shape
carat
color
clarity

analysis paralysis- what would you choose?

pick one!

• AVC

Votes: 25 92.6%
  • yellow antique style cushion

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm down to the final two in my upgrade deliberations.

I ordered two (ok, actually three, but have already discounted one) stones to compare...they are similar, yet so different at the same time.

Stone #1: 3ct N vs2 AVC
Stone #2: 2.5 Y/Z si1 antique style cushion cut by Yoram for DBL

Honestly I am so fatigued from thinking about this. I have talked myself in circles over these stones and I just can't make up my mind! I love both stones in different ways, it's such a hard choice for me! I don't anticipate (and don't really want to) upgrade this in the future, so I feel a lot of pressure to get it right. I'm hoping you guys can help me talk through this!

Here's my thinking so far...
AVC- the light play of this stone is INSANE (obviously). I could look at it all day. It has so many personalities and always has something to say. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it in person- I was afraid it was going to be, I don't know....too perfect? clinical? It's really not though. I'm not sure I'm going to love an N long term, so I'm considering custom cutting a slightly smaller stone in the J/K range. However, going off into the unknown like that when I have two very lovely diamonds right in front of me feels very silly! This stone is substantially more expensive than my other option. If I pass on the AVC, I feel that I will have missed my opportunity to "splash out" and spend the budget on spectacular diamond.

yellow cushion- also has tons of personality, but in a different way. I still get the broad flashes and rainbows, but they are quite a bit different, and a bit more subtle. I'm a sucker for yellow diamonds, my original e-ring was a three stone with fancy intense pears. This stone for some reason seems a bit more organic than the AVC, I guess? I'm not sure how to describe it. My initial concern was with the clarity, being an si1 in an antique cushion- pretty borderline! I know this would be a deal-breaker for some. David said he didn't believe it would be problematic "in real life"-It takes the right lighting and looking for it pretty close to really spot it. I really don't notice it 99% of the time, but I still know it's there and I'm not sure how badly it would bother me long term. I think what bothers me more though is that it sometimes goes a bit dark in places in certain lighting? I am guessing this has to do with it being specifically cut for "yellow enhancement"...or maybe it's from it's current setting- I don't know. I am not an expert by any means. I'm not sure how much these things will bother me long term. The cut is kind of interesting, the facets are so broad you can really see deep into the stone. It is way more affordable than the AVC- the cost of the stone and resetting it to my taste would cost approximately the same as the AVC loose.
If I pass on this stone, I'm afraid I'll regret not buying something so different and unique, even if I didn't max out my budget on "stone" (the original plan was to spend the majority of the budget on the stone, and wear in a solitaire for now and reset to my liking later).

I suppose they're just different flavors of special....
I love the color and how unique the yellow stone is, there certainly aren't many like it, and cut by such an artist. And in spite of it's "flaws", I find myself really drawn to it.
The AVC feels a bit less unique, but more special for it's brightness and light play.

If I had just ordered either one of these, and either had shown up on the door, I would be thrilled! But choosing between the two is really throwing me for a loop.

What would you choose? Talk me off the ledge!

img_11805.jpg

img_11806.jpg

img_11807.jpg

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Choosing is so tough!! I've kind of come to the realization that I just might need multiple e-rings, haha :twisted:

But since that sadly isn't a real solution for most of us, I voted for the AVC. They both look lovely, but the facets on the AVC, the way you described the fire, and its color make it the one I would pick for an e-ring upgrade. I think the other is one I would want on my right hand!

Anyway - I empathize and good luck!!

p.s. to add that the AVC really looks so stunning on you. I would be very sad to send it back!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am loving the love of the AVC. I love the color as well as how bright it is.

It seems like you have more passion for the other stone though? At least that's the feel I get when I read your post.

When you are nearly out of time and still havent decided, flip a coin and go with that one. You dont really have to go with
the one that comes up on the coin but the fact that something has decided for you really brings out further emotion. It's either
"yah, I love that stone" or "humm, not sure if that's the one I really wanted" which signals to you that you should go with the
other stone.

What if one of the vendors had called you and told you their stone had sold? Which one would you be more upset about?

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I would be the worst with a decision like yours, so I feel your dilemma!!!

Gosh, both are stunning in different ways. I don't know what to say except both are gorgeous. I will comment that the AVC looks AMAZING to me. I have stalked that particular stone and always wondered about it, but seeing it on you, it looks waaaay more beautiful than I imagined it would be. Tough choice. By your description and narrative, it does seem like you are drawn to the DBL cushion a bit more. Can you wear just one around the whole day and then switch to the other for the second day and see what spoke to you more?

