shape
carat
color
clarity

And the New Toilet Paper is...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol probably just good for the mental health right?

So I can sit around feeling nice and comforted that I have 13 freaking kilos of flour!

And you can get the kids in on the baking and everyone can enjoy and then you can share it with a few friends and neighbors so it won't go to waste. Win win! Good for our souls and mental health which is good for our physical well being too.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Serious question here!

I have the opportunity to buy 13kg of flour for $15.

Should I???? Seems a bit much since we don't bake bread but all this missing flour is making me fear I will not be able to find more flour for cakes (I still have 3kg).

Should I???

Only if you will use that in say the next 6 months
Here there isnt a shortage of flour but a very tempest shortage of bags to put the flour in
3kg might get you through till smaller bags are in your shops again

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And you can get the kids in on the baking and everyone can enjoy and then you can share it with a few friends and neighbors so it won't go to waste. Win win! Good for our souls and mental health which is good for our physical well being too.

True!

On that note I have 20kg of rice! Not by choice, it was a joke house warming present from Lil Sis (we moved homes and it is believed by Viets that there will be abundance if we christen the house with a truckload of rice. So she bought me 20kg.

But I have told everyone I know that I am more than happy to drop off rice on their doorstep of they need it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Serious question here!

I have the opportunity to buy 13kg of flour for $15.

Should I???? Seems a bit much since we don't bake bread but all this missing flour is making me fear I will not be able to find more flour for cakes (I still have 3kg).

Should I???

On second thought that's a really good price

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wish you lived near! I would totally share food with you by leaving it on your door step!

Oh thank you =)2
Were are ok - no one is exactly starving, its just no picnic

...ok you can fill my tupperwear flour container up ;)2

Tibby gets fed on sight and is getting a pot belly - he was a hungry stray a year ago, its very hard to say no to him

I made a chicken stir fry for tea with lots of brown rice, frozen veg and cabbage
it wasn't my best but i had onions and jars of garlic and ginger and chillie sauce so it was warm on a cold night and there is some for breakfast
I broke out the last tin of pinnaple

Im mustering up the courage to do a propper shop tomorrow so hopefully I'll get meat and tuna and his lordship's hot sauces, some fruit and veg and spuds
But i really need baking powder
We have 4 rolls of loo paper and still my energency 4 pack so I'll only need a small pack

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bread flour and yeast! I’ve made a load of bread every week for the past - oh, five years? Never imagined ever having trouble finding those two things!

I have one precious square of my hair dye left - I’m saving it for when I’ve got to get back to work in-person. For now I’m just counting on video chat resolution being low enough to blur out any specifics ::)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bread flour and yeast! I’ve made a load of bread every week for the past - oh, five years? Never imagined ever having trouble finding those two things!

I have one precious square of my hair dye left - I’m saving it for when I’ve got to get back to work in-person. For now I’m just counting on video chat resolution being low enough to blur out any specifics ::)

Haha you are way ahead of me. I have an initial telemedicine call today with a rheumatologist I have never met and I was scheduled to wash my hair today and just didn't get out of bed early enough to do so before my call since I have to workout now. I have been procrastinating and posting on PS instead of moving my booty and starting my day. And you know what? I am a mess re my hair right now and I just don't care. I can laugh about it but I would have never gone to meet a new doctor with my hair unwashed but there you go.Thanks Covid 19 for letting me be that lazy. Oh well. Tomorrow is another day. I just hope this doctor doesn't withhold the treatment I need because I look like a crazy lady. :oops:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha you are way ahead of me. I have an initial telemedicine call today with a rheumatologist I have never met and I was scheduled to wash my hair today and just didn't get out of bed early enough to do so before my call since I have to workout now. I have been procrastinating and posting on PS instead of moving my booty and starting my day. And you know what? I am a mess re my hair right now and I just don't care. I can laugh about it but I would have never gone to meet a new doctor with my hair unwashed but there you go.Thanks Covid 19 for letting me be that lazy. Oh well. Tomorrow is another day. I just hope this doctor doesn't withhold the treatment I need because I look like a crazy lady. :oops:

Y’know, if you bump screen resolution on your chat client down you can ensure your video blurs out any specifics too :bigsmile:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
You can freeze flour.

I'd get it and share with those that may need it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Y’know, if you bump screen resolution on your chat client down you can ensure your video blurs out any specifics too :bigsmile:

Ok please tell me how to do this. :lol:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A couple of months ago when yeast in packets disappeared from the grocery store shelves, Matt (my daughter's fiancé), who had taken over the grocery shopping from me bought me three jars of the yeast one has to refrigerate after opening. So I am set with yeast. It is flour for which I have to scrounge. It's one bag at a time, so far, since no one offered me 13 kilos of flour for any price! ;))

Edited to add: was it really two months ago? It feels that long. I wonder if it was only three weeks or five?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the flour gods were kind to me today.

2x2kg packs baby!!!!

Making play dough with the kid because now I can afford the flour!!!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Small freezers. They are sold out everywhere. I was told it would be at least 80 days for them to be in stock again at Lowes or Home Depot.

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
I am looking for isopropyl alcohol. I use that to clean my electronics but haven't been able to get a bottle since this all started. Luckily i have a bottle from last year but my husband is just slathering it all over his phone I'm afraid that 48 oz bottle will only last a few more weeks. I bought 4 bottles of JR Watkins handsoap for his bathroom and he's down to 1 bottle in 4 weeks. I'm thinking he's probably bathing in it.

Took 2 weeks to find yeast. I've never made bread in my life. But I bought a Dutch oven, a pack of bleached flour and instant yeast. I hope I got the right ingredients.

I'm also looking for a Nintendo Switch. My son wanted one in January but I told him to wait until close to April and well, we can't find it anywhere. This morning I managed to order one at the exchange store. Crossing my fingers it ships.

