shape
carat
color
clarity

Announcing my antique marquise e-ring project!

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
To my dear PS friends who have so changed my life (in the best possible way): some super exciting news to share!!!!!

As I've mentioned in several posts, I have a long-time BF and we're planning to get married soon. My man has been saving up to get me exactly what I want: we set a budget and had a rough timeline that the stone would be on my finger around December 2016. In the meantime I've been PS-ing like crazy and have changed my mind about 100 times: I started with wanting an EC, then moved to an oval; subsequently switched to an OEC in an octagonal bezel.... It's been a ride lol. But having discovered antique diamonds and especially JbG, I knew that Grace had to be my vendor (she speaks to me!) and that it HAD to be an antique stone: those broad pastel flashes and the romance of the past had me at hello. So I peruse JbG's website and IG on a daily basis dreaming up my ring.

In December, I was in my favourite section (2.01-3 carat loose diamonds) and although I NEVER thought of a marquise, I happened to click on this gal:

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/2-01-to-3-00/2-44ct-antique-marquise-cut-diamond-gia-i-vs2#.V2jPCFdbslY

Something about her spoke to me right away: I found her graceful shape and pastel-y flashes TDF (not to mention her extensive dimensions!!!!). Then it hit me that a marquise checked all my boxes: I want something elongated (love round, but it just doesn't look right on my hand) with the light play similar to an OEC.

So my obsession began: I checked her EVERY DAY and watched every video 100 times. I worried that she would be sold and that I would never find another like her. In short: I was in love but (big but) my darling man wasn't ready and had previously said he preferred not to do lay-away.

Fast forward (and rewind) to last week: we were in Europe on vacation. Both of us were feeling extra romantic given the vacay factor but also given that we've had a lot of time together lately. I work in NYC and he works in Toronto (where we are from) and although my job allows me to come home a lot (I have 1.5 months in the winter and 4 in the summer, as well as 3-day weekends whenever I want) nevertheless it's been tough to adjust to this long-distance thing (we were together for years and years before this NYC job) and I know he is super happy I'm home for the summer. SO in a moment of love (or weakness!) he told me to LAY-AWAY THE MARQUISE!!!!!! Obviously I dashed to the nearest wifi connection and shot Grace an email, and after several days of very kind correspondence we have put the deposit on the diamond (like literally 5 minutes ago... I don't even think she is listed as being on hold yet!) SO SHE IS MINE! I'm over the moon (clearly) and very grateful for all the insight I've gained here.

As for setting: I'm putting her (for now) in Grace's 20kt miligrained bezel like this:

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/custom-work/1-09ct-fancy-yellow-vintage-marquise-cut-diamond-bezel-ring#.V2jR2ldbslY

BUT my gal is going to be N/W.

Thanks so much for reading. Can't WAIT until she is on my finger!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats beautiful stone, glad you are setting it N/S not E/W as it's going to face up huge in a bezel and might not fit across a finger going E/W.... congrats on your engagement and new diamond!!!

Q

Queenie60

Congratulations! Very exciting. E/W setting may take up two fingers! That's a long marquise and very beautiful. :appl:

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Great story and such a happy outcome! I know the feeling of a diamond you are yearning for just sitting there to be snatched up by anyone!! She was meant to be yours. Love it! Cant wait until you have her set to show us!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, so happy for you! Beautiful diamond! :love:
Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry- need to be more articulate!

I am so thrilled for you! I am obsessed with that stone and similarly stalked it- I am so glad it is yours!

Congratulations on your upcoming engagement. Such an exciting time (and also....diamond). :love: :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone! So exciting!!! :appl: You accidentally typed N/W for the stone orientation! That would be a first! :lol: I think you meant N/S, though, which I definitely prefer in a stone that size! I'd ask them to make that bezel gallery so that you can wear a band with the e-ring, if you wish to do so.

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
Thank you to everyone!

Leukolenos: Clearly we are spirit animals. :lol:

Diamondseeker: Yes! I meant N/S. I love E/W marquises but I somehow prefer this orientation for my engagement ring. Thanks for the setting advice: I was going to ask about it when the time comes in the fall. A bezel with a gallery refers to a closed one - is that right? Like this: http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/custom-work/2-05ct-antique-cushion-cut-diamond-bezel-set-solitaire-gia-j-si2#.V2k9SldbslY

Whereas an 'open gallery' is like this: http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/custom-work/1-82ct-antique-cushion-cut-diamond-bezel-ring-ags-i-si1#.V2k9IVdbslY

?

Please correct me if I have things mixed up. How will these styles effect the stone's light return? Do I want more light coming at the stone from the bottom?

I am on the fence about whether I would want to wear it with a band, but it's good to know that I need a bezel w/gallery if I do.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh.... congratulations!!!! I can feel your excitement through your post :love: :love: :love: :love:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!!! That is a yummy stone. What a wonderful fiancé. Can't wait to see it all set.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting! She's a beautiful stone! Cant wait to see her in her setting!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!!! That's a beautiful marquise, happy that it's destined to be your's :appl:

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous marquise!!! Love your story and your love for these old cuts ::) . Can't wait to see the finished ring, and congratulations!!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't wait to see this on your hand. Loved reading your story, too! :appl:

angela06

Shiny_Rock
Wow, what a gorgeous diamond!! Congrats on your upcoming engagement as well. Please post pics of the ring when it arrives!

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful stone. Look forward to seeing your setting and hand shots. I can relate to your interest in different shapes. Your final choice will be stunning!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
*gulp* that marquise is gorgeous and going to look fabulous in the setting you've chosen, I cannot wait to see the completed ring!

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
Thank you to everyone for your kind replies!!! It's been a month since we laid-away the stone but it feels like an eternity. The schedule is set to have her on my finger by early November (not very romantic as far as proposals go but since she is being shipped to my place in NYC and my BF/lay-away fiancé will time his trip to coincide exactly with her arrival date we needed to plan it all out)... so stay tuned! Obvi I will post her the minute I receive her! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

...in the meanwhile LuckyBlackCat is making me drool with her pear bezel :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results