shape
carat
color
clarity

Amethyst Spider Ring

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
aussiejamie Not sure if that is for me or Gloria or both!!!, but I am so excited. She has proven to be a god sent. I hope someone is willing to take on the challenge. Thus far no one is saying yes. *fingers crossed*

I read that you mine your own stones. I live in North Carolina near a large deposit of garnets and sapphires and here is a garnet I found in the river next to my house. I am not sure if you will dork out to the level that I did
garnet_0.jpg

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Gloria, Your sketch is amazing! Wow! :clap:

Op, This is such a unique concept. Very cool! :dance: Looking forward to seeing progress on your project! :appl:

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really enjoyed drawing the spider so I made another one using gouache this time.
Not happy with the legs thou', I had too much coffee ...

dscf5566.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know David Klass is a current PS darling, and he has made many wonderful pieces for many PS'ers. However, this piece will have a 3-D sculptural element to it that is not common in jewelry. I'd suggest that you ask any jeweler you consider if they have examples of similar jewelry that they have executed. You might also consider spending some time on etsy and send inquiries to etsy jewelers who have made jewelry in this style.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would shop around all vendors to see their experience with 3D effects and see actual items they have made (not CAD renders). I'm not even sure whether there are any Etsy vendors who have such skill. With such a large stone and gem type, all the pointy corners must be protected.

dscf5566.jpg

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I made it like that because it looks better but it can have normal claws and the spider legs can be on top of those. Or the spider legs can cover all the unprotected points and be the actual claws in the setting.
There is so much more that can be modified and still look great. I just made it look like it did in my mind :))

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1453478080|3979692 said:
I know David Klass is a current PS darling, and he has made many wonderful pieces for many PS'ers. However, this piece will have a 3-D sculptural element to it that is not common in jewelry. I'd suggest that you ask any jeweler you consider if they have examples of similar jewelry that they have executed. You might also consider spending some time on etsy and send inquiries to etsy jewelers who have made jewelry in this style.

I have been looking into the work of MySacrum: https://www.etsy.com/shop/MySacrum?ref=l2-shopheader-name
His work is very 3-d are more like a small sculpture than rings. Have you seen any etsy sellers you do 3-d work? My concern with DK is exactly what you stated, I have not seen anything like what I am wanting in his portfolio. It does not mean he ca't do it, I just have not seen it.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Gloria27|1453471012|3979634 said:
I really enjoyed drawing the spider so I made another one using gouache this time.
Not happy with the legs thou', I had too much coffee ...

dscf5566.jpg
The pearl looks so good! A charcoal pearl really might be he way to go. Thank you for all of your help!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gloria27|1453381558|3979025 said:
dscf5564-2.jpg
Made you a super quick sketch, this should solve the uncovered pointy ends problem :D
Btw, for a more realistic look I didn't use symmetry when doing the legs- this is a black widow spider. I did not use any proportions when drawing the stone, front is longer than the back for artistic reasons.

I almost forgot to mention this - your sketch is awesome! :love:

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1453482790|3979742 said:
I almost forgot to mention this - your sketch is awesome! :love:

Thanks! I'm better with the graphite pencil than any other medium.
Hope the second version helps more with visualization.

Good luck with the project, Vesper,it would be great to see it materialized.
Btw, I bookmarked MySacrum etsy page, I like them too.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the little ruby eyes. I know you where talking about using a gemstone for the whole head, but I like this better..

I also would only trust greenlake to complete this project

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#1 question - what is your setting budget?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vesper|1453394557|3979134 said:
Arcadian I have e-mailed DK and have yet to hear back. I have heard that he is a little slow to get back with you. With the volume of work he does I can see why! Also, what kind of stone is in your icon picture?

Thats a sphene. Only about 4.5 cts (I can't remember off the top of my head which should tell you I probably have too many stones...lol). Likely never to be set considering its softness though its a true beauty of a stone. I kinda went of the rails years ago and bought LOTS of them...(I've set one before, I was told never again :lol: )

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Chrono I was thinking under 1k for sterling. But I am not wed to this.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vesper|1453492580|3979825 said:
Chrono I was thinking under 1k for sterling. But I am not wed to this.
I don't even know whether David Klass works in SS. In fact, most of the PS vendors do not work with SS at all with a few exceptions that are also on Etsy. Check out Sally (Heart of Water).

