shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Antique Oval in an Art Deco Duplication from Sako

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
It always amazes me when someone can take something that already looks amazing and see the little things that can be done to make it even better. Both rings are beautiful - what a great idea to have the oval set in a reproduction of your original antique.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of the rare examples where a wonderful antique design was actually improved! Congratulations on owning two stunning rings!!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
He did a great job! The antique oval looks right at home in the new setting!

Thank you! I like your setting choices with antique stones, so I appreciate your nice words! I was worried about the east-west variation, but I'm pleased with it!

Stunning ring. Beautiful reproduction. I love the detail in both rings!!!

Thank you! The details make it. The original ring is low on carat weight, but has a nice presence due to the details and design!
Absolutely gorgeous

Thank you very much!

Absolutely gorgeous ring!

Thanks- I'm glad you like it! You are like me in that I prefer an original, but I think the new setting with the old stone works!
I do, I love it. The refining of elements really is top notch.
Thank you very much. Those details make it. The guy has skills!

Your idea to riff off of your original ring for the oval diamond was incredibly smart and a fantastic choice.
Sako’s interpretation and implementation of that idea is incredibly wonderfully done.

enjoy this beauty :love:

Thank you, R! I'm glad you like the finished product. I value your input a lot and you have an excellent eye for design and details!

So beautiful! I love his work and this is just divine. Enjoy!!

Thank you- and you are right- he is talented! He and his dad do such good work. It's not inexpensive, but it's built to last and what they make looks true to period too!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elizat I think your collection might be my absolute favourite on PS. This is an amazing ring! Could/have you posted a family group picture?

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Nice ... the E-W setting catches the eye and the antique oval is understated. Nice to have a ring that gets prettier the more you look at it.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
It's like when you're vacationing in a quaint little town, and you stumble upon the most charming little antique shop, and everything they have is amazing, and THAT'S the ring you expect to see in their showcase. Just full of delicate, beautiful detail, and everything exactly as it should be.
Ah, you are so sweet! Love this description. There is actually a shop like that in Alexandria in Old Town. Everything was just charming. The whole place. Jewelry, the dishes, all of it. Seriously, when I go visit my brother in NYC hopefully in the fall, happy to meet up!

Every collaboration you’ve had with Sako, thus far, has yielded heirloom quality pieces, @elizat . He’s got your aesthetic down to
a T. Stunning as always❤️!

Thank you so much! You and Lala are too nice! It is good and bad I found him. Now, I find I'm pickier about workmanship.
I love everything about this! And I don’t think I’ve even seen an antique oval before. Beautiful!
Thank you! They are rare. You find them occasionally and over a carat is hard to find. The greedy part of me wishes it was at least 2!

This is gorgeous and a really beautiful ring on you!
Thank you very much!

What a stunning ring! The details are beautiful!
Thank you- details make it, I think!

Gorgeous. :love:
Old world charm to the max. LOVE.
Thanks, Missy! Glad you like it!

He did an amazing job. It looks fantastic on you!

❤️ Just wish I had your finger size.
Wow, he did an amazing job! It's gorgeous as is your other ring.

Thank you very much! His workmanship is always top notch!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Will respond to the rest in a bit!

I also need to take some photographs outside with nice lighting.

I took a couple in my office this morning and it looks nice even in office lighting. Yes, I took photos on a cat face coaster.

The center has a pinwheel pattern that you can see too. The darkness is reflection off of my camera phone and the atmosphere. The pinwheels go on and off without going dark as the stone moves.

1623343753353.jpg
1623343721006.jpg

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
So beautiful! I love all the pastel flashes - and love the execution from the inspiration ring. Congratulations!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
So beautiful! I love all the pastel flashes - and love the execution from the inspiration ring. Congratulations!

Thanks! The pastels are outstanding on this stone. I really wonder what an ASET would look like!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s the perfect repro - it’s better than the original!! The precision with which all those books and crannies are executed is marvellous ❤️ and that stone is glorious... :cool2:o_O:kiss2:

I feel like your working relationship with Sako is what we all aspire to have. Someone who knows your tastes so well that every piece is a win. And I wonder just how many PSers have taken projects to him thanks directly to your threads - I know I have, must be dozens of us!!

And your photos are knockouts!!! :love:

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
Looks absolutely gorgeous! Wear it in good health…everywhere!

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
OMG outstanding! It is stunning and so true to the antique!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all.

This begins with a late art deco ring I have had for years, that was one I always really loved. Easy to wear, pretty geometric details, and comfortable.

I picked it up years ago on Ruby Lane for a very good price and it was my usual go to travel ring as well! This is the ring.

PXL_20210608_210345156.jpg

PXL_20210608_210353699.jpg

I purchased an antique oval from Sako over a year ago. The oval is 1.37 ct and if you know anything about antique stones, you know old cut ovals are so hard to find.

This is my stone unset.

1623187446095.jpg

I asked him to take my old ring and recreate it. To make it better, more refined and just rescale as needed.

Here are Sako's photos of the finished ring.

1623186396239.jpg

1623186416530.jpg 1623186437265.jpg

1623186457562.jpg

1623186510459.jpg

I think he nailed the finishing and the reproduction! So, it is a duplicate of what I already had, with a larger stone and footprint.

Ring is two tone, 18kt white and yellow gold. There are .47 cts of old cuts in the frame.

More pictures to come.

