shape
carat
color
clarity

Antique emerald cut CVB June Cluster possibly in works

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you Karl! Do you think there’s anything that can reduce the yellow I’m seeing, like rhodium plating the inside or anything like that? Thank you

Why?
Whats the stones color grade?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It’s an E and the gold reflections are making it look warm to me

but the gold reflections are kewl and adds to its charm.
Its unique and has its quirks that is what makes it so kicken

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I see a very colorless antique diamond set in YG. I think it's fabulous and unique. Karl says "kicken" and you don't hear that every day. Can you give it a little time?
It's lovely!

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you Karl! I appreciate your insights and kind words!

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
I see a very colorless antique diamond set in YG. I think it's fabulous and unique. Karl says "kicken" and you don't hear that every day. Can you give it a little time?
It's lovely!

Thank you! Haha that’s true!

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
6FA439FE-95FA-46C0-AABD-3C140932AC5B.jpeg

What about emerald side stones? I think part of it is the brightness competition with the little round bright white diamonds.

Attachments

• C6E3DBC2-6567-46E4-A529-BBFE549953FD.jpeg
    C6E3DBC2-6567-46E4-A529-BBFE549953FD.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 9A0CA789-A163-4AAB-97A7-11B4959FB8E6.jpeg
    9A0CA789-A163-4AAB-97A7-11B4959FB8E6.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 7D372E37-A1EF-4EF2-B212-345BF0477ED9.jpeg
    7D372E37-A1EF-4EF2-B212-345BF0477ED9.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 17

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes Caysie can plate the inside - she did it for one of mine

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

Yeah I didn’t want to try to convince but I wouldn’t touch the culet. You’ve got heavily clipped corners, which makes the stone have a vintage style. I think it would lose charm without the culet.

I also love the way the yellow is bouncing off inside the stone, but you have to love it.

If you don’t love it as is, I wonder if you’d consider selling it and just trying again with another stone? It sounds like you don’t love the stone as it is and I’m not sure if another setting is going to turn it around.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah I didn’t want to try to convince but I wouldn’t touch the culet. You’ve got heavily clipped corners, which makes the stone have a vintage style. I think it would lose charm without the culet.

I also love the way the yellow is bouncing off inside the stone, but you have to love it.

If you don’t love it as is, I wonder if you’d consider selling it and just trying again with another stone? It sounds like you don’t love the stone as it is and I’m not sure if another setting is going to turn it around.

Yeah I guess I could… I’m hoping it’s just a few tweaks in the setting but who knows.

But then also stinks to spend more money if it’s not going to help.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Yeah I guess I could… I’m hoping it’s just a few tweaks in the setting but who knows.

But then also stinks to spend more money if it’s not going to help.

Rhodium inside is probably the least expensive way to try out something else! If that’s possible without great expense!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
That ring is gorgeous. Absolutely stunning.

Sorry you are not loving it. FWIW I got a D color MRB set in rose gold and in some lights it has brown flashes kind of like yours has yellow.

IANAE on cuts like other people here but those windows do look large. I wonder if this cut shares some commonalities with rose cuts, and you might be seeing skin color. Since you are asking for advice I would consider removing the stone from the setting and looking at it unset, and possibly trying a cheap white metal bezel setting. That’s a lot of work but both the stone and the setting are so pretty that the time and money might be well spent.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That ring is gorgeous. Absolutely stunning.

Sorry you are not loving it. FWIW I got a D color MRB set in rose gold and in some lights it has brown flashes kind of like yours has yellow.

IANAE on cuts like other people here but those windows do look large. I wonder if this cut shares some commonalities with rose cuts, and you might be seeing skin color. Since you are asking for advice I would consider removing the stone from the setting and looking at it unset, and possibly trying a cheap white metal bezel setting. That’s a lot of work but both the stone and the setting are so pretty that the time and money might be well spent.

I second this. I’d suggest trying the plating to see if that helps. Or try the stone in a simple white metal mount to see if you actually like it by itself.

