shape
carat
color
clarity

Recipes!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow, libster! you can''t go wrong with one of my favorites, millionaire pie!! yum
18.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/13/2005 5:54:33 PM
Author: Libster
I had this at a girlfriends house and she served as a side dish with sliced ham and it was to die for!

Hot pineapple side dish

1 - 20 oz can crushed pineapple

1 cup sugar

1 box Duncan Hines Butter Recipe Golden cake mix

1 stick of butter

1 - 2 cups of pecan halves

In a 9x13 pan, stir crushed pineapple, refill can with water and add, mix in 1 cup of sugar. Next sprinkle cake mix over ingredients, but do not stir. Slice butter over top and add pecans, do not stir! Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.

This is a cross between two recipes I make often: an easy cherry cake (made with cake mix) and a pineapple casserole (made with crushed pineapple in its own juice, cubed white bread, and sugar)! I''ll try to post both recipes.

Deborah

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Deb, I can't wait to try your scottish shortbread recipe. Every year I tell myself I'm going to bake a good shortbread for giveaways. I'm still in the recipe collecting stage.
20.gif
Last year I claim pure burnout.
14.gif
This year I have no excuse. Thanks for the inspiration.
1.gif
Where are my snow pics?
33.gif

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF,
I''d love to have the cherry one if you can find it!! Thanks for starting this thread, a girl can never have too many tried and true recipes....ummmm guys to
21.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
This is another eyeball recipe. I made it up but everyone I know loves it and you can do so many variations.

Quick chicken saute

Thin sliced chicken cutlets, trimmed & pounded slightly (maybe 1-1.5 lbs, about 5-6 large cutlets, or more if you're like I am and trim everything to death so you end up with a lot of smaller pieces)
seasoned bread crumbs
grated parmesan cheese
1 egg
olive oil
white wine (decent stuff you'd drink--the food store "cooking wine" is all salt--avoid)
garlic powder
kosher salt
fresh cracked pepper
fresh lemons (one or 2 will do depending on how much you are making & how much lemon flavor you like)
fresh flat leaf parsley (optional but don't use dried--leave it out then)

heat 3-4 tbsp olive oil in a chicken fryer type pan or large saute pan on med-high flame. beat the egg up in a bowl. mix equal parts of the bread crumbs and parmesan in a large flat bowl (you want enough of this to coat all your chicken). dip cutlets first in egg and then in cheese/crumb mixture to coat well. fry cutlets in pan, adding more oil if needed. when cutlets are nicely browned on both sides, add about 1 cup white wine, sprinkle entire surface evenly with garlic powder, add a pich of salt and several grinds of black peper. Turn heat to low-med and let simmer, gently stirring to coat chicken and mix seasoning, until much of the liquid evaporates and you have a thick sauce. Squeeze fresh lemon over pan, gently stir and sprinkle with fresh parsely. Serve with rice or pasta. I like to serve this with thin spaghetti, cooked al dente, tossed with just a bit of EVOO and sprinkled with cracked pepper & pamesan. YUMMY.
18.gif

Note: you can always add more wine to 'loosen it" so this is a great dish to make in advance of company--you can "bring it back" by heating it and adding more wine (or chicken broth).

Variations:

I've added capers, kalamata olives, sundried tomatoes and quartered artichoke hearts (from the can) at the point where you add the wine. Just make sure anything you add is well drained, so the dish isn't soupy.
1.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Easy Cherry Cobbler

Spread 1 can cherry pie filling
(I use 1/2 can cherry pie filling and 1/2 can tart cherries and always make two cakes at the same time, thereby using up the can of pie filling!)
in a greased 9" x 9" pan. Sprinkle 1/2 box cake mix (yellow or white) over the cherries.
Pour 1/2 cup melted butter or margarine and 1/2 cup water over the cake mix. Sprinkle 1/2 -1 cup chopped nuts over that. Bake at 400 degrees for 1/2 hour.

This is not a gourmet dessert, but it is always eaten up!

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Baked Pineapple Casserole

Mix 1 stick of softened margarine or butter with 1 cup sugar. Beat 2 eggs and fold into butter/margarine and sugar. Add 1 regular size can pineapple in its own juice. Cube five slices of white bread without crusts and fold into mixture. (Use more bread if it is too juicy.) Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.

