can be substituted for mushrooms." -Alix McLearen, Wesley Chapel, FL

4 (6-ounce) tilapia fillets
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
Cooking spray
3/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 ounce portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons whipping cream
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

Sprinkle fish with thyme, pepper, and salt. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add fish; cook 1 minute on each side. Add broth, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook, uncovered, 1 minute or until mushrooms are tender. Remove fish from pan; keep warm. Add cream and mustard to pan; stir with a whisk until well combined. Cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Serve sauce over fish.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 fillet and 1/4 cup sauce)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 184(22% from fat); FAT 4.6g (sat 2.1g,mono 1g,poly 0.4g); PROTEIN 32.7g; CHOLESTEROL 134mg; CALCIUM 40mg; SODIUM 536mg; FIBER 0.6g; IRON 2.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 1.2g

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Mara--that fish dish sounds great. What do you serve with it? It like fish, but I''m always at a loss for side dishes.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh. My. WORD. We are in love with this new soup recipe I tried from Cooking Light yesterday. I couldn't believe how amazing it was, and DH loved it so much he ate two bowls, and requested it for dinner again tonight. I think we're also going to make it when a friend comes for dinner this week. Heaven!!!! Super easy, super healthy, and delish. The tang of the lemon in the soup....YUM.

Can serve with crusty bread and a side tossed salad.

Quick Avgolemono, Orzo, and Chicken Soup
"Avgolemono (ahv-goh-LEH-moh-noh) is a tangy Greek soup that combines chicken broth, eggs, and lemon juice. Traditional versions include rice, our interpretation uses orzo."

Total time: 35 minutes
6 c fat free, less sodium chicken broth
1 tsp finely chopped fresh dill
1/2 c uncooked orzo
4 large eggs
1/3 c fresh lemon juice
1 cup shredded carrot
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
8 oz skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces

Bring broth and dill to boil in a large saucepan. Add orzo. Reduce heat and simmer 5 min or until orzo is slightly tender. Remove from heat.
Place eggs and juice in a blender. Process until smooth. Remove 1 c broth from pan with ladle, making sure to leave out orzo. With blender on, slowly add broth, process until smooth.
Add carrot, salt, pepper, and chicken to pan. Bring to simmer over medium heat and cook 5 min or until chicken and orzo are done.
Reduce heat to low. Slowly stir in egg mixture, cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly (do not boil).
Yield: 4 servings, serving size 2 cups.

Cal 228, fat 6.3 g (sat 1.9g, mono 2.2 g, poly 1 g), protein 25.3 g, carb 16.6 g

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Sounds great!

I made Beer Chicken last night..I love it

Chop one onion and one red pepper (I like to peel it first). saute in a little butter / oil....
Add 2/3 cup chicken broth...low fat / solium is fine
Add 1 cup light beer. Cover and simmer a few minutes.

Take a package of thin chicken cutlets and pat with flour and brown in sep. pan.

Add the chicken breasts. Cover. Simmer for about 20 minutes

REMOVE from heat. SLOWLY add 4 tablespoons of sour cream (I use light or fat free)...

Serve with brown or white rice or no rice. it''s fab.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh FG I absolutely LOVE that soup, we have had it at Greek restaurants, I am SO glad you found a great recipe for it that''s healthy to boot! Maybe this is what we will have for dinner tonite.

ID...we aren''t huge on side dishes when it''s just us at home, but I got a whole foods salad and served that for us on the side...though I guess you could do a basmati rice or even a garlic pastas or something. Or even just steamed veggies would be fab, like cauliflower and broccoli.

I was just thinking this morning about our menu for the week, this tilapia is definitely on the list!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
FG, I made the soup recipe last nite, yummy! I''m eating the rest of it for lunch today! Greg loved it too!

We had it with crusty italian bread with butter, YUM. I was stuffed after eating my bowl, how did you guys add a salad in there too?!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2006 2:34:31 PM
Author: Mara
FG, I made the soup recipe last nite, yummy! I''m eating the rest of it for lunch today! Greg loved it too!

