shape
carat
color
clarity

Anxious to get the engagement ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
Lauren-

Jumping the gun is what we do here
4.gif
Good luck with your asscher triplets, sounds lovely
1.gif

yanekie25

Shiny_Rock
I have to agree with sciencegeek, it''s what we do. Does sound promising. Vegas on NYE must be awesome. I will be looking for good news from you in 2005. Wow, this year flew by.

katbadness

Shiny_Rock
I haven't posted in this thread at all (though I've been following it).. and I feel for you guys..

Thought I'd chime in to say that I think msbennie have their rings already.

palmbaybabe

Shiny_Rock
ChooChoo where did you go???? i''m dying for more pics and details!!!!!!!!!!

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, katbadness!

New list with that info:

Jean
lsmathis1
Mari
mostlywatching
Audrey Hepburn
ChooChoo
MelissaSue
msbennie
Bethanying
JennaJ
sparkler29
gingerBcookie
goldengirl /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/31.gif[/img]
chialea
cute330xigrl (has disappeared?)
reena
stellamarina
1215n
JCJD
JKohio
tlmd
kaya
njc
ivanadiamond
rfath
Tybee
LaurenThePartier
firerock
tulipcloud
jenwill
palmbaybabe
denverkat
yanekie25
sciencegeek
psuheather
twinkletoes

psuheather

Shiny_Rock

Ok...I have to jump in here. I am in the same boat!!!!! I have been with my boyfriend for ten years....count ''em--TEN!!! Actually, I guess it''s really closer to nine, but whatever. We started dating in high school and had some down time in college, but overall, it''s been over nine years. Of course, EVERYONE always told us that we would be the first to get married for sure. Believe it or not, back then, that kind of scared me. I was never the girl that dreamed about her wedding day and I wanted to be damn sure and ready by the time I got married. My boyfriend was actually the one that always hinted at getting married early and I would kind of change the subject.........

Fast forward a few years. A couple of my friends get engaged. At this point I start to feel the pang of possibly getting to the point of being ready. Over time, I am feeling it more and more. Next thing I know, all of my friends are dropping like flies!!! Every time I turn around, another one is engaged!!! To people that I feel like they just met! Eventually, my boyfriend and I started SERIOUSLY talking about marriage (we always knew we would get married eventually) and when would be a good and practical time to do it. I thought that we kind of decided on a good time and we went and looked at rings and everything so I kind of dropped it. I''ve been keeping myself busy with ring decisions, so I haven''t thought about it too much. But I finally decided to go with the Ritani, and I told my boyfriend, and now he keeps telling me how we have PLENTY of time to make ring decisions and figure things out, etc. WHAT?! What do you mean plenty of time? By my calculations, it should be anywhere between tomorrow and four months (that''s stretching it). Is he just trying to throw me off? Has he decided to keep me in suspense? I never thought that I would be the type of person that would be so anxiously awaiting this question! It''s torture!

And the worst part is....every weekend, we''re at another friend''s wedding where everyone sitting around me has blinding e-rings and my finger is so painfully bare....

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to the club, psuheather! I''ve edited my post above to include you as the newest member. Hopefully your stay will be shorter than mine!
1.gif

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock

Ladies,

Thank you all for your kind comments! I''m too tired to write down the story tonight (I promise, tomorrow!) but I did post pictures in Show Me The Ring!

twinkletoes

Shiny_Rock
tomorrow is my birthday and up until a few days ago i thought maybe he''d propose...but then he asked me if there''s a purse i want. my response was, "isn''t there always?" LOL hey, i love purses but darnit, a nice rock would be even better.

ah well, i can play this waiting game.

in the mean time i''m browsing gucci, eluxury, etc for my birthday present!