This goes well with ham, but it goes well with anything or on its own. It is delicious and no one ever knows what is in it. It is not as sweet as the Easy Cherry Cobbler made with a cake mix and I serve it as a side dish, but there is always at least one person at a party who thinks it is a dessert.

Deb

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WARNING -- IF YOU ARE FAT-PHOBIC READ NO FURTHER

Deep fried candy bars with pineapple

1 cup self-rising flour
about 1 cup of soda water
8 fun-sized Mounds bars
approx. 2 quarts sunflower or other oil for deep frying

1 ripe pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut in chunks

Measure flour into bowl and whisk in 3/4 cup of soda water to make the batter, adding rest of water if consistency is too thick. It should adhere easily to the candy. Dip candy bars into batter and fry in hot oil for about 3 minutes until batter is puffed and golden. Drain on papertowel. Serve with pineapple chunks (and a good bottle of rum as the accompanying beverage is just dandy with the candy).

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Libster,

I keep looking at your pineapple recipe and I think I have to try it. Since it is similar to my Easy Cherry Cobbler recipe I think I would serve it as a pineapple cake. When it is baked does it look as if it could be a pineapple cake? (I invert my cherry cobbler, which puts the colorful red side up, then serve it with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.)

Deborah

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2005 11:12:24 PM
Author: Matata
WARNING -- IF YOU ARE FAT-PHOBIC READ NO FURTHER

Deep fried candy bars with pineapple

1 cup self-rising flour
about 1 cup of soda water
8 fun-sized Mounds bars
approx. 2 quarts sunflower or other oil for deep frying

1 ripe pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut in chunks

Measure flour into bowl and whisk in 3/4 cup of soda water to make the batter, adding rest of water if consistency is too thick. It should adhere easily to the candy. Dip candy bars into batter and fry in hot oil for about 3 minutes until batter is puffed and golden. Drain on papertowel. Serve with pineapple chunks (and a good bottle of rum as the accompanying beverage is just dandy with the candy).
Holy Toledo!
18.gif
37.gif

BLINGQUEEN

Shiny_Rock
emembarrassed.gif
Oh my!!!!!I''m so sorry. I''ve been yelling at everyone!!!!!!!!!! I have carpel tunnel and its just easier to not have to shift tocaps. I do it at work and just got lazy about it.
emembarrassed.gif
Wonder how many people I''ve offended
23.gif
?
Anyway, thanks for veggie recipees. Keep um comin.

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/14/2005 1:14:37 AM
Author: BLINGQUEEN
emembarrassed.gif
Oh my!!!!!I'm so sorry. I've been yelling at everyone!!!!!!!!!! I have carpel tunnel and its just easier to not have to shift tocaps. I do it at work and just got lazy about it.
emembarrassed.gif
Wonder how many people I've offended
23.gif
?

Anyway, thanks for veggie recipees. Keep um comin.

Ouch! Carpal tunnel. Just don't use any caps- it's easier to read, and you won't have to shift.
1.gif

I have some excellent Indian daal recipes (vegan), I'll try to post some.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
MrsFrk, I want to see some indian recipes! I don''t mind meat if you have any of those tucked away, but veggie recipes will do.
9.gif

My cookbook collection is OUT OF CONTROL. That is my real passion, honestly. In my later life, after the kids leave, I''d like to attend culinary school as one of my life goals. I am a common sense cook, but I think that culinary school could really teach me about the technical aspects of cooking, and also about presentation. I really need to work on that.
20.gif

Simple quiche:
1 deep dish pie crust
3 eggs
1 c. 1/2 & 1/2
salt & pepper to taste
nutmeg

Filling:
Spinach, steamed broccoli, chopped ham, chopped red peppers ( use a combination of these items, be creative)
1 c. shredded cheese (mozz, swiss, guerey [how the heck do you spell that?], gorgonzola [very strong, mix with a milder variety if you use this])

Mix liquid filling well & set aside. Layer the assortment of ingredients in the pie pan, then gently pour liquid mixture into it. I usually layer a large cookie sheet with foil so it catches any spills. Bake at fairly low heat (300-325) for 45 min to one hour. This helps the crust not to brown too quickly. Quiche is done when toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. (cake test).