Please let us know what you decide, excited for you!!!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a big fan of Yoram-cut DBL cushions, but in this case, based on these photos, if it were me, I'd go with the AVC - as everyone says, it is beautifully bright, but also I like the ivory shade against your skin much much better than the color of the DBL cushion.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will just say that I think the AVC is the prettier stone of these two, even though I like the yellow color. I also would like the freedom to choose a setting I liked that was more antique style for an antique cushion than the DBL setting. If this was for me, I'd buy the AVC (and would love to have that 3 ct stone!). I would think that Yoram cut the AVC as well, unless you know otherwise. He has cut a lot of the AVCs.

Don't buy either, though, unless you really LOVE it!

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
SandyK|1464294792|4036611 said:
Choosing is so tough!! I've kind of come to the realization that I just might need multiple e-rings, haha :twisted:

But since that sadly isn't a real solution for most of us, I voted for the AVC. They both look lovely, but the facets on the AVC, the way you described the fire, and its color make it the one I would pick for an e-ring upgrade. I think the other is one I would want on my right hand!

Anyway - I empathize and good luck!!

p.s. to add that the AVC really looks so stunning on you. I would be very sad to send it back!

I know! WHERE IS MY MONEY TREE!!!!!

I agree that I really like the AVC facet pattern. Thanks for your input re: which one actually looks better ON me, that is an important question that I have really lost all perspective on! :shock:

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1464295437|4036619 said:

It seems like you have more passion for the other stone though? At least that's the feel I get when I read your post.

When you are nearly out of time and still havent decided, flip a coin and go with that one. You dont really have to go with
the one that comes up on the coin but the fact that something has decided for you really brings out further emotion. It's either
"yah, I love that stone" or "humm, not sure if that's the one I really wanted" which signals to you that you should go with the
other stone.

What if one of the vendors had called you and told you their stone had sold? Which one would you be more upset about?

That's a really good idea Tyty. Take one away and see how it makes me feel! I know what you mean about the passion for the yellow.... I have this bizarre and irrational pull toward it, in spite of everything! I think I feel more star-struck by the AVC- I never imagined that I would have one (or even like them, to be honest!) but in person they are really striking. However, the idea that I can basically just call GOG and have one made to order makes me feel a little strange. It's very cool, to be sure, but it kind of makes it feel a little less special? If that makes sense at all....I'm not sure if it's bright and sparkly personality trumps that feeling for me.

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
I think you want to pick the yellow cushion :)

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
marymm|1464295990|4036626 said:
I am a big fan of Yoram-cut DBL cushions, but in this case, based on these photos, if it were me, I'd go with the AVC - as everyone says, it is beautifully bright, but also I like the ivory shade against your skin much much better than the color of the DBL cushion.

That's great input, Mary! I like the contrast of the yellow against my mostly pink skin, but I think you're right that the ivory shade is more complementary.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
JDDN|1464295465|4036620 said:

Gosh, both are stunning in different ways. I don't know what to say except both are gorgeous. I will comment that the AVC looks AMAZING to me. I have stalked that particular stone and always wondered about it, but seeing it on you, it looks waaaay more beautiful than I imagined it would be. Tough choice. By your description and narrative, it does seem like you are drawn to the DBL cushion a bit more. Can you wear just one around the whole day and then switch to the other for the second day and see what spoke to you more?

Oh JDDN! Yeah, it's pretty bad. I change my mind hourly.

As I've said, I do find myself drawn to the yellow, but it is a bit irrational and that makes me a bit nervous! The twinkle and flash from the AVC is really getting to me though, and now that I've seen it, I don't know if I can walk away! :errrr:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
leukolenos|1464299850|4036651 said:
tyty333|1464295437|4036619 said:

other stone.

That's a really good idea Tyty. Take one away and see how it makes me feel! I know what you mean about the passion for the yellow.... I have this bizarre and irrational pull toward it, in spite of everything! I think I feel more star-struck by the AVC- I never imagined that I would have one (or even like them, to be honest!) but in person they are really striking. However, the idea that I can basically just call GOG and have one made to order makes me feel a little strange. It's very cool, to be sure, but it kind of makes it feel a little less special? If that makes sense at all....I'm not sure if it's bright and sparkly personality trumps that feeling for me.

To me, having a stone custom cut is very special! One of a kind, cut to your preferences, more or less. Now I prefer buying a finished stone, personally, just because I want to see it before committing, but few people in the world have diamonds custom cut for them. I consider that special!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
leukolenos|1464312197|4036716 said:
JDDN|1464295465|4036620 said:

Oh JDDN! Yeah, it's pretty bad. I change my mind hourly.