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome, twinkletoes! I''ve added you to the list above, too!
1.gif

Why don''t you and psuheather tell us a little about yourselves? What''s the "story"?

palmbaybabe

Shiny_Rock
aarrgghh!!!! I''m getting really anxious now, my bf gave the jeweler the go ahead last night! I know nothing about the ring, which is the way that I wanted it, but since he is in Fl and purchasing it from my jeweler in Wi he didn''t get to see it either, so my sister went to look at it last night and said that it looked good to her. so now I''m here trying to wait patiently till December. I do know that i will get it in Dec. sometime between the 27 and the end of the year, I''m going nuts here! I am so glad for this thread to share with everybody and to know that I am not alone

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock

palmbaybabe--Wow, at least you've got a short window for waiting! I mean, between the 27th and the 31st of December, that's only 5 days he can torture you!

31.gif

In the meantime, consider that your ring is being carefully and lovingly handcrafted to perfection in anticipation of that day!! I think if you pretend it'll take that whole time to make (instead of, say, 3 weeks to make and then he'll just sit on it to make you sweat!) it might make the time pass a little easier.

1.gif

Every time I talk to fi2b I get a different vibe on how far out mine is.

33.gif
He'll say something to make me think it'll be a while, and then something to make me think he's just throwing me a line. For example, last night, we were talking about erings... he's been bugging me for my preferred size stone--a question I didn't really want to answer, because it's so expensive and I didn't want him to feel inadequate if he wasn't able to provide it!--so I finally said I'd prefer less than a carat, fifty to eighty points would be just perfect, and that of course the sim option is still available if he's concerned about money; also that I could put together a nice ering with any amount he'd like to budget, from about $200 up.

And he says he doesn't want me to pick my ering, he wants it to be a surprise, when he decides he's ready. I acknowledge, of course, when he's ready.

And then he snickered.

What's all that about, huh?? HUH?? He's killing me, here!!!

33.gif
33.gif
33.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome psuheather and twinkletoes!! I hope you gals enjoy your time here with us! Never fear, we may be neurotic, but we''re nice.
12.gif

goldengirl - think about it this way, he''s asking questions and being open now, which is great! And even if it takes a while for him to finally get your ering, now you know that he''s serious about marrying you! And isn''t that just the best feeling in the world?
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Hang in there!

palmbaygirl - congrats!! I agree, at least you only have 5 days to really be antsy! In comparison, if my bf really does make it happen by Thanksgiving, I''ve got up to 14 more days to be going insane! And then if he doesn''t, I probably won''t be engaged until after January 1. You''ve got it easy, girl!
2.gif

I took goldengirl''s and ginger''s advice and went to some jewelry stores last night to play. I also got my finger sized, and it turns out I''m more of a size 4 than a 5 like I thought. It''s winter though, so I''m probably more like a 4.5. I tried on some wedding sets, with a huge center stone, lots of side stones, and a matching wedding band, and they were all HUGE on my poor hand! I also got to try on a 2ct rb, which was incredible! Practically speaking, however, I still like the 3/8 ct...
18.gif
The saleslady agreed - .5 is about my hand''s max at this point. Of course, I''ll take anything right now... too late for a Halloween plastic spider ring, but they''ve got those *great* Christmas bell and ribbon rings at Claire''s now! LOL!!
2.gif

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock

Heh, I went ring shopping too...went to Jared''s

6.gif
because I expected them to have the best selection of actual-rings-I-could-see-on-my-finger. Was surprised, they weren''t that overpriced. Looked at a 70-point G VS2 AGS triple ideal for $3700. Not too shabby. Oh, and it was purdy, too!!
30.gif

Course, I wear a size 6, so a 3/4 ct looks ab-fab on my hand. I didn''t like the 1.07ct I tried on. I might have just been the setting it was in (very thin and delicate) but it looked oddly out of proportion to my hand. I liked the .70 much better. I like that the diameter of a 3/4ct is almost exactly 1/3 the width of my finger. It makes for a pleasing aesthetic, I think.

1.gif

I think either you or sciencegeek will be the next to fall!

5.gif

Oh, and I was telling fi2b that I''d taken it upon myself to make the list in order....and he asked if that made me the president of the ladies-in-waiting club, because I''d told him weeks ago that the president is usually a short-lived position (except for MS

7.gif
) and that whoever stepped up into the position usually graduated the club pretty quickly, if they weren''t the next to go. And he said if I was the president, he''d have to step up to bat and keep the tradition alive, or something of that nature.
9.gif

The other day we were shopping for christmas ornaments and he pointed out one of them, saying he liked its brilliance and fire. I just laughed.

