shape
carat
color
clarity

And the New Toilet Paper is...

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
Ok don't laugh. I know this sounds crazy.

I have a thing about fuel. I like to walk everywhere cuz I'm funny about fuel. I can actually take the car down but I try to keep the journey environmentally friendly. Especially since now people are going through masks and gloves like anything I feel pressure to do my bit more than ever. So today I was the idiot with three shopping bags and a big toilet paper packet shuffling home.

It's not that bad! Just whining because it's so nice to walk on non milk and juice day!

Don't worry! I'm in and out in 10-15 min and it's a really empty walk home where I might run into 3 people in open air!

Maybe you can get a wagon like this?

I live within walking distance from a WF.

Pre-quarantine in nice weather, I would walk there with my kid riding in the wagon, and just put groceries in there with him.

The wagon folds up, and the wheels are quite good on pavements.

81v55vRAb7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's happening in the world of groceries guys?

Is everything back?

Toilet paper is still rare here but you can get it if you try.

Pasta, eggs etc is in abundance.

I saw people were buying lots of dirt at the garden centre (not crowded but just everyone was buying dirt) so gardening must be a huge thing right now.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Frozen vegetables are cleaned out. At least at Stop and Shop. We did manage to find a big bag for stir-fry at Walmart though.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Victory Gardens.
Heritage Seeds.

I've been lobbying to plant a victory garden and been denied. So it's all about getting 5-gallon buckets from Amazon and starting some tomatoes.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Meat is gone from the shelves here. People are panicking about the meat packing plant shut downs.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I managed to place an order with our local garden centre for compost and bedding plants, which are being delivered next week.

We got toilet paper delivered from Costco today, as well as anti bacterial cleanser.

We’re getting regular deliveries of fruit and veg, and I’ve had 2 deliveries of meat from a butcher in Scotland, and got 2 more scheduled for the next 2 months. We’re getting weekly deliveries of other groceries, so we’re all set.

It was really difficult in the beginning getting anything, but we found one source who were only delivering to over 65’s (which DH is), so at least there’s been one advantage of being married to an older man :lol:

I’ve also had deliveries of cleaning products, and pasta, the only thing I can’t get at the moment is flour.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Meat is gone from the shelves here. People are panicking about the meat packing plant shut downs.

I was wondering when that would start happening.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No bread flour. No whole wheat flour. No Kleenex. No Tab (the soda). Plenty of paper towels.
edited to add: I saw a small packet of buckwheat flour on a store shelf and was tempted because I do have a bread recipe that calls for it, but I passed.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Def flour. My local tjs had all paper products but still no flour.

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Sooooo, thats why my sister bought a chest freezer last month! Dh is getting a tad anxious about it; I figure we can go meatless or less meat if necessary.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sooooo, thats why my sister bought a chest freezer last month! Dh is getting a tad anxious about it; I figure we can go meatless or less meat if necessary.

Trump just signed an order to ramp up the production of meat including chicken and pork. I don't think you have to worry.

I still cannot get my favorite TP. Crazy. What is everyone doing with all the TP? :twirl:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
You might find these articles interesting.

:(2 so sad and tragic
my heart aches

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Really interesting read @missy

Always amazes me how different things are in other places.

When we're discussing gems and pretty jewelry I feel like we're just all gem lovers but it's really cool to learn more about how different things are elsewhere.

Probably one of the few good things to come out of Covid19. I feel like I know some of you a bit more. Little snippets of your life.

It does amaze me how no one on here is sworn enemies. Every other forum I've been on has sworn enemies. Like really sworn, angry enemies.

since i started engaging with Australians on line...well you really are just like us ;)2

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I managed to place an order with our local garden centre for compost and bedding plants, which are being delivered next week.

We got toilet paper delivered from Costco today, as well as anti bacterial cleanser.

We’re getting regular deliveries of fruit and veg, and I’ve had 2 deliveries of meat from a butcher in Scotland, and got 2 more scheduled for the next 2 months. We’re getting weekly deliveries of other groceries, so we’re all set.

It was really difficult in the beginning getting anything, but we found one source who were only delivering to over 65’s (which DH is), so at least there’s been one advantage of being married to an older man :lol:

I’ve also had deliveries of cleaning products, and pasta, the only thing I can’t get at the moment is flour.

we got our first descent near nornal grocery shop from our usual city supernarket click and collect on Sunday
no icing sugar or flour or coconut
it was Anzac day on friday so that might explain the lack of coconut

our little neughbourhod supermarket had sooooo much flour, all different sorts, different sized bags and some in reserve out the back and they had coconut and icing sugar
but no baking powder to be found anywhere
and only the really expensive vinilla essenece with the seeds - i left it on the shelf at close to $9

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't been to a store in weeks. My one delivery order through Amazon Fresh had everything I ordered but they had limited options to choose from. Just a few salsas, two types of cat litter (neither the correct...), almost no lettuce, and too many other things to remember. The local FB group had people desperately trying to find what store has flour, yeast, TP, paper towels, thermometers, pulse oximeters, and other basics. It sounds like it is very hit or miss. Seeds, starts, and all things veggie growing are sold out most places.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bean bags

All sold out online and in store at the cheaper retailers.

We went to buy one for my son and had to settle for the one left on the shelf. No color choices and definitely no more plush ones.

Toilet paper is so yesterday now in these parts! We have shelves full. Everyone is kinda "meh" about it.

Personally I'm sniggering at the *******s who hoarded to make a profit and now are stuck with a zillion rolls of toilet paper!

I saw flour and sugar on the shelves today as well. It's interesting because everyone's shop is much more sparse now when you look around at people's trollies.

Ooh my friend told me Ikea and the blood bank was chockers on a normal week day. Everyone is out to buy furniture and donate blood it seems.

