shape
carat
color
clarity

Another LOGR Legacy question/s...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I am posting this in the colored stone section because most of the LOGR Legacy owners use gemstones with this setting...

I am 99.9% sure I am going to order the 7x7 prong setting, some time after Christmas...and have a couple of questions.

1. Can a band be stacked with this setting? Will a band sit flush? I am going to wear it
as an e-ring and may want to add an eternity band at some point. Any pics of this
setting with a band is appreciated!

2. Is the setting top heavy, does flop a lot on the finger? I don''t like a ring that flops
around, so I am thinking I may get a size 5.5 instead of a 5.75.

3. Should I upgrade the diamonds? I am going to order it in rose gold. I want a lower
colored warm tone diamond, like an ''M'' or so....would the standard diamonds be alright?

4. If anyone has LOGR rose gold, are you happy with the color?

Thanks in advance!
35.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Ara, I''ll answer what I can!

1) I sometimes wear mine with a pave band, but it does not sit flush because of the surprise diamonds.

original.aspx

original.aspx

original.aspx

I sometimes wear my BE Pad with my bezel set eternity band, and this is how it looks from the top.

original.aspx

2) I have all 7x7 Legacies, and the only one that flops on me if the one that''s a 5.25 rather than a 5, which is what I wear on my right hand. I''d recommend going with the normal size you''re used to wearing.

3) If this is going to be your engagement ring, then yes, I would upgrade the diamonds. I''m not 100% happy with ALL of my Legacies, but then again, I didn''t upgrade any of them.

4) I''m pretty sure Tourmaline_Lover and Mochi both have some rose gold LOGRs. Maybe try searching their threads?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/8/2009 11:49:43 AM
Author:Ara Ann
I am posting this in the colored stone section because most of the LOGR Legacy owners use gemstones with this setting...

I am 99.9% sure I am going to order the 7x7 prong setting, some time after Christmas...and have a couple of questions.

1. Can a band be stacked with this setting? Will a band sit flush? I am going to wear it
as an e-ring and may want to add an eternity band at some point. Any pics of this
setting with a band is appreciated!

2. Is the setting top heavy, does flop a lot on the finger? I don''t like a ring that flops
around, so I am thinking I may get a size 5.5 instead of a 5.75.

3. Should I upgrade the diamonds? I am going to order it in rose gold. I want a lower
colored warm tone diamond, like an ''M'' or so....would the standard diamonds be alright?

4. If anyone has LOGR rose gold, are you happy with the color?

Thanks in advance!
35.gif
As to 3 and 4, I do think you should upgrade the diamonds to VS full cuts. They look amazing and I''m hard pressed to see the difference between those and the ones on my high end settings.
Get the 18K rose gold, it''s more delicate in color and not as "coppery" as the 14K, unless you want a really coppery rose gold. My malaya oval is in 18K rose gold. There''s a picture floating around somewhere.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I can''t answer #1, but as for others:

2) Mine are very top-heavy. I think part of it is the size of the stone v. size of finger (one is a 7x7, size 3.5, and the other is the 8x8 bezel custom-made for a 6.8 mm stone). They both spin a lot but it could be that I needed to order a quarter size smaller. My other rings are all 3.5 and don''t spin.

3) I would upgrade if it''s for an engagement ring. I haven''t upgraded any of mine and I''m fine with them, but none of them are special pieces like an e-ring.

4) I just got a 14 kt. rose gold LOGR (not the Legacy though) and TL is right, it is on the coppery side. That said, it''s still super pretty. I haven''t taken pics yet. I''ll try to get some in the next week.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the reply Lauren and for the pics too! Helps a lot!
35.gif

And TL, about the 18k rose gold, it won''t be too soft for every day wear? I''m concerned it would get dinged up more than the 14k would...how is yours wearing?

And thanks for the diamond upgrade advice too...I''ll have to ask him how much that runs! I had ordered the split shank halo last year and upgraded those diamonds...but they are really small, which is why I''d like to try the legacy style, I''d like larger diamonds in the halo. But I could really rack up the upgrade charges in a hurry with this project, between the 18k and the upgraded diamonds!
20.gif
I have a $500 budget....I''ll have to see what he says!
21.gif

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/8/2009 2:02:38 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
I can''t answer #1, but as for others:

2) Mine are very top-heavy. I think part of it is the size of the stone v. size of finger (one is a 7x7, size 3.5, and the other is the 8x8 bezel custom-made for a 6.8 mm stone). They both spin a lot but it could be that I needed to order a quarter size smaller. My other rings are all 3.5 and don''t spin.

3) I would upgrade if it''s for an engagement ring. I haven''t upgraded any of mine and I''m fine with them, but none of them are special pieces like an e-ring.

4) I just got a 14 kt. rose gold LOGR (not the Legacy though) and TL is right, it is on the coppery side. That said, it''s still super pretty. I haven''t taken pics yet. I''ll try to get some in the next week.

Thanks for your reply too!