This makes a meal in itself if served with a salad for lunch or dinner. Refrigerate unused pie and microwave slices for about 30-40 seconds, no more. I make 2 pies at once so you can double the liquid part, but I mix them in separate batches for consistency. Yum.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''ve heard of these deep fried candy bars, but i''ve never known of someone actually eating one. what''s it like? seems like certain death!
37.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/14/2005 1:14:37 AM
Author: BLINGQUEEN
emembarrassed.gif
Wonder how many people I've offended
23.gif
?
No worries BQ, just thought you'd like to know.
emthup.gif
Mrsfrk had a good suggestion. Sometimes when I'm lazy I don't type caps. But mostly I do out of habit. It's the secretary in me.
20.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
no caps could be thought of as the opposite of yelling
2.gif
i''m more the quiet type...don''t make me put a CAP on you!
6.gif

BLINGQUEEN

Shiny_Rock
thanks for understanding my goof up
face13.gif
. I would love some reecipes for indian food.
18.gif

Camellia

Shiny_Rock
Here''s an easy one - I''m vegetarian so I love Indian and Asian foods.

Cauliflower curry
ingredients
1 tablespoon almonds, soaked in water for 2 hrs
2 medium tomatoes
3 tablespoons cooking oil or ghee (clarified butter)
1 whole cauliflower cut into tiny florets
2 large potatoes, finely diced
1½ teaspoon red chilli powder
½ teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons Dhania (ground coriander)
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon Saunf (fennel seeds), roasted and powdered
1 teaspoon garam masala
¼ cup very finely chopped coriander leaves
salt
method
Blend the tomatoes and almonds to get a smooth paste. Heat the oil in a large fry pan and fry the cauliflower and potatoes until well browned.

Add all the spices and continue to fry. Add the chopped coriander, salt and the tomato paste. Adjust water till you get the proper gravy consistency you need.

Cook covered for about 10 minutes. When it comes to a boil, take it off the stove. Serve hot.
Serve hot with chapatis or plain rice, and pappadums

When I find a combination of spices or sauces that I like, I use any vegetables that I have rather than following the recipe.

Camellia

Shiny_Rock
BTW - they''re metric measurements

Camellia

Shiny_Rock
And another one - I never use ghee, just vegetable oil.

Spinach and pumpkin curry

Per serve 7.4g fat; 5.3g fibre; 686kJ (excluding rice).

ingredients
1kg pumpkin, peeled
1 tablespoon ghee
2 medium (300g) brown onions, sliced thinly
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
2 green birds eye chillies, seeded, sliced
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
375ml (1½ cups) chicken stock I substitute vegetable stock whenever a recipe uses chicken stock
150g spinach, chopped coarsely
1/3 cup loosely packed fresh coriander leaves
1 tablespoon flaked almonds, toasted
method
Cut pumpkin into 3cm pieces. Heat ghee in large pan; cook onion, stirring, until browned. Add garlic, ginger, chilli and spices; stir over heat until fragrant. Add pumpkin and stock; simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until pumpkin is tender. Add spinach and coriander; stir, tossing, until spinach has just wilted.
Just before serving, sprinkle nuts over curry. Serve with steamed rice, if desired.
Serves 4.

Camellia

Shiny_Rock
I love this one - Middle Eastern flavours

Orange and Chickpea Couscous

This fruity salad served chilled makes a tasty accompaniment at BBQ’s.

Ingredients
1 ½ CUPS VEGETABLE STOCK
1 ½ CUPS INSTANT COUSCOUS
1 CUP COOKED CHICKPEAS
¼ CUP CURRANTS
2 MEDIUM ORANGES, PEELED, SEGMENTED
½ CUP CHOPPED SPRING ONIONS

Dressing
½ CUP LOW-FAT PLAIN YOGHURT
1/3 CUP LEMON JUICE
2 CLOVES GARLIC, CRUSHED
1 TEASPOON GROUND CUMIN

per serve
Kilojoules 980kj
Calories 230cal
Protein 9g
Fat 1g
Carbohydrate 46g
Sodium 410mg
Potassium 311mg
Calcium 90mg
Iron 1.4mg
Fibre 5g

High in fibre Low in fat

Bring the stock to the boil in a saucepan. Stir in the couscous, then remove from the heat, cover and leave for 10 minutes. Fluff up with a fork.

Gently stir the remaining ingredients into the couscous.