As I've said, I do find myself drawn to the yellow, but it is a bit irrational and that makes me a bit nervous! The twinkle and flash from the AVC is really getting to me though, and now that I've seen it, I don't know if I can walk away! :errrr:

Hm....will there be another yellow diamond in your future? Maybe one for a RHR? That could help you decide? And what about the setting....do you love the DBL setting or will you want to change it?

I do not envy your decision, LOL!!!! But I envy the end result!!!!!

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1464297176|4036636 said:
I will just say that I think the AVC is the prettier stone of these two, even though I like the yellow color. I also would like the freedom to choose a setting I liked that was more antique style for an antique cushion than the DBL setting. If this was for me, I'd buy the AVC (and would love to have that 3 ct stone!). I would think that Yoram cut the AVC as well, unless you know otherwise. He has cut a lot of the AVCs.

Don't buy either, though, unless you really LOVE it!

I get that! I would definitely be resetting the DBL immediately (lol) if I choose that one- it's current setting is not my favorite.

JDDN- I honestly don't know if there will be one in my future! It's very hard to say, and if there is, it would be the very very distant future! I have thought of that too, and wondered if it might be better to "save" the yellow concept for later. I had been shopping for a while though for this new piece and nothing at all was singing to me...I was kind of worried! But then I chanced upon an glorious antique yellow old mine set in a 3 stone locally and about fainted. It was much too big for me and about quadruple my budget, but the idea was planted- which is how I ended up seeking out the DBL piece in the first place.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! What a hard (But incredible!) choice!! I think my personal choice would be the AVC. I adore the facet pattern and think it "pops" with your skin tone nicely. But I also really like the yellow, so think you really cannot go wrong.

I agree with others that if I were you I'd flip a coin, and then see how you feel about whichever outcome. I often do that in order to "trick" myself into finding an answer. I often find that I have a reaction of either "yay!" or "oh no!" about whichever choice comes up, which helps me when I think I can't decide. I'm excited for whichever one you pick, because it will be gorgeous!

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
JDDN|1464312966|4036726 said:
Hm....will there be another yellow diamond in your future? Maybe one for a RHR? That could help you decide? And what about the setting....do you love the DBL setting or will you want to change it?

I do not envy your decision, LOL!!!! But I envy the end result!!!!!

I was thinking of resetting it like this...

(or potentially step cut half moons or french cut traps to echo it's big ol' facets.)

and maybe wearing it with a delicate engraved yellow gold band a la victor or cvb...

I'd have to put the AVC in a basic ahem, affordable, solitaire, or my bank account (and husband :lol: ) will start to cry. But to be honest, I'm not sure the AVC *needs* anything else.

r4067be.jpg

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
AVC, all by her lonesome. The N is a beautiful, soft ivory against your skin that IMO beats the yellow.

But go with your gut: there's no use fighting it if you're a yellow diamond kinda gal.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Fulvia|1464315345|4036749 said:
AVC, all by her lonesome. The N is a beautiful, soft ivory against your skin that IMO beats the yellow.

But go with your gut: there's no use fighting it if you're a yellow diamond kinda gal.

I did not expect it to be this unanimous! I am really loving the shade of the N, too. How would you set it? Basic platinum?

Love your avatar, btw Fulvia! Looks like we have something in common! :)

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
leukolenos|1464315665|4036751 said:
Fulvia|1464315345|4036749 said:

I did not expect it to be this unanimous! I am really loving the shade of the N, too. How would you set it? Basic platinum?

Love your avatar, btw Fulvia! Looks like we have something in common! :)

I would set the AVC in basic platinum and let her shine.

And yes, we do have something in common! I admit that I was shocked and really delighted to find someone with a Homeric epithet as their name (wonderful choice!). I am a full-time Classicist who stalks antique-cut diamonds when I'm not writing, marking or teaching.
Just don't tell my colleagues! :naughty:

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DS-m2b's ring is so fantastic (one of my all time faves-her stone is so lush) and those antique styles are so lovely! I just adore them.

I feel like I really needed to avoid pave so I could wear my ring and chase my littles without worry.

Fulvia-Oh my goodness! Kindred spirits! Mum's the word...I promise. I knew it had to be something like that, given your name and avatar! And you live in NY,right? So you must have a very cool job! :D I was a full time Classicist once upon a time...I really miss it! I have to live vicariously through you!