2.gif

njc

Brilliant_Rock

Welcome to all the new ladies! I hope your waits arent too long. You must share with us details... what shape stones, any setting that youve picked out/would like. We are just suckers for pictures and stories!!!

Twinkle - I would have said yes, i want the kind of purse that fits around my left ring finger and is clear on top!

Seems like there are an awful lot of us preparing to be taken off the list in the next couple weeks! Im still just worried that the b/f is going to hold onto the ring waiting for the whole surprise thing because i figured out that he is supposed to get it next week! I think its funny he thinks im just going to forget about it... how can you forget about something youve been obsessing over for a year?!?! I think this is going to be the death of me....

39.gif
9.gif

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock

Oh my friends! Christmas is just around the corner...I have a good feeling there is going to me a "massacre" of names off that old list prettty durn soon.

31.gif
17.gif

I still can''t post pictures! (not that I have anything to post...but what if, huh?) I always get an error message. I''d ask the BF, but then I''d have to tell him what I''m doing and suffer enternal embarrassement! I keep plugging away at it...

rfath

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/10/2004 2:24:37 PM
Author: goldengirl
Course, I wear a size 6, so a 3/4 ct looks ab-fab on my hand. I didn''t like the 1.07ct I tried on. I might have just been the setting it was in (very thin and delicate) but it looked oddly out of proportion to my hand. I liked the .70 much better. I like that the diameter of a 3/4ct is almost exactly 1/3 the width of my finger. It makes for a pleasing aesthetic, I think.
1.gif

Hey, I wear a 6.5-7 and, as much as I thought it''d be otherwise, I LIKE the look of the .82 on my hand much more than the larger stones. The salespeople thought I was nuts (well.. they''re right, but not for that reason
2.gif
).

Now to hunt for wedding bands... *sigh*

psuheather

Shiny_Rock

It sounds like, although the torture is all too real, a lot of girls only have a few weeks to go! Looking at it logically, I guess that''s not bad, but I completely sympathize that every day feels like a week. I have a feeling that my wait is going to be much longer than a few weeks. My instinct is now telling me that it''s not going to happen till at least February

emsad.gif
Maybe I''m just being a pessimist (although I hate to admit it, I tend to view the glass a half empty)

Our quick story is that I am in grad school and my boyfriend just got a new job about 2 months ago. Since my boyfriend and I have been together for so long, we are really sick of living apart and being single, so we decided that we wanted to go ahead and get married while I was still in school ( my program is 3 years). We figured that we could live on one salary for a year. Well, like I said earlier, my boyfriend''s job is pretty new, so, although it is a great opportunity and going really well, I have a feeling that he wants to take a little more time to make sure that this job is rock solid and will be able to provide for us before he takes the big plunge. Again, this is just the feeling that I have...and I completely understand it! BUT, (warning: here comes the big whine) I want to get engaged!!!!!!!!! At this point, I don''t even care about the ring (OH MY GOD, I can''t believe I just said that!)

Anyway, I have decided on the ritani, 4 prong endless love (micropave band) setting with an RB 1.5ct stone (thread: Should I go with the Ritani?) I can''t wait till the day that it finds a new home on my very willing finger...

Good luck to everyone--hopefully I can live through your engagement experiences over the next couple of weeks!

palmbaybabe

Shiny_Rock

welcome to the new ladies in waiting, i hope your wait isnt'' too long.

goldengirl & jcjd - thanks for the support, and when you put it as only 5 days that makes me feel much better, at least i know it''s coming and what week. i don''t know you guys do it with the little hints your bf''s give you. the hardest for me is just the not knowing, like not knowing what my ring looks like, or what color it is or what shape the stone or stones are, i want to know all the details, and then my bf did tell me that the proposal will be in Dec. and i arrive in Fl on the 27. and he was asking me how i would feel about a public display or romantic and private and he keeps leading me along in different directions - he drives me nuts! I sure hope you both get yours yet this year.

