shape
carat
color
clarity

And now I'm considering a Pear cut.....emeralds are tricky!!

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
I seem to be struggling to find the size emerald I want - not to mention how hard it is to ensure its a great stone.... I keep finding myself learning toward a pear cut, both because it's elegant and it sizes up soooooo well!!!! I can basically "swap" my 1.5ct princess for 1.5ct pear at my diamond merchant, end up with another 3ml plus in length and feel I've upgraded well and truly!

Also.... This frees up my funds to buy my Tiffany Victoria studs!

It kind of makes sense to me to get two things for the same cost that an emerald cut would end up being.

I'm aware of bow tie effect in pears and have jotted down the desirable specs but can any pear experts chime in and let me know what I should really looks for/avoid?

My sisters both wear ovals so I won't consider that.

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Re: And now I'm considering a Pear cut.....emeralds are tric

This is what I'm considering as the setting.

_1024.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lauren, just stopping by to wish you lots of luck with your decision. I am a HUGE fan of antique pears so not much help re modern cut ones but just want to ask if you have considered a chunky antique pear? It seems you are open to choices and I just wanted to chime in about those facets on the antique pears. They are TDF. :love:

The only other thing I could add is that I love the fatter pears. The fatter the better IMO. I am sure pear experts will be chiming in with helpful info and again good luck in finding the diamond of your dreams. :appl:

Here is a gorgeous old cut pear a PSer owns that is TDF. :love:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/old-cut-pears-three-stone-ring-made-by-sk.214720/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/old-cut-pears-three-stone-ring-made-by-sk.214720/[/URL]

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock

Hello missy! Thank you for popping by! Funnily enough I stumbled upon a an antique loose pear at JBG which is gorgeous! I too prefer fatter pears and not too elongated.

Tomorrow I'm going into the city Christmas shopping so will try some modern pears on so I can determine that that's the route I want to go...

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/2-01ct-antique-pear-shape-diamond-gia-g-vs1#.VmWGQ18mLCQ

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

laurenk|1449494295|3958508 said:
Hello missy! Thank you for popping by! Funnily enough I stumbled upon a an antique loose pear at JBG which is gorgeous! I too prefer fatter pears and not too elongated.

Tomorrow I'm going into the city Christmas shopping so will try some modern pears on so I can determine that that's the route I want to go...

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/2-01ct-antique-pear-shape-diamond-gia-g-vs1#.VmWGQ18mLCQ

OMG Lauren, that is a gorgeous antique pear!!! Put it on hold if it is a possibility please! LOVE that pear. :love: :love: :love:

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh have mercy...that is a killer antique pear!! I'm tempted to buy it....I haven't been remotely looking for one, but it's soooo gorgeous!! ::)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

missy|1449494717|3958513 said:

OMG Lauren, that is a gorgeous antique pear!!! Put it on hold if it is a possibility please! LOVE that pear. :love: :love: :love:

Holy crap. Most antique pears are frankly fugly. This one is AMAZING!

DO NOT PASS THIS ONE UP!

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock

It is still for sale at a very good price have you changed your mind - thats one hell of a pear somebodies gona snap that up I fear if you do not put on hold :love:

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock

Ok so I've asked grace to put it on hold whilst I work out conversions, settings, postage etc...... Hopefully she will!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I can honestly say that of I had the money, I would have bought it out from under you the seconf I saw it. :o

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock

Gypsy I feel so positive knowing you love it!! I've emailed victor and Erica winters for halo quotes so far if I go ahead. Thinking platinum and half pointers

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is such a beautiful antique pear! :love:

And welcome to the Pear Lovers Club :appl:

I have a chubby pear. The only advise I would offer is that you go & view them before purchasing. I looked at SO many on my search, and even though most of them looked good on paper, they didn't always look good in my eyes. I have a chubby pear as the more traditional ratio felt a little harsh on my hand. Mine is 1.02ct, D VS1 (7.5.mm x 6.5mm) with an excellent cut, polish & symmetry - no crushed ice or bowtie effect.