My mom and husband have voted for the yellow-but I have a sneaky suspicion she just doesn't want me to have a bigger diamond than her (she has a 3ct old mine)! I honestly don't think my husband cares and just wants me to decide, though he thinks I'll enjoy the eclectic nature of the yellow more. We did a random number generator to "decide"- and it said to keep the yellow. I wasn't sure how I felt about that! The AVC is definitely the "safe" choice- I know for sure I'd love it, it's guaranteed to be a knockout, we know it'll look spectacular in a solitaire... I think I'd miss her twinkles! I went to bed feeling a bit defeated and like I should maybe just send them both back. :???:

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
"I went to bed feeling a bit defeated and like I should maybe just send them both back. :???:"

I agree with this, it seems to me like both stones lack something you want. Maybe order a lower color/yellow AVC? That way you can get both of the things you like in one stone. :wavey:

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
aca|1464375854|4037042 said:
"I went to bed feeling a bit defeated and like I should maybe just send them both back. :???:"

I agree with this, it seems to me like both stones lack something you want. Maybe order a lower color/yellow AVC? That way you can get both of the things you like in one stone. :wavey:

Yea, I think it might end up going this way. The yellow stone goes back to DBL on Tuesday anyway, whether I want to keep her or not.

I actually talked to Jonathan about a yellow AVC a few days ago! I think it would be trickier than getting a colorless or near-colorless stone, apparently the yellows produce much more of a variance than the whites, or so I've been told- So I think it would have to be recut from existing graded material, rather than from rough, like other AVC's, to mitigate the risk. I have also read some saying that they haven't loved yellow AVC's so much since they have such a tendency to face up super white due to their light return, so it's hard to make them look really yellow!

Hmmmmm....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, I hadn't thought about that as far as AVCs in yellow goes. But I can see how that would be the case. Honestly, though, I'd not do my e-ring yellow, personally. I do want a yellow diamond but I would do it as a right hand ring or secondary e-ring. I just think it's MUCH safer to buy an already cut yellow diamond. I just don't love that particular yellow stone. Here is one with a nice cut that I loved and was really sorry I didn't buy. But it would not have been for my e-ring.

_37349.jpg

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think a yellow ER would be lovely! :wavey: But it is obviously a matter of preference.

I never thought about that re avcs either, but I can imagine that they would face up rather yellow depending on how low down the scale you go. Even my j cushion does show tint in some angles and lighting situations, despite the "ideal" light performance. I guess there is a reason why cutters have special cuts to enhance color though.

Maybe post a question in the cs forum?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I probably need to clarify that a yellow diamond is gorgeous whether an e-ring or extra ring! I am just promoting the idea of having more than one diamond ring! :lol:

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DS- YES! I have eyeballed that stone many times thinking how lovely it was! I am sorry you didn't buy it too :lol: I am also on board with needing more than one diamond!

aca- I also think yellow ER's are great! I am not too worried about getting tired of the color, especially since, as I mentioned above, I am not getting rid of my white stone.

I watched the old GOG videos of a y/z and fancy yellow-brown AVC they had at one point and wasn't really wowed, so I think a yellow AVC is out for me. I would either keep this N or pursue a slightly whiter custom cut. I also ordered an L AVR to check out and prefer the tint on that, though I think that's because it has more of a brown body color than yellow. I'm sure a yellow AVC would still look yellow- this N certainly shows some color, but I don't think it will sing yellow like this cushion does. I think the different "optimizations" also explain the differing light performance aspects of these two stones. We all know what the AVC optics are, it looks great basically all the time. The DBL is no slouch though! It's more of a different flavor light show than being "worse", I guess. It's a little bit more like a gold disco ball, vs the AVC which is a little more, I dunno, sunshine and rainbows.

I followed everyone's advice and wore the yellow all day yesterday. Today I am wearing the AVC....we'll see how it goes :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's the best thing to do, wear them and see how you feel. It is easy for us to give opinions from pictures, but really, there is nothing like seeing them in person!

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
After wearing each for a day, I've decided that I don't love the N enough to keep it. I love the color *most* of the time, but not *all* of the time...and for the money, I need to love it all the time! I am still considering a slightly less tinted custom cut.

I very much enjoyed the yellow, but (still, ugh) haven't decided how I feel about the clarity. It's more of a mind-clean issue as they say for me, since I really don't notice it 99% of the time.

Today I'm revisiting the AVR I had sent (which I thought I had ruled out)....you know, just to be sure!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have found that ordering stones really helps me define my preferences, and it sounds like this is helping you do that. You can tell a lot about size, color, and cut with the stones you have. I hope you gain some confidence in what you really want after your visit with these three stones!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results