Am I crazy?!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Crikey, what a great looking diamond in those videos

Video number 2 - amazing brilliance.
Video number 3 - great fire.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
@molecule has a great point: You really might prefer a crushed ice cushion or radiant.

We can always find you another great MRB. Maybe return this while you can and try a crushed ice stone and see how you like it.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
If it’s the black arrows bothering you I would give another MRB with higher pavilion angle and more silvery arrows a try. If it’s more than just the arrows it’s probably time to move on to another cut.

For reference

User68345

Rough_Rock
If it’s the black arrows bothering you I would give another MRB with higher pavilion angle and more silvery arrows a try. If it’s more than just the arrows it’s probably time to move on to another cut.

For reference

That is extremely helpful, thank you! I can see how that pavilion angle at 41/41.2 makes it brighter.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is a well cut diamond. The black arrows happen because the diamond is reflecting either your dark camera case or your hair. It’s what diamond do, they reflect their surroundings. If you look at the diamond in a different situation, they will reflect silver (clouds) or blue (sky) or rainbow colors (standing under a tree on a sunny day). I’m not sure what bothers you exactly, but that’s what we’ll cut MRBs look like. Other cuts don’t do that but frankly, they also don’t sparkle the same at all. Go somewhere with really high spotlighting like a big box store and see the light show and you will understand. Or take it to a local Tiffany. But you won’t likely find a “better” MRB.

Is this the first ideal cut MRB you have ever seen?

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I can see how that pavilion angle at 41/41.2 makes it brighter.

Here’s where different people are looking for different things. To some of us 41/41.2 results in a more uniform looking stone whereas 40.6/40.8 produces more flashes.

Definitely take your stone to a place with LED lights - elevator, jewelry store, mall - and see what you think there. Those focused lights can produce bright flashes and fire.

Do you want it to look predominantly white? Maybe you should order the 3.37 with the 41 pavilion angle and compare.

I’m the end we all like what we like.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
My wife had a 34.9/40.7 and a 33.9/40.9 both in the same color around 1.8 carats and compared them for around half a year. She had a clear preference for the 33.9/40.9, so I wouldn’t rule out MRB until you try out a different flavor of light return. The difference would only be bigger at 3 carats.

User68345

Rough_Rock
My wife had a 34.9/40.7 and a 33.9/40.9 both in the same color around 1.8 carats and compared them for around half a year. She had a clear preference for the 33.9/40.9, so I wouldn’t rule out MRB until you try out a different flavor of light return. The difference would only be bigger at 3 carats.

Thank you. This makes me feel less crazy.

User68345

Rough_Rock
This seemingly endless search for something a little less dark but still perfectly cut has lead me to this:

What are your thoughts on this stone? Do you think this might be closer to what I was looking for? If yes, I will order & compare it to the 3.33 I already have & then make a final decision. If you don’t think this stone is going to offer any more brightness, or if it’s otherwise inferior, then I’m going to put this whole thing to bed & keep the 3.33. And I’ll stop bugging y’all LOL.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
This seemingly endless search for something a little less dark but still perfectly cut has lead me to this:

What are your thoughts on this stone? Do you think this might be closer to what I was looking for? If yes, I will order & compare it to the 3.33 I already have & then make a final decision. If you don’t think this stone is going to offer any more brightness, or if it’s otherwise inferior, then I’m going to put this whole thing to bed & keep the 3.33. And I’ll stop bugging y’all LOL.

The 35.5 crown angle and 40.8 pavilion angle pairing may be a bit concerning, since I see evidence of some reduced light return going on under the table.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Here are the PS recommended proportions. Crown angle 34-35 is what we recommend.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I urge you not to keep a diamond you're not totally in love with. There are thousands of diamonds to choose from. The right one for you is out there, even if it's not easy to find right now.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Oooo … the two 3.00’s and the 3.56 have skinny arrows! That’ll cut down in the “black” for @Lauren Penney.

Really like the 3.56 and D 3.00!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

User68345

Rough_Rock
What do you all think of these?

tagging Karl_K

Oh my goodness, the work you put into searching for me!!!!!! Thank you, that is so kind of you. Apologies for the radio silence, this is actually day 8 of covid for me & I suddenly got quite sick yesterday so these last 24hrs have been rough to say the least. I suspect there’s a hospital admission in my near future…
The more I look at other stones the more I realize how perfect mine really is. As I've laid here sick in bed, I’ve done nothing but look around & none of the others that I see come close to the perfection of the cut of this 3.33. I think it took studying a hundred others to recognize that. I do this sometimes, second guess & doubt my decisions, it’s a character flaw. But, the more I compare, the more I fall in love with my original stone. Like, in this pic, you can see how perfect the arrows are & also how it has more colours in it than the others. Anyway…
Thank you guys for your endless help. You’re all amazing.

IMG_5001.jpeg

decogilmore

Rough_Rock
Nice! Can’t wait to see it set! Get well soon!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
So sorry to hear that you're not feeling well, Lauren Penney - wishing you a speedy recovery!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness, the work you put into searching for me!!!!!! Thank you, that is so kind of you. Apologies for the radio silence, this is actually day 8 of covid for me & I suddenly got quite sick yesterday so these last 24hrs have been rough to say the least. I suspect there’s a hospital admission in my near future…
The more I look at other stones the more I realize how perfect mine really is. As I've laid here sick in bed, I’ve done nothing but look around & none of the others that I see come close to the perfection of the cut of this 3.33. I think it took studying a hundred others to recognize that. I do this sometimes, second guess & doubt my decisions, it’s a character flaw. But, the more I compare, the more I fall in love with my original stone. Like, in this pic, you can see how perfect the arrows are & also how it has more colours in it than the others. Anyway…
Thank you guys for your endless help. You’re all amazing.

IMG_5001.jpeg

You're welcome! Just wanted to note that the colors reflected in the 360 videos are largely a result of the photography environment, even down to what the photographer was wearing that day, rather than a true representation of how the stone would perform in real life. But I'm glad you've discovered that your original stone is the right one for you!

I'm so sorry you have Covid but I hope you're feeling better today, Lauren!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results