Now I''ll really have to think over the 14k vs. 18k rose gold
40.gif
...I''d love to see pics of each to help me decide!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
A bunch of us have rose gold LOGR rings - most are not this setting, but you could run a search just to see what the gold might look like. Here are two threads of mine with a 14K LOGR setting in RG: thread 2

And here's a rose and white gold LOGR legacy.

I never thought I'd like rose gold, but I love how it looks on certain skin tones.

ETA: I wonder if the legacy settings are less top-heavy if the stones are bezel-set instead of prong-set. My legacy has a bezel-set stone, and I think it sits a little lower.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/8/2009 2:03:25 PM
Author: Ara Ann
Thanks for the reply Lauren and for the pics too! Helps a lot!
35.gif

And TL, about the 18k rose gold, it won''t be too soft for every day wear? I''m concerned it would get dinged up more than the 14k would...how is yours wearing?

And thanks for the diamond upgrade advice too...I''ll have to ask him how much that runs! I had ordered the split shank halo last year and upgraded those diamonds...but they are really small, which is why I''d like to try the legacy style, I''d like larger diamonds in the halo. But I could really rack up the upgrade charges in a hurry with this project, between the 18k and the upgraded diamonds!
20.gif
I have a $500 budget....I''ll have to see what he says!
21.gif
Well, if I had to choose between upgraded diamonds or 18K gold (to keep it under budget), I''d do the diamonds. I don''t wear my 18K rose gold setting very often, but many people wear 18K gold for e-rings and have no problems. I think you would need to check the prongs every couple of years though if you wear it day in and day out, with either 18 or 14K gold. Platinum is the most durable metal.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/8/2009 5:50:59 PM
Author: cellentani
A bunch of us have rose gold LOGR rings - most are not this setting, but you could run a search just to see what the gold might look like. Here are two threads of mine with a 14K LOGR setting in RG: thread 2

And here''s a rose and white gold LOGR legacy.

I never thought I''d like rose gold, but I love how it looks on certain skin tones.

ETA: I wonder if the legacy settings are less top-heavy if the stones are bezel-set instead of prong-set. My legacy has a bezel-set stone, and I think it sits a little lower.

Thank you for the links Cellentani!
21.gif

I love your morganite, very pretty! And I had seen the two tone legacy ring, that one helped me decide on rose gold!
1.gif

And TL, I agree with your suggestion about upgrading the diamonds...that''s most likely what I''ll do. Thanks again for your reply! I''m getting excited!
36.gif

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Hi again...

I have another quick question about this setting... Can it be cleaned in an ultrasonic machine?? I''ve been wanting one for a while so thought I''d ask if it''s OK to use with this setting.

Thanks!
21.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2009 12:37:28 PM
Hi again...

I have another quick question about this setting... Can it be cleaned in an ultrasonic machine?? I''ve been wanting one for a while so thought I''d ask if it''s OK to use with this setting.

Thanks!
21.gif
As with all pave settings, if you choose to use an ultrasonic to clean it, you will be fishing melee out of the bottom of your cleaner.

Sorry to say, I would definitely not recommend using a US on this setting. I just use warm water and Joy, and a little elbow grease, to clean mine.
9.gif

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Hi again Lauren...

Thanks for the reply... I am bummed to hear I can''t use a US on this setting though! I currently use either a glass cleaner or dish soap and a toothbrush on my rings, but I''ve noticed they don''t sparkle as much as they used to and look filmy. Not sure if our water may be harder than normal, we don''t have a well, but I still think it may be from the water... Are steam cleaners any better or safer?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2009 1:42:24 PM
Hi again Lauren...

Thanks for the reply... I am bummed to hear I can''t use a US on this setting though! I currently use either a glass cleaner or dish soap and a toothbrush on my rings, but I''ve noticed they don''t sparkle as much as they used to and look filmy. Not sure if our water may be harder than normal, we don''t have a well, but I still think it may be from the water... Are steam cleaners any better or safer?
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, Ara Ann. I''m just imparting my experience because I tried it once I got my US, and immediately had to run to my jewelers to replace 2 stones. I didn''t enjoy being without my ring, so I continued to clean it the old fashioned way.
2.gif

I don''t have a steam cleaner, but when I get a chance, I just let my local jeweler steam them.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/10/2009 1:44:55 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
Date: 12/10/2009 1:42:24 PM

Hi again Lauren...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, Ara Ann. I''m just imparting my experience because I tried it once I got my US, and immediately had to run to my jewelers to replace 2 stones. I didn''t enjoy being without my ring, so I continued to clean it the old fashioned way.
2.gif

I don''t have a steam cleaner, but when I get a chance, I just let my local jeweler steam them.

I appreciate the advice Lauren! I would be more bummed to lose stones, LOL! I''ll find a way to keep it sparkly!
21.gif

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Yet another question about this setting, LOL.

Do you think this sits too high for every day wear/e-ring? I love how it looks from the top, but am concerned it's going to be 'too big' or honking looking if it sits too high.

And if anyone has any 'real life' perspective hand shots, instead of close ups to post, that would also help me a lot!

