shape
carat
color
clarity

And the New Toilet Paper is...

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am looking for isopropyl alcohol. I use that to clean my electronics but haven't been able to get a bottle since this all started. Luckily i have a bottle from last year but my husband is just slathering it all over his phone I'm afraid that 48 oz bottle will only last a few more weeks. I bought 4 bottles of JR Watkins handsoap for his bathroom and he's down to 1 bottle in 4 weeks. I'm thinking he's probably bathing in it.

Took 2 weeks to find yeast. I've never made bread in my life. But I bought a Dutch oven, a pack of bleached flour and instant yeast. I hope I got the right ingredients.

I'm also looking for a Nintendo Switch. My son wanted one in January but I told him to wait until close to April and well, we can't find it anywhere. This morning I managed to order one at the exchange store. Crossing my fingers it ships.

I noticed that there are no longer any sales on food in my area and that prices have gone up for most food. Whole foods is now cheaper than my corner grocery store. Where before I was spending $50-70 for food for 3 days, I find that I'm spending about $200 for the same things now.

That is not good
the supermarkets here stoped sales saying it would put more pressure on an already over loaded supply chain but the govt put the pressure on and they are doing specials again
Lucky we have one bottle of isopopal (eccuss spelling) alcohol Gary uses for screen cleaning but he's in charge of when it gets used

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My tomato plants actually shipped!!! Calooo calllayy!!! I’m going to have an actual vegetable garden this year! You don’t understand y’all, tomato plants are like GOLD on the internet! So are seeds! And I have both! Although, I already had seeds. I have seeds all over the house. But those weren’t the perfect seeds. Flowers and vegetables!!! I hope i have enough for the neighbors!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Daisys and Diamonds what businesses are allowed to be open where you are?

Are your grocers, bakers, hardware stores open?

Looks like you got a good haul!

Can I ask something with the risk of offending (I'm genuinely curious so bear with me).

Are you worried you'll catch something from the big supermarket and give it to Gary or you think it's silly to risk your life for groceries? Is the big supermarket in a festy suburb?

Just curious because I heard your numbers were pretty low so you should be safe shopping?

I mean I wouldn't shop in Bondi or up North (hot spots in Sydney at the moment) but in a normal suburb it seems fine to shop.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations. This is a major victory. :))

My tomato plants actually shipped!!! Calooo calllayy!!! I’m going to have an actual vegetable garden this year! You don’t understand y’all, tomato plants are like GOLD on the internet! So are seeds! And I have both! Although, I already had seeds. I have seeds all over the house. But those weren’t the perfect seeds. Flowers and vegetables!!! I hope i have enough for the neighbors!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds what businesses are allowed to be open where you are?

Are your grocers, bakers, hardware stores open?

Looks like you got a good haul!

Can I ask something with the risk of offending (I'm genuinely curious so bear with me).

Are you worried you'll catch something from the big supermarket and give it to Gary or you think it's silly to risk your life for groceries? Is the big supermarket in a festy suburb?

Just curious because I heard your numbers were pretty low so you should be safe shopping?

I mean I wouldn't shop in Bondi or up North (hot spots in Sydney at the moment) but in a normal suburb it seems fine to shop.

Actually our health district- Wanganui only has 7 cases all contracted overseas and 3 of those cases are up country in the sticks
but i am very afraid of bringing any germs home to Gary, so when we discovered supermarket deliveries half way through last year life got a whole lot eaiser
amoung other things he has - excuse spelling- a lung disease called sarcidosds - he almost went blind with it, so as i don't drive grocery shopping had been a nightmare

His eyes are getting better but the continued use of steroid eye drops have given him a cataract- and not a normal one that can be fixed in Wamganui hospital - but fixable
He has light sensitivity, he's alot better on overcast days and does not drive if its unsafe
Yesterday we had a tree come down in a storm that went through our fence to next door - while staying in our buble we removed it. We had no 2 stroke oil and couldnt find the electric chain saw so he was using his sabre saw
all was going well except it was tyreing him out, and then a branch went in his shin
sooooo much blood
this is why DIY is frowned on right now - Gary is a recently retired builder and this wasn't DIY - it was dangerouse to leave the tree where it was
Anyeay GPs and chemists are going bust because of lack of work because of very few accidents or sports injuries and people are avoiding the doctor - so i thought well lets just ring the GP
But no ! GPs dont do stiches anymore
we thought about a taxi but who knows who has been in there last (poor taxi drivers)
So he drove to the hospital where he was seen straight away and got 11 stitches
Went to the chemist to get the antibiotics and the doc had forgotten to sign the perscription - he has to go back tomorrow to get the stitches out so maybe its healing ok ??