goldengirl - maybe its not as far off as you think after that ''president'' comment

jcjd - i will keep my fingers crossed that you will have something sparklie to be extra thankful for this thanksgiving

Poker face

Rough_Rock

I can really relate to some of these stories. As you can see I''ve just gotten up the nerve to start posting here, but I''ve been reading this site and doing e-ring research for almost a year! My BF asked for information about my preferences and then I think I overloaded him with a packet of information gathered here on Pricescope and with many pictures of rings I liked, then... nothing. For all this time... nothing.

Things are really great with us and I know he''ll do it when he''s ready, but I''ve been ready for a while now! So, don''t add me to your official list, because I could be here for years

23.gif
. I''m addicted to this site anyway, LOL.

yanekie25

Shiny_Rock

Okay, I think I need to try on rings. I am 5.5, and thought that anything under 1.5 was too small for my fingers. I guess my perference is for the the ring to be substantial. The posts here are making me think, my size requirement may be borderline gaudy, which I don''t want at all. Maybe what I tried on was small for the carat weight.

33.gif
I am now more confused than ever.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
yanekie - It all depends on your personal preference, the amount of wear and tear on your ring that is likely, and the setting style. If I were getting a cushion cut or a Jubilee, I'd definitely want it in a larger ct weight than I want an RB, cause I want to show off the stone's shape. I want something .5 and smaller because I want a plain RB solitaire, I'll be wearing the ering at the lab while I'm using power tools to fix my experimental equipment and handling, cleaning up after, and feeding birds, so I need something small.

JCJD :)

EDIT: Check out my "Size 5-or-so ring..." thread in the Show Me the Ring folder for some ideas of what diff size stones look like on our size hands. And YES!! try on some rings!!! It's fun, and gives you a good idea of what you REALLY want on your hand. You've probably got a lot more selection in-store in NY than I do in po-dunk NE, so you might even be able to try on a set cushion! The setting you pick might play a role in how large of a stone you *need* too. If I were to get an intricate Tacori-like setting, or something like Reena's ering, I'd personally prefer a much smaller center stone so I don't overwhelm my hand or my labmates! On the other hand, a girl in my department has what looks like a 1ct RB in an intricate platinum setting that doesn't overwhelm. It depends on what you like and what you can pull off. I don't think I can pull off a 1.5 ct stone, but maybe you can, and that's fine! Hope that helps!!
1.gif

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/10/2004 2:24:37 PM
Author: goldengirl

I think either you or sciencegeek will be the next to fall!

5.gif

Fallen
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

The ring''s still on it''s way, but he proposed last night on our anniversary. And just when I think he can''t surprise me...
13.gif
13.gif

I thought we were going to have dinner at the restaurant where we had our first date (coincidentally around the corner from the apartment we now share). First surprise: he had stayed home from work and done our 3 weeks worth of laundry at the laundromat, which may sound like not much, but our laundromat is 2 blocks away uphill
23.gif
And 2 people in 3 weeks make a lot of dirty clothes!

But when I got home last night he instructed me to dress for dinner and pack an overnight bag (second surprise!!). After I dressed, he asked if I was ready so he could "call the car." WTF?? We live in a popular neighborhood full of restaurants and bars and plentiful cabs that we always catch without a problem. We also have 2 cars of our own.

So we get in the hired car and he blindfolds me! Walking blindfolded in high heels is quite a feat I tell you. He doesn''t let me take off the blindfold once we''re inside, but finally he takes it off and we''re on the 41st floor of one of the nicest hotels in the city, with a full panoramic view of city lights and the Transamerica Pyramid. During his day off, he had come to the hotel and set it up with lots of candles and champagne and truffles.

We sat on the couch and talked for awhile, and he told me that asking me out was the bravest thing he had done and asked me to marry him
9.gif
9.gif

Ring pics this weekend, I promise
1.gif

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
Congrats Sciencegeek! Sounds like a wonderful proposal! Can''t wait to see your ring (I bet you can''t either!!!)