For what it’s worth, I think the setting is stunning and would perfectly suit an emerald, but whether it’s feasible cost-wise for you to have one cut to fit, and whether the pre-determined size parameters of the setting are suitable to make a coloured stone look good are issues to consider.

I’m on my phone and can’t see the pics in great detail to know if this would work, but another option - if the bezel securely holds the stone and the prongs are purely decorative, could Caysie remove the prongs? It sounds like that and plating might easily fix some of your concerns? It would eliminate the prong reflections and may help reduce the tint you’re seeing too?

I know that prong-y look is Caysie’s aesthetic but personally I think it suits coloured stones more than diamonds, especially ones like yours where the faceting is so delightful - why break it up?

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I second this. I’d suggest trying the plating to see if that helps. Or try the stone in a simple white metal mount to see if you actually like it by itself.

For what it’s worth, I think the setting is stunning and would perfectly suit an emerald, but whether it’s feasible cost-wise for you to have one cut to fit, and whether the pre-determined size parameters of the setting are suitable to make a coloured stone look good are issues to consider.

I’m on my phone and can’t see the pics in great detail to know if this would work, but another option - if the bezel securely holds the stone and the prongs are purely decorative, could Caysie remove the prongs? It sounds like that and plating might easily fix some of your concerns? It would eliminate the prong reflections and may help reduce the tint you’re seeing too?

I know that prong-y look is Caysie’s aesthetic but personally I think it suits coloured stones more than diamonds, especially ones like yours where the faceting is so delightful - why break it up?

Ignore my comments re: issues getting an emerald to fit - I just reread and saw you said you’d put an emerald in a setting like this, not get one cut for this particular setting. I think an emerald would look amazing in this setting!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry you don’t love what the setting is doing for the stone. It’s such a beautiful white stone. I would try to use the setting for a colored stone like you said and then get a new setting for this huge beautiful EC. Like you said, definitely stick with platinum since the want the whiteness of the stone to be emphasized. An antique inspired bezel, no prongs, would be my pick.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
So here’s a comparison of I guess what my expectation of whiteness was compared to the ring. Maybe an unfair comparison, this a CZ from Chris. But shows you how off white the diamond looks, and being an E I was not anticipating that.

Edit* even if not that white still somewhat approaching that I feel they are much more far apart than I would have thought-

So is it the bezel, the prongs, cut poorly I’m just trying to understand what I’m seeing. It’s so dark and yellow to me. I thought with the black bezel I’d be seeing black and white. I know I’m ragging on the stone, but I do love the shape and cut style when the light hits it right I do like it.
25D15788-DDBD-43EB-A676-4B0F36EE7EAE.jpeg

Attachments

• 84188B3C-4D14-4203-B80C-F9FAFA22612F.jpeg
    84188B3C-4D14-4203-B80C-F9FAFA22612F.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 28
  • 84E66271-7980-4A94-A88E-E61DD698F56C.jpeg
    84E66271-7980-4A94-A88E-E61DD698F56C.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not that it does or should matter, but I’d be asking the exact same questions you are.

Are cz’s typically more ‘white’? White as the color - not white as in clear/absence of color. I’m not sure on that either - but that’s always been my impression of them.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Not that it does or should matter, but I’d be asking the exact same questions you are.

Are cz’s typically more ‘white’? White as the color - not white as in clear/absence of color. I’m not sure on that either - but that’s always been my impression of them.

Yes, I believe that CZs are “whiter” than diamonds

I’m not sure why, but that’s always what I see with a side by side comparison

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I believe that CZs are “whiter” than diamonds

I’m not sure why, but that’s always what I see with a side by side comparison
I wish I had my other ring it’s an E MRB but it’s with Caysie right now- to compare with a diamond

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
To be honest, given how much it’s reflecting the yellow gold color, I think it’s going to look steely and grey (and not crisp white) if you reset.

I also think a reset won’t solve some of the things you don’t like about the cut, as I think they will bug you regardless of the setting. I’m just being honest.

I do however think that setting would look smashing with an emerald!