Beautiful transformation!!!!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow! That's really beautiful! I love both the diamond and the setting you designed for it. What a great idea to take the basics of the ring you already like and tweak it to suit your new gorgeous oval.

Congrats on JOTW!

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
Oh. My. Gosh!!!!! I LOVE THIS SO MUCH!!! :love: I saw this on insta the other day and practically fell off my chair. It's everything I love in a ring and just looks sooo comfortable ( comfort is everything to me). It's gorgeous and I bet you're absolutely loving it! Congrats on jotw, well deserved!

weemie

Shiny_Rock

This is Ah-mazing!!! I love the shape, it looks so elegant and wearable. I definitely would have thought this was a true Art Deco piece, which I adore!!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring! So lovely :)
Thank you! Your CvB opal is really a lovely ring!

It’s a perfect version of your ring for your oval! Sako did a fantastic job, scaled it perfectly and finished it beautifully.

Thank you, L. ❤️
Wow, it is very beautiful and the oval diamond so colourful.

Thanks so much! The oval is a wonderful stone. It's incredibly lively.
Your new ring is awesome!!

Sako really did a fantastic job with recreating and scale for the bigger diamonds. I am so glad you post everything you have him do. You inspired me to reach out to him! And your collection is simply amazing!

Thank you! So glad it helps others, because he and his dad do great work. They have a level of workmanship that's pretty rare. I love your new sapphire ring! Thanks for the nice comment on my collection too! It's been slimmed down over the years and I have built it back up a bit, but the goal is for everything to be permanent. I have one ring that doesn't fit this in particular and I guess it's always a little work in progress!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
It always amazes me when someone can take something that already looks amazing and see the little things that can be done to make it even better. Both rings are beautiful - what a great idea to have the oval set in a reproduction of your original antique.
Thanks for stopping by! He did actually improve on it! The geometric stations in particular, I think they look nicer and fuller, and I also really like the slightly domed shape he did. It feels floral, a bit!

One of the rare examples where a wonderful antique design was actually improved! Congratulations on owning two stunning rings!!
Thanks so much! Agree- sometimes a repro is just not very good, but he nailed this!

Congratulations, @elizat - this looks amazing!

Thanks so much! You have an excellent eye and I appreciate you popping by to check it out! Glad you like it.
Oh. My. Gosh!!!!! I LOVE THIS SO MUCH!!! :love: I saw this on insta the other day and practically fell off my chair. It's everything I love in a ring and just looks sooo comfortable ( comfort is everything to me). It's gorgeous and I bet you're absolutely loving it! Congrats on jotw, well deserved!
Thanks! It is comfortable! Nothing worse than uncomfortable jewels! Thanks for your sweet comments- I think this one turned out great!

This is Ah-mazing!!! I love the shape, it looks so elegant and wearable. I definitely would have thought this was a true Art Deco piece, which I adore!!

It's so comfy. I really like the east west too. I had a marquise cut east west in a bezel I had made and returned before. This works though! I have a finger that is not long and skinny and the proportion is better. None of me is long and skinny!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@elizat I think your collection might be my absolute favourite on PS. This is an amazing ring! Could/have you posted a family group picture?
You are so nice! Thanks for the comment on this ring and my collection. I had started a thread and lost track of doing it. I'll dig it out and tag you! I always feel like my stuff is very taste specific, so it's so nice when others like it as well. This particular project was also a long one. It's kind of nice in a way, because when things are done it's a bit of a little surprise! We started this one last spring.

Nice ... the E-W setting catches the eye and the antique oval is understated. Nice to have a ring that gets prettier the more you look at it.

Thank you! The east west does work and it's my only one like this. I'm really pleased with it!
Please join me in congratulating @elizat , this is the Jewel of the Week! :kiss2:
Thank you! I didn't expect this at all! Glad that folks like the ring and the work Sako did!

It’s the perfect repro - it’s better than the original!! The precision with which all those books and crannies are executed is marvellous ❤️ and that stone is glorious... :cool2:o_O:kiss2:

I feel like your working relationship with Sako is what we all aspire to have. Someone who knows your tastes so well that every piece is a win. And I wonder just how many PSers have taken projects to him thanks directly to your threads - I know I have, must be dozens of us!!

And your photos are knockouts!!! :love:

Thank you. ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Looks absolutely gorgeous! Wear it in good health…everywhere!
Thank you very much! I have worn it since it arrived. Comfortable and pretty!

Congrats @elizat
:) JOTW woo hoo!

Thanks, R❤️
OMG outstanding! It is stunning and so true to the antique!

Thanks for popping in to see it! Happy you like it! ❤️
Beautiful transformation!!!!
Thank you!

Oh wow! That's really beautiful! I love both the diamond and the setting you designed for it. What a great idea to take the basics of the ring you already like and tweak it to suit your new gorgeous oval.

Congrats on JOTW!

Thanks so much! I am glad I did it as well. I thought it would work even though it was a different shape and scale, but Sako was the one that made it work so nicely! I didn't have an antique oval either, so I was glad to add one to the mix. I actually never saw it before the stone was set either, so the final product was seeing the stone and the ring at once! I thought the videos looked good though and honestly, I'm terrible with loose stones. Once I have them, I tend to forget that I have them and never get around to setting them. It was much better to just purchase this and then figure out the setting later!

Tayberry

Shiny_Rock
Huge thank you @elizat for such a helpful and informativ thread. I am starting a reproduction project and your JOTW shows what is possible with the right vendor.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I keep coming back to this thread to admire the detailed work and stunning result!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results