shape
carat
color
clarity

All hail Gene! Mahenge Spinel and other bits n’ bobs

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am back to ogle all your stones, unable to pick a single favourite. Alas, I have no advice on how to photograph spessartites accurately. Green is challenging but orange takes the cake. I have only taken a good picture once or twice out of over 50 tries. :wacko: So please post more pictures. More More MORE! :lickout:

Loriken,
I'm sorry you had to part with such a lovely Mahenge due to health problems. I hope you are on the mend.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I still have no words.

Regarding the spess, a lot depends on the camera from what I can tell. My iphone can capture it with no brown, my canon adds brown and can make a spess that resembles the sun look like a muddy rock.

Back to being speechless... :shock: :shock: :shock:

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am also back to ogle...I do believe you might have missed one, though...What is in your avatar? :naughty:

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful collection, that spinel is amazing!

Rainbird

Rough_Rock
loriken214|1368214494|3444381 said:
I bought Gene's puppy mill spinel in memory of my late mom.....I sent it to Freke to sell for me since I have SLE Lupus and have huge medical bills...it has gone to a new owner and has been set....there is a separate thread about it here on PS.

Lori

I'm so sorry to hear that you had to sell your spinel. Sending you big hugs and hope you are feeling much better now.

Rainbird

Rough_Rock
pinkjewel, velouriaL, Enerchi, JewelFreak, JaneSmith, bling addict, NKOTB, I'm quite overwhelmed by your lovely comments, thank you.

Freke and Chrono, thanks for the tips on photographing my spessartite. I'll have a go with my iphone and see if that is any better. Otherwise, I guess I'll be taking another 50 photos to see if I can get a better representation of it!

NKOTB - I'm so glad you got one of Gene's Mahenges. I really don't think size matters at all, because the pop of color is amazing no matter how big it is. You asked about my avatar and that is only 1.05 ct, but for a little guy it really gets noticed. I'll post a larger pic if you like.

Rainbird

Rough_Rock
NKOTB|1368273750|3444821 said:
I am also back to ogle...I do believe you might have missed one, though...What is in your avatar? :naughty:

For you NKOTB. This is another one I'd like to make into a ring. The trouble is I keep buying stones and then it takes ages to save up to get anything set. :loopy:
It's an untreated Lake Baringo Ruby barely short of 10x loop clean and a hot lipstick red. I think I'm going to have to halo it in some way just to give it some finger coverage.

gfbarruby.jpg

I'd love to see your Gene Mahenge NKOTB, or if there is a thread, can you please direct me to it. :wavey:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I'm in awe of your gorgeous stones! Every single one. Beautiful :love:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stones and rings! They are all gorgeous, but the Mahenge and CC sapphire are making me drool.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...and now I'll add your "little" Lake Baringo Ruby to my list of your stones I covet. :bigsmile:

Lilia

Rough_Rock
Trade
The garnet ring turned out to be such a stunner, Rainbird. The stone-setting is fabulous and I love the tiny diamond in the curl :) It was a pleasure working with you, enjoy your ring!

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
That round red spinel is luscious! Haw can you not spend all your time admiring your hand? Enjoy!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rainbirrd, you have an extraordinary collection - clearly you have an excellent eye for color. :)) :appl:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think we need more pics.

Rainbird

Rough_Rock
Sorry to bring this thread to the top again, but I had to come back and thank LisaRN, Lilia, Wordie, Minousbijoux for your kind words.

Rosebloom, I had a look at Victor Canera's Emilya and it's gorgeous :love:, so I may think about having this for my Mahenge, even though I said I wouldn't have another halo! Thank you for the heads up.

Freke, you're so cute. I may come back later, but I think that's enough about 'me' for now. :lol: You guys have made me so welcome. This forum is the best. :appl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1368385606|3445597 said:

+1. It's never enough when the stones and rings are this gorgeous. You still owe us spessartite pictures too. :devil:

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They are all beautiful!!!! I love your collection!

I can't make up my mind which one I like best so I'll just sit here and drool.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Gene is just such a genius, isn't he?