anyway where were we:mrgreen2:
only suoermarket's, petrol stations and chemists are open
no butchers, no greengrocers, no bakeries or barbers, no takeaway coffee - the last two days a lot of focus on what our two countries are doing differently
Food manufactures and farners are working, fruit pickers are needed, vets are working but not pet shops
the aluminium smelter is working, because it would cost too much to close it down and then start it up again
the factory here in Wanganui making 400,000 masks a week is working flat out
Flour mills are working 24 7
but shopping for anything not essentials is banned
Last week they said shops with an online presence could sell winter essentials on line like heaters and blankets etc
oh plumbers and sparkles are emergency only, but if your stove doesn't work or washing machine breaks down you can call someone out - we had a plumbing problem two weeks ago but i knew if i just gave Gary time he could fix it and he did but no way did i want anyone breaking our bubble
bunnings and mitre 10 are open trade only and the only building work allowed is that relating to essential services
the rubbish collection is an essential service, but NZ is basically closed

Our suburb is quite nice, its just the street we live in thats dodgy
the countdown in town is a very nice big modern store - the deliveries come out of the not so nice store IMO - i can never get celerly

So anyway our little 4 Square is close to home, it has a reasonable selection but you just pay for the covineance
I just hate the thought of having to quee up for an hour then being at the mercy of the great unwashed coughing and sneezing in my direction
Ive never been a germaphobe but our region is one of two that has been singled out as not doing enough community testing
Yesterday at the hospital i sat in the car and watched the cars drive into the covid 19 testing tent - maybe 7 cars the entire time Gary was being seen to
but i just do not trust other people to stay in their bubbles and keep 2m away from me
Last week when we went out for cat food Gary saw someone knock on a door - 2 people opened the door and they shook hands and hongied
A honki ! !thats touching noses !

I hope your part of Australia has low community transmission

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

That's excitting
And its so lovelly to shear with the neighbours
im so glad we planted toms last spring
But people here are dumb
So its mid autumn now and there are a couple of seed companies doing mail order
they nornally do like 25 orders a day but have had to stop taking new orders just to catch up on the thoudands of orders they are getting

But people arnt buying winter greens and radishes and carrots to sow
They are buying tomatoes and watermelons
Some people have more money than sence

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The new toilet paper is toilet paper. Costco is out of tp and tissues. And disinfecting wipes. And alcohol. And Lysol spray.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is sweet. Happy for you @House Cat !

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The new toilet paper is toilet paper. Costco is out of tp and tissues. And disinfecting wipes. And alcohol. And Lysol spray.
I haven't seen disinfecting wipes anywhere in over a month. I had the sense in the very early days to order 3 large bottles so at least I have that. I also couldn't find any paper towels recently but lucked out at a local Korean groceries.

I feel like when this thing is all over, I'm going to become one of those people who keep a year supply of toilet papers, wipes, HAND SANITIZERS, flour, sugar, and other "essentials" in my pantry :eek-2:

And my grandchildren will ask me one day why I always keep a bottle of hand sanitizer in every pocket of every clothes I wear :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't seen disinfecting wipes anywhere in over a month. I had the sense in the very early days to order 3 large bottles so at least I have that. I also couldn't find any paper towels recently but lucked out at a local Korean groceries.

I feel like when this thing is all over, I'm going to become one of those people who keep a year supply of toilet papers, wipes, HAND SANITIZERS, flour, sugar, and other "essentials" in my pantry :eek-2:

And my grandchildren will ask me one day why I always keep a bottle of hand sanitizer in every pocket of every clothes I wear :lol:

Lol I hear you. Greg carries alcohol spray with him everywhere we go :lol:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
An unboxing of a different kind...

IMG_20200415_175928056.jpg

IMG_20200415_180144411.jpg

IMG_20200415_180227218.jpg

IMG_20200415_180517826.jpg

Yeah, my plants have arrived (one double red peony and two snowdrops).

'fraid that's my excitement for today. Sigh.

I just have to say, I am loving that wallpaper.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Oh missy
and everyone running low
i wish i could give you some to tide you over
i guess the trucks are full of flour now so maybe the duopoly chain took their eye of toilet paper for a moment too long

Nikki1415

Brilliant_Rock
Oh missy
and everyone running low
i guess the trucks are full of flour now so maybe the duopoly chain took their eye of toilet paper for a moment too long

I stalk Amazon at night (I'm nocturnal now) and once in a while they have toilet paper. I managed to snag a large pack of Presto TP.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Off on a slight tangent but when i opened the internet this morning this is what meet me
wet-wipes-news-item_0.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh missy
and everyone running low

Aww thanks Daisy. We are fine. Just wanted to get some for the beach house because we are probably heading there soon. And we have zero TP there. But will just bring it from Brooklyn. LOL I am so used to lugging everything back and forth now might as well include our TP too. :cheeky:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww thanks Daisy. We are fine. Just wanted to get some for the beach house because we are probably heading there soon. And we have zero TP there. But will just bring it from Brooklyn. LOL I am so used to lugging everything back and forth now might as well include our TP too. :cheeky:

I'm glad to hear you're going there!