PS - I have the LOGR split shank round halo, 6mm...I felt that one was too petite, which is why I wanted to try the legacy style, but now I'm concerned it's going to be too big.

Thanks again!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn''t use a steam cleaner either depending on the gemstone that is set in the ring. Many gemstones are not able to take the extreme heat followed by the sharp drop in temperature of a steam cleaner. Stones with liquid or even gas filled inclusions/cavities might be overly stressed and be damaged. If you are concerned about water spots, spray it dry with compressed air. You should be able to find those in any store that sells computer related items.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/21/2009 8:51:23 AM
Author: Chrono
I wouldn''t use a steam cleaner either depending on the gemstone that is set in the ring. Many gemstones are not able to take the extreme heat followed by the sharp drop in temperature of a steam cleaner. Stones with liquid or even gas filled inclusions/cavities might be overly stressed and be damaged. If you are concerned about water spots, spray it dry with compressed air. You should be able to find those in any store that sells computer related items.

Thanks Chrono...not sure what is going in it yet, but whatever it is will be a place holder for a couple of years. I want an OEC/OMC diamond, but that''s not in the budget yet!

My latest question was about the size of this setting through...if it sits too high to wear everyday as an e-ring? Anyone? Any real life perspective hand shots? (I love Lauren''s hand shots, but they are super close ups and I can''t tell how this is going to look IRL).

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2009 9:24:09 AM

Date: 12/21/2009 8:51:23 AM
Author: Chrono

Thanks Chrono...not sure what is going in it yet, but whatever it is will be a place holder for a couple of years. I want an OEC/OMC diamond, but that''s not in the budget yet!

My latest question was about the size of this setting through...if it sits too high to wear everyday as an e-ring? Anyone? Any real life perspective hand shots? (I love Lauren''s hand shots, but they are super close ups and I can''t tell how this is going to look IRL).
Ara Ann, I think it''s a tolerance thing. I wear a 5mm bezel set diamond asscher every day, and for me, the Legacy looks pretty large and blingy. I have size 4.75 and 5 fingers so it feels sort of "out there" compared to my much smaller engagement ring.
3.gif
I do knock mine around a tiny bit, but it''s mostly because my e-ring is set so incredibly low.

However, I think I could probably pull off an LOGR daily, and I don''t think it would sit too high for my taste. As with all things, you just get used to it.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another LOGR Legacy owner here!

Mine is prong set and yes, sits high. It also spins which drives me nuts. I should have gone down a half size and if I order again will do that.

I didn't upgrade the diamonds and they are stunningly beautiful (and I'm fussy) BUT it's the luck of the draw whether you get good diamonds or not if you don't upgrade. If you want to be 100% sure and don't want to return it, do upgrade.

It is a large(ish) ring and makes a statement. I'm not sure it's the size that everybody could pull off. I have a size 5.5 / 6 finger and it's a nice size. Big without being "in yer face" if you know what I mean!

Edit: BTW make sure you get the right size because sizing can be problematic. These rings are cast and as they have diamonds on the shoulders with tiny prongs, any re-sizing can loosen them.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks again for your input ladies.

I am really torn over this...I love the top view of this setting, love the square shape and milgrain detail, but am concerned it will look too much... I love a vintage/antique feel in my jewelry and this may be a bit over the top for me for an e-ring.

Going to have to think this over a bit longer.
33.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well it seems to be a popular design with Tiffany & Co. This is a copy of that design. I happen to love it, but I love ornate, diamond encrusted settings. I think it''s elegant, but it also makes a statement. I have the 7x7, and an 8x8.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2009 7:02:10 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Well it seems to be a popular design with Tiffany & Co. This is a copy of that design. I happen to love it, but I love ornate, diamond encrusted settings. I think it''s elegant, but it also makes a statement. I have the 7x7, and an 8x8.

I''m with TL - of all my rings, the ones that get the most attention are my LOGR Legacies (and like TL I have the 7x7, and the 8x8, though the latter was customized to fit my 6.8 mm stone). It''s definitely more on the flashy side, but not over the top I think (well maybe my mom''s is...her''s is the 7x7 customized to fit a 10x10 mm stone!).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more thing to note about this setting. It is, to me, one of the best values of all the LOGR''s. The diamonds are large, and there''s as many (carat weight) as on the original Tiffany setting.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Well...you ladies are probably going to want to strangle me...
20.gif

After a lot of consideration, I''m going in a different direction for my e-ring setting, for now anyway.

I DO love this setting, it is beautiful and probably my favorite (all of your rings are truly drool-worthy!)...but I''m really concerned about the height of it for an e-ring and can''t get past that. I guess I am in a downturn mode for bling right now...and feel it would be too much to wear every day...but if the bling mood strikes again, I''ll be back for this setting, but it will be a RHR, not an e-ring.

Thanks for all of your advice and input, it really did help me to make a decision.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your e-ring has to be perfect and right for you so you''ve made the correct decision. Glad we could help you along the way!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results