He really does amazing work.

epgs

Rough_Rock
Amazing colors and Beautiful cut on those stones! :twirl:

Rainbird

Rough_Rock
iluvshinythings and epgs, thank you for your lovely comments.

iLander - I agree, Gene's cutting is phenomenal. I reckon he could take a piece of fish tank gravel and make it look good! 8-)

Rainbird

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1368443564|3445875 said:
FrekeChild|1368385606|3445597 said:

+1. It's never enough when the stones and rings are this gorgeous. You still owe us spessartite pictures too. :devil:

Eeeee... Chrono, you're a hard taskmaster. :lol: I had a go with my iPhone and although my best photos were of my legs and pink furry slippers while I was getting used to using the camera :oops: , I did manage a few of the spessartite. It still looks a lot nicer in real life, but the pics are definitely better than the camera I normally use. (Thanks Freke for the tip). Still, I think this last one will be a bit of an anticlimax - sorry. Hand on heart, there's no brown in this stone. It's like a beacon. I'm not normally an 'orange' fan, but I'm a convert now.

gfspesspend1.jpg gfspesspend7.jpg

Don't worry, it's not your eyes, this photo is blurry, but hopefully shows the briliance.
gfspesspend3.jpg

Looking a bit more brown that it actually is.
gfspesspend5.jpg

Definitely looking brown with my old camera, but really showcases the cut.
gfspesspendflwr.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that spess is unbelievably lovely! Just stunning. Would it be possible for you to take one of it inside in ambient daylight or at night in artificial light? I am always curious as to how they perform, as I am still on my holy grail quest for my perfect spess. :praise: Is this one from Gene Tanzanian material? Love it!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Gah! They're all so gorgeous, but especially the ruby *covets* and that spess!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Wow, you have a stunning collection :love: LOVE that mahenge :love: :cheeky: :o :love: :lickout: :love:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! Thank you for at least trying. I share your pain in that my very orange spessartite ends up looking like a vivid pure yellow sapphire or some brownish crud instead. Your spessartite is so sparkly and bright.

If I don't ask, I don't get. See, it worked. I did get to see your gorgeous spessartite. :bigsmile:

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rainbird|1368298499|3445002 said:
NKOTB|1368273750|3444821 said:

For you NKOTB. This is another one I'd like to make into a ring. The trouble is I keep buying stones and then it takes ages to save up to get anything set. :loopy:
It's an untreated Lake Baringo Ruby barely short of 10x loop clean and a hot lipstick red. I think I'm going to have to halo it in some way just to give it some finger coverage.

gfbarruby.jpg

I'd love to see your Gene Mahenge NKOTB, or if there is a thread, can you please direct me to it. :wavey:

Thank you! That is another beauty! :appl: :appl: There was one Lake Baringo ruby that Gene posted - a round - that I absolutely loved, but didn't have the funds at that particular moment, so couldn't snag it. ;(

I know exactly what you mean about the buying of more stones getting in the way of setting the ones already owned!

Here is my little Gene mahenge, as you asked. I'm thinking of a 3-stone, to up the finger coverage. ;-)

img_6027.jpg

Rainbird

Rough_Rock
Your Mahenge is totally gorgeous NKOTB :love: :love: :love:, thank you for taking the time to post a photo. The color is sensational. I think a 3-stone will look amazing. Are you thinking of diamonds or colored stones to go with the spinel?

I'm so sorry you missed out on the Lake Baringo ruby. :(sad Hopefully you'll find something equally as nice sometime in the future.

Rainbird

Rough_Rock
minousbijoux|1368557724|3446843 said:
Wow, that spess is unbelievably lovely! Just stunning. Would it be possible for you to take one of it inside in ambient daylight or at night in artificial light? I am always curious as to how they perform, as I am still on my holy grail quest for my perfect spess. :praise: Is this one from Gene Tanzanian material? Love it!

I've had a go, but these spessartites are murder to photograph. This one is taken at night with my i-phone again. The stone makes me think of glowing embers. It's a 2.63ct Loliondo by the way. I wish you good luck Minous in finding your holy grail very soon.

gfspesslamp2.jpg

Rainbird

Rough_Rock
Thank you Kismet and stargurl78 for your kind comments. I love your kitty Kismet, with those beautiful white paws . =)

Chrono, you've seen mine, now I get to see yours? Somehow I think the answer is going to be no! :lol:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
We need pics of all of your pretties in one shot. Thanks!

Ohhh...it's gotta be like candy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results