shape
carat
color
clarity

Alternatives to Leon Mege?

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
I should add that I have only done a couple of CADs and one handforged, but I have been on PS for 3+ years reading and learning. Maybe someone else will chime in and add more insights. As Yssie said, you have to choose the vendor and let them "do his thing"... :)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LeDiamant|1456968054|3998837 said:
Tweeter8117, I emailed SK and asked but am waiting to hear back from him regarding whether his quote is for hand forged. He was basically 2/3 the price of Leon (I hope they don't mind me sharing this all!).

I'm curious about the design process (e.g. when will I get a sketch?, should I provide a comprehensive list of all the things I want right now?, etc.). I also included these questions in the email, but I didn't send it until after business hours so hopefully I'll hear back soon tomorrow! I'm so eager to get started!

Like Leon, SK is a master of proportions. He will know what to do and you do not need to micromanage him. The things to specify are:
- height of the diamond (low, medium or high)
- double or single prongs
- material used
- a photo of an inspiration ring to give a general idea on shank width
- ring size

LeDiamant

Rough_Rock
Tweeter8177, Unfortunately, I’m not meeting with Steven in person because we live across the country. However, he has sent me some pictures of various rings he’s done that are similar. Those pictures plus the ones posted by you and others on this thread have been really helpful!

Acinom and Tweeter8177, thank you for saying that bout letting the jeweler do their own thing. Such a good reminder that I’m choosing these PS-approved vendors for a reason! I’ll certainly try to stifle my type-A tendencies during this process.

On a different note, does anyone know what the process looks like after buying our diamond? The jeweler we’re buying from is here in Texas, but we’re having the diamond shipped to family out of state for tax reasons. We’d like to cut down on the time the diamond spends in the mail and have it shipped directly to SK. If we do that (or even if we don’t), when does the stone get appraised? Will we have to wait until after it’s set? Or should we plan on shipping the diamond out of state, picking it up, having it appraised, and then shipping to SK in NY?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People here have worked with David Atlas I believe. The stone could be sent directly to him, he then appraises it and if you approve the specs he can send it directly to SK.

Does the diamond vendor provide you a diamond certificate?

LeDiamant

Rough_Rock
Acinom|1457034560|3999223 said:
People here have worked with David Atlas I believe. The stone could be sent directly to him, he then appraises it and if you approve the specs he can send it directly to SK.

Does the diamond vendor provide you a diamond certificate?

Yes, I've seen his name come up quite a bit. What is the particular benefit of using him?

And do you mean the GIA certificate? I assumed that would be included in the purchase, is that something I should clarify?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
WillyDiamond|1456769858|3997401 said:
This is a solitare setting you want........what about a jeweler bringing in the Vatche Royal Crown, I think it is U113.
Many jewelers can do it. Just a thought.

edit: Unless you have a giant rock, I am not a fan of the "double" prong look, I think it would clunky on a small stone, but don't know the stone size.
For clarity--the U113 and the Royal Crown are not the same style. The U113 is the Tiffany style, and the Royal Crown is a wirework style setting.

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
It depends, why do you need to appraise the stone? Insurance purposes? Validate the stone is graded accurately? I assume you have seen the stone since you bought it in your home state and it is GIA certed stone? For long term insurance purposes, I would think you are going to want the entire ring appraised, not just the diamond. My insurance company wouldn't insure it as a stand alone diamond. If you are trying to insure it during the setting process, that is a different story. I don't know much about it except most insurance companies won't insure loose diamonds. I believe Jewelers mutual is often recommended on here for that purpose. They also do normal jewelry insurance too.

LeDiamant

Rough_Rock
tweeter8177|1457039456|3999262 said:
It depends, why do you need to appraise the stone? Insurance purposes? Validate the stone is graded accurately? I assume you have seen the stone since you bought it in your home state and it is GIA certed stone? For long term insurance purposes, I would think you are going to want the entire ring appraised, not just the diamond. My insurance company wouldn't insure it as a stand alone diamond. If you are trying to insure it during the setting process, that is a different story. I don't know much about it except most insurance companies won't insure loose diamonds. I believe Jewelers mutual is often recommended on here for that purpose. They also do normal jewelry insurance too.

I know I need it appraised for insurance purposes. But since it is GIA certified, do you think I also need to have it appraised before I buy to ensure that it was well graded? I have seen it in person but I wouldn't be confident in my ability to confirm its grading.

I already use Jewelers Mutual so maybe I'll give them a call and see what they require/suggest.

mamalovesgems

Rough_Rock
Some are great, some are greater, perhaps ::) but yes indeed, prong-tips don't make the master :bigsmile:

It's far more important to find an artist who shares your vision and is able to execute - and would enjoy executing! - on a given aesthetic... that it's "in his wheelhouse" so to speak. I won't recommend Victor Canera for a flowing metal design. I won't recommend BGD/WF for a 'dripping in pave' ornament. I won't recommend DBL for art deco. I won't recommend Erika Winters for a Harry Winston-esque halo.
Vendors have their specialties and from a consumer's perspective... those specialties become more important the more I'm paying...

@yssie

I appreciate the sentiment in the post above. I'm trying to reset a radiant into either a three stone style w/traps or radiants with pave work on the band or a three stone pave halo style. Who would you not recommend for this out of the vendors that do hand forged? I'm particularly concerned with having beautiful proportions of the side stones while maximizing finger coverage, having it set medium to low on the finger and having beautiful slim ( >2.5mm) pave shank. Thanks!!

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mamalovesgems Why dont you ask for recommendations on your other thread or just start a new thread? This thread is old and
some may not realize and attempt to help the original poster who has not been seen since 2017.

Your budget would also be helpful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results