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Examples of greenlakes work in SS

I really would go through them

100880.jpg

82225.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel,
GreenLake is just so darned expensive (even in SS), that I think it will be over the OP's budget. On top of that, there's a very hefty setting fee for outside stones.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1453495203|3979855 said:
Niel,
GreenLake is just so darned expensive (even in SS), that I think it will be over the OP's budget. On top of that, there's a very hefty setting fee for outside stones.

You don't know if you don't ask, and OP seems flexible about the setting price.

And frankly I don't know anyone else who works in silver, sets outside stones, and would be willing to take on this project.....at least, not someone I'd fe comfortable using

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Niel|1453494931|3979851 said:

Wow, this is exquisite!

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Niel|1453494931|3979851 said:

Why won't people work in silver?

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
People decline to work in silver because the labor to make a piece is the same or higher than to work the piece in gold. Since the cost of materials is generally about 1/4 to 1/3 of the cost of a piece the total cost of custom work in silver ends up being around 75% of the cost of a gold piece and people just won't pay that. People tend to think in comparative terms and since commercial goods in silver are 10 times less than they would be in gold, they assume that the same should hold true for custom work, forgetting about the high cost of labor for a one off piece. I do know people who do a lot of work in silver, but never custom, just short run pieces that they sell from their brick and mortar shops. That way they can sell lower cost pieces and make it up by selling a larger volume, (spreading their design and model making costs over multiple pieces).

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Vesper,
Sorry for the late reply but been quite busy! I was talking about both. We do mine our sapphires from our own mine 10m underground. It is always awesome digging up your own gemstones from mother nature but it sure is hard work doing so! It adds to the sentimental value too if you did the hard work yourself.
AJ

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So I have found someone whose work I really love. I have decided to go with a brooch. Here is the kicker. They guy who is going to make it says brooch would be "too heavy" and I should turn it into a necklace. To me this is not logical. You see the Queen wearing GIANT rocks as brooches. Ideas?

S

SparkliesLuver

Sorry for coming in so late, but has Julia Kay Taylor (http://www.juliakaytaylor.com) been recommended? I've worked with her on multiple projects (sterling included) and her craftsmanship has been truly wonderful, not to mention her communication and means to work with your budget. I'd at least contact her, Vesper, to see if she'd make a brooch for you.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I will look into it. I am feeling uneasy at the moment.

Here is a picture of the stone so people can get a better idea of size.
img_3473.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vesper|1457096056|3999602 said:
So I have found someone whose work I really love. I have decided to go with a brooch. Here is the kicker. They guy who is going to make it says brooch would be "too heavy" and I should turn it into a necklace. To me this is not logical. You see the Queen wearing GIANT rocks as brooches. Ideas?

I am not well versed in the properties of silver vs platinum/gold but could it be that silver may not be strong enough to support it as a delicate looking brooch and that as a necklace, he will be able to add heft to the metal?

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Vesper|1457096056|3999602 said:
They guy who is going to make it says brooch would be "too heavy" and I should turn it into a necklace. To me this is not logical. You see the Queen wearing GIANT rocks as brooches. Ideas?
Wave a few bills in the air and proclaim loudly to your jeweler, "I am the QUEEN and I want a brooch!" :clap:

I agree with you that if a necklace is not too heavy, then a brooch shouldn't be either. Brooches do have more attachment hardware and so are a little more work than a necklace, but that's not too big of a problem. I'd ask what he meant by "heavy" as there may be more to his comment.

Bex

Shiny_Rock
My guess is that the heaviness is an issue for the clothing, not for the actual brooch structure. Normal fabrics can only support so much weight before you'll start getting little holes and tears. You can reinforce the fabric at the pin with a little ribbon, or pin it through your top and onto your bra strap, or wear it only on structured clothes made from dense fabrics (like lined blazers) but it will definitely limit when you can wear it.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A too heavy brooch will pull the fabric down and look terrible. If you look carefully, Elizabeth II usually wears the heavier brooches on coats and more structured pieces, not on a finer silk blouse, for example. Or, sometimes, clothing is reinforced to support the weight (this was very common in Edwardian times and a quick look at Alexandra will tell you why).

If you are in doubt, why not go for a pendant/brooch? A retractable bail would not be difficult and the stone seems well cut, so the brooch fitting wouldn't show through.

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Here is the first rendering for a brooch (only to be worn on my winter coats.)
icm_fullxfull_54.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results