Whisk together the dressing ingredients and stir through the couscous. Serve chilled as an accompaniment.

BLINGQUEEN

Shiny_Rock
18.gif
thanks camellia!!!!Can't wait to try them!

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/13/2005 11:21:45 PM
Author: AGBF
Libster,

I keep looking at your pineapple recipe and I think I have to try it. Since it is similar to my Easy Cherry Cobbler recipe I think I would serve it as a pineapple cake. When it is baked does it look as if it could be a pineapple cake? (I invert my cherry cobbler, which puts the colorful red side up, then serve it with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.)

Deborah
Deb,
I''ve only made it in a 9x13 and have never cut it into squares, just used a spoon for serving. I''m thinking that it''s not "solid" enough to cut into squares. It really is one of the yummiest dishes I''ve ever had and sooooooo easy! Give it a go and let me know what you think
35.gif
Thanks for the cherry recipe, can''t wait to try it.

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
Chicken & Shrimp Fajitas ala Fuffi

2 large chicken breasts
10 jumbo shrimp
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons lime juice (about 2 limes)
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup packed cilantro leaves
1/2 jalapeno, seeded
1/2 tsp cumin
Salt and pepper
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
1/2 large onion, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced lengthwise
1 yellow pepper, seeded and sliced lengthwise
1 tomatoes cut in wedges
2 tablespoons olive oil
10 flour tortillas

Flatten chicken breasts to 1/2 inch thickness between two sheets of plastic wrap with a mallet or rolling pin. Place chicken breasts & shrimp in glass baking dish. In a blender combine oil, lime juice, garlic, cilantro, jalapeno, cumin and salt and pepper. Blend until smooth and pour over meat. Cover with plastic wrap and let marinate for 1 hour.

Warm tortillas in 350 degree oven. In a large cast iron skillet over medium/high flame, heat oil. Sear chicken on both sides and remove. Add onions and peppers and cook until they are somewhat tender. Add shrimp and tomatoes. Slice chicken crosswise (without separating) and return to skillet. Serve in skillet or on warm platter.

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
This is my summer staple:

Georgia Potato Salad

6 white or Yukon gold potatoes (3 pounds)
3 large eggs
1/2 Vidalia onion, peeled and finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped pimento
3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
1/2 cup spicy brown mustard
1/2 cup mayonnaise
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon paprika

Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1-1/2 inch chunks. Put the potatoes in a pot and add water to cover them by about 2 inches. Salt the water generously. Cover the pot and set it over high heat. Bring the water to a boil, then add the eggs. Reduce the heat to a brisk simmer and cook, covered, until the potatoes can just be pierced by a fork, about 15 minutes.

With a slotted spoon, remove the eggs from the pot and set them aside. Drain the potatoes and place them in a large bowl. Rinse the eggs under cold running water until cool enough to handle. Peel and chop 2 of the eggs and add them to the potatoes. Add the onion, pimento, and relish to the potatoes.

In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise and mustard. Spoon over the potato salad, season with salt and pepper, and mix gently.

Peel the remaining egg and slice it, placing the slices on top of the potato salad. Sprinkle with the paprika.

Serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 4 hours. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/14/2005 4:54:40 AM
Author: Camellia

And another one - I never use ghee, just vegetable oil.

Camellia, I cannot wait to try your recipes! Please tell me, what is ghee? Is that some sort of fat or lard? I've never heard of that.
33.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Kmom, I think it's clarified butter, and it's very typical in Indian cuisine.
1.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/14/2005 10:28:37 PM
Author: Jennifer5973
Kmom, I think it''s clarified butter, and it''s very typical in Indian cuisine.
1.gif
Oh, I see.
25.gif
That is the richest part of the butter, no? Taking out the liquid and leaving just the fat behind? YUUUUUUMMMMMM!!
9.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i would love to see a good crock-pot recipe. i can do a mean pot roast and brisket, but would like to add some more..........any ideas?

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Belle, I just made a CP roast on Saturday.
18.gif
What kind of main ingredient are you looking for? I''ll search through my cp books and post one later. Right now I''m off to hilo, got a 60 mi drive ahead then baseball practice, but.........

I''ll......

be.......

back!
2.gif

~kmom
35.gif

P.S. Are you a vendor?
2.gif
J/K.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results