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
To be honest, given how much it’s reflecting the yellow gold color, I think it’s going to look steely and grey (and not crisp white) if you reset.

I also think a reset won’t solve some of the things you don’t like about the cut, as I think they will bug you regardless of the setting. I’m just being honest.

I do however think that setting would look smashing with an emerald!

Oh that’s a good point about the steely grey…
Hm I don’t know what to do!
Do you think this emerald is cut poorly or am I just not used to some of emerald cuts characteristics? Thank you

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Oh that’s a good point about the steely grey…
Hm I don’t know what to do!
Do you think this emerald is cut poorly or am I just not used to some of emerald cuts characteristics? Thank you

I think it's a yummy "flavor" of emerald that I personally love, especially the LxW ratio and those TDF clipped corners

And I will caveat, I am not an emerald pro by any means. In fact, I know next to nothing about emerald cuts and most of the ones ive seen IRL were not well cut

There do appear to be some mushy facets, which is what you have snapped in photos (leaving a "window" of sorts and not the best light return)

I think some people would be very happy with this stone (im guessing it twinkles more than it flashes) and I definitely think it has its charms...it's whether or not you love it, and it doesn't seem to be love at first sight!

did you see it unset?

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock

Yes I think it’s worth a try to take off the prongs if possible. They and the shadows constantly catch my eye like a crack in the stone. I want to see the whole facet flash. Something I had no idea about until wearing it. Stylistically they are so gorgeous and perfect but I want the center stone to shine through the most. 6121D993-0B36-408B-962C-30BBFD2F79F8.jpeg

Attachments

• F6DD4705-B759-434B-9C08-E7F2441DE199.jpeg
    F6DD4705-B759-434B-9C08-E7F2441DE199.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 6

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
This is the kind of flashiness I'd look for in an antique EC

Granted, this is an uncharitable comparison bc it's a museum-worthy, gigantic stone :lol:

(and i will reiterate, i reaaally don't know a lot about emeralds, just have some ECs that caught my eye that I have saved just to torture myself)

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I just took these quick color comparison pics for you.

From the top: uncerted I color pear/ GIA F color emerald cut in 18kt YG bezel/ uncerted D/E color mixed cuts.

18kt YG definitely makes the F color look warmer-but I'm ok with that.

I hope the pics help!

5F11EB87-AB05-422D-92BA-A6DB46D2464F.jpeg

70BB103F-1E04-4C26-9DBF-E3B80D089EC4.jpeg

BFCFB7C3-3E66-4A43-AD0F-59B0582CAA7C.jpeg

Last edited:

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's a yummy "flavor" of emerald that I personally love, especially the LxW ratio and those TDF clipped corners

And I will caveat, I am not an emerald pro by any means. In fact, I know next to nothing about emerald cuts and most of the ones ive seen IRL were not well cut

There do appear to be some mushy facets, which is what you have snapped in photos (leaving a "window" of sorts and not the best light return)

I think some people would be very happy with this stone (im guessing it twinkles more than it flashes) and I definitely think it has its charms...it's whether or not you love it, and it doesn't seem to be love at first sight!

did you see it unset?

Yeah I love the shape and the clipped corners, I didn’t see it unset, just videos where I thought it looked great. Yes it twinkles and twinkles a lot, does look dazzling under right conditions I guess it’s just different from what I was envisioning from the videos. It seems the middle is more virtual facets than clear sharp facets. And I didn’t know if that’s just the style of it or if that’s because it has true culet in the center.

No it’s not love at first sight but trying to sus out of it’s just how it’s set or not. Because changing the setting is much easier and less costly than restarting the whole thing.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
This is the kind of flashiness I'd look for in an antique EC

Granted, this is an uncharitable comparison bc it's a museum-worthy, gigantic stone :lol:

(and i will reiterate, i reaaally don't know a lot about emeralds, just have some ECs that caught my eye that I have saved just to torture myself)

Yes exactly I thought I’d be seeing something more like this
Where I’m seeing clear facets

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results