_20151208_104414.jpg

img_20151208_104229155.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yeah, I love it. I would slap a halo around that too. How lucky a perfect pear was available. I hope you get it bc I think many would want it. Great price point and a G, and NO bow tie. And VS1. Gosh if I were in the market... Good luck!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OMG Thank goodness you put it on hold! I was having a heart attack thinking you were going to miss out on this antique pear. It is GORGEOUS!!! :love: Anyway you set it will be amazing. But I do love a delicate halo as one of the setting options though you just cannot set this baby wrong.

Gypsy said:
missy|1449494717|3958513 said:

Holy crap. Most antique pears are frankly fugly. This one is AMAZING!

DO NOT PASS THIS ONE UP!

Alex, I love your pear. OMG Bea is getting jealous because I am yearning for an antique pear. :cheeky:

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock

I find it a good sign that my gut feeling has been this shape and then I stumble upon this stone.... I love everything about it and it lwr is perfect for me.

It's just after 9pm here in Australia so I'm eagerly awaiting Grace to check me email to ensure its on hold.

Is there anyone out there who is very knowledgable about antique cuts?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lauren, I think where Grace is located it is either 3:20 AM or 4:20 AM so just wait a while as she is probably sleeping. Hang in there... I know how you feel haha. Excited is an understatement and I think we have all been there. Wishing you lots of luck!

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks missy!!!!! I have never bought anything sight unseen but going on everyone's response and grace herself too, I feel it's a good good thing!!!

I suppose the only thing I feel a little unsure of is seeing any color at all. Grace said it's very icy white so I'll take her word for it :)

Will keep you posted!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

laurenk|1449574745|3958932 said:
Thanks missy!!!!! I have never bought anything sight unseen but going on everyone's response and grace herself too, I feel it's a good good thing!!!

I suppose the only thing I feel a little unsure of is seeing any color at all. Grace said it's very icy white so I'll take her word for it :)

Will keep you posted!!

You are welcome Lauren! And don't worry. If Grace says it is icy white it is and this pear is simply GORGEOUS. I mean you have to judge it in person of course with your own eyes but I do not think you will be disappointed. So excited for you! :appl:

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock

Will I sleep tonight???? Perhaps I need a holiday go LA?

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock

Alex! Love you pear!! Thank you for coming by and showing me! I agree with all you've said and I appreciate your input!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Chunky facets on this pear would be more like Oldminer cut than old European cut, wouldn't they be from that era? I hope you are more into that look then precision as this will be nothing like princess or modern emerald but more like that old antique emerald three stone everyone was admiring at one point but no one bought. I would think about this longer, it seems everyone has chimed in how good it is and the decision is made. It probably is the one for you if you really like it and have seen these old cuts in real life. Just saying I would have preferred a modern pear and I do like some Oldminer cuts of the cushion shape.

I just notice everyone who has replied to you loves it but we are getting no responses from people who are neutral or don't like it. Most people in the world go for brilliant modern cutting in all shapes. This is a niche and Pricescope are getting more and more like an old cut club. Maybe it is a fashion with celebrities etc but make sure you like, Iwould think it may be difficult to trade in a diamond like this one unless at antique places.

Flame me people if you want but this seems like a rushed purchase when yesterday it was going to be earrings and 2 days ago an emerald cut. If it was a few hundred fair enough but $20,000 is a bit more money. How long can you hold the diamond on reserve? I always think it is better to pay a deposit at a vendor with lots of options then you have chosen the vendor but can change your mind on the stone within his inventory. Especially buying from afar it takes time to return and process customs refunds if you don't like and may have to wait 6 weeks for the refund before starting the process again. Best of luck to you.