That kinda makes sense. She said she woke up wanting to help and the only thing she could think of was to go and give blood. So did everyone else!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mellowyellowgirl we’re still having tp issues. Hope soon that will be a thing of the past. I can’t eat TP but I do value my Scott TP. Single ply please.

:)

Amazing the blood banks have sufficient blood supply due to the generosity of donors!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't been to a store in weeks. My one delivery order through Amazon Fresh had everything I ordered but they had limited options to choose from. Just a few salsas, two types of cat litter (neither the correct...), almost no lettuce, and too many other things to remember. The local FB group had people desperately trying to find what store has flour, yeast, TP, paper towels, thermometers, pulse oximeters, and other basics. It sounds like it is very hit or miss. Seeds, starts, and all things veggie growing are sold out most places.

Yeah my DH had to go to Costco yesterday as Amazon fresh by us had no produce. It is hit or miss. Interestingly there’s more Amazon fresh delivery spots by us.

No TP at Costco yesterday but fortunately lots of produce.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah my DH had to go to Costco yesterday as Amazon fresh by us had no produce. It is hit or miss. Interestingly there’s more Amazon fresh delivery spots by us.

No TP at Costco yesterday but fortunately lots of produce.

Are the lines still crazy Missy or has is calmed down?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are the lines still crazy Missy or has is calmed down?

I have not gone for 3 weeks but my DH is going and he said no lines the past 2 times. However that could just be due to timing. IDK if that’s the norm now. The no lines. They are only letting in 50? members at a time. I think.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not gone for 3 weeks but my DH is going and he said no lines the past 2 times. However that could just be due to timing. IDK if that’s the norm now. The no lines. They are only letting in 50? members at a time. I think.

I want to go to Costco....

It's an 18 minute drive for us. It's not too far but it is a bit frivolous when I can walk to the normal shops

But I really really really want to go to Costco!!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is all-purpose flour on the store shelves here, just not bread flour.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mellowyellowgirl,
Bean bag filler pellets (one brand is Poly-Pellets) are great for making bean bags, and are widely available online. All you need is a bit of fabric to make a simple bag for them.
ETA: Or did you mean bean bag chairs, rather than toys?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to go to Costco....

It's an 18 minute drive for us. It's not too far but it is a bit frivolous when I can walk to the normal shops

But I really really really want to go to Costco!!!

I love Costco. Once this is over you should go. Have you never been? I think it’s well worth a membership. We save lots of money there. Or as my BIL says “we’re going broke saving money at Costco.”

:lol:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Costco. Once this is over you should go. Have you never been? I think it’s well worth a membership. We save lots of money there. Or as my BIL says “we’re going broke saving money at Costco.”

:lol:

Yup I'm a member!

We love their beef, pork neck, pork belly slices, salmon, croissants, apple turnovers, almond meal and vanilla extract!

Haha did I mention I REALLY miss it!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mellowyellowgirl,
Bean bag filler pellets (one brand is Poly-Pellets) are great for making bean bags, and are widely available online. All you need is a bit of fabric to make a simple bag for them.
ETA: Or did you mean bean bag chairs, rather than toys?

@mellowyellowgirl this might be a fun option! When I bought our big bean bag last year, I saw a lot of filler sold separately. You can even find the bags without filling. Those might be available still! (Or make a simple bag yourself if handy at sewing.)

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've been keeping my eye on TP & Paper Towels from Target, I haven't been able to order them online in almost 2 months. One random day last week they popped up and I hit order as quickly as I could. My heart was pounding! They went out of order as soon as I completed my order and haven't been back since. Paper towels are supposed to arrive today and I can't wait!

DH went to a Korean grocery store on Saturday and said they had better stock but was putting limits on highly sought items. He could only buy 1 roll of paper towels (WTH), 1 pack of eggs, etc. Meat section was still pretty empty (this was true even before the whole meat processing plant issues) but fresh produce selection was better than before. So things may be slowly getting back to normal as far as supplies are concerned.

I have to admit I did hoard diaper wipes because at our house that's probably the most used item, and I was truly worried that I won't be able to purchase any. So I now have several boxes of them, and if I run out of TP at least I have back up options :lol:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stores in my area are mostly full with some weird pockets of empty. In general whats empty is bleach...many stores don't have it (but you can get it from most pool supply places for under a dollar)

At winndixie and publix weird branded TP but there's some there. Depending on where you go you might get 1-ply.

Meat department...they've been stocking some random weird stuff like big ass turkeys and chitterlings....lol I guess but they're selling.

Both have seafood departments which are pretty flush with stuff. Plenty of bread, cheese, butter, milk actually (Lots of it!) frozen veggie department is also full. regular produce department is hurting a little.

You get in an out pretty easily the times I had to go.

I haven't been to walmart but I heard they had bleach and some cleaning supplies, and most shelves are quite full.

I haven't actually stepped foot inside of CVS since most of this started so its 2nd hand but they finally have 70 & 90% alcohol but there are limits

BJ's in Royal Palm is now delivering Brand name TP again. They have plenty of food items. I haven't stepped in there, its a 2nd hand account.

Further down into Boynton and lower is where it can get a little dicey, and those folks come up north where there's a bit more selection.

I'm still getting farm boxes. The selections is...kinda weird but I'll take it, its better than than lot of the stuff you see at the grocery stores for fresh vegetables. The green beans I had last week were amazing!

My neighborhood is getting its first bulk meat order next week. This is going to be interesting!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve found out that here (UK) there’s not actually a shortage of flour, just a shortage of packaging, that’s why I can’t find any plain flour anywhere. The flour mills are full, they have catering sized packaging, but not the domestic 1.5kg bags.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results