We had it with crusty italian bread with butter, YUM. I was stuffed after eating my bowl, how did you guys add a salad in there too?!
Hehe - we didn''t have a salad the first time. I couldn''t fit another bite in.
9.gif

Last night a friend came over and we had the soup again
18.gif
but I poured smaller bowls of soup and we had a tomato/cuke/green onion salad on the side. 3 times in 4 days - love that soup!! Glad it came out well for you guys. My friend loved it too - he''s in town for the week and is coming for dinner again tonight - wanted me to make the soup AGAIN and I had to put my foot down.
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The one thing I would modify for the future is I didn''t love the chicken, it tasted too much like boiled chicken to me and I am sooo picky about my chicken. So I''d do it next time without the chicken (I actually picked out the chicken in my lunch portion today) but the orzo was great and I had to also add a little bit more salt for taste. I''m such a salt lover!

OH and was it just me or did the whole adding the 1c of broth into the blender NOT work out so well? My blender was spurting up everywhere as I tried to pour it in while blending, I had to just pour it all in and close the lid then run the blender.

I am totally motivated now to find more recipes from Cooking Light, maybe we should start a new thread for healthy stuff to try out or fave ones.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2006 3:58:33 PM
Author: Mara
The one thing I would modify for the future is I didn''t love the chicken, it tasted too much like boiled chicken to me and I am sooo picky about my chicken. So I''d do it next time without the chicken (I actually picked out the chicken in my lunch portion today) but the orzo was great and I had to also add a little bit more salt for taste. I''m such a salt lover!

OH and was it just me or did the whole adding the 1c of broth into the blender NOT work out so well? My blender was spurting up everywhere as I tried to pour it in while blending, I had to just pour it all in and close the lid then run the blender.

I am totally motivated now to find more recipes from Cooking Light, maybe we should start a new thread for healthy stuff to try out or fave ones.
The chicken definitely has a plain taste (might taste good pan seared first or something) so I cut it up into really small pieces, and then you don''t taste plain chicken so much as the soup flavoring the little morsels of chicken.

The broth in the blender was fine for me but what I did was to do the eggs and lemon juice together in the blender with the top on, and while that was going, I opened up the small opening in the lid and slowly poured the stock into it. I think the main thing about streaming the hot broth in is just not to cook the eggs!!

The thread sounds like a good idea! I can start one up if you haven''t already.
1.gif
I admit, since that recipe worked out so well...I have been scanning and rescanning my back issues of Cooking Light looking for something else to make! I ordered a 2 year subscrip back in Jan but it hasn''t started coming yet...any day now!!

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
My nesting instinct has kicked in, and I've been cooking loads more than I used to
2.gif

Here's a recipe for Braised Duck Sauce, which I serve with pasta (fettucine or paparadelle works best).

BRASATO D`ANATRA
500 gr celery, julienne
500 gr carrots, julienne
500 gr onion, julienne
3 kg duck legs
1kg whole peeled tomatoes (tinned tomatoes will do)
1 small tin of tomato paste
1 btl red wine
500 ml vegetable or chicken stock
5 bay leaves

In a big pot, sauté the vegetables with olive oil. Meanwhile flour the duck legs and then pan-fry them until golden. Put the duck legs into the pot together with the vegetables. Then add the wine, the bay leaves, and the peeled tomato and tomato paste. Crush the tomatoes into the pot with your hands (or pour tinned tomatoes in). Pour in the stock and bring everything to a boil. As soon as it boils, lower the heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours.

After 2 hours, separate the meat from the sauce. Remove excess fat and skin. Then debone the duck legs, mixing the meat back into the vegetables and sauce. Leave to rest.

Cook your noodles. Then reheat a portion of the sauce in a pan with butter, black pepper, and salt. Add some of the boiled/cooked noodles and toss. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and parsley over the pasta and serve immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results