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock

Lauren!!! Ahhh!!! That pear is GORGE! There are definitely moments where I have considered this or an oval, due to the spread. I am all about a fabulous spread! I can't wait to see what you do, and a possible Victor Canes to boot?! Holy Moly!

alamana

Shiny_Rock

Pyramid|1449578982|3958945 said:
I just notice everyone who has replied to you loves it but we are getting no responses from people who are neutral or don't like it. Most people in the world go for brilliant modern cutting in all shapes. This is a niche and Pricescope are getting more and more like an old cut club. Maybe it is a fashion with celebrities etc but make sure you like, Iwould think it may be difficult to trade in a diamond like this one unless at antique places.

I'm neutral! I'd want to know OP is totally sure she really does want an antique cut. I love the stone and like everyone else think it is absolutely gorgeous and a fantastic opportunity for someone -- but I prefer my modern cut pear. I wanted an antique cut, then started trying things on and changed my mind. The culets bother me, for one thing. It's such a question of taste. It's a tough call though, like others have pointed out, old cut pears that look that good don't come along all the time...

But I do love a wonderful pear and encourage seriously considering one, whether it is meant to be with this antique one or not!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pyramid|1449578982|3958945 said:
Chunky facets on this pear would be more like Oldminer cut than old European cut, wouldn't they be from that era? I hope you are more into that look then precision as this will be nothing like princess or modern emerald but more like that old antique emerald three stone everyone was admiring at one point but no one bought. I would think about this longer, it seems everyone has chimed in how good it is and the decision is made. It probably is the one for you if you really like it and have seen these old cuts in real life. Just saying I would have preferred a modern pear and I do like some Oldminer cuts of the cushion shape.

Flame me people if you want but this seems like a rushed purchase when yesterday it was going to be earrings and 2 days ago an emerald cut. If it was a few hundred fair enough but $20,000 is a bit more money. How long can you hold the diamond on reserve? I always think it is better to pay a deposit at a vendor with lots of options then you have chosen the vendor but can change your mind on the stone within his inventory. Especially buying from afar it takes time to return and process customs refunds if you don't like and may have to wait 6 weeks for the refund before starting the process again. Best of luck to you.

I think the pear is gorgeous! BUT it's good to have a voice of reason chime in here. Old cuts are a niche, and the OP did want something very different (step cut!) not too long ago. My preferences tend to jump around similarly.

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock

Hi pyramid! I totally understand everything you are saying and trust me, I'm not going to rush into anything. Having always had princess cuts I actually started getting nervous about an emerald cut since it is sooo different..... Plus if I'm upgrading I want to really feel the upgrade.....

So then I reconsidered a bigger princess but again, these face up small too and I've gone through radiants and just wasn't happy with anything.

Something about a pear has drawn me in for some time, but I never fully ruled it in because where I live you don't see pears very often.

I have also been drawn to antique cuts for a while and again, we have not much to offer here in Australia really.....

I tried many pears on yesterday from high end jewellers and in different settings to see how I actually felt about it on my hand.... Well I loved it! That being said - these were all modern pears.

I'm waiting to hear from Grace and will determine the length of time she will hold. I won't rush.

HockeyChick

Rough_Rock

I had my heart set on a pear e-ring for the first half of my search, and ultimately backed away from the shape since I fell in love with the better light performance of rounds. But I still have a love for pears and plan on adding one to my life in the future.

That said, I do love the modern pears. I was looking at the more elongated >1.5 ratio pears since I have long fingers and felt that shape looked exceptionally nice on them. This one is really short and chubby (1.38) so that's more of a personal preference there. I'm not familiar with the antique pear, I must admit so perhaps they're all that way. I love that a pear faces up so much larger than other shapes...great coverage on the finger.

It will certainly be unique. Pears are already rare as heck, in my experience, I almost never see them out in the wild and I had an impossible time finding them in person to look at. I don't think I've ever seen that cut before...so if you're going for unique, that's the one for sure!

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock

It's on hold!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow. What a pear. I really want an antique pear, maybe for a future anniversary. Hope you love this one. It sure it gorgeous. :love:

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock

Will keep updating if this journey progresses

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results