Beach breezes sound heavenly!!!

Goooooo!!!!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gracie going to be a Jersey girl ;)2

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loooots of toilet paper today! Three brands to choose from!

Also lots of cheap chicken and self raising flour was back on the shelves.

More eggs than I could buy and lots of seasonal produce.

I think it's a day to day thing so if you go often enough you'll find everything you need.

ETA: In Australia obviously. I can't predict what you crazy kids are up to in other countries.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loooots of toilet paper today! Three brands to choose from!

Also lots of cheap chicken and self raising flour was back on the shelves.

More eggs than I could buy and lots of seasonal produce.

I think it's a day to day thing so if you go often enough you'll find everything you need.

ETA: In Australia obviously. I can't predict what you crazy kids are up to in other countries.

Yay! Glad you were able to get supplies. Especially TP and chicken. Score!

I agree if one goes often enough you might just be able to find what you need. But here in NY/NJ I don't dare go to the markets often at all. The less we go the better it is because of our high infection rate. So it becomes challenging to source what we need.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gracie going to be a Jersey girl ;)2

Haha well she eats like a champion if that means anything. She puts Oliver to the test. I don't know who eats faster. They are crazy cats with food. :eek2:

And if we run out of food I would not be shocked if they ate us. ;(

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! Glad you were able to get supplies. Especially TP and chicken. Score!

I agree if one goes often enough you might just be able to find what you need. But here in NY/NJ I don't dare go to the markets often at all. The less we go the better it is because of our high infection rate. So it becomes challenging to source what we need.

I tried the big shop once a week and it just didn't work for me with the trolley (gung ho as I am I don't like the trollies). And then because it's one day there are all sorts of things that I can't find.

So now it's in and out 3 times a week with just my own bags. If I miss eggs one day, I'll get it on one of the other days. Lol I look like I'm shoplifting shoving things into my own bags but the store is understanding!

It is the pits carrying milk and juice home though even if it's only a ten minute walk! It's heavy!!!! I dread milk and juice day.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried the big shop once a week and it just didn't work for me with the trolley (gung ho as I am I don't like the trollies). And then because it's one day there are all sorts of things that I can't find.

So now it's in and out 3 times a week with just my own bags. If I miss eggs one day, I'll get it on one of the other days. Lol I look like I'm shoplifting shoving things into my own bags but the store is understanding!

It is the pits carrying milk and juice home though even if it's only a ten minute walk! It's heavy!!!! I dread milk and juice day.

Can you get delivery of these items instead of going to the store and carrying them home yourself?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you get delivery of these items instead of going to the store and carrying them home yourself?

Ok don't laugh. I know this sounds crazy.

I have a thing about fuel. I like to walk everywhere cuz I'm funny about fuel. I can actually take the car down but I try to keep the journey environmentally friendly. Especially since now people are going through masks and gloves like anything I feel pressure to do my bit more than ever. So today I was the idiot with three shopping bags and a big toilet paper packet shuffling home.

It's not that bad! Just whining because it's so nice to walk on non milk and juice day!

Don't worry! I'm in and out in 10-15 min and it's a really empty walk home where I might run into 3 people in open air!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok don't laugh. I know this sounds crazy.

I have a thing about fuel. I like to walk everywhere cuz I'm funny about fuel. I can actually take the car down but I try to keep the journey environmentally friendly. Especially since now people are going through masks and gloves like anything I feel pressure to do my bit more than ever. So today I was the idiot with three shopping bags and a big toilet paper packet shuffling home.

It's not that bad! Just whining because it's so nice to walk on non milk and juice day!

Don't worry! I'm in and out in 10-15 min and it's a really empty walk home where I might run into 3 people in open air!

OK sounds like you have it under control.
And it's not like you're in NYC or anything.:lol:

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK sounds like you have it under control.
And it's not like you're in NYC or anything.:lol:

If it makes you feel any better I popped by on Saturday, stood outside the super market building, saw a queue and hightailed home without going anywhere near it!

I'm close enough that I can stroll down to see how many people are in the store and walk off if it's too many.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it makes you feel any better I popped by on Saturday, stood outside the super market building, saw a queue and hightailed home without going anywhere near it!

I'm close enough that I can stroll down to see how many people are in the store and walk off if it's too many.

You might find these articles interesting.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really interesting read @missy

Always amazes me how different things are in other places.

When we're discussing gems and pretty jewelry I feel like we're just all gem lovers but it's really cool to learn more about how different things are elsewhere.

Probably one of the few good things to come out of Covid19. I feel like I know some of you a bit more. Little snippets of your life.

It does amaze me how no one on here is sworn enemies. Every other forum I've been on has sworn enemies. Like really sworn, angry enemies.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results