I noticed that there are no longer any sales on food in my area and that prices have gone up for most food. Whole foods is now cheaper than my corner grocery store. Where before I was spending $50-70 for food for 3 days, I find that I'm spending about $200 for the same things now.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Dried beans are nowhere to be found. You can’t find split peas or lentils either.

I bought dried beans because I assumed most people would prefer to use canned or not know how to prepare the dried beans. I thought I was helping, lol.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am looking for isopropyl alcohol. I use that to clean my electronics but haven't been able to get a bottle since this all started.

Put this into the Amazon "search" feature.
"MG Chemicals 99.9% Isopropyl Alcohol Electronics Cleaner, 475 mL Trigger Spray Bottle "

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
@AGBF Thanks! No longer available... and yikes $15 a bottle! My regular 70% isopropyl alcohol was only $2 for 64 or 48 ounces. Ah desperate times... maybe I'll just put my phone in a ziploc bag when I'm out :)

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought dried beans because I assumed most people would prefer to use canned or not know how to prepare the dried beans. I thought I was helping, lol.

Hehe I don't eat lentils!!!! I'm very proud of that because I'm not contributing to the shortage

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Has anyone ever made yeast ?
its surposed to be easy to make fruit yeast, i think you have to check the PH though

Baking paper is now run out here
i ran out of baking powder but today i used bsking soda and lemon juice and it was quite succesful

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anyone ever made yeast ?
its surposed to be easy to make fruit yeast, i think you have to check the PH though

Baking paper is now run out here
i ran out of baking powder but today i used bsking soda and lemon juice and it was quite succesful

How did your shopping trip go hun?

No baking paper??? WTH!

They would have it at the shops wouldn't they?

If it wasn't so stressful it would be humorous! We had our very stressed PM on TV a few weeks ago yelling at us not to hoard and that it was Un-Australian.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is the perfect time to buy a blingy headband to cover the grays :)

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
200,000kg of flour is due to arrive at one of our major supermarket chain this week.

People are baking with a vengeance it seems.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
200,000kg of flour is due to arrive at one of our major supermarket chain this week.

Wow. That’s a lot of flour. Enjoy! And please share your delicious baked goods with us when you can. I think baking is cathartic for many. ❤️

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
How did your shopping trip go hun?

No baking paper??? WTH!

They would have it at the shops wouldn't they?

If it wasn't so stressful it would be humorous! We had our very stressed PM on TV a few weeks ago yelling at us not to hoard and that it was Un-Australian.

Im starting to like your Mr Morrison:mrgreen2:
You seem to be doing ok over there with similar figurs to us but with more bussiness allowed to trade

Someone in govt or maybe a supermarket executive said what they did wrong is they told us not to hoard and as soon as you tell people not to do anything that's what they become hell bend on doing

Now countdown (that's what we call your Woolworths here) and the PM are saying shop normally
Id be more than happy if i could do that
we were going to send me into countdown in town to do a propper shop today but im just too terrifyed so i just went to the 4 Square on our side of the river
it is well stocked just more exspensive, fresh produce was always too dear there but i got a bag of spuds and a couple of bananas (to help rippen my home grown tomatoes )
The cats are being good and eatting the cheaper food - its only for a few weeks
I got two packets of bacon - actually Gary says i did well and got lots of stuff but it can't be good eatting all this proccesed meat - still like the cats its only for a short time
They didn't have a good selection of Gary's hot sauces but they had filled their shelves with other things they don't nornally have room for to fill gaps, like milk powder
the shop had a one in, one out policy but i was a nervous wreck in there, this one customer looked like she was on P (meth) behaving very erraticly,
i got some chocolate peanuts but now ive eatten then i wish I'd put the money towards a bag of spinach :mrgreen2:

Baking paper back in stock, but no baking powder - i brought the last pact of cream of tartar so i can mix it with baking soda
The whole top shelf of baking things like essenses and food colouring and sprinkles were bear but butter and cheese were a reasonable price

yesterday i read this Aussie article where a supermarket boss was saying people are now bored with baking and they have moved on to snacks...and its true - not that i was going to buy any (but its the same isle as the coffee) and the potato chips had been hammered
im baking so we have something to eat as opposed to entertainment

Anyway the Aussie supermarket man (i think it was the man who gave the finger to that low life that wanted to return all the loo paper- you've probably seen it) anyway he said there is no rhymn or reason what the next thing will be
but with the end of the school holidays here and home schooling starting here maybe families have earned a bit of a pig out !
There is a tv channel devoted to helping kids learn - much much less pressure than our American friends
The PM said a happy family is more important right now, not a screaming match with your teenager over school work

anyeay I brought the chcolate peanuts because they were where the battry stand usually is and the tv remote is low on juice and wont change over so i cant watch the blue ray player which is how i watch the internet and netflex
Maybe the companies that supply batteries are not an essential service ?
Phew - need a breath :mrgreen2:
I came home absolutly shattered and realized i hadn't got tinned pinnaple to go with the ham steaks

I can't remember what the topic of this thread is now :mrgreen2:
ANZAC day has been cancelled but the RSA have suggested a few things to do at home
i don't have any poppies from last year but i have a silver fern punga tree and a self sown wattle tree that is just starting to flower and i have lots of bay so i thought id make a wreath to hang over the front fence
might use a branch of lilly pilly fruits- i have been snacking on those :mrgreen2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Holy s##t !
How many pallets would that be !

I must say until i cottoned onto making banana pancakes last year my bag of self raising flour was 2 years old !
My cocoa we reacon was at least 9 !:mrgreen2:
(It was fine)
Lucky we had fresh baking soda because Gary uses it for cleaning !

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results