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock

YEAH!!!!!

36.gif

I saw your name as the newest post and my heart just caught in my throat....I KNEW it had to be good news!!!

Hooray, sciencegeek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Am waiting breathlessly for the promised thread!

Pokerface, you sure you don't wait to join the thread?? I'm betting, too, that there'll be a list massacre over the next two months!

31.gif
And it'll be oh, so thrilling to cross your name off.....

Jean
lsmathis1
Mari
mostlywatching
Audrey Hepburn
ChooChoo
MelissaSue
msbennie
Bethanying
JennaJ
sparkler29
gingerBcookie
goldengirl
chialea
cute330xigrl (has disappeared?)
reena
stellamarina
1215n
JCJD
JKohio
tlmd
kaya
njc
ivanadiamond
rfath
Tybee
LaurenThePartier
firerock
tulipcloud
jenwill
palmbaybabe
denverkat
yanekie25
sciencegeek
psuheather
twinkletoes
ootthibo

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/10/2004 6:12:10 PM
Author: JCJD
And YES!! try on some rings!!! It''s fun, and gives you a good idea of what you REALLY want on your hand.

This from the girl we practically had to drag kicking and screaming to the jewelry store!!
31.gif
2.gif

psuheather

Shiny_Rock

Congratulations sciencegeek! What a cute proposal story!

Yankie--don''t worry....it is definitely all about preference. I have a size 5 finger and I would wear a 3 carat in a dream world...I guess I just like ''em big!

ootthibo

Rough_Rock

Hello ladies. I have read many of your stories and would like to join the "in waiting club".

Heres my story:

Chris, my boyfriend, and I met on our first day of work about 5 years ago (we worked at Saturn...the car dealership). Anyway, at the time I was dating my high school sweetheart (his name was Matt) and we were pretty serious at the time. Oh, by the way he worked at Saturn too (hes car mechanic.

Anyway, I always had a thing for Chris (even though I was dating Matt) but thought he was the kind of guy us girls would call a "player". To make a long story short, I ended up getting engaged to Matt the summer before my junior year of college. He was a great guy, and he bought me a wondeful engagement ring (it was like a 1.2 or 1.3 carat pear shaped diamond). But, he did some things that I wasn''t happy about and I broke off the engagment but continued to date him. During my senior year of college, Chris and I saw each other one night in a bar (totally randomly because he hung out with a totally different crowd then I) and we started talking and surprisingly we both admitted to each other that we had feelings for each other. Honestly, it was one of the best nights of my life. I can remember every detail and I hope that I never forget it. Anyway, I broke up with Matt and secretly started dating Chris (since we all worked together). That summer I left Saturn because I was starting medical school. During my first year, Chris pretty much moved in with me and then at the end of my first year we moved into a new apartment together. Well, now I''m in my second year and we have been talking about marriage and kids and everything that comes with it pretty much since we have been together. We knew each other so long before we got together, that we were comfortable talking about these things early and not to mention we were totally in love with each other.

Well...we bought a ring in the middle of October. I''ve seen it, and tried it on, and all the goodness but he hid it from me because I knew it would drive me nuts having to look at it everyday. The fact that it''s "hidden" doesn''t help any and I''m dying for him to pop the question. He tells me he is ready and that he wants to marry me but, for some reason he just has not asked. I honestly thought he was going to pop the question on our one year anniversary....but now its been almost a year and half and still no propsal.....I can''t stand it much longer.

I am so glad that I stumbled upon this forum...to have a bunch of girls that know what it feels like to go through an agonizing wait is absolutely wondeful and hopefully soon we will all get what we want

30.gif

psuheather

Shiny_Rock

OOtthibo--welcome! (I''m new too) You bought a ring this October or last? If it was just this past October, then I''d say you must be pretty close...although that must be agonizing knowing that your ring is just waiting for you and you can''t have it!

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
ootthibo--Welcome! I''ve added you to the list, and hopefully I''ll cross you off soon!!
31.gif

I think you''ll enjoy the camaderie here...I know it''s a sanity-saver for me!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results